262.5​
6​
4​

Penn State has 9 wrestlers
Arizona State has 7 wrestlers
NC State has 10 wrestlers
Michigan has 9 wrestlers
Iowa has 10 wrestlers

Winners of QF matches get 6 placement points + 1 advancement + any bonus.
Winners of SF matches get 6 placement points + 1 advancement + any bonus.
Winner of Finals get 4 placement points + any bonus.
Winners of blood round matches get 3 placement points + 0.5 advancement + any bonus.

* if PSUs five 1-2 seeded wrestlers make the finals (even without bonus) it will be very difficult for other teams to beat PSU.

PSU is favored in 6 of 6 QF matches by seeds.
ASU is favored in 4 of 5 QF matches.
NC State is favored in 4 of 4 QF matches.
Michigan is favored in 4 of 7 QF matches.
Iowa is favored in 2 of 6 QF matches.

125:
PSU: #16 Hildebrandt vs #15 Teske UNI
ASU: #4 Courtney, ASU vs #5 Cardinale, WVU (QF)
UM: #1 Suriano, MICH vs #24 Latona, VT (QF)
Iowa: #13 Drake Ayala, IOWA vs #14 Jakob Camacho, NCST

133:
PSU: #1 RBY vs #25 Courtney, UVA (QF)
ASU: #3 McGee, ASU vs #6 Ragusin, MICH (QF)
Iowa: #5 DeSanto, Iowa vs #4 Myers, VT (QF)

141:
PSU: #1 Lee vs #8 Willits, ORST (QF)
ASU: None
UM: #24 Micic, MICH vs #26 Tal Shahar, NW
Iowa: #2 Jaydin Eierman, IOWA vs #17 Dylan D`Emilio, OHST (winner gets Micic Tal Shahar winner)

149:
PSU: #13 Bartlett vs #19 Yahya Thomas, NW
ASU: #5 Parco, ASU vs #4 Sasso, OSU (QF)
UM: None
Iowa: #8 Murin, IOWA vs #1 Diakomihalis, COR (QF)
NCS: #2 Wilson, NCST vs #10 Ridge Lovett, NEB (QF)

157:
PSU: #16 Berge vs #15 Johnny Lovett, CMU
ASU: #3 Teemer, ASU vs #6 Franek, NDSU (QF)
UM: #8 Lewan, MICH vs #17 Willits, ORST (QF)
NCS: #4 Ed Scott, NCST vs #5 Quincy Monday, PRIN (QF)
Iowa: #9 Kaleb Young, IOWA vs #23 Markus Hartman, ARMY

165:
PSU: None
ASU: #18 Anthony Valencia, ASU vs (11) Izzak Olejnik, NIU
UM: #6 Amine, MICH vs #3 Marinelli, IOWA (QF)

174:
PSU #1 CStar vs #9 Labriola, NEB (QF)
UM: #3 Massa, MICH vs #6 Plott, OKST (QF)
NCS: #4 Hidlay, NCST vs #5 Kemerer, IOWA (QF)

184:
PSU: #2 Brooks vs #7 Romero, OHST (QF)
UM: #1 Amine, MICH vs #9 Braunagel, ILL (QF)
NCS: #3 Trent Hidlay, NCST vs #6 Trey Munoz, ORST (QF)
Iowa: #18 Abe Assad, IOWA vs #16 Dakota Geer, OKST

197:
PSU: #1 Dean vs #8 Deprez, BING (QF)
ASU: #16 Kordell Norfleet, ASU vs #18 Luke Stout, PRIN
UM: #4 Brucki vs #19 Jacob Cardenas, COR
Iowa: #6 Warner, IOWA vs #3 Eric Schultz, NEB (QF)
NCS: #15 Isaac Trumble, NCST vs #17 Jay Aiello, UVA

285:
PSU: #4 Kerkvliet vs #12 Lance, NEB (QF)
ASU: #2 Schultz, ASU vs #7 Parris, MICH (QF)
Iowa: #3 Cassioppi, IOWA vs #6 Wood, LEH (QF)
NCS: #21 Tyrie Houghton, NCST vs #11 Gary Traub, ORST

Last edited:
Iowa is favored in 3 match ups and 2 are toss ups. Murin is the only true underdog.

Edit: I noticed you put by seed. My bad.

Consolation Matchups:
125:
#16 Hildebrandt vs #15 Teske, if wins:
vs #7 Mastrogiovanni, OKST vs #8 McKee, MINN winner, if wins
vs #5 Killian Cardinale, WVU vs #4 Brandon Courtney, ASU QF loser in blood round

149:
#13 Bartlett vs #19 Yahya, if win:
vs #27 Crooks, ORST vs #21 Robinson, CSU winner, if wins
vs #10 Ridge Lovett, NEB vs #2 Tariq Wilson, NCST QF loser in blood round

157:
#16 Berge vs #15 Lovett, CMU, if wins:
vs #10 Robb, NEB vs #24 Doug Zapf, PENN winner, if wins
vs #4 Ed Scott, NCST vs #5 Quincy Monday, PRIN QF loser in blood round

Iowa is favored in 3 match ups and 2 are toss ups. Murin is the only true underdog.

Edit: I noticed you put by seed. My bad.

Maybe next year JM (probably not).
maybe-next-year-saturday-night-live.gif

We all know what EvilSpin wants more than anything. They're hoping the team score is close, so they could end at 184 with Brooks and Amine. Aaron and Myles have their work cut out to get to the finals.

Reactions: Creek Side
What is the rationale behind finals winners only earning 4 advancement points? You would think winning the national championship would be worth more than winning a QF or SF not less.

Reactions: Shot of Espresso
One of the things I swore I'd never do when getting into sports journalism is become one of the writers that looks down on fans for reacting emotionally (within reason) regarding the teams they support. First and foremost before becoming a writer, I was/am a fan of the sport. Finding that balance between professionalism and not being bitter or dismissive of fans is something I really believe is important.

What is the rationale behind finals winners only earning 4 advancement points? You would think winning the national championship would be worth more than winning a QF or SF not less.
it's less about upside and more about limiting downside. When you win a QF you ensure you're an All-American at worst and when you win a SF you're ensuring you can finish not worse than second compared sixth.

One of the things I swore I'd never do when getting into sports journalism is become one of the writers that looks down on fans for reacting emotionally (within reason) regarding the teams they support. First and foremost before becoming a writer, I was/am a fan of the sport. Finding that balance between professionalism and not being bitter or dismissive of fans is something I really believe is important.
It’s all good, man. Posting something a bit over the top in the heat of the moment just means you’re human. As are we all.

WE ARE!

If you win QF you are guaranteed 6th place (and an All American) so you get the 6 placement points for 6th place. Win your SF match you can get 6 more placements points for guaranteed 2nd place (12 points for 2nd). And if you win finals you get the additional 4 points for first (16 points).

Placement Points​

• 1st place: 16 points
  • 2nd place: 12 points
  • 3rd place: 10 points
  • 4th place: 9 points
  • 5th place: 7 points
  • 6th place: 6 points
  • 7th place: 4 points
  • 8th place: 3 points

Advancement Points​

• Each advancement in championship bracket: 1 point (you do not get an advance point if you win finals)
  • Each advancement in consolation bracket: 0.5 point

Bonus Points​

• Each fall, forfeit, default, disqualification: 2 points
  • Each tech fall (w/ near fall points): 1.5 points
  • Each tech fall (w/o near fall points): 1 point
  • Each major decision: 1 point

Reactions: nitlion6 and Doak
Anybody have insight on Willets (Nick Lee's next opponent). The brother of the Berge/Carr slayer (or staller). Beyond what I know. I saw him wrestles Real Woods in the Pac final. Woods handled him. But he's very funky and apparently has pinned Woods twice. I'll go out on a limb and say Nick is 4 years beyond getting caught.

it's less about upside and more about limiting downside. When you win a QF you ensure you're an All-American at worst and when you win a SF you're ensuring you can finish not worse than second compared sixth.
Except they have already added points for advancing to be 2nd place. The addition of 4 makes sense when you consider the placing points, not a singular match.

Nick wrestled him earlier in the year and tweaked his knee. Won 11-4.

I think he has good bonus potential today if he wrestles a smart match against Willits.

4 points is the placement difference between 1st and 2nd. 12 placement points will have already been awarded in QF and SF (6 + 6) and recognized in the team score. 16 placement points total for finishing in 1st (vs 12 for 2nd). No advancement points are awarded in placement bouts (1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th). Tis tournament scoring.

Reactions: nitlion6
Nick wrestled him earlier in the year and tweaked his knee. Won 11-4.

I think he has good bonus potential today if he wrestles a smart match against Willits.
Ah, thanks. Didn't see that match, and didn't realize they'd wrestled.

Here is today's schedule:

Friday
11 a.m. Session 3- Eight Mat Configuration
  • Quarterfinals on middle four mats; Wrestle-Back Second and Third Rounds on outside mats
8 p.m. Session 4- Six Mat "Dog Bone" Configuration
  • Semifinals on inside two mats (one weight at a time) and Wrestle-back Fourth Round on outside four mats. Followed by Wrestle-Back fifth rounds on all six mats.

Friday morning:
If PSU goes 6 for 6 in QF we would add another 42 points + bonus
If we go 6 for 6 (2 rounds this morning) in consolations we can add 6 points + bonus

Friday evening:
If PSU goes 6 for 6 in QF we will add another 42 points + bonus
Consolations have way to many variables to list but this includes the blood round tonight and potential placement points.

I think "best case" for PSU in Championship bracket is 6 or 6 this morning and 5 for 6 tonight which will add 77 more points + any bonus points.

I'll be watching Michigan today. It is possible they win 6 of 7 QF matches and stay right with PSU going into tonight, especially if we lose one or two QF matches.

Last edited:
Reactions: Creek Side
What are the odds Eierman wrestles his backdraw matches? It's pretty clear he is pretty severely injured and didn't look right at all against Clarke, which is sad for him (11 years of college down the drain...). He's looking at 6 matches to get to third including potentially D'Emilio, Micic, and Red just to get through the blood round. I'd be kind of shocked if he didn't MFF out this morning.

What are the odds Eierman wrestles his backdraw matches? It's pretty clear he is pretty severely injured and didn't look right at all against Clarke, which is sad for him (11 years of college down the drain...). He's looking at 6 matches to get to third including potentially D'Emilio, Micic, and Red just to get through the blood round. I'd be kind of shocked if he didn't MFF out this morning.
He'll have that Doctorate to fall back on.

Anybody have insight on Willets (Nick Lee's next opponent). The brother of the Berge/Carr slayer (or staller). Beyond what I know. I saw him wrestles Real Woods in the Pac final. Woods handled him. But he's very funky and apparently has pinned Woods twice. I'll go out on a limb and say Nick is 4 years beyond getting caught.
We’ll be rooting for the slayer to take out Lewan this morning… so be kind to him for now!

It’s all good, man. Posting something a bit over the top in the heat of the moment just means you’re human. As are we all.

WE ARE!
I’m pretty sure you’re not fully a member of the board until you have a Chicken Little moment in March.
In somewhat related fashion, if the rest of the tournament goes chalk (which we know it won’t) without accounting for bonus points, I have the good guys beating Meatchicken by 25 points.

Reactions: mcpat
No weight classes went chalk yesterday, although 184 was very close with the 9-seed overtaking the 8-seed in the quarters.

Reactions: dsites52
ADVERTISEMENT