ADVERTISEMENT

Stanley cup playoffs thread

Aardvark86

Jan 23, 2018
Congrats on the w by the pens last night. I was a little surprised - shocked actually - how gassed the rangers looked in ot of just the first game of the series. Obviously goalie becomes the issue going forward.

As much toughness as I have seen the Pens since their last cup run.......Rangers were looking to take heads off the first 25 minutes of the game and then once the score got closer the Rangers seemed to tighten up.....the Rangers were the younger team but looked more tired than the old pens..... Shocked that hit at the end of the first period was not a major or a disqualification for Ranger. Cannot understand how the Penguin gets what appears to be a concussion without their being a head impact on the check. Can't see Pens win the series even with DeSmith....without him no chance.

Reactions: Ski
As much toughness as I have seen the Pens since their last cup run.......Rangers were looking to take heads off the first 25 minutes of the game and then once the score got closer the Rangers seemed to tighten up.....the Rangers were the younger team but looked more tired than the old pens..... Shocked that hit at the end of the first period was not a major or a disqualification for Ranger. Cannot understand how the Penguin gets what appears to be a concussion without their being a head impact on the check. Can't see Pens win the series even with DeSmith....without him no chance.
I watched the first 10 minutes and turned it off to finish Ozark. I thought the Pens had no shot and was shocked to find out they won.

Reactions: PSU Soupy
IMO Pens showed a lot of heart deep in OT last night. When DeSmith left they could have just packed it in but Domingue made a few saves and the team seemed to respond. I don’t think they can win the Cup but I am a lot more optimistic they can win this series.

Just curious what folks think of the waived off goal. I don’t have a dog in the fight but looked a bit like the defender was up on the offensive players back and kinda forced the collision into the goalie….was a little surprised they said no goal but I don’t know what constitutes goalie interference. I feel like I’ve seen similar goals count in the past. In any case, very entertaining game. Both teams looked like they were skating in slow motion by the 3rd OT period but they did play almost two games last night. Tremendous redirect in front of the net to win it….amazing considering how fast the shot is coming!

Just curious what folks think of the waived off goal. I don’t have a dog in the fight but looked a bit like the defender was up on the offensive players back and kinda forced the collision into the goalie….was a little surprised they said no goal but I don’t know what constitutes goalie interference. I feel like I’ve seen similar goals count in the past. In any case, very entertaining game. Both teams looked like they were skating in slow motion by the 3rd OT period but they did play almost two games last night. Tremendous redirect in front of the net to win it….amazing considering how fast the shot is coming!
I thought it could have gone either way. Kakko clearly was driving to the net and it's tough to say that Dumo forced him into the goalie. As a Pens fan I thought it would stand but I'm glad I was wrong. I wouldn't have complained however they called it.

I thought it was a great hockey game. After the Pens were down 2-0 I really did think it was over. Guentzel is so underrated that it's honestly ridiculous. Rust played one hell of a game too. Geno and Letang turned the puck over way too much so hopefully the fix that but the Rangers turned the puck over a lot. It will be interesting to see how both teams play tomorrow.

Pens announcers thought it was a good goal as Dumolin pushed the guy into the goalie. But the guy had his leg out wide and could have pulled it in to minimize contact. Was surprised it was called no goal.

As for the game....looked like it was fixed. First period was all Rangers and the beat the hell out of the Pens. One guy had to helped off. Several others barely made it to the bench. Rangers up 2 zip. Rangers were in total control. But suddenly the stripes decided to start calling penalties in the seconds period. Four straight against the Rangers. Pens took over even after giving up a short handed goal.

It was as if the stripes said during intermission we can’t let this get out of hand. Keep it close. And I say this as a Pens fan. Just weird how it all suddenly changed.

Will say that the one penalty for roughing should have been a five minute major as the hit was at the head. Looked like a Tom Wilson Special.....start out low to look legit but quickly rise up into the head just as you make contact. The Pen hit was a top goal scorer and now is out with what appears to have been a concussion. Pens were short a wing all night after that and he is likely out a couple games for concussion protocol.

A major problem for the Pens is who is gonna be goaltender? Jarry still out for a broken foot. Casey DeSmith took himself out during the second OT, appeared to limp off the ice, and is listed day to day. So they are down to a third string guy and they called up a backup from the minor leagues today.

Pens announcers thought it was a good goal as Dumolin pushed the guy into the goalie. But the guy had his leg out wide and could have pulled it in to minimize contact. Was surprised it was called no goal.

As for the game....looked like it was fixed. First period was all Rangers and the beat the hell out of the Pens. One guy had to helped off. Several others barely made it to the bench. Rangers up 2 zip. Rangers were in total control. But suddenly the stripes decided to start calling penalties in the seconds period. Four straight against the Rangers. Pens took over even after giving up a short handed goal.

It was as if the stripes said during intermission we can’t let this get out of hand. Keep it close. And I say this as a Pens fan. Just weird how it all suddenly changed.

Will say that the one penalty for roughing should have been a five minute major as the hit was at the head. Looked like a Tom Wilson Special.....start out low to look legit but quickly rise up into the head just as you make contact. The Pen hit was a top goal scorer and now is out with what appears to have been a concussion. Pens were short a wing all night after that and he is likely out a couple games for concussion protocol.

A major problem for the Pens is who is gonna be goaltender? Jarry still out for a broken foot. Casey DeSmith took himself out during the second OT, appeared to limp off the ice, and is listed day to day. So they are down to a third string guy and they called up a backup from the minor leagues today.
I only watched the first ten minutes but one pen got boarded and was holding his head. I was shocked that a boarding penalty wasn't called. It may have been that it took the Pens a period to get into playoff hockey when it comes to officiating and the intensity of the playoffs.

The Pens announcers? The game had national announcers unless you were listening on the radio or something. I wouldn't have been mad if is was called a good goal but that was always a judgment call that could go either way.

And I don't see how it looked fixed. You often see one team come out quick and the other team counter, especially a veteran team.

The Pens announcers? The game had national announcers unless you were listening on the radio or something. I wouldn't have been mad if is was called a good goal but that was always a judgment call that could go either way.

And I don't see how it looked fixed. You often see one team come out quick and the other team counter, especially a veteran team.
It was broadcast on AT&T Sports Pittsburgh with Pens announcers. Enjoy them better as they know the players and have some good stories. And Bob Erry is a very good announcer, IMO.

It was broadcast on AT&T Sports Pittsburgh with Pens announcers. Enjoy them better as they know the players and have some good stories. And Bob Erry is a very good announcer, IMO.
Hmm--I thought only the TNT games were also on AT&T--good to know.

Rough night for the Pens. Special teams have to be better and they need to find some secondary scoring. It can't only be Sid, Geno, Jake and Rust finding the net. Rangers played a strong game so kudos to them.

It’s the mean season and nothing like it in professional sports... Backup goalies are everywhere. First round matchups are mostly toss ups. Survival of the fittest is the rule. Need to win 16 games but what a gauntlet. Two months of glory and so blows away the NBA playoffs. Enjoy.

Crazy game. Pens up 4-1 in first. Rangers goalie....favorite for the Venza trophy.....chased. Tied at 4 end of second. Each team had a goal AFTER net was dislodged by defenseman. Lots of action. Pens third goalie made some great saves.
Matheson and Letang have to play much better if they're going to continued to be paired if the Pens are going to survive the first round/make a run. It was nice to see the Pens get secondary scoring and Domingue definitely played well despite giving up 4. Should be an interesting game 4.

Matheson and Letang have to play much better if they're going to continued to be paired if the Pens are going to survive the first round/make a run. It was nice to see the Pens get secondary scoring and Domingue definitely played well despite giving up 4. Should be an interesting game 4.
IMO Pens are in the drivers seat for this series - stealing game one was huge. Rangers have to win 3 of 4, with at least one win in Pittsburgh. The Pens only need to win both home games.

I do not believe the Pens are necessarily the better team but are vastly more experienced. They are VERY hot and cold but seem to be hot enough to overcome the Rangers when they need to.

I think they'll need Jarry, Dumo and Rakell back to make a run. Also, Teddy needs to be okay--he's so valuable to this team. Really worried seeing him leave the ice in the second.

Edit: Teddy was out there for the third which is great news
Smell and Jarry are almost ready. Could be by weekend if needed. What’s up with Dumo? Don’t know his injury. Really missed him game two but they seem to have adjusted quite well since.

Smell and Jarry are almost ready. Could be by weekend if needed. What’s up with Dumo? Don’t know his injury. Really missed him game two but they seem to have adjusted quite well since.
The Matheson-Letang pair still makes me nervous. They've been on the ice for a lot of goals. Some fluke goals but still...

Pens are looking solid...age/playoff experience paying off early. The ? is how will goal hold up and then will returning players be ready? The other ? is stamina for veteran players in longer series. I picked Rangers to win round 1 but am likely wrong. Fans last night helped home team immensely.

Watching a lot of Tampa vs Toronto. Exciting blend of the champ refusing to go down and an original 6 team trying to get the monkey off their backs. I like Toronto to go far IF they don't choke (like last year). Matthews was hyped up last night...physical all over the ice. Exciting.

Great series across the board w exception of Avs vs Preds. Good for hockey 🏒

Well having Sidney get elbowed in the head by a low level by a lacking in any talent Ranger just made the series a lot closer......... Waiting for the Bettman announcement talking about player safety and the ejection of the Ranger player.......on a play where there was no penalty called....... Clown League....... Lebron gets a cross look from a defender he shoots 3 fout shots........NFL is fine with Brady getting late hit.......oh they are not okay with anyone coming within 6 feet of Tom...........NHL is fine with the Wilsons, the Troubas of the NHL looking to take out the most skilled players........

Last edited:
Well having Sidney get elbowed in the head by a low level by a lacking in any talent Ranger just made the series a lot closer......... Waiting for the Bettman announcement talking about player safety and the ejection of the Ranger player.......on a play where there was no penalty called....... Clown League....... Lebron gets a cross look from a defender he shoots 3 fout shots........NFL is fine with Brady getting late hit.......oh they are not okay with any coming within 6 feet of Tom...........NHL is fine with the Wilsons, the Troubas of the NHL looking to take out the most skilled players........
I don't mind you being mad about the hit but Trouba and Wilson (especially Wilson) are skilled players. Hockey is supposed to be extremely physical and even elite players, including Crosby and Malkin, take cheap shots. As a Pens fan, I'm never surprised when either of them cross the line. You're overreacting here. And hopefully the NHL ever becomes a job like the NBA.

Reactions: bytir
Trouba has 1/10 th the skill that Crosby has......the biggest way for him to make a difference in the series is to take a cheap shot at Jake G. (which he did, but did not work) and Sidney which most likely took Sidney out for the series. The brilliant NHL has already stated that there will be no inquiry or meeting to discuss Trouba's clearly intentional elbow to the head.

I do not want the NHL to become the NBA or the Premier League but good god, what sport other than MMA fighting can you throw an elbow to take out the other teams best player??

And the Pens never responded....as usual. Their stars always get the crap beat out of them and they just take it. And that’s what Sullivan wants.....‘play the right way’. What they need to do is go after their top players but they won’t because of the fear of penalties. But when a team says 5herevare no rules then you have to play no rules.

Get a lower player to get the puck and go straight into their goalie with a full head of steam. Smash him into the third row. Then take out Penarra. Put on the uniforms of the Broadstreet Bullies. Screw the NHL.

I like this Pen's team. They play hard......they are down numerous players and are still giving the Rangers everything that they can muster.......would not surprise me if somehow they can get win in NYC......although they will be a 1.5 goal underdog.........

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT