ADVERTISEMENT

Stone Saunders (Bishop McDevitt QB)

RickinDayton

May 29, 2001
Though he is only a sophomore, this year he has thrown 19 TDs with zero INTs. Offer list is impressive and includes Georgia & Michigan. No offer yet from PSU. Article on PennLive indicated PSU and Oklahoma State have shown "interest". Wonder why PSU has not offered this in-state player?

Last edited:
Reactions: NedFromYork
Though he is not a sophomore, this year he has thrown 19 TDs with zero INTs. Offer list is impressive and includes Georgia & Michigan. No offer yet from PSU. Article on PennLive indicated PSU and Oklahoma State have shown "interest". Wonder why PSU has not offered this in-state player?
Pass. Mcdevitt doesn't play any real competition. They are playing so far down that I'm not sure how you would even evaluate their players and it creates a safety issue for the small school teams that they play. If Mcdevitt actually played in the correct division then we might be able to evaluate their kids.

Pass. Mcdevitt doesn't play any real competition. They are playing so far down that I'm not sure how you would even evaluate their players and it creates a safety issue for the small school teams that they play. If Mcdevitt actually played in the correct division then we might be able to evaluate their kids.
OK. Thanks for ur opinion. I guess he still has a few years to play. I recall PSU taking a chance on a RB named Journey Brown who played in a smaller PIAA classification and he was excellent until the medical issue ended his career. Does McDevitt schedule any higher classification games

Reactions: JimNazium
OK. Thanks for ur opinion. I guess he still has a few years to play. I recall PSU taking a chance on a RB named Journey Brown who played in a smaller PIAA classification and he was excellent until the medical issue ended his career. Does McDevitt schedule any higher classification games
Let me clarify, my opinion isn't that he plays against too weak of competition. It is that he plays against competition that is too weak relative to his team. Could you evaluate a power 5 player whose team only plays d3 teams? That's the problem. If Stone transferred to a 6A team that played other 6A teams and he crushes it, then absolutely, send the offer.

Let me clarify, my opinion isn't that he plays against too weak of competition. It is that he plays against competition that is too weak relative to his team. Could you evaluate a power 5 player whose team only plays d3 teams? That's the problem. If Stone transferred to a 6A team that played other 6A teams and he crushes it, then absolutely, send the offer.
Understand. Certainly w/QBs it's probably harder to evaluate when they play against lesser competition. Will be interesting to watch his progression the next few years.

Reactions: Online Persona
Understand. Certainly w/QBs it's probably harder to evaluate when they play against lesser competition. Will be interesting to watch his progression the next few years.

He's not a PSU coach.... The PSU staff can still evaluate him for arm-strength, accuracy, throwing-motion, mobility, speed, etc.... I don't think PSU's staff is big on offers to sophmores... Doesn't mean they aren't evaluating him.

Reactions: RickinDayton
So a local kid has an offer from Georgia and scUM but he’s not good enough for an offer from dear ole state??? Hmmm, OK. They must not have gotten around to it. Come on man. Evaluations are done at summer camps. HS competition is secondary nowadays.

• Haha
Reactions: Lion8286
He's not a PSU coach.... The PSU staff can still evaluate him for arm-strength, accuracy, throwing-motion, mobility, speed, etc.... I don't think PSU's staff is big on offers to sophmores... Doesn't mean they aren't evaluating him.
That's true. My opinion that he plays on a team that doesn't allow for a true evaluation due to their massive talent disparity over every team they play doesn't mean PSU coaches see it that way.

But honestly, any qb would have good numbers with multiple receivers open by 10 yards every play and 20 seconds to throw it without getting touched. It's the the same reason why Ohio St QBs are always busts in the NFL although their talent disparity is far less than Mcdevitt enjoys. Mcdevitt only plays teams that for comparison would be like division 3 if they were a power 5 team. It's at least that bad and seriously a safety concern for the young men suiting up for the small schools they play against.

How does a team get to play down? I was under the impression that if a lower classification team won year after year, the WPIAL/PIAA made them play up.

See Aliquippa.

Reactions: psrurock
How does a team get to play down? I was under the impression that if a lower classification team won year after year, the WPIAL/PIAA made them play up.

See Aliquippa.
Their enrollment is the same as other schools they play but as a catholic school they recruit to the extent that they are bringing in stars from other states. Their games just aren't competitive and are actually safety issues for the other team. I know of players from other teams with concussion issues that took weeks to even return to school. It's just a bad situation.

If I were the ADs from these small schools, I would just all go together and forfeit every game against Mcdevitt for a year or however long it takes until their recruits understand that if they want to play then they are going to have to play against similar competition.

Reactions: hlstone
Their enrollment is the same as other schools they play but as a catholic school they recruit to the extent that they are bringing in stars from other states. Their games just aren't competitive and are actually safety issues for the other team. I know of players from other teams with concussion issues that took weeks to even return to school. It's just a bad situation.

If I were the ADs from these small schools, I would just all go together and forfeit every game against Mcdevitt for a year or however long it takes until their recruits understand that if they want to play then they are going to have to play against similar competition.
I get it now, maybe a better solution would be a separate private school/catholic school league.

Or, make them play up like they do the Quips.

I get it now, maybe a better solution would be a separate private school/catholic school league.

Or, make them play up like they do the Quips.
Well, McDevitt is a 4A school playing in the second highest Mid Penn division with 1 other 4A school, 5 5A schools, and 1 6A school. Checking their schedule, they also added Imhotep (5A) and LaSalle College high school, (6A), as noncon opponents this year.

I get that many were used to them playing CV, Harrisburg, CD, etc but I believe the Mid Penn knocked McD down 1 division when State College and Altoona joined (the top Mid Penn division are all 6A teams).

Well, McDevitt is a 4A school playing in the second highest Mid Penn division with 1 other 4A school, 5 5A schools, and 1 6A school. Checking their schedule, they also added Imhotep (5A) and LaSalle College high school, (6A), as noncon opponents this year.

I get that many were used to them playing CV, Harrisburg, CD, etc but I believe the Mid Penn knocked McD down 1 division when State College and Altoona joined (the top Mid Penn division are all 6A teams).
Mcdevitt doesn't belong playing the small schools in their division. Some kid(s) is going to get seriously hurt. It would be like PSU playing high school teams. I'd be embarrassed for us and eventually someone would get seriously hurt.

Mid Penn should bump McD up to the big school division. They do it for other teams and sports. Cedar cliff wrestling got bumped up last season because they had won their division like 9 years in a row. Wrestling against much bigger schools CD, CV, Chambersburg, SC & Mifflin County I think they finished last.

Mcdevitt doesn't belong playing the small schools in their division. Some kid(s) is going to get seriously hurt. It would be like PSU playing high school teams. I'd be embarrassed for us and eventually someone would get seriously hurt.
They’re not playing “small schools”. ALL schools in their division are bigger than McDevitt.

On top of that, it’s not McDevitt’s choice which Mid Penn division they are in. IIRC the Mid Penn conference put them in the 2nd highest division when Altoona and State College (6A schools) joined years ago. They rearranged a lot of schools at that time. (There are 38 teams in the conference).

They put all 6A schools (minus one) in the top division. McD is in the division just below that.

For those not familiar with the Mid Penn there are 5 divisions in football. The top division, (Commonwealth), are all 6A schools. McD (4A school) is in the second division, (Keystone), with one other 4A school, five 5A schools and a 6A school.

There are schools bigger than McD in the division below them, (Colonial), where there are four 5A schools and four 4A schools.

Last edited:
Mid Penn should bump McD up to the big school division. They do it for other teams and sports. Cedar cliff wrestling got bumped up last season because they had won their division like 9 years in a row. Wrestling against much bigger schools CD, CV, Chambersburg, SC & Mifflin County I think they finished last.
There were a lot of unhappy folks when realignment of the Mid Penn was done a few years ago, (including McD folks who hated losing games with Harrisburg, CV, Carlisle, CD etc). That was the Mid Penn’s call.

IIRC it was the consensus of the bigger schools who were focused on the D3 (and therefore PIAA) rankings that weighed points based on the level of school you played. That was used to determine who made the playoffs and who was left out.

They’re not playing “small schools”. ALL schools in their division are bigger than McDevitt.

On top of that, it’s not McDevitt’s choice which Mid Penn division they are in. IIRC the Mid Penn conference put them in the 2nd highest division when Altoona and State College (6A schools) joined years ago. They rearranged a lot of schools at that time. (There are 38 teams in the conference).

They put all 6A schools (minus one) in the top division. McD is in the division just below that.

For those not familiar with the Mid Penn there are 5 divisions in football. The top division, (Commonwealth), are all 6A schools. McD (4A school) is in the second division, (Keystone), with one other 4A school, five 5A schools and a 6A school.

There are schools bigger than McD in the division below them, (Colonial), where there are four 5A schools and four 4A schools.
They are decently small. My nephew played for one of them recently and they and several other schools in that division literally didn't have enough kids to fill out a full 2 deep. Most decent players never come off the field and each team might have 1 or 2 players at most that would possibly make the 2 deep at Mcdevitt.

It is not competitive and actually dangerous. One of the starters on my nephew's team was concussed, missed several weeks of school, and never returned to football again. There were several other injuries as well. But that's what happens when Mcdevitt recruits kids from hundreds of miles away and doesn't take their starters out when up by 8 or more TDs.

ADVERTISEMENT