ADVERTISEMENT

Stadium observations, game thoughts and big picture comment (long)

PSU2UNC

Feb 9, 2016
  • Stadium experience – I’d been to the Big House a bunch of times before. Beautiful weather, but a little windy. Not sure if that was apparent on TV, but the wind was definitely as issue at field level, especially for the kicker. The Maize Out was (predictably) underwhelming. It might look OK if everyone actually did it, but I’d put participation on maybe 70%. Lots of people wearing blue (some PSU fans in white) or other random colors. I kind of get if it’s really cold out and you don’t own a maize parka, but it was 55 degrees. I also noted that the crowd seemed less “classy” than times I’d been there in the past. There was a “**** Penn State” chant from the student section at the beginning of the game, the crowd boos the visiting team entrance (far more than you see at Beaver Stadium) and boos their own band when they do their “PSU tribute Song (I assume this was hail to the lion, but couldn’t hear because they were facing the visitor section which was the opposite site of the stadium from me). They also do this super annoying “You suck” sing along to whatever song the band plays after a 3rd or 4th down stop. Very juvenile. Anyway, I’ve certainly seen worse at away games, but the environment there has changed from 10 (or maybe even 5) years ago.

• (disclaimer on comments on the game: I haven’t re-watched on TV yet, so there may have been things I couldn’t see from the stands)

• I think the defense actually played OK in the first half. They gave up yards between the 20s and forced FGs. That’s generally what they’ve done all year. And they got a pick six. The FG at the end of the half was disappointing, but it was greatly aided by what I thought was a pretty bad DPI call against Dixon (the receiver appeared to initiate contact on the downfield defender). However, down 16-14 at the half was not unacceptable, given how little the offense did.
  • Speaking of the offense, I noted several pass plays that seemed to be “interesting designs” but it seemed that if the primary receiver wasn’t open (they generally weren’t) there didn’t seem to be a viable check down. Not sure if the secondary receivers just aren’t getting open, or if the play design focuses too much on getting the primary open at the expense of making everyone else just “window dressing.”
  • The real killers were the two long runs, which took that game from 17-16 PSU to 31-17 Michigan. The second one (Corum) seemed to involved a pretty blatant missed holding call (86 tackled 43) right in the hole at the point of attack. I get that holding could be called on every play yada-yada, but right at the point of attack just has to be called. Probably not a difference maker in the game, but certainly didn’t help.
  • On PSU’s possession after the first long run (score is 24-17 Michigan), the OPI against PSU was brutal. If that play stood it would have been 1st and 10 at the UM 27 (instead of 3rd and 19 at the PSU 48). Even if PSU only gets a FG there 24-20 feels a lot different. It sounds like the issue there was the receiver (Singleton) being past the LOS for a play that is designed pick (but blocking allowed if pass is behind the LOS). Not picking on Singleton but for those of you clamoring for “all freshmen, all the time”, this is a side effect of that.
  • At some point the TOP just caught up to the defense. You cannot let you opponent have the ball for 75% of the game and expect the defense to have any gas to get a stop when needed in the 4Q.
  • Anyone else find it odd that up 3 scores with 5 minutes left, Harbaugh still had all his starters in? He is, and forever will be, a milk drinking douche.
  • Big picture comments: no one likes to lose a game like that but for all the doom and gloom, how many posters here predicted we’d be 5-1 at this point? Or to ask another way, if I told you in August PSU would be 5-1, would you be OK with that? Also recall, that in 2016, PSU also got blown out by Michigan @ Michigan (I’d argue that was a much worse loss). I think most people would agree the 2016 PSU was a good team. An 11 win season is still on the table. We are….

• Stadium experience – I’d been to the Big House a bunch of times before. Beautiful weather, but a little windy. Not sure if that was apparent on TV, but the wind was definitely as issue at field level, especially for the kicker. The Maize Out was (predictably) underwhelming. It might look OK if everyone actually did it, but I’d put participation on maybe 70%. Lots of people wearing blue (some PSU fans in white) or other random colors. I kind of get if it’s really cold out and you don’t own a maize parka, but it was 55 degrees. I also noted that the crowd seemed less “classy” than times I’d been there in the past. There was a “**** Penn State” chant from the student section at the beginning of the game, the crowd boos the visiting team entrance (far more than you see at Beaver Stadium) and boos their own band when they do their “PSU tribute Song (I assume this was hail to the lion, but couldn’t hear because they were facing the visitor section which was the opposite site of the stadium from me). They also do this super annoying “You suck” sing along to whatever song the band plays after a 3rd or 4th down stop. Very juvenile. Anyway, I’ve certainly seen worse at away games, but the environment there has changed from 10 (or maybe even 5) years ago.

• (disclaimer on comments on the game: I haven’t re-watched on TV yet, so there may have been things I couldn’t see from the stands)

• I think the defense actually played OK in the first half. They gave up yards between the 20s and forced FGs. That’s generally what they’ve done all year. And they got a pick six. The FG at the end of the half was disappointing, but it was greatly aided by what I thought was a pretty bad DPI call against Dixon (the receiver appeared to initiate contact on the downfield defender). However, down 16-14 at the half was not unacceptable, given how little the offense did.
  • Speaking of the offense, I noted several pass plays that seemed to be “interesting designs” but it seemed that if the primary receiver wasn’t open (they generally weren’t) there didn’t seem to be a viable check down. Not sure if the secondary receivers just aren’t getting open, or if the play design focuses too much on getting the primary open at the expense of making everyone else just “window dressing.”
  • The real killers were the two long runs, which took that game from 17-16 PSU to 31-17 Michigan. The second one (Corum) seemed to involved a pretty blatant missed holding call (86 tackled 43) right in the hole at the point of attack. I get that holding could be called on every play yada-yada, but right at the point of attack just has to be called. Probably not a difference maker in the game, but certainly didn’t help.
  • On PSU’s possession after the first long run (score is 24-17 Michigan), the OPI against PSU was brutal. If that play stood it would have been 1st and 10 at the UM 27 (instead of 3rd and 19 at the PSU 48). Even if PSU only gets a FG there 24-20 feels a lot different. It sounds like the issue there was the receiver (Singleton) being past the LOS for a play that is designed pick (but blocking allowed if pass is behind the LOS). Not picking on Singleton but for those of you clamoring for “all freshmen, all the time”, this is a side effect of that.
  • At some point the TOP just caught up to the defense. You cannot let you opponent have the ball for 75% of the game and expect the defense to have any gas to get a stop when needed in the 4Q.
  • Anyone else find it odd that up 3 scores with 5 minutes left, Harbaugh still had all his starters in? He is, and forever will be, a milk drinking douche.
  • Big picture comments: no one likes to lose a game like that but for all the doom and gloom, how many posters here predicted we’d be 5-1 at this point? Or to ask another way, if I told you in August PSU would be 5-1, would you be OK with that? Also recall, that in 2016, PSU also got blown out by Michigan @ Michigan (I’d argue that was a much worse loss). I think most people would agree the 2016 PSU was a good team. An 11 win season is still on the table. We are….
I noticed the Michigan starting DT in during the last defensive series. Really bad coaching to risk losing a very good player at blowout time.

football is a very emotional game. Sometimes you get piled up on in terms of offense, defense, refs, fans, away game. I looked to me like we got really aggressive in the 3rd to stop the run and got beat when we had nothing on top to stop the big run. By the middle of the third quarter, they were just gutted.

As bad as the run defense was you would have thought our safeties could have at least on one of the long runs prevented the TD. Both go for 6. Limit one to a 30 or 40 yard gain and could have possibly prevented a TD. Game outcome not unchanged though. I guess we were gassed. I mean really give up 2 long TD runs back to back. Almost like we gave up on those plays. Their backs are good but not that good.

Reactions: psuno1
As bad as the run defense was you would have thought our safeties could have at least on one of the long runs prevented the TD. Both go for 6. Limit one to a 30 or 40 yard gain and could have possibly prevented a TD. Game outcome not unchanged though. I guess we were gassed. I mean really give up 2 long TD runs back to back. Almost like we gave up on those plays. Their backs are good but not that good.
Both of their backs are very, very fast.

football is a very emotional game. Sometimes you get piled up on in terms of offense, defense, refs, fans, away game. I looked to me like we got really aggressive in the 3rd to stop the run and got beat when we had nothing on top to stop the big run. By the middle of the third quarter, they were just gutted.
Michigan never punted and ran for over 400 yards.

Any other analysis is unnecessary.

An embarrassment for a once proud football program and a continuance of underachievement under Franklin.

Pretty good write up, thanks. All during the first half was telling a friend the D will be toast by the fourth quarter. Just can’t keep them on the field that long. Especially since we don’t have a lot of depth there.

So hard to predict the future schedule. As you pointed out about the 2016 team.....things can change rapidly and drastically. I don’t think any remaining team has the power run game of Michigan. Not even the Suckeyes. Michigan’s D was also stout which is a concern as O hi ya might be comparable there.

So the key, at least to my eyes, is how the O line develops. Tengwell should be back which helps. But they need to improve and quickly. Maybe now the staff will move a couple of the chess pieces around. The play calling seems to be pretty vanilla......more counter action, more quick hits to TE on run fakes, more quick pitches to the outside, more screens. We need an offense that moves the ball and allows the D to rest.

Reactions: PSU2UNC

"Blatent holding": lol. Here is the play. Penn State's 44 runs into a double team block with Michigan's tackle and tight end (#86). Not much of a "tackle" as he never hit the ground. By the time Corum is about 8 yards ahead, 44 gives up his chase. I will say that #9 for Penn State is a burner. He must be at least .2 seconds faster than Corum.

And Franklin blaming his own players for not being big enough when he is in charge of recruiting? What a dick.

Last edited:
"Blatent holding": lol. Here is the play. Penn State's 44 runs into a double team block with Michigan's tackle and tight end (#86). Not much of a "tackle" as he never hit the ground. By the time Corum is about 8 yards ahead, 44 gives up his chase.

And Franklin blaming his own players for not being big enough when he is in charge of recruiting? What a dick.

You are looking at the wrong guys. Perhaps it's 88 on UM but it is 43 (pretty sure) for PSU. There is no double team. The UM player has his downfield hand outside of the shoulder pad and throws 43 to the ground. That's holding.

• Haha
Reactions: Go M&B
You are looking at the wrong guys. Perhaps it's 88 on UM but it is 43 (pretty sure) for PSU. There is no double team. The UM player has his downfield hand outside of the shoulder pad and throws 43 to the ground. That's holding.

The guy who is getting blocked and goes to the ground in a desperate lunge at Corum? He hits the ground by his own attempt to tackle. If he was being held he wouldn't have been able to make that dive.

The guy who is getting blocked and goes to the ground in a desperate lunge at Corum? He hits the ground by his own attempt to tackle. If he was being held he wouldn't have been able to make that dive.
I'm talking about the guy who is getting held and is clearly tackled to the ground by the Michigan defender. If you don't see that, I suggest consulting an optometrist.

• Wow
Reactions: Westcoast24
I'm talking about the guy who is getting held and is clearly tackled to the ground by the Michigan defender. If you don't see that, I suggest consulting an optometrist.

I think you are conjuring up some excuses to sooth your mind's eye.

eb2065db-ea9e-48f4-a9ba-b595b7d40121-third-eye.jpg-copy-1024x576.png

It's not an excuse. It almost certainly didn't impact the outcome of the game. But definitely holding that wasn't called.

Well, I think we know that the enormous Penn State fanbase is not shy about calling out the refs when it comes to bad & missed calls. You are the first person I have seen who has made this claim.

Well, I think we know that the enormous Penn State fanbase is not shy about calling out the refs when it comes to bad & missed calls. You are the first person I have seen who has made this claim.
People have been too busy complaining about Franklin and Clifford to focus on the refs.

The captain of the ref-review squad is injured, he's been in a coma since the late 1st half of the game. He should return Saturday after the Minnesota game provided it is a PSU victory.

Reactions: ivan brunetti
Definitely better?

Interesting standard.

Im not 100% sure even Nick Saban would be better.

But I’m 90% sure that we can do better than Franklin.
I'm still confused as to how "one of the most successful coaches in CFB" allows a "milk-drinking douche" to outcoach him 2 years in a row.

Reactions: bourbon n blues

Thanks for the observations...was at a barbecue and got there just into the second quarter. Football is an emotional game that can hinge on a play or call here and there....see where this team and some of these players go...could be either way...what makes college football so interesting.

Reactions: PSU2UNC
Definitely better?

Interesting standard.

Im not 100% sure even Nick Saban would be better.

But I’m 90% sure that we can do better than Franklin.
Not sure what you mean by 90% sure -- are you implying that 90% of available coaches are better than Franklin? Seems unlikely just based on math and past performance.

I hope we've learned from schools that fire reasonably successful coaches (see Nebraska, Texas, etc) trying to "take the next step" that they are usually disappointed with the result.

So I guess the question becomes if there is a 10% chance that your next hire gets you to the playoff, a 20% chance things stay the same and a 70% chance the team regresses do you want to take that risk?

I do not. I would rather 100% know what I have: I coach who can win 11+ games a year, who can win NY6 bowl games, who can win the conference championship, who should have been invited to playoff in 2016, who almost certainly will be in the playoff when it expands, who graduates players, who is a good representative of the university, etc.

If you are into constantly betting on long shots, go to Vegas. There is no sure thing hire that will be better than Franklin.

I'm still confused as to how "one of the most successful coaches in CFB" allows a "milk-drinking douche" to outcoach him 2 years in a row.
He wasn't outcoached last year. Michigan hit a lucky play at the end.

He is 2-2 against Franklin in his last 4.

Try again, hater.

• Wow
Reactions: Westcoast24
Not sure what you mean by 90% sure -- are you implying that 90% of available coaches are better than Franklin? Seems unlikely just based on math and past performance.

I hope we've learned from schools that fire reasonably successful coaches (see Nebraska, Texas, etc) trying to "take the next step" that they are usually disappointed with the result.

So I guess the question becomes if there is a 10% chance that your next hire gets you to the playoff, a 20% chance things stay the same and a 70% chance the team regresses do you want to take that risk?

I do not. I would rather 100% know what I have: I coach who can win 11+ games a year, who can win NY6 bowl games, who can win the conference championship, who should have been invited to playoff in 2016, who almost certainly will be in the playoff when it expands, who graduates players, who is a good representative of the university, etc.

If you are into constantly betting on long shots, go to Vegas. There is no sure thing hire that will be better than Franklin.
I mean that there’s a 90% chance that if we have a real search for the best coach we can get and keep, he will be better than Franklin.

I think most FBS coaches are better/smarter than Franklin.

But he is a superior recruiter, so that matters too.

"Blatent holding": lol. Here is the play. Penn State's 44 runs into a double team block with Michigan's tackle and tight end (#86). Not much of a "tackle" as he never hit the ground. By the time Corum is about 8 yards ahead, 44 gives up his chase. I will say that #9 for Penn State is a burner. He must be at least .2 seconds faster than Corum.

What was Kalen King (#4) doing on that play?

I mean that there’s a 90% chance that if we have a real search for the best coach we can get and keep, he will be better than Franklin.
I don't think there is any way to know that, but based on how MOST other new hires go this certainty seems WAAAAY too high.
I think most FBS coaches are better/smarter than Franklin.
Strongly, strongly disagree.
But he is a superior recruiter, so that matters too.
Yes, that is part of being a head coach. And he's pretty good at that.

What was Kalen King (#4) doing on that play?
Being a true sophomore?

I mean I guess he had outside contain on that but just waited a beat too long to react to things going inside. But hard to know without knowing everyone's responsibilities on that play.

Reactions: rcy4499
I don't think there is any way to know that, but based on how MOST other new hires go this certainty seems WAAAAY too high.

Strongly, strongly disagree.

Yes, that is part of being a head coach. And he's pretty good at that.
Best sign of intelligence on display in football is clock management.

Pure reasoning/logic.

James isn’t very smart.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...t-decisions-Devyn-Ford-153599998/#153599998_1

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nca...nd-of-game-timeouts/lg8e2u1j115d13iskqmuo5clk

https://www.si.com/college/pennstate/football/penn-state-coach-james-franklin-clock-management

Last edited:
First, Ford wasn't told to score, so that's not Franklin's clock management. It is clear they didn't want him to score.

Second, not all clock management is clear cut. There are multiple logical paths for most situations.

Finally, can you please point to a clock management issue from THIS YEAR? I think they cleaned this up pretty well.

First, Ford wasn't told to score, so that's not Franklin's clock management. It is clear they didn't want him to score.

Second, not all clock management is clear cut. There are multiple logical paths for most situations.

Finally, can you please point to a clock management issue from THIS YEAR? I think they cleaned this up pretty well.

Poor clock management is a sign of a lack of brain power.

Its pretty indisputable that Franklin isn’t good at it.

Intelligence doesn’t really change in adults.

So, I suspect that it hasn’t happened this year simply due to a lack of opportunity. People don’t get smarter in their 40s.

from
That I'm sure is true but also from what I saw our DBs were out of position and taking a terrible angle.
Kalen King was very slow to leave his outside contain gap to pursue. Other angles are harder to diagnose, but I agree the angles weren't ideal.

That doesn't mean their backs aren't fast. These obviously weren't their first long TDs of the year.

Poor clock management is a sign of a lack of brain power.
That's a weird singular metric to determine brain power. I agree it is a component.
Its pretty indisputable that Franklin isn’t good at it.
I dispute that. Again, show me an example from this year.
Intelligence doesn’t really change in adults.

So, I suspect that it hasn’t happened this year simply due to a lack of opportunity. People don’t get smarter in their 40s.
But they can learn new things. A really smart person might not be good at playing Scrabble but they can learn to be. Clock management is a "game skill" just like Scrabble.

That's a weird singular metric to determine brain power. I agree it is a component.

I dispute that. Again, show me an example from this year.

But they can learn new things. A really smart person might not be good at playing Scrabble but they can learn to be. Clock management is a "game skill" just like Scrabble.
There just hasn’t been an opportunity to fail this year.

It’s the only football related metric I know.

You can tell by his demeanor. Franklin isn’t that smart. Smart people make a mistake, they admit it and move on because they know they’re smart and mistakes happen.

But people who are not smart live in fear of being “found out”.

Which of those behaviors did Franklin exhibit?

43. Just wow. Takes himself totally out of the play and gets pancakes. 7 takes a horrible angle. 23 takes himself out of the play.

There just hasn’t been an opportunity to fail this year.

It’s the only football related metric I know.

You can tell by his demeanor. Franklin isn’t that smart. Smart people make a mistake, they admit it and move on because they know they’re smart and mistakes happen.

But people who are not smart live in fear of being “found out”.

Which of those behaviors did Franklin exhibit?
I disagree. Other than Franklin's verbal crutch of "obviously" during interviews, I think he is quite intelligent. I don't think there are any data points to the contrary. Please keep in mind that "skill" (clock management/Scrabble) is not the same as "intelligence".

I disagree. Other than Franklin's verbal crutch of "obviously" during interviews, I think he is quite intelligent. I don't think there are any data points to the contrary. Please keep in mind that "skill" (clock management/Scrabble) is not the same as "intelligence".
Clock management is not like scrabble.

Closer to chess, where you have to quickly play out a variety of if….then statements and branches with probabilities.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT