ADVERTISEMENT

Football Some interesting passing numbers for Drew Allar via PFF

Richie O

Staff
Mar 21, 2016
South Amboy, NJ
www.pennstate.rivals.com
- Kept Clean: 131-of-189 for 1236yds, 9TDs and 0INTs (103.0 NFL rating)

- Under pressure: 25-of-67 for 416yds, 7TD and 1INT (87.7 NFL rating)

- Not Blitzed: 92-of-147 for 932yds, 7TDs and 0INT (96.5 NFL rating)

- When blitzed: 64-of-109 for 720yds, 9TDs and 1INTs (102.2 NFL rating)

But I thought he sucked.

Allar obviously doesn't suck but we all know he's struggling--especially on the road. It's okay not to pretend he's playing great.

Reactions: KCLion
You are correct but I guess you missed the Allar Sucks thread some idiot started on this board.
People say all kinds of stupid shit here. People were claiming Allar was already better than Collins after 2 games. Why doesn't that insane side bother you but only the overreaction to him being awful in Columbus? Both sides aew equally problematic. Allar did acknowledge he sucked though in that game

People say all kinds of stupid shit here. People were claiming Allar was already better than Collins after 2 games. Why doesn't that insane side bother you but only the overreaction to him being awful in Columbus? Both sides aew equally problematic. Allar did acknowledge he sucked though in that game
Right. Its a process.

Allar is 19 and going through his first season as a starter. he's learning. He also didn't play for a world-class high school so it is a huge talent jump.

He's played well, overall. His 'bad game' was against the best defense in college ball. They are the only team to give up less than 4 yards per play so far this year. My opinion is that he's exceeded expectations and that is with very high expectations.

But he's learning. And I think the staff is learning with him. He's a pocket passer and we've not had a pocket passer in quite some time and our OC hasn't had a pocket passer either. I expected a much better running game and that hasn't materialized. That has put more pressure on Allar than I would have hoped.

So the real question is about Allar's rate of progress through the season. He had a setback against tOSU. Played better but the team played like crap against Indy. MD is another challenge in that it is yet another away game against a team that can play well. That, then, sets up the Michigan game. I hope he has a good game so he has good confidence going into UM.

The problem in life, like with the Dabo Sweeney thread, is that we grade people by historical performance yet only care about the current performance. Allar is a work in progress. He is still the best QB opportunity we've had in decades.

Right. Its a process.

Allar is 19 and going through his first season as a starter. he's learning. He also didn't play for a world-class high school so it is a huge talent jump.

He's played well, overall. His 'bad game' was against the best defense in college ball. They are the only team to give up less than 4 yards per play so far this year. My opinion is that he's exceeded expectations and that is with very high expectations.

But he's learning. And I think the staff is learning with him. He's a pocket passer and we've not had a pocket passer in quite some time and our OC hasn't had a pocket passer either. I expected a much better running game and that hasn't materialized. That has put more pressure on Allar than I would have hoped.

So the real question is about Allar's rate of progress through the season. He had a setback against tOSU. Played better but the team played like crap against Indy. MD is another challenge in that it is yet another away game against a team that can play well. That, then, sets up the Michigan game. I hope he has a good game so he has good confidence going into UM.

The problem in life, like with the Dabo Sweeney thread, is that we grade people by historical performance yet only care about the current performance. Allar is a work in progress. He is still the best QB opportunity we've had in decades.
I agree with most of this. I'd say he's had multiple bad games that was just the only one that cost us a game. I do agree he has unlimited potential and I can't wait to see how well he's playing this time next year. We need patience but most of the frustrated directed at him is the coaching staff's inability to prepare him for that game. We played nothing but cupcakes until then and we refused to open things up.

I agree with most of this. I'd say he's had multiple bad games that was just the only one that cost us a game. I do agree he has unlimited potential and I can't wait to see how well he's playing this time next year. We need patience but most of the frustrated directed at him is the coaching staff's inability to prepare him for that game. We played nothing but cupcakes until then and we refused to open things up.
And the shame that there are several Fr QBs with lesser talent that have been coached up by other staffs.

• Wow
Reactions: psu1969a
You are correct but I guess you missed the Allar Sucks thread some idiot started on this board.
MORON---it was in the 3rd quarter of the OSU game----in which he sucked....I mean he really sucked in that one. And only a MORON would have said other wise. BTW my post said I hope he proves me wrong---which he didn't in that game. Hopefully he will have learned from the OSU game and plays well against Michigan since there are only two games that matter on the schedule.

So basically he has a problem dealing with pressure, but is great at recognizing and beating the blitz.

Hey dude I was on record as saying we needed to hold the phone on him being better than Collins after 2 games. My specific post was that sitting in Row 57 of the North end zone since 1978, I never saw any QB throw the ball better in the stadium than Collins did in 1994. That includes Marino, Brees, etc. I also said Allar was bad at Columbus. However, I wasn’t giving up on a kid starting his 7th game based on that performance, especially since the play calling in that game didn’t do a damn thing to help him out. Allar is a work in progress as most 1st year starting QBs are.

MORON---it was in the 3rd quarter of the OSU game----in which he sucked....I mean he really sucked in that one. And only a MORON would have said other wise. BTW my post said I hope he proves me wrong---which he didn't in that game. Hopefully he will have learned from the OSU game and plays well against Michigan since there are only two games that matter on the schedule.
The idiot himself replies.

Hey dude I was on record as saying we needed to hold the phone on him being better than Collins after 2 games. My specific post was that sitting in Row 57 of the North end zone since 1978, I never saw any QB throw the ball better in the stadium than Collins did in 1994. That includes Marino, Brees, etc. I also said Allar was bad at Columbus. However, I wasn’t giving up on a kid starting his 7th game based on that performance, especially since the play calling in that game didn’t do a damn thing to help him out. Allar is a work in progress as most 1st year starting QBs are.
I'm fine with all of this. No disagreement. It's just people on both sides are to blame. When people start talking about him being the best Penn State QB ever without proving it others will overreact when he plays like he did against Ohio State. Same goes for a ton of people here claiming he had the best RBs in the nation. They haven't lived up to that so far this season and when people acknowledge their poor play (Singleton especially has been subpar) it becomes a war because of the hype surrounding them. I know it's just fans being fans but both sides need to relax lol

I've never seen ANYONE throw the football better than Dan Marino, win OR lose.

Think what you will about Allar. I think he has great potential. I believe that he has been hampered by a questionable OL and WR's that are not up to the speed of previous WR's in quickness and ability to separate. That same OL is not making room for two potentially great RBs. If you do not have a solid, productive OL, the QB will feel it and it will disrupt his game and confidence. How much coaching is effecting his performance, I am not sure. With the same line that the QB's have at Michigan or OSU, he might look like the top prospect he really is - so how about backing off and giving the kid a chance to develop. He will have a tough game against Michigan, Maryland, and Rutgers. We can make things better or worse. We should know by know that the whole offense in college and pro football depends upon the OL. The OL makes the passing and running game work. If we cannot stabilize the OL, then I see potentially 2, if not three more loses. Sorry, the great D can only do so much.

Reactions: Obliviax
I would never use PFF to make any kind of argument. Their grading is very random.

Kenny Pickett scored a PFF 76.8 this past weekend overall and his passing grade was a 72.1. That was with 10/16 for 73 yards 0 TD's 0 Int's.

When you consider that average play is a 60 you can see the problem.

Except you didn’t say, “Allar is having a lousy game”, which would have been both accurate and acceptable. However, what you did was start a whole new thread entitled “ALLAR SUCKS”, and now you’re attempting to both backtrack and double down simultaneously, which is further evidence of both your limited intellect and immaturity.

Something to keep in mind about Allar’s potential growth at the position. And whether he sucks or is Hackenberg 2.0. In 1993 Kerry Collins went to Ohio State as the starter. He lost 24-6. He was 13 of 39 for 139 yards. He threw 4 interceptions that day. And he lost to Michigan the week before that. For the 1993 season Collins completed 50.8 percent of his passes for 1605 yards. He had 13 TD’s to 11 interceptions.

In 1994 Collins was undefeated and was All-American. He was taken 5th overall in the NFL draft. He also lead Penn State to a 63-14 victory over Ohio State. Just because Allar had a bad game against Ohio State doesn’t mean he’s reached his ceiling or he sucks.

Something to keep in mind about Allar’s potential growth at the position. And whether he sucks or is Hackenberg 2.0. In 1993 Kerry Collins went to Ohio State as the starter. He lost 24-6. He was 13 of 39 for 139 yards. He threw 4 interceptions that day. And he lost to Michigan the week before that. For the 1993 season Collins completed 50.8 percent of his passes for 1605 yards. He had 13 TD’s to 11 interceptions.

In 1994 Collins was undefeated and was All-American. He was taken 5th overall in the NFL draft. He also lead Penn State to a 63-14 victory over Ohio State. Just because Allar had a bad game against Ohio State doesn’t mean he’s reached his ceiling or he sucks.
Yes, and Collins really didn't turn the corner in 1993 until PSU fell way behind at MSU in the last game of the season and he was forced to lead the team in a monumental comeback. He then led PSU to a Citrus Bowl victory against a good Tennessee team and was a Heisman Trophy finalist in 1994. I'm hoping that Allar has that "moment" very soon when things click for him and he's able to fully realize all of his talents. Of course, some of this is up to the coaches to help him reach that level.

Yes, and Collins really didn't turn the corner in 1993 until PSU fell way behind at MSU in the last game of the season and he was forced to lead the team in a monumental comeback. He then led PSU to a Citrus Bowl victory against a good Tennessee team and was a Heisman Trophy finalist in 1994. I'm hoping that Allar has that "moment" very soon when things click for him and he's able to fully realize all of his talents. Of course, some of this is up to the coaches to help him reach that level.
Yeah, wouldn't hurt to have an O-line the caliber of Keith Conlin, Bucky Greeley, Jeff Hartings, Andre Johnson, and Marco Rivera.

Or receivers as good as Bobby Engram, Freddy Scott, and Kyle Brady.

That said, I believe Allar will continue to improve and emerge as a star.

Yeah, wouldn't hurt to have an O-line the caliber of Keith Conlin, Bucky Greeley, Jeff Hartings, Andre Johnson, and Marco Rivera.

Or receivers as good as Bobby Engram, Freddy Scott, and Kyle Brady.

That said, I believe Allar will continue to improve and emerge as a star.
I believe that he has acquitted himself very well in the home games with the offense that he's been given to run; if he continues to improve, which he should, I look forward to watching the Allar who has played the home games, because he should lead PSU to a lot of wins. However, he's looked like a different player in the road games, which I hope improves on Saturday. However, like I said, the coaches need to put him in a better position to succeed in addition to him needing to execute what he's given much better in the road games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT