ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer Lee: Great Wrestler but question his character

BrockBronson

May 20, 2021
Being a great wrestler is one thing but being a great wrestler & great person is another. Who would ever do that to a teammate. I question why so many young dad have their kids look up to him. As a wrestler he is fierce and outstanding but I question his demeanor in Most interviews and antics when he doesn’t seem to get his own way.
I don’t think Rudis enjoyed that outburst and behavior yesterday. He is a business man now too and that was bad for business.

You contribute a lot of great content to this board. But I don’t agree with you on this one. I watched an after match interview with him yesterday and he said all the right things. I see a lot of bad interviews with wrestlers right after their matches; and in this case we’re talking about mannerisms he displayed before even getting off the mat. Its sports; athletes get caught up in the moment all the time.

You contribute a lot of great content to this board. But I don’t agree with you on this one. I watched an after match interview with him yesterday and he said all the right things. I see a lot of bad interviews with wrestlers right after their matches; and in this case we’re talking about mannerisms he displayed before even getting off the mat. Its sports; athletes get caught up in the moment all the time.
I think Lee is a fine young man and will
Replace TNT in a few years , Cael
Will own him like the midgets

Treating a teammate like that is terrible. I question that as a leader of the team. I am a fan of his wrestling but doing that as a team mate is uncalled for. That poor kid probably looks up to him and wants to learn from him moving forward. I saw the kids mom response somewhere and don’t blame her. That kid is no where near him talent wise or close to taking his post. Remember when he shoveled Desantos head into the mat.

Wrestling will always have the competition in the rooms but that was over board. Couldn’t imagine that tolerated at PSU. Could you imagine DT or Zain doing that to a teammate

It’s one thing to say the right things and another to do the right things. Actions speak louder than words.

I’m not saying S Lee is a bad guy. I am saying his behavior, yesterday, was lacking in class. If he continues to behave in that manner, then it makes sense to claim it’s indicative of his character.

Ever read Mark Schultz’s book? He talks about the wrestling room having a column (pillar) missing padding in a certain spot and trying to put his teammate’s head into it during practice.

It’s one thing to say the right things and another to do the right things. Actions speak louder than words.

I’m not saying S Lee is a bad guy. I am saying his behavior, yesterday, was lacking in class. If he continues to behave in that manner, then it makes sense to claim it’s indicative of his character.
I agree with this. If it continues… then yes.

It's hard to know what dynamics contributed to yesterday's "show." I agree it wasn't a great look, but fault could easily be w/ the coaches. Not ready to put Spencer in the same category as Richie Lewis or PD3 (much less Ferrari). He's a warrior that has had more than his fair share of tough breaks.

I do think it's odd if Spencer doesn't participate at team practice. Maybe his match time is limited, but you'd think he'd be there as a leader at this point in his career, and that having a good relationship with the young buck in his weight class would be a priority for all parties.

Being a great wrestler is one thing but being a great wrestler & great person is another. Who would ever do that to a teammate. I question why so many young dad have their kids look up to him. As a wrestler he is fierce and outstanding but I question his demeanor in Most interviews and antics when he doesn’t seem to get his own way.
I don’t think Rudis enjoyed that outburst and behavior yesterday. He is a business man now too and that was bad for business.
Last sentence is an incredible overreach. Nobody is buying somebody else's shoes over that. Lee is at zero risk of a lecture by Rudis, let alone being fired.

I do think it's odd if Spencer doesn't participate at team practice. Maybe his match time is limited, but you'd think he'd be there as a leader at this point in his career, and that having a good relationship with the young buck in his weight class would be a priority for all parties.
Maybe Lee spends all of his practice time on the HWC side of the curtain?

Or maybe his knee isn't up to the rigors of daily practice? Seem to recall Carter not practicing at all for nearly 2 months last year.

No issue with Spencer’s character - he’s not the perfect angel that the HR slurpers think he is, nor is he Richie Lewis. He does hide his cockiness well, though it shows at times.

Now Lar’s character on the other hand - a pint-sized, poaching, slumlord-loving cockroach he is

Some of you may remember me over on HR trolling the guys about Spencer Lee. They claimed the PA pipeline was wide open and Spencer was going to be the catalyst for them getting PA recruit after recruit. I told them I didn’t think Spencer was as likeable as you all think he is. If I’m not mistaken, I think the debate may have even warranted one of my many banishments from that place. They were really pissed when I pointed outs that you never saw Spencer with his teammates when they were making silly videos or were posting pics of them hanging out off the mat. I also told them Spencer didn’t have mono when he didn’t seem himself early in his career and thought it was something else. That one I was going off some information that I was told.

Do I think Spencer is a bad dude? Not at all. Do I think Spencer has different interests than most kids his age? I do. And there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that .

You did notice that he had to make sure to put it out there that it was HIS decision to wrestle didn’t you? Lol

Maybe Lee spends all of his practice time on the HWC side of the curtain?

Or maybe his knee isn't up to the rigors of daily practice? Seem to recall Carter not practicing at all for nearly 2 months last year.
Who are his training partners on that side of the curtain? Lugo and Desanto, I guess.

But yeah, if mama Ayala was just talking about Spencer’s rehab regime, then it’s a non-story, and weird of her to even bring up.

No issue with Spencer’s character - he’s not the perfect angel that the HR slurpers think he is, nor is he Richie Lewis. He does hide his cockiness well, though it shows at times.

Now Lar’s character on the other hand - a pint-sized, poaching, slumlord-loving cockroach he is
Exactly. The son is fine, the father is a p.o.s.

If DeSanto acted like Lee did yesterday, you all would be killing him. Lee acted like a horrible teammate and sportsman yesterday. Quit making excuses. They’re for Wussies!!
The difference is DeSanto had a LONG track record of acting like a dbag. S Lee acted like a dbag yesterday, for sure. However, IMO, it hasn’t become a long-term pattern of behavior. Yet.

I agree with this. If it continues… then yes.
Just my opinion but what happened recently is a continuation of events that have happened over the last five or six years. Does that make Spencer a bad person? I would say no. He is flawed like everyone else he just put himself in a position for everyone to see which isn't a good look for him or Iowa. Let's put it like this. If he got up and helped Ayala off the mat in good sportsmanship what would people have said?

Reactions: hlstone
It's hard to know what dynamics contributed to yesterday's "show." I agree it wasn't a great look, but fault could easily be w/ the coaches. Not ready to put Spencer in the same category as Richie Lewis or PD3 (much less Ferrari). He's a warrior that has had more than his fair share of tough breaks.

If he isn't practicing with the team it says everything

Reactions: Lyco1990

I agree that the coaches probably mishandled the whole situation. However, Spencer needs to take ownership of his behavior. The coaches did not force him to shove his teammate’s face into the mat or stare him down like a punk. Spencer did that and Spencer alone.

Some of you may remember me over on HR trolling the guys about Spencer Lee. They claimed the PA pipeline was wide open and Spencer was going to be the catalyst for them getting PA recruit after recruit. I told them I didn’t think Spencer was as likeable as you all think he is. If I’m not mistaken, I think the debate may have even warranted one of my many banishments from that place. They were really pissed when I pointed outs that you never saw Spencer with his teammates when they were making silly videos or were posting pics of them hanging out off the mat. I also told them Spencer didn’t have mono when he didn’t seem himself early in his career and thought it was something else. That one I was going off some information that I was told.

Do I think Spencer is a bad dude? Not at all. Do I think Spencer has different interests than most kids his age? I do. And there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that .
sounds like another 125 we all know and love:)

Last sentence is an incredible overreach. Nobody is buying somebody else's shoes over that. Lee is at zero risk of a lecture by Rudis, let alone being fired.
Not saying fired at all. But it wasn’t a smart business move. The ayala’s don’t have the name Spencer has but they are a solid Iowa name. I am sure those actions didn’t get him anymore fans is what I was saying.

Reactions: hlstone
What the hell did I miss?
Explosion Reaction GIF

What's the problem? He pinned Ayala and pushed on his chest a little bit? It's a ****ing combat sport.
I think it's because Spencer has a long track record of doing the opposite with his opponents so for it to happen with a teammate was just weird.

Spencer clearly didn't want to wrestle that match for a variety of reasons (injury risk, he was clearly pretty worn out after the semis and the match doesn't even count), he was told he needed to if Drake wanted it (which he did) I think Spencer also took offense to it because in many ways, that implied Drake thought he could outright beat him (why else do you want a match?)

He had a "You like that?" moment and that's all there is to it. Drake's family didn't appreciate it so they've since leaked he doesn't practice with the team.

Candidly, I don't think Spencer is all that interested in taking a mentoring role with the young guys. I don't blame him either, I think the last few years has been mentally and physically draining on him. The fact he is in college a 6th year and hasn't wrestled an international free event in college has to annoy him a bit. If he isn't in the room even then that definitely reinforces it. Kemerer, DeSanto, Eierman, Marinelli were his guys and he wanted to finish up with them (with a title of course) Now he wants #4 and to get out.

One of my favorite memories is when Zane Rutherford pinned James English and pushed his head into the mat while screaming at the coaches and bragging...

Oh, wait a second. Zain never did that, and James was a hero who never complained.

Treating a teammate like that is terrible. I question that as a leader of the team. I am a fan of his wrestling but doing that as a team mate is uncalled for. That poor kid probably looks up to him and wants to learn from him moving forward. I saw the kids mom response somewhere and don’t blame her. That kid is no where near him talent wise or close to taking his post. Remember when he shoveled Desantos head into the mat.

Wrestling will always have the competition in the rooms but that was over board. Couldn’t imagine that tolerated at PSU. Could you imagine DT or Zain doing that to a teammate

Agree 100%. There is never a good reason to behave like that. I don’t care who you are or who you think you are, you are not that important or worthy of rubbing somebody else’s nose in it. Be above that. Take the high road. At the end of the day, carry your head high. True winners know who they are and don’t need to justify themselves with anything other than their record.

Gutter fights are for gutter dwellers.

Reactions: therod
I think it's because Spencer has a long track record of doing the opposite with his opponents so for it to happen with a teammate was just weird.

Spencer clearly didn't want to wrestle that match for a variety of reasons (injury risk, he was clearly pretty worn out after the semis and the match doesn't even count), he was told he needed to if Drake wanted it (which he did) I think Spencer also took offense to it because in many ways, that implied Drake thought he could outright beat him (why else do you want a match?)

He had a "You like that?" moment and that's all there is to it. Drake's family didn't appreciate it so they've since leaked he doesn't practice with the team.

Candidly, I don't think Spencer is all that interested in taking a mentoring role with the young guys. I don't blame him either, I think the last few years has been mentally and physically draining on him. The fact he is in college a 6th year and hasn't wrestled an international free event in college has to annoy him a bit. If he isn't in the room even then that definitely reinforces it. Kemerer, DeSanto, Eierman, Marinelli were his guys and he wanted to finish up with them (with a title of course) Now he wants #4 and to get out.
Spencer's Iowa, and I can't ****ing stand Iowa. Just should always preface my response with that. But man, I read this thread and had to go watch the match. I thought maybe he head mushed Ayala's Mom or something. I think we're being a little hyper-critical of an Iowa guy. If Carter did the same (not saying he would to a teammate), there'd surely be an explanation for it. Go watch Zain and Molinaro go at it a few times..........Maybe Ayala got into Spencer a little bit when Spencer was already gassed in practice. Maybe Terry thought he'd motivate Spencer and teased him about it. Who knows what went on.

That poor kid probably looks up to him and wants to learn from him moving forward. I saw the kids mom response somewhere and don’t blame her.
Having your mom fight your battles for you on social media is not a good idea, ever! Unless you haven’t yet started kindergarten and your friends can’t read.
Drake’s dad needs to take Mama’s phone

Having your mom fight your battles for you on social media is not a good idea, ever! Unless you haven’t yet started kindergarten and your friends can’t read.
Drake’s dad needs to take Mama’s phone
She should probably stick to contacting other teams’ athletes and encouraging them to transfer to Iowa. I hear that’s ok with the Lees.

Hopefully, everyone of us has had the opportunity to be “the man” (or woman😉). In the bowling Alley, on the playing fields or at our jobs. No matter how big and important you think you are, there is NEVER a reason to look down upon those less skilled or fortunate than ourselves. I’m not preaching the Bible here. I’m talking about how we walk off the playing field. Are you carrying your head high? Whether you win or lose.Proud of your hard work, your preparation and your results.? Cael knows this and teaches this. That’s the greatest blessing we have with the man.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT