ADVERTISEMENT

Football STAFF PREDICTIONS: Penn State Football vs. Michigan

I know everyone is wondering "what does Obli think?"

I think PSU cracks down the home stretch but plays a pretty decent game. I see us containing UM's offense early. Mostly the running game. But I see us wearing down due to a lack of depth. A lot depends on our O sustaining drives. I am not sold on UM's QB but he is clearly good and efficient. On offense, I think we'll move the ball OK but UM's defense is good. Offense, as it has been, will be inconsistent. Also, we've had problems throwing deep and creating chunk plays.

In the end, I see UM pulling away late in the third and fourth quarters. Predicition>. UM 27 - PSU 17.

I'm not sold on Michigan or JJ McCarthy. They've built an unbeaten record and top-5 ranking on the backs of a bunch of cupcakes.

OK, our schedule hasn't been brutal either but we did beat a good Purdue team at their place and manhandled Auburn on the road as well. In short, we've been tested. Michigan hasn't.

I think we're zeroed in and ready to play...with talent and speed all over the field plus a 6th-year guy behind center. If we get a cleanly officiated game -- a very big if -- I think we pull the upset in the Big House. Won't predict a score, but who cares. Only the W or L matters in this game.

Penn State 27, Michigan 24

Singleton will bust a TD run of 50+ yards. Corum rushes for 103 yards but on 33 carries. Clifford has 1 INT, but McCarthy is picked off twice, the second INT by Tig Brown seals the victory.

WE ARE!!!

I'm not sold on Michigan or JJ McCarthy. They've built an unbeaten record and top-5 ranking on the backs of a bunch of cupcakes.

OK, our schedule hasn't been brutal either but we did beat a good Purdue team at their place and manhandled Auburn on the road as well. In short, we've been tested. Michigan hasn't.

I think we're zeroed in and ready to play...with talent and speed all over the field plus a 6th-year guy behind center. If we get a cleanly officiated game -- a very big if -- I think we pull the upset in the Big House. Won't predict a score, but who cares. Only the W or L matters in this game.
Going to have to play an awful good football game…referines are as poised as they have been for decades.

THE GAME will be preserved at all costs.

I don’t trust Clifford to run this offense in the big house. He will flat foot at least 6 passes and cost us the game.

96th rush d? What exactly is the Michigan tool referencing there. We’re giving up fewer rushing yards per game than they are.

Going to have to play an awful good football game…referines are as poised as they have been for decades.

THE GAME will be preserved at all costs.

Agreed.

We play very physical in the secondary, so an early tell would be flags on pass interference. Or a drive killed by holding on the OL.

I'm hoping against hope that we get Jerry McGinn...an old Big East guy. Mike Cannon? No. The very fact that we have to even think about such things tells you something about this conference.

In the end, they screw themselves. It's my theory that after playing with the zebras on their side for a whole year, the Big Two are at a disadvantage in high-profile bowl games where the games are called evenly and the incompetence breaks both ways.

Reactions: NittanyChris

I would argue Michigan is more tested than we are. The Purdue win looks no better than UM's Maryland win. Auburn is a joke of a team that will likely finish with a losing record and 1 and 7 in the SEC with the win being the result of a blown play by the worst team in that league. Michigan played and beat Iowa at Iowa. Iowa isn't as good as last year but they still have the best defense and special teams in the Big Ten and they moved the ball fairly easily. To me, that says they are more tested. Not by much but a bit.

Please stop with the officiating bit. This isn't 2014. We haven't had a game since Ohio State where officiating played a major role in the outcome. Personally, I think we are going to lose, maybe badly but officiating almost certainly won't play a critical role.

I would argue Michigan is more tested than we are. The Purdue win looks no better than UM's Maryland win. Auburn is a joke of a team that will likely finish with a losing record and 1 and 7 in the SEC with the win being the result of a blown play by the worst team in that league. Michigan played and beat Iowa at Iowa. Iowa isn't as good as last year but they still have the best defense and special teams in the Big Ten and they moved the ball fairly easily. To me, that says they are more tested. Not by much but a bit.

Please stop with the officiating bit. This isn't 2014. We haven't had a game since Ohio State where officiating played a major role in the outcome. Personally, I think we are going to lose, maybe badly but officiating almost certainly won't play a critical role.

Purdue is better than Maryland. I'm underwhelmed by Iowa, which has one of the worst offenses in college football and could barely beat South Dakota State. Also, by the way, after that Iowa game Kirk Ferentz slammed the officiating and suggested that it had played a part in deciding the game. The referines strike again.

Speaking of officiating, I totally disagree with you. We're not always talking about spectacularly outrageous calls. The pattern is often more subtle than that...and it only works one way. There are many instances of this, but just two off the top of my head that didn't even involve the Big-2 was Minnesota in 2019 where a winning TD (and unbeaten season) was negated by a phantom pick play. Or how about Indiana in 2020. Key call blown at the end. The list goes on and you certainly don't have to go back as far as 2014 to find examples.

Reactions: JJTopp99
Purdue is better than Maryland. I'm underwhelmed by Iowa, which has one of the worst offenses in college football and could barely beat South Dakota State. Also, by the way, after that Iowa game Kirk Ferentz slammed the officiating and suggested that it had played a part in deciding the game. The referines strike again.

Speaking of officiating, I totally disagree with you. We're not always talking about spectacularly outrageous calls. The pattern is often more subtle than that...and it only works one way. There are many instances of this, but just two off the top of my head that didn't even involve the Big-2 was Minnesota in 2019 where a winning TD (and unbeaten season) was negated by a phantom pick play. Or how about Indiana in 2020. Key call blown at the end. The list goes on and you certainly don't have to go back as far as 2014 to find examples.
You mean the pick play that actually did happen and was painfully obvious the receiver didn't even try to hide the intent of the contact he initiated? Sorry, it was a good call. Stop with Indiana. You can say it was a bad call but go ahead and prove it. There is no way you can prove the call was wrong without a pylon cam and they weren't used in that game. You want him to have been out of bounds but you can't say he was because the evidence quite frankly isn't there.

Well Purdue did beat Maryland @Maryland! (scUM beat Maryland at the Big Outhouse AND BENEFITED FROM MULTIPLE BULLSHIT REFERINE CALLS - calls that absolutely cost Maryland points and gave scUM points). So there's that LMFAO.

Clifford is the key. He tends to come out all excited and pumped up in big games then overthrows open receivers. He needs to be calm and composed and hit those open guys. That will then open up the running game.

I told Coach********just me being witty******* that if Clifford overthrows his first pass then he needs to call two Qb runs to burn off some adrenaline and get his head into the game. Some QBs just need some physical contact and he is one of those. A QB draw, an off tackle run.......then back to a pass. Repeat until he calms down. Then do same throughout the game anytime he starts to get excited and overthrow guys.

A balanced O negates their front seven. Opens up the run. Rests the D.

It’s on Clifford. Don’t be the dog today.

Reactions: Obliviax
You mean the pick play that actually did happen and was painfully obvious the receiver didn't even try to hide the intent of the contact he initiated? Sorry, it was a good call. Stop with Indiana. You can say it was a bad call but go ahead and prove it. There is no way you can prove the call was wrong without a pylon cam and they weren't used in that game. You want him to have been out of bounds but you can't say he was because the evidence quite frankly isn't there.
Of course you don’t consider pictures proof, but that doesn’t surprise me considering it’s you. I also work with a lot of Indiana fans and every single one of them think they got the benefit of a bad call, so it’s not just PSU fans seeing it a certain way….I would say it’s more you seeing it a certain way.

Gee, could you explain these comments from Kirk Herbstreit a day after the call on ESPN:
Penn State got the ball first and scored, but Indiana quickly responded with a touchdown and a controversial two-point conversion that sealed a victory.

Herbstreit was just as confused as everyone else when the referees ruled that Hoosier quarterback Michael Penix Jr. scored.

“I just feel for any fans, and especially players and coaches, when the game ends with a call like that,” Herbstreit said during a press conference Friday. “When I was watching it and looking at it… I kept seeing the ball hit the ground and then hit the pylon and I’m like ‘there’s no way, as far as I understand the rule, that’ll be good.

“I was more perplexed cause I thought I knew the rule, and I thought you could clearly see the ball hit the ground. So I’m still kinda confused about the whole thing,” Herbstreit added.

Gee, your opinion doesn't seem to be shared by knowledgable football experts - go figure! LMFAO.

I think this is one of those games were our weaknesses are their strengths on both sides of the ball with a couple of uncertainties. Offensively, their biggest weakness is our strength but they may not have to go there which means it could be a moot point. Defensively, they are good in all aspects with no 'known' weakness. That doesn't mean one isn't there at this point but if Maryland didn't expose it, I am not sure we can either. Matchup wise, we have played a single unit that is in Michigan's class all year with the exception of QB where Purdue had a lot of success. Michigan is different however.

I expect Michigan to test the perimeter run defense which was a problem last year. That was the difference in last year's game. Haskins couldn't exploit it and Corum was out with injury keeping us in the game into the fourth. If we haven't corrected it, look out because Michigan won't have to throw downfield into our strength. Regardless, the middle of the field will be open because we simply can't generate pressure without bringing linebackers and we haven't faced a single player that would start on Michigan's line or at tight end thus far much less a group of them. Thinking this game looks a lot like Michigan's game against Iowa, only we'll score more points. Michigan plays conservative on offense, runs the ball fairly well, throws to the tight end over the middle on occasion and cruises a win that isn't as close as the score. Unless of course Franklin gets desperate and we go for it on fourth down when we shouldn't, or call ill-advised fakes on special teams or start pressing and the turnovers come.

Michigan 28
Penn State 15

I'm not buying the pick play. A lot of things can be interpreted as picks, but it's like holding...typically not called...and certainly not called to decide the outcome of a game.

We also got hosed in the Indiana game. Clear as a bell.

Like I said, it's a lengthy list. I could go on...

I think this is one of those games were our weaknesses are their strengths on both sides of the ball with a couple of uncertainties. Offensively, their biggest weakness is our strength but they may not have to go there which means it could be a moot point. Defensively, they are good in all aspects with no 'known' weakness. That doesn't mean one isn't there at this point but if Maryland didn't expose it, I am not sure we can either. Matchup wise, we have played a single unit that is in Michigan's class all year with the exception of QB where Purdue had a lot of success. Michigan is different however.

I expect Michigan to test the perimeter run defense which was a problem last year. That was the difference in last year's game. Haskins couldn't exploit it and Corum was out with injury keeping us in the game into the fourth. If we haven't corrected it, look out because Michigan won't have to throw downfield into our strength. Regardless, the middle of the field will be open because we simply can't generate pressure without bringing linebackers and we haven't faced a single player that would start on Michigan's line or at tight end thus far much less a group of them. Thinking this game looks a lot like Michigan's game against Iowa, only we'll score more points. Michigan plays conservative on offense, runs the ball fairly well, throws to the tight end over the middle on occasion and cruises a win that isn't as close as the score. Unless of course Franklin gets desperate and we go for it on fourth down when we shouldn't, or call ill-advised fakes on special teams or start pressing and the turnovers come.

Michigan 28
Penn State 15

Such a blowhard - gee, given that scUM has played an even worse slate than PSU, so your "they haven't played anyone" bullshit is really quite ironic and hysterical.

• Haha
Reactions: Go M&B and JJTopp99
I'm not buying the pick play. A lot of things can be interpreted as picks, but it's like holding...typically not called...and certainly not called to decide the outcome of a game.

We also got hosed in the Indiana game. Clear as a bell.

Like I said, it's a lengthy list. I could go on...
Personally I think officiating has become an excuse. I can buy the Indiana game. It is close but close enough that personal bias can explain it. The Minnesota play was a clear penalty. I was at the game sitting at the corner. The receiver (can't remember who it is) didn't even attempt to sell a route. He clearly was picking the defender. That can't be avoided. It was a pick, pure and simple.

Michigan 28
Penn State 15
Have you always been this negative about Penn State or is it just because you don’t like Franklin? I’m genuinely curious because if your posts are an indication of what type of fan you are, you really should find another team. I’m not sure why anyone would want to be so miserable about any team they supposedly follow, it doesn’t make sense. And this applies to a few posters on this board.

Reactions: bskokcole and 81b&w
Personally I think officiating has become an excuse. I can buy the Indiana game. It is close but close enough that personal bias can explain it. The Minnesota play was a clear penalty. I was at the game sitting at the corner. The receiver (can't remember who it is) didn't even attempt to sell a route. He clearly was picking the defender. That can't be avoided. It was a pick, pure and simple.

Hit this HOTLINK. And that post by FOX was made intra-game -- amazing how they were correct in that it did heavily impact the outcome of the game (and there was a 2nd unreviewed bullshit called INT for scUM that was an incompletion). Go figure!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Go M&B
Wow--the game doesn't even start for over an hour and people are already blaming the officiating

Should be a close game. Comes down to which QB makes plays when he has to and which team limits mistakes. We keep it close but Michigan has slightly more talent and pulls away a bit at the end. 23-14. Should be a great game though.

2 hrs 24 min 28 seconds is when they replay the play.

Minnesota ran 2 defenders into Daniel George. He probably should have shifted left or right, but it does appear they are impeding his ability to run down the field.

Biggest issue: he lifted his hands up and that generally draws OPI.

Minnesota ran 2 defenders into Daniel George. He probably should have shifted left or right, but it does appear they are impeding his ability to run down the field.

I can't believe anyone is claiming that wasn't a penalty

Have you always been this negative about Penn State or is it just because you don’t like Franklin? I’m genuinely curious because if your posts are an indication of what type of fan you are, you really should find another team. I’m not sure why anyone would want to be so miserable about any team they supposedly follow, it doesn’t make sense. And this applies to a few posters on this board.

He's not a PSU fan - he's a typically childish, parochial, douche fan of a "traditional b1g team" posing as a PSU fan (what does that tell you about his absurd lecturing about the objectivity of the corrupt b1g hack Officials?).

Clifford is the key. He tends to come out all excited and pumped up in big games then overthrows open receivers. He needs to be calm and composed and hit those open guys. That will then open up the running game.

I told Coach********just me being witty******* that if Clifford overthrows his first pass then he needs to call two Qb runs to burn off some adrenaline and get his head into the game. Some QBs just need some physical contact and he is one of those. A QB draw, an off tackle run.......then back to a pass. Repeat until he calms down. Then do same throughout the game anytime he starts to get excited and overthrow guys.

A balanced O negates their front seven. Opens up the run. Rests the D.

It’s on Clifford. Don’t be the dog today.
Agree - 1000%. Have him get rid of that Apache face paint and come out with a workman's attitude to the game, not completely pumped up like a DT. He has done that a few times and has been horrible the first few series.

And for God's Sake, Do Not try and run that delayed handoff up the middle of UM DL. It has always been a given 2 yard loss against a good defense.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Agree - 1000%. Have him get rid of that Apache face paint and come out with a workman's attitude

b7e52e143076d3c84b0d6e181cd9bc68f87b3c83.gif

I can't believe anyone is claiming that wasn't a penalty

LMAO, the Minny Defenders (2 of them) initiate head on contact to a PSU slot-receiver heading directly downfield - that is not Offensive PI when the defenders initiated 100% of the contact. You're so full of shit as per usual.

LMAO, the Minny Defenders (2 of them) initiate head on contact to a PSU slot-receiver heading directly downfield - that is not Offensive PI when the defenders initiated 100% of the contact. You're so full of shit as per usual.
Your bias blinds you from literally everything

Your bias blinds you from literally everything

Ironic coming from the biased blind douche who poses as a PSU-fan to make his asinine comments. LMFAO. Too funny, that you claim the 2 Minny defenders don't initiate 100% of the initial contact when it is as plain as day and not debatable on the video provided. You're nickname isn't "Always Wrong" for nothing douche-boy.

Ironic coming from the biased blind douche who poses as a PSU-fan to make his asinine comments. LMFAO. Too funny, that you claim the 2 Minny defenders don't initiate 100% of the initial contact when it is as plain as day and not debatable on the video provided. You're nickname isn't "Always Wrong" for nothing douche-boy.
Yes, someone that doesn't know what they're talking about that believes everything Penn State does is perfect and when we fail it's on the refs is going to think I'm always wrong. Every play today that doesn't have a flag on Michigan you'll complain about and you'll claim every flag called on them was irrelevant. It's predictable as always. The OPI 10 out of 10 times.

Two of the three interceptions (the two most important; the other ended up being a glorified punt) Clifford threw were due to defensive pass interference not being called. At around 48 minutes in, you can see the first blown call. At around 2 hours and 26 minutes in, you can see the second.

Two of the three interceptions (the two most important; the other ended up being a glorified punt) Clifford threw were due to defensive pass interference not being called. At around 48 minutes in, you can see the first blown call. At around 2 hours and 26 minutes in, you can see the second.
Yeah, that was DPI but if that ball was thrown to Dotson it was an absolutely horrible throw.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT