ADVERTISEMENT

Some needs for the PSU Team this year

PSU Soupy

Aug 3, 2008
Wow, off to a great start 3-0.........blowing out Auburn in Auburn was a very pleasant surprise. So I am going to nitpick a little with pointing out some things that I have not yet seen from this team:
1) Deep threat to take the cover off of the defense. Omari Evans can he be that guy.......It does not seem as if Tinsley is super fast but he has gotten deep a few times and has great strength and hands to catch the deep ball. Do we have that guy that scare tOSU or MICH?
2) Consistent pressure from DTs.....getting good pressure off of the edges and with blitzes....can Beamon, Mustipher get home and push the pocket?
3) Stopping 3rd and long....both Purdue and Auburn were able to beat our prevent defense.
4) Saw real improvement on picking up 3rd downs against Auburn....helpful when the running game is working so well and the distance to go, not so great.

Any other things to look for? Overall the first 3 wins....the talent from the younger players: Carter, King, King, Chop Robinson, DDS, Durant, Wheatley, Allar, Allen, and Singleton......this year looks good and the future looks bright.

Wow, off to a great start 3-0.........blowing out Auburn in Auburn was a very pleasant surprise. So I am going to nitpick a little with pointing out some things that I have not yet seen from this team:
1) Deep threat to take the cover off of the defense. Omari Evans can he be that guy.......It does not seem as if Tinsley is super fast but he has gotten deep a few times and has great strength and hands to catch the deep ball. Do we have that guy that scare tOSU or MICH?
2) Consistent pressure from DTs.....getting good pressure off of the edges and with blitzes....can Beamon, Mustipher get home and push the pocket?
3) Stopping 3rd and long....both Purdue and Auburn were able to beat our prevent defense.
4) Saw real improvement on picking up 3rd downs against Auburn....helpful when the running game is working so well and the distance to go, not so great.

Any other things to look for? Overall the first 3 wins....the talent from the younger players: Carter, King, King, Chop Robinson, DDS, Durant, Wheatley, Allar, Allen, and Singleton......this year looks good and the future looks bright.
They have multiple deep threats and I think the DTs are fine.

We agree completely... the prevent D must go but not just at PSU. It should be universally banned from the sport... period.

Reactions: RickinDayton
The deep throws are great when they work out. But so far the offense is getting chunk plays without having to take many deep shots that usually have less chance of being completed and a greater chance of creating 3rd and longs. And the offense has been able to put together sustained drives for scores without throwing deep. Gotta like what the offense has been able to do so far......

Last edited:
Reactions: GastonLion
Agreed, while I think we have the deep threats at WR, we haven't been successful. Perhap as teams watch film of Auburn and respect the running game the deep threat will open up more.

I am not sure what is going on with our 3rd and long defenses. It looks like teams throw under the deep cover and they run for a first down or the QB scrambles into the open area abandoned by really deep S's. In a zone, these things shouldn't happen. PSU may have underestimated Aubun's QBs running ability. Regardless, your point about 3rd and long is spot on. It has been the most glaring weakness of the Diaz Defense so far.

Reactions: royboy
Agreed, while I think we have the deep threats at WR, we haven't been successful. Perhap as teams watch film of Auburn and respect the running game the deep threat will open up more.

I am not sure what is going on with our 3rd and long defenses. It looks like teams throw under the deep cover and they run for a first down or the QB scrambles into the open area abandoned by really deep S's. In a zone, these things shouldn't happen. PSU may have underestimated Aubun's QBs running ability. Regardless, your point about 3rd and long is spot on. It has been the most glaring weakness of the Diaz Defense so far.
That can hurt PSU when we play Michigan w/J.J. McCarthy @ QB. He is a very good scrambler who can pass.

Reactions: Obliviax

RT has to be considered a big issue; Caedan's PFF grade through the first 3 weeks has been pretty bad. That is an area that has to get improved especially with some heavies coming up on the schedule.

Reactions: PSU Soupy
RT has to be considered a big issue; Caedan's PFF grade through the first 3 weeks has been pretty bad. That is an area that has to get improved especially with some heavies coming up on the schedule.
Effner has pleasantly surprised......he got beat a few times in Game#2......played well against Auburn.

Reactions: scrivener
Effner has pleasantly surprised......he got beat a few times in Game#2......played well against Auburn.
Yep, he has done a decent job spelling for Caedan. But, overall, RT certainly needs an uptick. Hopefully these next two weeks, we can improve that area before October rolls around

Reactions: PSU Soupy
You get the feeling that Chop Robinson must create havoc when we go 1s vs. 1s.

Wallace not fast enough.......Effner not as talented. Fearful that Mich and tOSU have a Chop Robinson like player at that position.

Wallace not fast enough.......Effner not as talented. Fearful that Mich and tOSU have a Chop Robinson like player at that position.
For sure...and no doubt those two programs have talented guys up front, especially Michigan. Losing Hutchinson and Ojabo certainly is impactful, but Michigan at the very least, is typically a physical football team. Hopefully our OL by that time in mid-October can hold up just enough to let Cliff have some time to throw.

Run Singleton to the left away from Wallace.

I really believe the threat of a legitimate running game gives us a good shot against scUM, (better than 31% or whatever the FPI index says) and will keep it interesting against Ohiya.

3rd and long needs to be cleaned up for sure. I think the Auburn O-Line is pretty good so I am encouraged how disruptive the D was against them and particularly the front 7. I know scUM and O$U will be better than Auburn on both sides of the ball just don't know how much better and if we can hold our own or if they can both dominate us. So not sure about DTs. I do think Abdul Carter will be another great PSU LB.

Yep, he has done a decent job spelling for Caedan. But, overall, RT certainly needs an uptick. Hopefully these next two weeks, we can improve that area before October rolls around
Wallace has pretty much been performing at the same level for multiple years, contributing the whole time to PSU's annemic OL. Expecting him to turn on a light and morph into a competent right OT is like wishing on a star, or depending on the tooth fairy for your retirement comforts.

Franklin and Trautwein need to work up the stones to put a new player at right OT. Period.

And time is running out for a change in OL personnel with the goal to have continuity for the Michigan game. Make the change this week so that the new OL combination has a chance to gel this week and during the Northwestern game so that PSU can pound the ground game right at Michigan and give Clifford the protection he needs to air it out as well.

That’s because of the frequency of the blitzes. Nothing more exasperating that seeing the team get another team and then give up an easy 1st down with a telegraphed blitz.

I agree with the deep threat not being used much, but we really have not had to throw deep to open things up, so why do it. Neither Tinsley or Washington are blazing, but both get open, catch the ball and are good athletes with the ball in their hands. I agree with RIP regarding the D tackles playing well. If we need pressure from the tackle position 52 is the man.

I would like us to play man as much as possible. Our guys just seem better at it and don't lose guys in the middle of the field like we do with zone. Overall, coverage is great, if not a bit too handsy.

More balls in the seams to tight ends and more throws to running backs. These are really nitpicking because when other things are working why try something else.

Wallace has pretty much been performing at the same level for multiple years, contributing the whole time to PSU's annemic OL. Expecting him to turn on a light and morph into a competent right OT is like wishing on a star, or depending on the tooth fairy for your retirement comforts.

Franklin and Trautwein need to work up the stones to put a new player at right OT. Period.

And time is running out for a change in OL personnel with the goal to have continuity for the Michigan game. Make the change this week so that the new OL combination has a chance to gel this week and during the Northwestern game so that PSU can pound the ground game right at Michigan and give Clifford the protection he needs to air it out as well.
You are right...CW has been an average at best OL performer since he started. I guess you could always make the switch to Effner as the starter and then rotating CW in, especially for running downs where he performs a little 'better'. It's his pass protection which is bad. CW looks like he is built more for the inside; and wasn't Tengwall recruited initially to be a tackle, or do I have that wrong? I could have sworn he played a little for Rasheed last year, another slow footed, heavy legged guy that never got it done. Tackle seems to be an issue in development.

You are right...CW has been an average at best OL performer since he started. I guess you could always make the switch to Effner as the starter and then rotating CW in, especially for running downs where he performs a little 'better'. It's his pass protection which is bad. CW looks like he is built more for the inside; and wasn't Tengwall recruited initially to be a tackle, or do I have that wrong? I could have sworn he played a little for Rasheed last year, another slow footed, heavy legged guy that never got it done. Tackle seems to be an issue in development.
Tengwall played well at Left Guard vs Auburn -- got out quick when he pulled to lead running plays; blocked solidly; with some experience he is playing with more confidence. Just my opinion, but Tengwall is well situated where he is; Wallace blocked well on runs, Effner is a decent backup for 20 snaps or so.

No doubt 79 has had problems with speed rushers. Don't think any lineup changes are coming soon though.

Tengwall played well at Left Guard vs Auburn -- got out quick when he pulled to lead running plays; blocked solidly; with some experience he is playing with more confidence. Just my opinion, but Tengwall is well situated where he is; Wallace blocked well on runs, Effner is a decent backup for 20 snaps or so.

No doubt 79 has had problems with speed rushers. Don't think any lineup changes are coming soon though.
Good points...and if Landon continues to do well at guard and develops comfort there, no need to switch him. Effner is a decent backup and I think he finished at RT in the final drive of the Purdue game, if I remember correctly. 79 just needs a next level uptick -- he doesn't have to be dominant, and likely won't ever be, but when conference play rolls around, especially in Oct, he can't be the turnstile he has been in pass protection and expect Cliff to survive back there and be able to run the offense.

Good points...and if Landon continues to do well at guard and develops comfort there, no need to switch him. Effner is a decent backup and I think he finished at RT in the final drive of the Purdue game, if I remember correctly. 79 just needs a next level uptick -- he doesn't have to be dominant, and likely won't ever be, but when conference play rolls around, especially in Oct, he can't be the turnstile he has been in pass protection and expect Cliff to survive back there and be able to run the offense.

It does seem that Tengwall has settled into his Left Guard position pretty well and that his long term future seems to at LG. When Wallace looked terrible against Purdue I was hoping that Tengwall would be given a chance to play for a game at RT as I believe that is where he played for a game last season (I believe Fashanu played LT for Wallace in that game). Nourzad, who Franklin also views as a starter, could have taken over LG.

But with Franklin's constant reference to Effner having earned playing time and Franklin's hesitency to even start Effner over Wallace after all the poor pass protection plays that Wallace has on his 2022 resume it seems that for 2022 the OL will have Wallace and Effner at RT.

There are positive vibes coming out of practice regarding Shelton as well, and he could be moved over to RT to try and find a better RT for the longer term, and I believe Effner has played both sides so he could also back up Fashanu at LT. But going into the 4th game already it would be a surprise if we see anything other than Wallace and Effner at RT which seems to be a weakness that the better teams will continue to take advantage of......

:(

Last edited:
There are positive vibes coming out of practice regarding Shelton as well, and he could be moved over to RT to try and find a better RT for the longer term, and I beleive Effner has played both sides so he could also back up Fashanu at LT. But going into the 4th game already it would be a surprise if we see anything other than Wallace and Effner at RT which seems to be a weakness that the better teams will continue to take advantage of...... :(
Yeah, I think vs good opponents, PSU will lineup 1 or poss 2 TEs on the right side to at least chip an outside rusher or be an additional pass blocker

Don't know if that is a great answer but we'll see

Any sightings or comments about Jimmy Christ. 6-7, 316 in his 3rd year and had a descent rating coming out of hs which is why JF flipped him from VT. Have not seen much of him at all. Another OL who will fall by the wayside; we have had so many through they years.

It does seem that Tengwall has settled into his Left Guard position pretty well and that his long term future seems to at LG. When Wallace looked terrible against Purdue I was hoping that Tengwall would be given a chance to play for a game at RT as I believe that is where he played for a game last season (I believe Fashanu played LT for Wallace in that game). Nourzad, who Franklin also views as a starter, could have taken over LG.

But with Franklin's constant reference to Effner having earned playing time and Franklin's hesitency to even start Effner over Wallace after all the poor pass protection plays that Wallace has on his 2022 resume it seems that for 2022 the OL will have Wallace and Effner at RT.

There are positive vibes coming out of practice regarding Shelton as well, and he could be moved over to RT to try and find a better RT for the longer term, and I beleive Effner has played both sides so he could also back up Fashanu at LT. But going into the 4th game already it would be a surprise if we see anything other than Wallace and Effner at RT which seems to be a weakness that the better teams will continue to take advantage of...... :(
Good point about Dawkins...I have heard that as well that Dawkins has made some strides; I believe Vega Ioane traveled to both road games as well, if I read that correctly. I think JF has much of that old school, JoePa stubborn ways of not replacing older starters for younger, inexperienced players who might be green, but have a much higher ceiling. Granted replacing your RT isn't ideal, but the season is still early that, to your point, you can at least get other guys reps. It's probably an easier move to make than replacing a LT.

Any sightings or comments about Jimmy Christ. 6-7, 316 in his 3rd year and had a descent rating coming out of hs which is why JF flipped him from VT. Have not seen much of him at all. Another OL who will fall by the wayside; we have had so many through they years.
I haven't heard anything at all about him. Franklin doesn't release an "official" depth chart so about all we know is how players come off the bench in a blowout win.

The unofficial depth charts put out by the media all seem to believe that the true freshman Shelton is ahead of Christ as a backup at LT. If that is the case, even though Shelton is supposedly a very talented young player, it doesn't speak well for Christ a a third year player not being able to hold a backup spot over a true freshman.

Agree. Christ was highly rated with about 40 offers, eg, Mich, ND, OSU, etc.

I haven't heard anything at all about him. Franklin doesn't release an "official" depth chart so about all we know is how players come off the bench in a blowout win.

The unofficial depth charts put out by the media all seem to believe that the true freshman Shelton is ahead of Christ as a backup at LT. If that is the case, even though Shelton is supposedly a very talented young player, it doesn't speak well for Christ a a third year player not being able to hold a backup spot over a true freshman.

Greg, you have inside info. What's the story on playing time for Izzard and Smith? Are they both gone for the year for breaking "team rules"?

Greg, you have inside info. What's the story on playing time for Izzard and Smith? Are they both gone for the year for breaking "team rules"?
Sorry, I have no inside information and know nothing about why or what Izzard or Smith-Vilbert situations are. I just try and pay attention and listen to Franklins words by watching the re-runs of his PC's......

Love the fact that Beamon had the character and perserverance to work to return to play at PSU. Many young men would have been playing somewhere else. Would be great to see both of this year's dog house players get back this season, but we won't know anything about them until they one day step on the field in a game or they are no longer listed on the official PSU roster......

Little nugget expressed was that Izzard and Smith Vilbert were on the scout team playing DT. Maybe following the Beaman approach to staying active....but at least not yet on the active roster. Some people seem to know what is going on and I had heard that one seems more likely than the other to play, can not remember which one is closer to playing.

Reactions: GregInPitt
Little nugget expressed was that Izzard and Smith Vilbert were on the scout team playing DT. Maybe following the Beaman approach to staying active....but at least not yet on the active roster. Some people seem to know what is going on and I had heard that one seems more likely than the other to play, can not remember which one is closer to playing.
Of the two, I hope it's Izzard. He played really well last year after Mustipher went down. Really like to have him in the rotation starting with UM.

Of the two, I hope it's Izzard. He played really well last year after Mustipher went down. Really like to have him in the rotation starting with UM.
And although PSU has some great athletes on the DL I believe the DL needs more "size" to match up with the big boys.......

ADVERTISEMENT