ADVERTISEMENT

Football Takeaways from Penn State’s 35-16 win over Michigan State

1. Glad we finished 10-2
2. Hope we get a great bowl
3. I'm glad we didn't play anybody good today.
4. We made beating a dumpster fire like MSU look difficult.
5. After watching UM and OSU on offense today, I'm envious.
6. Looking forward to Allar & Co. next year. We can win it all next year.

Change your offensive philosophy..handing.off 6 yds in the backfield standing still doesn't work. Especially when your o line is.pushed backwards

Our OL is still horrible after all these years. I know we are playing backups but look at how many players were out for Mich St. And, can we stop leaving the middle of the field open time and again, and again, and again!!! 3rd and 18, no problem for Mich St. just throw over the middle, which they did time and again.

165-40 is the combined score of our last five games, but let’s all keep complaining.
Actually, that’s the combined scores of the last 4 games. To be objective, the combined record of those opponents is 20-28…not exactly murderer’s row. I’m a PSU fan, but I’m not going to pound my chest over beating the likes of Indiana, Rutgers and a depleted MSU team.

Last edited:
Actually, that’s the combined scores of the last 4 games. To be objective, the combined record of those opponents is 20-28…not exactly murdere’s row. I’m a PSU fan, but I’m not going to pound my chest over beating the likes of Indiana, Rutgers and a depleted MSU team.
You’re right, last four games….and I’m not pounding my chest over beating those teams, it’s how we beat them. 165-40 in four games is pretty impressive regardless of who you’re playing. By comparison Michigan beat those four teams 146-61. Ohio State beat them 154-74.

You’re right, last four games….and I’m not pounding my chest over beating those teams, it’s how we beat them. 165-40 in four games is pretty impressive regardless of who you’re playing. By comparison Michigan beat those four teams 146-61. Ohio State beat them 154-74.
Just look at both UM and OSU OL compared to us. It looks like "men against boys." We will never beat those two teams unless we get more physical up front. Comparing scores against the same opponents is fine for press coverage; however, both teams are far superior than us on both the OL and DL.

Just take a look at how Mich St. DL was dominating our OL blocking, tackling our RB's at the LOS or in the backfield. Sure we broke a few runs and were fortunate with turnovers, but they were putting pressure on Clifford time and again. This did not happen to UM which allowed them to burn OSU's secondary for a couple TD's.

Our OL is just not physical, period. They never knock anyone off the ball the way UM does. This has been ongoing for years, and I thought Trautwein (sp) was the answer, but nothing has changed thus far. Our OL is just plain "weak."

Reactions: CltDon1
Just look at both UM and OSU OL compared to us. It looks like "men against boys." We will never beat those two teams unless we get more physical up front. Comparing scores against the same opponents is fine for press coverage; however, both teams are far superior than us on both the OL and DL.

Just take a look at how Mich St. DL was dominating our OL blocking, tackling our RB's at the LOS or in the backfield. Sure we broke a few runs and were fortunate with turnovers, but they were putting pressure on Clifford time and again. This did not happen to UM which allowed them to burn OSU's secondary for a couple TD's.

Our OL is just not physical, period. They never knock anyone off the ball the way UM does. This has been ongoing for years, and I thought Trautwein (sp) was the answer, but nothing has changed thus far. Our OL is just plain "weak."
Well we out rushed and out passed OSU, so those boys did pretty well against their men…then injuries took their toll.

Reactions: Online Persona
Well we out rushed and out passed OSU, so those boys did pretty well against their men…then injuries took their toll.

The fact of the matter is that to be a playoff contender next year, this team needs much better line play on both sides of the ball. PERIOD. THE END.

Reactions: PSUCYCLING
Seems like a consensus that Olu Fashanu will get a high #1 grade and will be gone....real shame.

If he leaves we would/could have:

Hunter Norzaud at C - one year in Strength and conditioning at 6'3" and 315 lbs.
Vega Ionane at G - redshirt freshman....time in Strength Progam 6' 4" and 335 lbs.
Sal Wormley at G - redshirt senior next year 6' 3" at 305....could gain another 10 lbs.
Drew Shelton at OT - true sophomore one year in Strength....could come back around 6'5" 3115 lbs.
Langdon Tangwell at OT - True Sophomore ...I would move to OT....he could be 6'6" 315 lbs.

With JB Nelson and Jimmie Christ as key back ups.......with Dawkins and Archumba also in the mix.......

Would be a good sized line. Like the interior as Hunter can run....Ionana looks like an earth mover at G and Wormley maybe the most consistent (outside of Olu) on the Oline this year.

If we can improve next year as much as there was improvement this past year. We should be ok.....would like to see some transfers at WR....to scare back the defenses so we are not dealing with 7 or 8 in the box all day long.

Reactions: wlawn
The fact of the matter is that to be a playoff contender next year, this team needs much better line play on both sides of the ball. PERIOD. THE END.

MSU is a tough matchup for PSU because they're physical, they're not a finesse team, they have a huge OL and tough defensive front. Big physical receivers and a QB who, when he wasn't being knocked on his butt, could deliver the ball accurately.

It was a quality win but also a reminder of what PSU is and isn't. People wishing for PSU to play a physical top-tier SEC team in a bowl, be careful what you wish for.

PSU needs to improve OL and receiving corps next year. The TEs are great but the team really needs 1 or 2 more wideouts with size. Maybe some of those big MSU receivers might be entering the portal.

Seems like a consensus that Olu Fashanu will get a high #1 grade and will be gone....real shame.

Hunter Norzaud at C - one year in Strength and conditioning at 6'3" and 315 lbs.
Vega Ionane at G - redshirt freshman....time in Strength Progam 6' 4" and 335 lbs.
Sal Wormley at G - redshirt senior next year 6' 3" at 305....could gain another 10 lbs.
Drew Shelton at OT - true sophomore one year in Strength....could come back around 6'5" 3115 lbs.
Langdon Tangwell at OT - True Sophomore ...I would move to OT....he could be 6'6" 315 lbs.

With JB Nelson and Jimmie Christ as key back ups.......with Dawkins and Archumba also in the mix.......

Would be a good sized line. Like the interior as Hunter can run....Ionana looks like an earth mover at G and Wormley maybe the most consistent (outside of Olu) on the Oline this year.

If we can improve next year as much as there was improvement this past year. We should be ok.....would like to see some transfers at WR....to scare back the defenses so we are not dealing with 7 or 8 in the box all day long.
No way Shelton puts on that much. 3115 lbs? That's insane.;)

After the game, Juice said he is contemplating a 6th year.

Shelton needs to lose a LOT of weight. At 3,115 pounds that isn’t even healthy

;-)

Fashanu is a sophomore, actually a junior considering Covid (recruiting class of 2020). As a recruit he was 6'6" and 315 lbs. Now he is first round material without being a red shirt senior or even a senior -- just 2 full years in the S&C program (from Fall 2020 through Fall 2022). [Don't remember if he was an early enroll. If so we'll count him an extra year.]

Fashanu should be the model for our path forward -- both sides of the ball -- just as Barkley was the model for RBs. (In my opinion) Allar should be the model for quarterbacks, and Carter for linebackers. Allar played a decent amount as a freshman. That is what we want.

These players should serve as examples in our recruiting and in their development.

I do think the offensive system could get better though (in my opinion) we've seen some improvement this year. Still way too many slowly developing run plays, and very little use of the short-center part of the field in our passing game, despite a good group of tight ends. I remember when we exploited this area of the field with Jordan Norwood. It can be done. It SHOULD be done to open up room for some really good running backs.

well, in fairness to the OL, in the second half MSU was moving all 11 defenders no more than 6 yards off the line of scrimmage. It would be pretty difficult to run against that.
But my takeaway is that our coaches are hard headed. The passing game was wide open and we showed it on those last two drives. But we persisted in trying to run up the middle...baffling

And, we were destroyed by one DE "JT Tuimoloau" who threw Efner around like he was a rag doll. This weak OL could not block him, yet UM neutralized him. See the difference with S&C. And, a few years back the Bosa brothers wrecked havoc with our OL for 4-5 years, along with OSU's other DE who constantly destroyed our OL.

And, look what UM's DL did to our OL this year, along with MSU constant pressure and sacks of Clifford yesterday. They did that with half a team.

Get the picture!!!

And, we were destroyed by one DE "JT Tuimoloau" who threw Efner around like he was a rag doll. This weak OL could not block him, yet UM neutralized him. See the difference with S&C. And, a few years back the Bosa brothers wrecked havoc with our OL for 4-5 years, along with OSU's other DE who constantly destroyed our OL.

And, look what UM's DL did to our OL this year, along with MSU constant pressure and sacks of Clifford yesterday. They did that with half a team.

Get the picture!!!
Ooh, get the picture? Really? Yes, now that you and your football expertise has pointed it out, this rube has finally gotten it. Maybe pick up the phone and call Franklin (and every other coach in the Big) and let them all know. It should be so easy to go out and get every OLineman and DLineman they want because every kid on the planet only wants to play for PSU.

Reactions: summitlion1
We have had a weal OL for "years now." We have almost all 4 star OL on the roster, more than Mich when we started he season. Just take a look, it's not difficult!

Michigan has a 3 star LT and a "2 star center" both headed for the NFL. And both physically destroyed our DL and LB's.....

Michigan has a 3 star LT and a "2 star center" both headed for the NFL. And both physically destroyed our DL and LB's.....
That's dishonest, "2 star center"? Yeah, the guy was a rimington trophy finalist and 2nd team all American transfer from UVA. Michigan didn't develop him and he is better described as the best returning OC in all of college football as his 2 stars in HS aren't reflective of the player Michigan landed in the portal.

Michigan lands elite OL in portal

Reactions: royboy

Too funny - PSU had 410 yards of Total Offense (250 Passing / 160 Rushing) versus MSU's 254 Yards of Total Offense (229 Passing / 25 Rushing). MSU attempted 44 passes and only completed 24 (5.2 yards per attempt, 9.5 yards pet completion), while PSU completed 20 of 25 attempts (10.0 yards per attempt, 12.5 yards per completion). But MSU dominated the trenches on both sides of the ball..... blah, blah, blah..... Some of you are so pathetic. PSU is playing multiple 2nd and 3rd teamers on OL due to injuries and did just fine.

Fashanu should stay. You don't see too many 20 year Olds starting in the NFL on offensive lines.

Reactions: psuno1
MSU is a tough matchup for PSU because they're physical, they're not a finesse team, they have a huge OL and tough defensive front. Big physical receivers and a QB who, when he wasn't being knocked on his butt, could deliver the ball accurately.

It was a quality win but also a reminder of what PSU is and isn't. People wishing for PSU to play a physical top-tier SEC team in a bowl, be careful what you wish for.

PSU needs to improve OL and receiving corps next year. The TEs are great but the team really needs 1 or 2 more wideouts with size. Maybe some of those big MSU receivers might be entering the portal.

Yeah, after the line play, PSU really, really needs a threat at WR. Washington is a good possession receiver but not really a game breaker. A Jahan Dotson would do wonders for this offense.

ADVERTISEMENT