ADVERTISEMENT

Somebody was asking about free TV a few weeks ago

Obliviax

Gold Member
Aug 21, 2001
and I can't find the thread. There are a few streaming services like FreeVee and Pluto. DirectTV is announcing a new "free" service that will only have commercials but no monthly fee.

What one can do is get a smart TV or one with a Roku attached:
  • set up one input with a regular antenna to get all of the local channels that are broadcast
  • set up a free TV (or all of them) with DirectTV, FreeVee, Pluto, etc.
  • Rotate streaming services. Go get Netflix and watch the shows you want that are Netflix only. Cancel netflix and go to Amazon Prime....Apple...Max....etc.
In the end, you'll pay for the smart TV (you can get nice sets for $300 or so), high-speed internet, the free network(s), and paid streaming to your budget's content.

FPD 55-inch Smart TV Google TV 4K UHD with Google Play and Google Cast Built-in, HDR 10, Dolby Vision Dolby Atmos, MEMC, Voice Remote, Stream Live TV(Canvas-Series, CG55-C1, 2024 Model)

I held out for a long time being a long time Dish TV customer and finally got tired of them having negotiation problems with local broadcasting like Cox Communications which provided my NBC viewing. So I missed out on U.S. Open golf, Wimbledon and Sunday night football games and also grew tired of the constant creeping up of pricing despite being locked in for two years.

I was shocked how much free TV there is. I hooked up an antenna and in addition to Pluto, FreeVee, etc., Vizio provided Smartcast which was free channels as well. I got Hulu because I wanted as much of the college networks (Big 10, ACC, SEC, etc.) for football, basketball, wrestling, hockey, etc. Honestly, if I wasn't a sports addict, I could get by on free tv as there is a lot of programming out there.

I held out for a long time being a long time Dish TV customer and finally got tired of them having negotiation problems with local broadcasting like Cox Communications which provided my NBC viewing. So I missed out on U.S. Open golf, Wimbledon and Sunday night football games and also grew tired of the constant creeping up of pricing despite being locked in for two years.

I was shocked how much free TV there is. I hooked up an antenna and in addition to Pluto, FreeVee, etc., Vizio provided Smartcast which was free channels as well. I got Hulu because I wanted as much of the college networks (Big 10, ACC, SEC, etc.) for football, basketball, wrestling, hockey, etc. Honestly, if I wasn't a sports addict, I could get by on free tv as there is a lot of programming out there.
Agree. I am considering using an antenna to get the locals and just going with Pluto for free content. I'll then keep my subscription to Netflix, Apple, HBO and Amazon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT