ADVERTISEMENT

Storley got hosed

Allensville Amos

Jan 21, 2013
First let me say I like Mike Evans. I know some don't apreciate his "chip on your shoulder, in your face style", whatever you want to call it, but I do. Unless he's up against Brown, I root for "the stache". A central PA kid that wrestles with an attitude. Having said that, Storley got royally screwed. No way did Evans have control, I don't care what you want to say about how the rules have changed. Even in slow motion Storley took Evans straight to his back, never even a pause. In the end, even if Storley had pinned Evans, Iowa still wins, but that was just a flat out bad call in my book.

Originally posted by Allensville Amos:
First let me say I like Mike Evans. I know some don't apreciate his "chip on your shoulder, in your face style", whatever you want to call it, but I do. Unless he's up against Brown, I root for "the stache". A central PA kid that wrestles with an attitude. Having said that, Storley got royally screwed. No way did Evans have control, I don't care what you want to say about how the rules have changed. Even in slow motion Storley took Evans straight to his back, never even a pause. In the end, even if Storley had pinned Evans, Iowa still wins, but that was just a flat out bad call in my book.
Even in slow motion Evans got the take down in OT. Game over, what don't you get?

Old rules I'd agree but this is no reaction time. Takedown

That match was boring and then all of a sudden in OT Evans gets another gear. Hate that kind of match but kudos for getting the win.

Originally posted by KidNittany:
Old rules I'd agree but this is no reaction time. Takedown

That match was boring and then all of a sudden in OT Evans gets another gear. Hate that kind of match but kudos for getting the win.
Even under the old rules that is a TD. Evans had both legs and Storley was flat on his back. Heck, he was close to being pinned. That fact that Storley never came to a complete stop is pretty much moot since (I haven't actually looked this up) but I don't think the rules mention anywhere that the wrestler being taken down has to come to a complete stop.

From another certified non-expert (I can't even keep track of what's what these days) I would lean towards no control until Storley got him, otherwise Q's opponents would've been given a lot more TDs when he was here.

I agree that it's moot point though
3dgrin.r191677.gif

I thought there was moment between hitting the mat where Storely seemed to just gather the strength to elevate Evans while rolling through which probably hurt his chances of negating Evans's takedown attempt. That said it didn't look to me that Evans ever had control of either leg.

A judgement call. The fact that the referees looked at it in slow motion and still decided it was 2 says they saw enough control to not overturn the call. I don't know the exact wording of the rule but have to believe the refs do.

I give props to Evans on an awesome, aggressive takedown and Storley for almost getting himself out of that mess. Great match and look forward to seeing rematches at National Duals, Big Tens, and NCAAs.

Is there a more entertaining set of four wrestlers to watch compete against each other than Brown, Evans, Storley, and Kokesh? I don't recall four wrestlers in a weight competing for so many years and going back and forth the way these guys have. Very fun to watch regardless of who wins ... but I hope Brown wins it all!

The only takedown rule change in the past 4 years is the removal of the weight-bearing judgment for a hand that touches the mat. The new rule (2013-14) is... touch the mat, and it's 2...no weight-bearing requirement. My point is, this is the only rule change, and does not apply in this case, so...

...if this was a takedown in 2012, it's a takedown today. My opinion is that Evans won the match with the first score in Sudden Victory.

think it was 2 as well. If the underhook was there before he was on his butt then you could argue it was a continuation of his move but he was clearly on his butt and then fought for the underhook to elevate...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT