ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer Lee: Great Wrestler but question his character

Why does Spencer Lee give a shit about a Soldier Salute title? Let Drake have a meaningless holiday tournament title, move on and keep your mileage/wear & tear down (assuming that is the chief concern).
Despite being a GOAT at 125, there just might be a reason why:

To my knowledge this has been a common observation validated over hundreds of years. Just say'in.

Reactions: Ski and 7brwnpsu
Thanks! Let me get back to you on that. I have a pretty large group going with me to Iowa; 7 people total including Mrs. McPat and the little mcpats. If I can, I’ll try!
The match is at the BJC, lay off the white claws.

200w.gif

No they wouldn’t and they absolutely did not. If you don’t think a conversation was had that night you’re out of your damn mind.

This thread is insane. Y’all crack me up. I thought Hr was supposed to be the cesspool, the place this forum judged from its high horse. You are obsessed with making fun of Iowa that actually very little wrestling conversations happen.
I do enjoy making fun of HR. I am not sure why you chose my post to stand tall on. For the most part I have sat this one out.
As far as whether or not TnT had a conversation with mom and dad Ayala, I am sure there was. I doubt it was that night. I would also guess it was done with some Brands diplomacy. If Brands was dumb enough to "tell" the Ayala parents what was "right" and "wrong" then stick it your ear would be the proper parental response.
As far as threads that spend more time poking fun at Iowa and HR as opposed to discussing actual wrestling, you seem to enjoy participating in those threads.

I do enjoy making fun of HR. I am not sure why you chose my post to stand tall on. For the most part I have sat this one out.
As far as whether or not TnT had a conversation with mom and dad Ayala, I am sure there was. I doubt it was that night. I would also guess it was done with some Brands diplomacy. If Brands was dumb enough to "tell" the Ayala parents what was "right" and "wrong" then stick it your ear would be the proper parental response.
As far as threads that spend more time poking fun at Iowa and HR as opposed to discussing actual wrestling, you seem to enjoy participating in those threads.
It was just the last post that I saw. No great significance.

The conversation did happen that night and of course it was professional. Drake left to go to Carver for a workout shortly after he got pinned by Lee. When he heard about what his mom said he was not happy at all. Conversations were had and all was resolved.

I like to comment when I see some, call them, falsehoods being said about Iowa wrestling. Whether I like it or not this board is popular and fans from many schools read it. I don’t fully understand the bad rap that Iowa has. So when I see it, I will occasionally comment, especially when it’s gone beyond the pale. Which imo, this thread has. I think that’s fair.

Edit to add: I do completely understand the bad rap some of the Hr posters have here, but again imo this sense of vitriol to often spills over onto the Hawkeye athletes and our coaches.

I will add that when you guys are talking wrestling it’s a good form to read. There are knowledgeable fans here, but far more that seem to make a living shitting on Iowa and razzing the Hawkeye posters when they do eventually say something.

I like to comment when I see some, call them, falsehoods being said about Iowa wrestling.
I don't blame you one bit. You should be treated respectfully when you do.

Hopefully you would agree that Penn State fans correcting false statements about illegal payments, PED use, and other malfeasance by Penn State should be treated as warmly on HR.

giphy.gif

I don't blame you one bit. You should be treated respectfully when you do.

Hopefully you would agree that Penn State fans correcting false statements about illegal payments, PED use, and other malfeasance by Penn State should be treated as warmly on HR.

giphy.gif
I don’t have a problem with you all feeling the need to say something. The issue over there seems to be the way it’s done. I think to many psu fans have not handled it in the appropriate manner. So now, everyone’s guard is up and some hr posters will always respond negatively. Sadly it might be to late in the game to expect reasonable discourse. It’s entirely possible I’m barking up the wrong tree by hoping for change.

Reactions: 82bordeaux
I don’t have a problem with you all feeling the need to say something. The issue over there seems to be the way it’s done. I think to many psu fans have not handled it in the appropriate manner. So now, everyone’s guard is up and some hr posters will always respond negatively. Sadly it might be to late in the game to expect reasonable discourse. It’s entirely possible I’m barking up the wrong tree by hoping for change.

Your causation is waaaaaaay backwards here. I think my posting history would show a complete disregard for PSU-IOWA tomfoolery (minus the Marinelli takedown-gate) but I used to lurk on HR all the time, and the crazies launching wild accusations is what brought the PSU crowd out in force, not the other way around.

The issue over there seems to be the way it’s done. I think too many psu fans have not handled it in the appropriate manner. So now, everyone’s guard is up and some hr posters will always respond negatively.
I feel I have suffered this fate despite trying to handle things 'in the appropriate manner.' But I have a thick skin, and if I deem a response is unduly negative / uncivil, I am not averse to dropping the proverbial gloves.

I usually try to inject more humor when attempting to stay on the moral high ground. But I'm human, so an occasional failure is to be expected... just like Spencer (and @johnstownsteel to a lesser degree).

Well said. I love our Hawks and enjoy most of the guys who post. But it's hard not to poke fun at an occasional post on HR. :)

Reactions: johnstownsteel
@mcpat are you going to the Iowa match? I'd love to meet up with you. I enjoy your posts a lot. I'll make a wager with you. If I have a higher KYPSW score for the Wisconsin match, you'll drink a bourbon with me. If you have a higher score, I'll drink a White Claw with you.
Does anyone know if Local Whiskey sells White Claw?
I'll drink sprite! Maybe 7 up, sometimes 7up is too bubbly.

It was just the last post that I saw. No great significance.

The conversation did happen that night and of course it was professional. Drake left to go to Carver for a workout shortly after he got pinned by Lee. When he heard about what his mom said he was not happy at all. Conversations were had and all was resolved.

I like to comment when I see some, call them, falsehoods being said about Iowa wrestling. Whether I like it or not this board is popular and fans from many schools read it. I don’t fully understand the bad rap that Iowa has. So when I see it, I will occasionally comment, especially when it’s gone beyond the pale. Which imo, this thread has. I think that’s fair.

Edit to add: I do completely understand the bad rap some of the Hr posters have here, but again imo this sense of vitriol to often spills over onto the Hawkeye athletes and our coaches.

I will add that when you guys are talking wrestling it’s a good form to read. There are knowledgeable fans here, but far more that seem to make a living shitting on Iowa and razzing the Hawkeye posters when they do eventually say something.
I am not sure you are not entirely to blame for what this thread became. Had you voluntarily disclosed the above information( evidently somewhat insider intel) sooner, rather than invite speculation this thread would not have morphed into what it is. It for sure would have likely been shorter.

Reactions: PAHURDLER
I am not sure you are not entirely to blame for what this thread became. Had you voluntarily disclosed the above information( evidently somewhat insider intel) sooner, rather than invite speculation this thread would not have morphed into what it is. It for sure would have likely been shorter.
I’m not sure that’s correct. I mentioned this on Hr and a few notable psu posters still ran wild with speculation. Some fire cant be put out it seems.

Come on Hawkfan. Bottom line is Spencer is the likely the 125 GOAT come March. Most here conceed that fact, at least I do. Spencer is an animal.

Do we a little fun with his cush schedule the past 2 1/2 years? Maybe a little. You have to admit. Suriano would have been a significant test had it gone last year, but fate decided differently. The last guy that was moderately close to him, beat him twice only to have the fickled finger of fate and good futune result in missing him too at nationals. This year I think he could win it with two full leg casts on.

As for this latest Drake drama, in all honesty, he brought that on himself.

I think the real lesson of this incident is that if you make Spencer angry, he's not going to fool around until he techs you, he's going to pin you as quickly and humiliatingly as possible, so tread carefully.
And, just out of curiosity, Ayala’s great crime committed that got Spencer angry was…wanting to wrestle?

I don’t fully understand the bad rap that Iowa has.

As the kids say, I gotchu fam. One of your own actually did a pretty good job of starting to compile a list of all time Hawkeye a**holes for you! Good place to start I’d say.

(Of course, one of those guys is a reformed a**hole and is now Our Very Own).

I think the real lesson of this incident is that if you make Spencer angry, he's not going to fool around until he techs you, he's going to pin you as quickly and humiliatingly as possible, so tread carefully.
Wish some of our other guys would get angry once in a while!!

I'd "guess" Spencer never spent much time with teammates off the mat the entire time he was at Iowa. I also feel the move to Iowa was harder on him than people realize. I always thought that if his entire family didn't move to Iowa he goes somewhere closer to home. Or if he did go to Iowa without them, he transfers back like Teske did after a year in State College. There's some "education" behind my opinions here.

I think Spencer is alot like me, he's a "homebody", enjoys being around his family more than friends and acquaintances and at college he never was into the "college life" most boys look forward to when graduating from highschool. Its why you rarely ever saw him in the vids and pics his teammates put out when they were hanging out together off the mat. Probably has a girlfriend now, they chill together and with their families and enjoy just staying out of the spotlight for a change.

As for his antics this past weekend on the mat, I give him a pass. Still think he was more upset with his coach than Ayala but probably never will know no matter how long we debate. If I were to be honest, I think he carried himself a 1000 times better in college than I thought he did when he was in h.s. Hawk fans argued with me but I thought there were times back then he would puff his chest and stand over kids like a boss after beating the hell put them. At Iowa there was little of that if any at all ...aside from the Ayala incident.

One last thing, I'm happy for Spencer that his career is almost over and he can focus on his first true love (freestyle) or just leave the sport and spotlight altogether and build the future he sees himself having. And I wouldn't be surprised if Spencer and his entire family end up back in PA one day. If that happens, I hope you all will join me in praying for our HR brethren and the entire Hawk fanbase..
I think his hs girlfriend went to Iowa with him.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
And, just out of curiosity, Ayala’s great crime committed that got Spencer angry was…wanting to wrestle?
It was not respecting his request not to wrestle the final. You can judge the fairness of the request (I’m not defending that), but clearly, he thought Ayala should respect that and he didn’t, and it made him angry, so Ayala paid the price. Ayala wanted to challenge him as the alpha male of the pack, and it didn’t work out well for him.

Reactions: nitlion6
It was not respecting his request not to wrestle the final. You can judge the fairness of the request (I’m not defending that), but clearly, he thought Ayala should respect that and he didn’t, and it made him angry, so Ayala paid the price. Ayala wanted to challenge him as the alpha male of the pack, and it didn’t work out well for him.
If you’re not the lead dog, the view never changes.

Reactions: Ski and PD4thespawn
I just saw the match between Lee and the Purdue kid. After the match Lee appears as if he wants nothing to do with either of the Brand brothers. I feel there is a problem possibly brewing in Iowa between them.

I just saw the match between Lee and the Purdue kid. After the match Lee appears as if he wants nothing to do with either of the Brand brothers. I feel there is a problem possibly brewing in Iowa between them.
yea saw that, no high five or low five

It doesn't matter if Spencer absolutely hates TnT, he's just going to do his thing and maul people all the way to a 4th title and then move on either way. It's not like they're going to kick him off the team for not practicing.

Of course, if he wants to jump in the portal right now, I know a team with a hole at 125 where he could win a team title, too...

ADVERTISEMENT