ADVERTISEMENT

Temple taking "next step" unveils plans for a 35k seat Owln campus stadium

So the Eagles are kicking Temple out by giving them a crazy exorbitant rate. Wonder if Temple checked into the Chester soccer field and renting that. I see no way that Temple football is going to be able to raise via private donation $150+ million for a football stadium.

What do the Stillers charge pitt?

Serious question: What would pitt do if the Stillers priced them out of Heinz Field?

Serious question: What would pitt do if the Stillers priced them out of Heinz Field?
If the Stillers priced pitt out of Heinz Field, pitt would simply move their games to a local high school stadium and still not fill it. No problem at all.

Reactions: Ski
I have been to Pere Lachase cemetery in Paris. It is one of highest honor cemetery to be buried in Paris and France. Visited Jim Morrisons grave there ... Chopin and many other high ranking officials are buried there.
Drank a toast to Jim there with some fellow backpackers

Reactions: bwifan
That's incorrect.

The playground is owned by the city, and is across the street from the proposed stadium.

The only track in question does not exist
my bad.
The area between 15th & 16th: 400' wide x 620' long..

Temple_Stadium-page-001.jpg

Last edited:
I suspect that most of those who have expressed concern about the location haven't been to that area in a long time.

I always thought that Temple should work something out with Penn and play at Franklin Field.

Reactions: Ski and step.eng69
If the Stillers priced pitt out of Heinz Field, pitt would simply move their games to a local high school stadium and still not fill it. No problem at all.

I am curious what pitt pays to play at Heinz Field.

pitt did play a spring game at a high-school field at least once. That's about as exciting as their regular-season games when they play anyone other than Penn State.

Good for Temple. They are not a threat to PSU in anyway and I wish them success. The Eagles want them out so this is something they pretty much have to do, and instead of paying rent to the eagles they will just put that money toward the mortgage on the stadium. It will be great for the students and college football overall in Philly.

I suspect that most of those who have expressed concern about the location haven't been to that area in a long time.

I always thought that Temple should work something out with Penn and play at Franklin Field.

I've been working in the Philly area off and on for the past 15 years. Most of Verizon's cellular sites we get are in the depressed areas, typical of Fontain st in the second photo. Gangs hanging at corners are always a treat walking to the sites. Entrepreneurs are buying existing units of the rundown townhouses and either razing the unit or refurbishing the units and convert ing into apartment housing.

The view to the right of surveyor "Joe" are the lights of the playground about 600' distance. The playground is adjacent to the proposed stadium location. I'm taking the picture from the intersection of 17th & Diamond.
P5040080.jpg

To the right is Fontain & 16th street, about 300' north of the playground
P5040066.jpg

The wide building in the foreground is across 16th, The stadium's location
is on the other side of the building.
P5040059.jpg

Here are a few row houses along Diamond being refurbished for student living.
P5040081.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: The Shelter
If they can build it for that amount they should do it. It’s not much more than Pegula cost. It will give the students and alums an intimate fun venue for football to be played at their level. While it locks them into a small program status going forward, it might be “right sized” for whatever Temple football was ever going to be. But this way they can play before a sell out crowd instead of rattling around in the Linc.

Maybe that’s the approach that PSU should have taken with it’s basketball arena - a 7500 seat intimate gym to replace Rec Hall rather then a 16,000 seat morgue.

Well, The jordan center is not a basketball arena. It's a multi-purpose arena and basketball is one of the events held there. That is why it stinks as a basketball venue.

At first, $135m seemed very low to me, but after seeing a few renderings it looks like a stadium that would fit the price tag... (Serious) All brick.... "Since the board's initial resolution, core elements of the research and development process have included collaborating with community members and government officials to address local residents' concerns, such as noise, parking, traffic and trash."

Temple Football: Keep down the noise, Parking?, Traffic, and trash. - Sounds about right.

I'm not sure why, and I don't even know if the movie is set in Philly... but whenever I think of Temple football, I imagine them practicing on a field like the one in "wildcats" the 1980s flick with Wesley Snipes and Woody Harrelson. Anyone ever see that?

I caught parts of it on tv the other day, and hadn't seen it since I was a little kid. It's ridiculous and gets slammed by critics; but the older I get the more I appreciate the BAD films of the 80s and 90s. SO many racial issues ... could you imagine if they made something like this now?

I mean check out these cheerleader highlights from the film.. Arguably the best cheerleaders in any movie ever. (Serious)

Anyways... didn't mean to get off track... back to the future of Temple Football, coming to you live from North Philadelphia. That's Owl they've got.

stadium_sky_view_low.jpg

Penn State will never play in this stadium. PSU@Temple will continue to be played at the Linc... or dynamic ticket pricing will make the PSU game a very big number at this 35K seat stadium.

C'mon man. It's north Philly. Building anything new will be a huge improvement!! Worked in these neighborhoods in a previous career. There is a huge parking garage they use for events in the bball arena which would be close by. If they need more parking just knock down all the abandoned crack house around there and pave them over. I know that city was redesigning some of the neighborhoods around there to be more like suburban developments instead of row house after row house to reduce density. A football stadium on Temples campus would be a HUUUUUUGGGGGGEEEE improvement.

I’ve never been to a Temple game at their basketball arena, but is parking an issue there? I would think that with the new proposed facility’s proximity to the Broad Street SEPTA line that there wouldn’t be too many parking issues beyond what you see for a Temple basketball game, even with ~20,000 more seats.

Good for Temple. They are not a threat to PSU in anyway and I wish them success.

So you don't see this as the start of a FOOTBALL. ARMS. RACE. :eek: in Pennsylvania? temple is building a new stadium. Sandy floated the idea of replacing Beaver Stadium with a new facility. Is temple putting immense pressure on Sandy to spend billions upon billions of dollars for a new stadium? :eek:

:eek:

don't see how they will pay for it without raising tuition on the students. temple football is not cash positive to the point of making any real profit. doubt what the football team makes all in would even cover the debt service on a stadium that size. and you know that $135 million will be $200 plus million by the time it is done as the construction costs in Philly are pretty outrageous and all stadiums typically are grossly overbudget as pork politics play a huge role.
Well, you need to offset the cost with what the school pays to play at The Linc and associated costs of playing there. If you do a financial analysis, you need to look at it in terms of incremental costs / savings. That's what matters.

Reactions: step.eng69
So the Eagles are kicking Temple out by giving them a crazy exorbitant rate. Wonder if Temple checked into the Chester soccer field and renting that. I see no way that Temple football is going to be able to raise via private donation $150+ million for a football stadium.

What part of we already have do you not get?

Penn State will never play in this stadium. PSU@Temple will continue to be played at the Linc... or dynamic ticket pricing will make the PSU game a very big number at this 35K seat stadium.

Why would Temple agree to that? The new stadium would give them a real home field advantage. Why would Temple give that up just to accommodate Penn State fans?

Why would Temple agree to that? The new stadium would give them a real home field advantage. Why would Temple give that up just to accommodate Penn State fans?
It has nothing to do with accommodating Penn State fans. Temple can hold their home games wherever they want. The issue would be if Temple would want to pay in a larger venue to make more money knowing visiting fans would help fill the place. Or would they jack up ticket prices in a smaller venue to try to make more money? I personally think college games should be played on campus but the Temple AD would need to do an analysis to see what works best for Temple.

Last edited:

the pitt lair approves these messages

It has nothing to do with accommodating Penn State fans. Temple can hold their home games wherever they want. The issue would be if Temple would want to pay in a larger venue to make more money knowing visiting fans would help fill the place. Or would they jack up ticket prices in a smaller venue to try to make more money? I personally think college games should be played on campus but the Temple AD would need to do an analysis to see what works best for Temple.
As far as I can tell, the next available Penn State OOC away game is in 2026. My guess is that the only way that Temple is selected for that is if it is in a larger venue than this on-campus facility. But I could be wrong.

Reactions: step.eng69
As far as I can tell, the next available Penn State OOC away game is in 2026. My guess is that the only way that Temple is selected for that is if it is in a larger venue than this on-campus facility. But I could be wrong.

I don’t believe I’ll be making that game in 2026, I have other plans. I’ll probably be chasing JoePa around for his autograph.

th

Reactions: Limestone_Lion
I like it and a 35-40k stadium would be perfect. This could sell Temple football and you can always build up

This would be great for Temple and great for college football fans in Philly. I could hop on the train and get down to that stadium in 20 minutes. Would be cool to have the opportunity to see them play Navy, Houston, etc. at an actual college stadium.

Reactions: NittPicker
This would be great for Temple and great for college football fans in Philly. I could hop on the train and get down to that stadium in 20 minutes. Would be cool to have the opportunity to see them play Navy, Houston, etc. at an actual college stadium.
For a college program to be successful it needs to create an identity for itself. For that to happen, playing on campus in your own stadium is almost a necessity. Good for Temple in making an effort. It would be easy to pitch themselves to recruits by selling the fact they play in an NFL stadium but there's no identity in that. Pitt does it by trying to attach themselves to the Steelers but it doesn't work.

Not about PSU. It's $$ for their athletic budget. 69K tickets (at probably a higher price) is double the revenue.

Not about PSU. It's $$ for their athletic budget. 69K tickets (at probably a higher price) is double the revenue.

I think the plan would be to play ND, PSU, etc. at the Linc and everything else on campus. Interestingly, our contract with Oklahoma apparently gives us the option to play on campus.

They would try to tax the drug dealers in Oakland to fund an on-campus stadium.
Great idea. If they could tax the drug dealers in Oakland there would be so much money that a new stadium could be paid for and all the pitt students could have free tuition.

Reactions: nittany dave
I too expect to be gone by then but I don't think that I'll make the cut for The Good Place

now, now, have a little confidence.

and while I expect to still be around in 2026, if you need someone to put in a good word for you, just ask, and I'll see what I can do. you've provided many of us with quite a few laughs over the years. That's got to count for something. ;)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT