ADVERTISEMENT

Some perspective, guys

Jerry

May 29, 2001
I was on the road most of the day but managed to catch some of the game on the radio and now in the hotel room have read through the game thread here.

Bummer, man.

I honestly thought we'd spring the upset. At the very least I thought it would be a dogfight. Wrong on both counts. Oh well.

But let's not rush to jump off the ledge. At the beginning of the year, most of us thought 9-3 would be good. As bad as things were today, we're still looking at the solid possibility of 10-2 and a very nice bowl game.

OK, in the unlikely event that we lose the white-out next week against Minnesota, I might well join the pile-on.

Meanwhile, this was not a good day. But this is a young team with its best days still ahead.

As for Clifford, he's a great guy and decent player...but not a championship-caliber QB. That's just a hard fact. It always has been.

Regarding Franklin, it is what it is. He's not going to be cut loose at this point, so we sink or swim with the guy.

Let's put this game in the rear-view mirror and think about the Gophers. The narrative changes quickly in college football. Beat Minnesota and then, who knows. Hope springs eternal.

Too late, Jerry. Many on this board have already jumped off the ledge. Your calm, level-headed approach will neither be appreciated nor understood. Only extreme emotional, over the top responses are acceptable here!

I was on the road most of the day but managed to catch some of the game on the radio and now in the hotel room have read through the game thread here.

Bummer, man.

I honestly thought we'd spring the upset. At the very least I thought it would be a dogfight. Wrong on both counts. Oh well.

But let's not rush to jump off the ledge. At the beginning of the year, most of us thought 9-3 would be good. As bad as things were today, we're still looking at the solid possibility of 10-2 and a very nice bowl game.

OK, in the unlikely event that we lose the white-out next week against Minnesota, I might well join the pile-on.

Meanwhile, this was not a good day. But this is a young team with its best days still ahead.

As for Clifford, he's a great guy and decent player...but not a championship-caliber QB. That's just a hard fact. It always has been.

Regarding Franklin, it is what it is. He's not going to be cut loose at this point, so we sink or swim with the guy.

Let's put this game in the rear-view mirror and think about the Gophers. The narrative changes quickly in college football. Beat Minnesota and then, who knows. Hope springs eternal.
This team is pathetic in the trenches. Is actually be surprised if we finish better than 8-4

Reactions: summitlion1

Bummer, man.

It’s as much how we lost as it is losing. We were thrashed in all phases of the game and the point about being young and their best days being ahead is questionable if we don’t improve in the trenches and tackling. Where does that improvement come from and when does it get here? It hasn’t been here in CJF’s tenure so far.

Bummer, man.

Pretty optimistic for Jerry. Is that really you?

This team is pathetic in the trenches. Is actually be surprised if we finish better than 8-4
This. If you want confirmation, just go back and watch Michigan's games against Maryland, Indiana and Iowa and watch the lines. Those teams went toe to toe with the Michigan lines. Yes, Michigan's lines are good but Jesus Christ, not that good. It was more about the poor PSU lines

Bummer, man.

It was (much) worse than you "heard." Without two amazingly improbable plays, this would have been a far more epic domination than the score may have indicated.

Bummer, man.

I hear ya, but the problem is there’s no real hope anything will seriously change. It’s the same issues, game after game, year after year with Franklin. It’s now year 9.

It’s another example of that old saying about the definition of insanity- doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Now 7-18 against OSU, Um, and MSU.

The Minnesota game is now huge. Franklin has a poor record the week after losses and has a tendency to drop a game he shouldn’t each year. Minnesota is a big trap game before OSU.

I hope you’re right and they can rebound next week but I’m just not bullish on the future of the program under Franklin.

10-2 is a pipe dream. We just gave 6 teams the blueprint on how to beat us - run between the tackles and use crossing patterns with your wrs. Sure, some of those teams do not have UMs talent, so theyll fail. Yay - we’ll beat Rutgers and Indiana. Probably MSU too. So what? We’ll be destroyed by OSU, and will most likely lose 1 more. 9-3 if we’re lucky. Total failure - lose to UM, lose to OSU. Franklin can’t get it done when it matters. Today was a complete embarrassment- physically destroyed and outmanned all game. That is not supposed to happen to PSU.

Let me warn you Franklin fans - he is on far thinner ice than you think. We have a new AD - not the incompetent alternative life style dope we had as AD. Mr. Kraft will not long tolerate what we saw today - trust me on this. Or don’t, I dont care, but Franklin will not last long performing like today. You heard it here first. Just sayin…

I hear ya, but the problem is there’s no real hope anything will seriously change. It’s the same issues, game after game, year after year with Franklin. It’s now year 9.

It’s another example of that old saying about the definition of insanity- doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Now 7-18 against OSU, Um, and MSU.

The Minnesota game is now huge. Franklin has a poor record the week after losses and has a tendency to drop a game he shouldn’t each year. Minnesota is a big trap game before OSU.

I hope you’re right and they can rebound next week but I’m just not bullish on the future of the program under Franklin.
I would argue that Minny was a definite trap game had we won, but is it really now?

10-2 is a pipe dream. We just gave 6 teams the blueprint on how to beat us - run between the tackles and use crossing patterns with your wrs. Sure, some of those teams do not have UMs talent, so theyll fail. Yay - we’ll beat Rutgers and Indiana. Probably MSU too. So what? We’ll be destroyed by OSU, and will most likely lose 1 more. 9-3 if we’re lucky. Total failure - lose to UM, lose to OSU. Franklin can’t get it done when it matters. Today was a complete embarrassment- physically destroyed and outmanned all game. That is not supposed to happen to PSU.

Let me warn you Franklin fans - he is on far thinner ice than you think. We have a new AD - not the incompetent alternative life style dope we had as AD. Mr. Kraft will not long tolerate what we saw today - trust me on this. Or don’t, I dont care, but Franklin will not last long performing like today. You heard it here first. Just sayin…
Who is going to buy him out?

I would argue that Minny was a definite trap game had we won, but is it really now?
True. I meant more that it’s looking like the perfect storm- 1. Game after a loss where Franklin’s teams have not performed well. 2. Game before OSU who traditionally gets all the attention- trap game mentality. 3. Franklin’s teams have a tendency to lose a game each year they should win (Illinois last year type games).

Those 3 are all converging at the same time- with Minnesota this week. Lose that game and you’re into a 3 game losing streak with the worry that the wheels come off the bus completely.

Reactions: KCLion

Bummer, man.

Good rational post, but I would like to see us compete on a realistic level before I die, which considering the current contract, May not happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerry

But we realize how bad the majority of those teams are right?
Minnesota has completely collapsed offensively
Ohio State probably beats us by 30
But Indiana, Michigan State and Rutgers are horrible teams
Maryland may have lost their starting QB
Less than 10-2 means Franklin has to go after last season's collapse.

Too late, Jerry. Many on this board have already jumped off the ledge. Your calm, level-headed approach will neither be appreciated nor understood. Only extreme emotional, over the top responses are acceptable here!
Did you watch the game? It was embarrassing how badly we were beat. I am not a Franklin hater but this seems to be a consistent pattern. It might be different if the talent level was way unbalanced but Michigan has not recruited better than we have the last four years. We were beat worse than Maryland, worse than Iowa and worse than Indiana.

Last edited:
But we realize how bad the majority of those teams are right?
Minnesota has completely collapsed offensively
Ohio State probably beats us by 30
But Indiana, Michigan State and Rutgers are horrible teams
Maryland may have lost their starting QB
Less than 10-2 means Franklin has to go after last season's collapse.
We will finish 9-3, at best. And a lot of PSU fans will actually believe that’s a good season. It ISNT! We got destroyed by UM. We will get destroyed - AT HOME, by O$U. We have no chance of winning this conference - Again. 4 titles in 30 seasons - that is pathetic. And Franklin is obviously not going to solve this issue.

Joining the Big Ten has been great for many PSU sports. It has been a disaster for our football program, and that is because we have never had a head coach that understands that only 3 things matter:

1. Beat UM
2. Beat OSU
3. Win the conference.

we’re pathetic in all 3. Franklin more so.

Last edited:
Reactions: psuno1

The time for calm, level-headed approach was before signing a $75 million extension. With proper, level-headed thinking, it was obvious that maybe that was a bit much.

Did you watch the game? It was embarrassing how badly we were beat. I am not a Franklin hater but this seems to be a consistent pattern. It might be different if the talent level was way unbalanced but Michigan has not recruited better than we have the last four years. We were beat worse tha Maryland, worse than Iowa and worse than Indiana.
Michigan does not have players more skilled than Penn State. But I want to be real here, I think there were a few things at play today...
1. The wind was a huge help to Michigan's plans and a detriment to PSU plan. Sometimes things work that way.
2. Franklin has not figured out the right way to handle his teams off bye weeks.
3. Franklin teams seem overly into trying to do what he thinks will work against teams instead of just perfecting what they do best.
4. It's really hard to beat a top 10 team on the road.

I’m telling you that there is “disquiet” amongst the power brokers behind the scenes - they don’t care for Franklin’s act, And today’s awful performance is not dissuading them from thinking Franklin is not the coach to get PSU football to the level that is expected. Believe me, or dont - but Franklin better shape up and start winning when it counts. He sux when the lights are brightest in conference: 4 - 13 vs UM and OSU. Mr. Kraft is not ok with that, and he shouldn’t be. Neither should we.

Many of the same jumped off the JoePa wagon after bad defeats...need 30 examples MOL. Games after bye weeks often suck... check the stats...
However...

I am sorry but after watching this game, one has to ask several questions...Trautwein and John Scott and the S and C coach need to ask if they seriously are interested in keeping their jobs. The Ol and Dl players need to be asked the the same questions. I know bye weeks can de-focus teams... but seriously. Keyveone Lee got one carry for 6 yards. Look at the freshman studs... they got nothing.
The wideouts are fine... TE's and DBs too. But the Ol and Dl were a disgrace. Forgive me if I missed anyone on the Ol and Dl that got injured. If so, I missed that. The rest were a bunch of guys that took a pass on agression and frankly don't know what guys like Ron Heller... Chet Parlavecio... Bruce Clark...Matt Millen, Mike Munchak, Courtney Brown, Bruce Branch .. and I could go on forever.. played with agression and defined PSU football. These guys today sleep walked and must have been looking at the fall sky and daydreamimg about fall colors. They did not leave the fans down. They left themselves and the past players down. Time to get their shit together is now!

Last edited:
Michigan does not have players more skilled than Penn State. But I want to be real here, I think there were a few things at play today...
1. The wind was a huge help to Michigan's plans and a detriment to PSU plan. Sometimes things work that way.
2. Franklin has not figured out the right way to handle his teams off bye weeks.
3. Franklin teams seem overly into trying to do what he thinks will work against teams instead of just perfecting what they do best.
We were completely dominated on the LOS. This has happened quite often under James. He has hired and fired numerous coaches and coordinators. At what point does he own it?

Reactions: rrdd2021
I’m telling you that there is “disquiet” amongst the power brokers behind the scenes - they don’t care for Franklin’s act, And today’s awful performance is not dissuading them from thinking Franklin is not the coach to get PSU football to the level that is expected. Believe me, or dont - but Franklin better shape up and start winning when it counts. He sux when the lights are brightest in conference: 4 - 13 vs UM and OSU. Mr. Kraft is not ok with that, and he shouldn’t be. Neither should we.
But that does not answer the question. What exactly is his buy out, and are those people that are unhappy with his performance able to do anything regarding his contract?

Patience, young Jedi. Franklin thinks he’s safe. I’m telling you he isn’t. You can draw you’re own conclusions…

So apparently you didn't watch the game, as SR108 inquired. Nothing you posted has any relevance.

It's embarrassing how some posters cast blame on equal challenges like the game time, weather, scheduling, or any other non-opponent factor for the outcomes of games.

Bummer, man.

As long as you show back up here after Minnesota, then your post is fine with me. Don't vanish if we lose, deal?

This. If you want confirmation, just go back and watch Michigan's games against Maryland, Indiana and Iowa and watch the lines. Those teams went toe to toe with the Michigan lines. Yes, Michigan's lines are good but Jesus Christ, not that good. It was more about the poor PSU lines
We can still go 10-2 but its no gimme. The fact is the Big 10 is back to being OSU and Michigan and then everyone else. Minny, Md and Michigan State are all beatable and we have all of them at home. Hey, we won the turnover battle!

Reactions: john4psu
72 million. He's safe.
That’s certainly what he thinks. He’s wrong - believe me or not. PSU is getting a lot of $$ from TV contracts very soon. Franklin is not performing to his compensation level, not even close. We have a real AD now - not an incompetent PC alternative lifestyle idiot. He is not a Franklin apologist like far too many on this board are. Mark my words - Franklin is on ever thinning ice. The sooner he’s gone, the better PSU football’s future will be. What a catastrophe we saw today.

10-2 and a nice bowl game is a steaming bowl of shit for coach who hasn't produced in eight years. Hell, Bill O'Brien's record over two years was 15-9 with half a football roster.

The WRs can't get open. The linebackers can't tackle. Franklin goes for it on a 4th and 6 and early in the game for only being down a TD. Clifford is a shitty quarterback but hey, he's having fun. He got outplayed by a freshman quarterback.

That’s certainly what he thinks. He’s wrong - believe me or not. PSU is getting a lot of $$ from TV contracts very soon. Franklin is not performing to his compensation level, not even close. We have a real AD now - not an incompetent PC alternative lifestyle idiot. He is not a Franklin apologist like far too many on this board are. Mark my words - Franklin is on ever thinning ice. The sooner he’s gone, the better PSU football’s future will be. What a catastrophe we saw today.
Where in the hell are we getting 72 million dollars

Bummer, man.

You never going to make progress until you stop from getting bullied. Today’s game was bad enough. But it happened last year at home to a bad Illinois team.

And there is a long pattern ( 9 years) of the team not being tough enough.

All well and good, but you still did not answer the question. 72 million has to come from somewhere. And I doubt it will come from the university’s general fund.

Yeah right.

All well and good, but you still did not answer the question. 72 million has to come from somewhere. And I doubt it will come from the university’s general fund.
Surcharge on season tickets or Nittany Lion Club feeds + a couple of fat cats pitch in and voila - you are there.

Sandy Barbour sure did put the screws to PSU - every bit as bad as she did (and got fired) at Cal. She may have permanently crippled PSU Football - worse than the unjust sanctions ever did!

I actually miss O’Brien and his no BS attitude.
There would be no Milk and Cookies for Clifford when he comes off the field after screwing the pooch. O'Brien would be all over him. He would go after Hack every time he screwed up. We need a little more tough love as Schiano loves to say. You love them put you have to have no hesitation about getting in tehri faces when they screw up. Thank god Dicktanio retired or we would never better than 4th in the East. Look at Beliema! He comes into a terrible situation cleaning up after another Franklin feel good coach failure and has them playing like killas in his second year. He went out and got Big OL and DL farmboys that want to play and it is showing. Fleck did the same at Minny. Keep mining the Balitmore are for OL talent!!! That Fasanu, Golden Aucumba, Worley, Wallace tem you are trotting out there is doing a great job!!!! I hate overpaying for shit!!! I would give the team to Manny for 4M a year and see what he could do. How much worse can it get??

Reactions: MacNit07
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT