ADVERTISEMENT

Suggestions for where to shop for a home office desk?

Ranger Dan

Gold Member
Aug 31, 2003
York PA
my wife and I are looking to buy a desk to set up a home office. This isn’t a remodel or hire a decorator situation, just finding a decent desk to fit into an existing multipurpose room with dog crates and elliptical (anyone want to buy an elliptical?). It doesn’t have to be top of the line, but want to try for better than particleboard.

I’ve been looking on Craigslist and Facebook marketplace, but found nothing interesting. Other than Staples, what chain stores sell desks? I can’t remember ever seeing desks for sale at furniture stores, but maybe I just missed them. What about Home Depot or Lowe’s?

Go to a business supply store and see if they have any used stuff. Supply source in williamsport always have lots of good quality used stuff when the state remodels and office(which is probably more often than should be).

Reactions: Ranger Dan
my wife and I are looking to buy a desk to set up a home office. This isn’t a remodel or hire a decorator situation, just finding a decent desk to fit into an existing multipurpose room with dog crates and elliptical (anyone want to buy an elliptical?). It doesn’t have to be top of the line, but want to try for better than particleboard.

I’ve been looking on Craigslist and Facebook marketplace, but found nothing interesting. Other than Staples, what chain stores sell desks? I can’t remember ever seeing desks for sale at furniture stores, but maybe I just missed them. What about Home Depot or Lowe’s?

Of all the lame requests and posts... this is one of the lamest.

LdN

Go pound sand... the title of my post wasn’t misleading at all. Why did you open it and waste your time reading it?

Really I read it just to laugh at it, and then to reply like I did.

It's part of the enjoyment of this board at times is to laugh hilariously at the requests.

LdN

We had a company called Lenons to Lemonade Design Co. in Palmyra make one for us from reclaimed wood and a piece of bowling alley floor we found in our house when we bought it. It’s on FB if you go to his page. The guy does great work and it’s very unique.

xoneu.jpg

I would go used. At my old company, we would buy mahogany and cherry desks and credenzas at greatly discounted prices from a used furniture company in the King of Prussia area. They would look brand new at maybe 50-60% of the price. There has to be several in Central PA.

I do have a nice mahogany desk in my computer room that I got on clearance at a Raymour and Flannigan store.

Personally, I would use Craigslist and be patient, Did you see these?

https://york.craigslist.org/fuo/d/office-desk/6759461131.html

https://york.craigslist.org/fuo/d/broyhill-oak-desk/6732393659.html

https://harrisburg.craigslist.org/fuo/d/cherry-brown-home-office-desk/6741346414.html

The restore Lancaster store is located off the greenfield exit on route 30. They almost always have some used desks for good prices. The restore stores in York usually don't have much furniture. .

Also finders keepers has two stores .. on white Street in west York or near heritage hills .

Under no circumstances do IKEA. Huge problems in their supply chain and customer service recently. You could pay and not receive your order for weeks, then take another week for anyone to answer in customer service. Unless you pick it up in the store, but you're still on your own for any issues after purchase. Sad how far their customer service has fallen off.

I got my setup from a second hand office furniture supply store. They scoop up gently used office furniture from companies that remodel, go out of business, etc and resell. Paid about a grand for an L-shaped desk and credenza that probably sold for $5K new.

See if the York/Harrisburg area has such a place.

I would go used. At my old company, we would buy mahogany and cherry desks and credenzas at greatly discounted prices from a used furniture company in the King of Prussia area. They would look brand new at maybe 50-60% of the price. There has to be several in Central PA.

I do have a nice mahogany desk in my computer room that I got on clearance at a Raymour and Flannigan store.

Personally, I would use Craigslist and be patient, Did you see these?

https://york.craigslist.org/fuo/d/office-desk/6759461131.html

https://york.craigslist.org/fuo/d/broyhill-oak-desk/6732393659.html

https://harrisburg.craigslist.org/fuo/d/cherry-brown-home-office-desk/6741346414.html
Thanks for the suggestions. I found a really nice cherry desk and credenza on Craigslist in York. My wife thought it was too fancy... we have different tastes at times, but if we agree on something it is usually a perfect fit for our home.

Under no circumstances do IKEA. Huge problems in their supply chain and customer service recently. You could pay and not receive your order for weeks, then take another week for anyone to answer in customer service. Unless you pick it up in the store, but you're still on your own for any issues after purchase. Sad how far their customer service has fallen off.
Yeah, I’m not interested in ikea. The value is good, but it’s not my cup of tea style wise, and generally fit more with a dorm or loft apartment type environment.

Chain stores? Seriously Dan? Why even consider a chain store when Fairgambit Worldwide Enterprises can put you behind this beauty for a price much higher than you could possibly imagine? Have your people call my people, but don't wait. Gems like this don't last long. Remember Dan, "No one gives you less for more" than Fairgambit Worldwide Enterprises. :)

mahoganypedestaldesk5b-650.jpg

I like lots of workspace. Have used an interior door stretched across 2 - 2 drawer filing cabinets and a nice office chair......

Just Cabinets

Go used. I got an awesome hooker furniture set on Craigslist. Huge desk with leather and slate inlays and an 8’ bookcase for $1500 on Craigslist. Retail was over $6k. People were moving to Hawaii and didn’t want to pay to ship the stuff!

Chain stores? Seriously Dan? Why even consider a chain store when Fairgambit Worldwide Enterprises can put you behind this beauty for a price much higher than you could possibly imagine? Have your people call my people, but don't wait. Gems like this don't last long. Remember Dan, "No one gives you less for more" than Fairgambit Worldwide Enterprises. :)

mahoganypedestaldesk5b-650.jpg

Do you barter?

Go pound sand... the title of my post wasn’t misleading at all. Why did you open it and waste your time reading it?
You had it clearly in the subject line, you're in the right here.
Though it begs the question about your dislike for a post discussing Penn State FB

You had it clearly in the subject line, you're in the right here.
Though it begs the question about your dislike for a post discussing Penn State FB
I love posts about Penn state football. I just think you can discuss how great saquon Barkley is without throwing Miles Sanders under the bus.

I love posts about Penn state football. I just think you can discuss how great saquon Barkley is without throwing Miles Sanders under the bus.
Don't think I did that in the slightest, but you're entitled to your take on it

Don't think I did that in the slightest, but you're entitled to your take on it
Maybe I’m confusing you with someone else then. I thought the thread was about how long it’s been since SB fumbled, and you made the comment about miles sanders having fumbitis.

Maybe I’m confusing you with someone else then. I thought the thread was about how long it’s been since SB fumbled, and you made the comment about miles sanders having fumbitis.
I did in fact say that. And I said it after putting forth the caveat that I recognize it's unfair to compare saquon to anyone because he is so good. I also pointed out how I have personal connections to Miles, and root for him even more than I do the average Penn Stater. Then I offered constructive criticism on the topic exactly on point with the original post.

So, I don't see it as "throwing him under the bus" at all. But you're a reasonable poster, draw your own conclusions

Yeah, I’m not interested in ikea. The value is good, but it’s not my cup of tea style wise, and generally fit more with a dorm or loft apartment type environment.
While I don't like many Ikea desks, I've seen some people that buy a kitchen counter top from them and slap their desk legs on it or use a file cabinet/drawer unit instead of legs on one or both ends. That looks nice IMO, and by doing that you can get a good quality wood top instead of cheaper quality stuff.

We bought a desk, chair, and printer stand from Ashley Furniture. The ensemble was about $1700 retail, but we got it for $1000.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT