ADVERTISEMENT

Terrell Barraclough Named Initial Starter at 157

CSauertiegPSU

Staff
Oct 9, 2013
While many wondered if Levi Haines would start as a true freshman, it appears Terrell Barraclough will get the first shot at 157.

Penn State listed Barraclough as the only option at the weight in its match notes against Lock Haven. Cael Sanderson gave the junior some high praise yesterday at media day.

Elsewhere, Alex Facundo OR Joe Lee are listed at 165 and it’s Gary Steen OR transfer Tim Levine at 125

Joe Lee is an enigma, his redshirting year, he showed all the signs of a future PSU stud. He had issues on bottom but he was aggressive and dominated some good wrestlers.

Then he pinned Zach Hartman in 20 seconds at NLWC. Then after the COVID layoff, he looks sluggish, blows out his knee and then looked like he forgot how to wrestle. Went 157 last year and that experiment seemed doom to fail from the beginning.

Rooting for the kid always.

RBY in from the get go, it looks like. That’s some news I wasn’t sure if we’d see him before January
It's a great sign. I mean hell, if you're gonna come back, why not wrestle! I'm sure he loves wrestling at home as well.

Joe Lee is an enigma, his redshirting year, he showed all the signs of a future PSU stud. He had issues on bottom but he was aggressive and dominated some good wrestlers.

Then he pinned Zach Hartman in 20 seconds at NLWC. Then after the COVID layoff, he looks sluggish, blows out his knee and then looked like he forgot how to wrestle. Went 157 last year and that experiment seemed doom to fail from the beginning.

Rooting for the kid always.

At this point, one has to wonder if his RS year was an outlier and if the real Joe Lee is what we've seen since. Hope not.

Steen vs Noto and Bearclaw vs Eyler will give us an early gauge on where we stand at 125 and 157.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ski and Str8DBLz
Having worked in the rehab therapy field for a while now, I can attest that some guys who come off that kind of surgery are subconsciously petrified to re-injure their knee. Joe very well could be another one of those people. Some part of him, deeper in his consciousness, could be holding him back just a little bit in regards to letting it fly in his matches like he use to

Reactions: mcpat
Another interesting thing about match notes is it seems all our hammers are listed as the only starter. I know there were talks RBY would wait until spring, some guys might sit out, Brooks allegedly considering redshirting but none of the "OR" were at their weights. Doesn't mean it can't change but thought that was interesting to note.

Reactions: ccdiver and mcpat
Another interesting thing about match notes is it seems all our hammers are listed as the only starter. I know there were talks RBY would wait until spring, some guys might sit out, Brooks allegedly considering redshirting but none of the "OR" were at their weights. Doesn't mean it can't change but thought that was interesting to note.
In the press conference, Cael said he expected Roman to wrestle "a handful" of matches this year, sitting out the rest, FWIW. He did say that Roman is enrolled in school right now (duh), so the spring semester theory is out.

Reactions: hlstone
Free the Le'vi

I enjoy the Claw, but with Howard out and Sealy in the hopper a redshirt for Levi makes much less sense than it did a week ago. It's only a matter of time.
giphy.gif

• Love
While many wondered if Levi Haines would start as a true freshman, it appears Terrell Barraclough will get the first shot at 157.

Penn State listed Barraclough as the only option at the weight in its match notes against Lock Haven. Cael Sanderson gave the junior some high praise yesterday at media day.

Elsewhere, Alex Facundo OR Joe Lee are listed at 165 and it’s Gary Steen OR transfer Tim Levine at 125
Pitch counts will be in play this year for many wrestlers as there could be 20 guys who participate in duals this year. Even the studs will not wrestle a full schedule. The backups will get plenty of action which is great to see.

Reactions: Ski
Doesn't the 1st semester for a freshman have to end before Levi can wrestle or am I confused on the new rules?

Doesn't the 1st semester for a freshman have to end before Levi can wrestle or am I confused on the new rules?
You are confused. He can't wrestle unattached in the 1st semester. Don't ask me why because it makes no sense to me either. I expect we will see Levi wrestling attached at the Black Knight Invitational at Army. Could get up to 6 matches and it would still only count as 1 competition date and he can have up to 5 competition dates and still redshirt.

You are confused. He can't wrestle unattached in the 1st semester. Don't ask me why because it makes no sense to me either. I expect we will see Levi wrestling attached at the Black Knight Invitational at Army. Could get up to 6 matches and it would still only count as 1 competition date and he can have up to 5 competition dates and still redshirt.
I understand that; I was responding to why he was wrestling against Lock Haven. Was my understanding of the rules correct with respect to this dual?

I understand that; I was responding to why he was wrestling against Lock Haven. Was my understanding of the rules correct with respect to this dual?
Not sure I understand your question because he is NOT wrestling against LHU. He could, but it would count as one of his 5 attached competition dates.

Glad to see Barraclough get another shot. I think it’s usually preferable to start with a plan to redshirt true freshman and see how things develop. I also like to see the guys that weren’t top 15 recruits get a chance.

My question was probably confusing. I was asking that under the new rules, I thought freshman could not wrestle attached until the end of their first semester. So my question was isn't this the reason Levi could not wrestle the dual meet with Lock Haven? If true, won't this be the reason we don't see him wrestle in a dual meet until after his first semester ends in mid December?

My question was probably confusing. I was asking that under the new rules, I thought freshman could not wrestle attached until the end of their first semester. So my question was isn't this the reason Levi could not wrestle the dual meet with Lock Haven? If true, won't this be the reason we don't see him wrestle in a dual meet until after his first semester ends in mid December?
I’m no expert, but I think they can’t wrestle unattached till 2nd semester. I think they can wrestle attached up to 5 times on the season (1st and/or 2nd semester combined) without burning a redshirt.

I think Levi could wrestle on Friday; they simply are going with Barraclough.

I’m no expert, but I think they can’t wrestle unattached till 2nd semester. I think they can wrestle attached up to 5 times on the season (1st and/or 2nd semester combined) without burning a redshirt.

I think Levi could wrestle on Friday; they simply are going with Barraclough.
Exactly.

Reactions: mcpat
I believe you’ve described it accurately. Levi could not have wrestled vs LHU and retained the redshirt. However, had they decided he was gonna wrestle this year already, of course then we could have wrestled in week 1.

Reactions: ccdiver
I believe you’ve described it accurately. Levi could not have wrestled vs LHU and retained the redshirt. However, had they decided he was gonna wrestle this year already, of course then we could have wrestled in week 1.
Uh-oh. Here come the correction crew.

• Haha
NO, that is incorrect. He could wrestle against LHU and retain his redshirt. Not sure why this is so confusing to people. He CANNOT wrestle unattached in the first semester but CAN wrestle attached in up to 5 competition dates in either semester and retain his redshirt.

NO, that is incorrect. He could wrestle against LHU and retain his redshirt. Not sure why this is so confusing to people. He CANNOT wrestle unattached in the first semester but CAN wrestle attached in up to 5 competition dates in either semester and retain his redshirt.
Easy on the condescension, buddy. It’s the exact opposite as it was previously when guys could wrestle unattached right away. It’s counterintuitive, that’s why it’s odd.

Reactions: ccdiver
Easy on the condescension, buddy. It’s the exact opposite as it was previously when guys could wrestle unattached right away. It’s counterintuitive, that’s why it’s odd.
Sorry if you took it that way, I was merely pointing out the actual rules,. I guess in the future I should not bother doing that. I would have thought you would have thanked me for making the actual rule clear but apparently not since I am condescending.

Reactions: baccafarmer
My daughter (last year law student) ran into RBY when she was jogging on campus. She recognized him and asked if she could get picture of him and send it to me. He was very nice and seemed excited for the season to start. Maybe that was confirming that he was competing all season.???

My daughter (last year law student) ran into RBY when she was jogging on campus. She recognized him and asked if she could get picture of him and send it to me. He was very nice and seemed excited for the season to start. Maybe that was confirming that he was competing all season.???
My guess would be he will have a somewhat limited schedule and he’ll pick his spots. Maybe opening weekend is a very exciting time and it’s one of his spots. Anyway, I’m gonna just enjoy every chance we get to see this amazing, unique athlete in his final season! We truly are spoiled as PSU fans! 😃

We Are!!!

My guess would be he will have a somewhat limited schedule and he’ll pick his spots. Maybe opening weekend is a very exciting time and it’s one of his spots. Anyway, I’m gonna just enjoy every chance we get to see this amazing, unique athlete in his final season! We truly are spoiled as PSU fans! 😃

We Are!!!
Why would RBY, or any of the NCAA champions at PSU *not* wrestle a full schedule?

I suspect the Claw has been working really hard, has improved, and Cael thinks he is deserving of the start as a reward of sorts. I will be shocked if Levi is not our starter well before bigs. Full stop

Reactions: nitlion6
Barraclough did compete last year with some good 157s:
Will Lewan
Kaleb Young
Chase Saldate
Peyton Robb

He was close to converting 2 on Robb at the end also to win and Robb was 4th last year. That being said, obviously being able to beat those guys (and multiple of them) in one tournament is way different than wrestling them close in duals.

ADVERTISEMENT