ADVERTISEMENT

Stopping the run vs Auburn

NittanyChris

Dec 3, 2001
This is my main concern and I’m sure I’m not alone. Isaac is coming off a major injury and has not appeared to be the same player he was prior, although it’s just a two game sample size. Beamon is undoubtedly undersized at DT. Mustipher is the MAN and a lot will hinge on him in this game. He’s also coming off major surgery. Is he at 100%? 80% 70%? Our LBs beyond Jacobs are question marks apart from Carter’s massive talent, but to get Carter on the field, they’ve been subbing out Jacobs. Does Manny stack more in the box and rely on the strength of our secondary?

Good news is I think our passing game will shred the Auburn D and Singleton provides the speed and explosiveness we lacked at RB last year.

Will Auburn control TOP with their run game and keep our O off the field? We’ll see.

WE ARE!!!

Reactions: NedFromYork
Manny Diaz is, supposedly, a wiz at run-stopping blitzes. But the issue isn't just stopping the run because that is easily accomplished. You just pack the box. The issue is that you are dedicating resources to run-stopping at the expense of pass-stopping resources. Here is where I think we are good: We have excellent CBs and Ss. We may be able to dedicate the front seven to run-stopping, even drop down our Ss, and cover WRs one-on-one. If we have to use our Ss to stop the run, and not just the front 7, we will be vulnerable against short passing games attacking our LBers (RB and TEs).

If we pack the LOS with assets to stop the run, I don't see Auburn having the assets to sustain drives through the air.

knock-on-wood.gif

MUST rotate fresh players in this game...this is a depth game.
I think we’ll do a lot of rotation, agreed. I also think we will do a lot of stacking the box with 8 men and relying on our talented secondary to hold the fort while we stop the run. Same for run-blitzing. That said, our tackling needs to be sharp because there’s a potential for huge runs if the RB gets past the first level.

Two keys to the Nits getting a win... how they handle the heat and how they handle Tank who should get the rock 25-30 times this game. On offense, PSU needs to get a lead...

This is my main concern and I’m sure I’m not alone. Isaac is coming off a major injury and has not appeared to be the same player he was prior, although it’s just a two game sample size. Beamon is undoubtedly undersized at DT. Mustipher is the MAN and a lot will hinge on him in this game. He’s also coming off major surgery. Is he at 100%? 80% 70%? Our LBs beyond Jacobs are question marks apart from Carter’s massive talent, but to get Carter on the field, they’ve been subbing out Jacobs. Does Manny stack more in the box and rely on the strength of our secondary?

Good news is I think our passing game will shred the Auburn D and Singleton provides the speed and explosiveness we lacked at RB last year.

Will Auburn control TOP with their run game and keep our O off the field? We’ll see.

WE ARE!!!
Strange with the weight of Beamon. His first year playing, he weighed in at 290 and had a really good year. I thought that when he got to 300-305 he would be a force in the middle of the DL. However, his weight dropped to 260 or so with no mention that it was sanctioned by the staff. He is now around 264 and has that good first step, but with that huge Auburn OL, and "Tank" you have to wonder how he will hold up.

Tank didn't blow the doors of San Jose State with about 53 yards rushing, so we will find out soon enough.

I agree we need to stack the box to stop the run. Let our secondary be one on one, their passing game is not great. We cannot afford a mistake in coverage or they can burn us. LB play will be huge to help with the run and stop short passing game. Finally the D-Line needs to show up, can't get pushed all over. Mustipher, Beamon and Isaac are all question marks still.

PSU is light on the DL front especially when Mustipher is not in there. Not good in a slobberknocker game which this one should be.

PSU is light on the DL front especially when Mustipher is not in there. Not good in a slobberknocker game which this one should be.
They can't pass or stop the pass. We just need to stop the run enough that we can outscore them

Reactions: NittanyChris

WE ARE!!!
The DBs will have to come up to help stop the run. That could expose us to big pass play.

WE ARE!!!
To those going to the game, enjoy one of the top five environments in college football.

To those going to the game, enjoy one of the top five environments in college football.
It seemed loud at times, but the "Orange Out" was poorly executed. And it emptied out super quick in the third quarter. I think Auburn had more false starts/delay of games (crowd related penalties) than PSU did. So while I think it is probably a neat place to see a game (eagle flight is very cool), I don't think it compares to Big Ten venues.

ADVERTISEMENT