ADVERTISEMENT

Terrell Barraclough Named Initial Starter at 157

Last year, four different wrestlers competed at 157 for PSU before January - Joey Blumer, Barraclough, Joe Lee, and Tony Negron. The guy who got the postseason spot was still a volunteer assistant coach at SDSU at this point.

The only thing we know for sure about the 157 spot is that none of us know anything.

Last year, four different wrestlers competed at 157 for PSU before January - Joey Blumer, Barraclough, Joe Lee, and Tony Negron. The guy who got the postseason spot was still a volunteer assistant coach at SDSU at this point.

The only thing we know for sure about the 157 spot is that none of us know anything.
Last season, we didn't have a freshman stud who was on pace to major a Top 20 guy (Andrew Cerniglia) his first college tournament (as a high school senior) before he got formal coaching from Casey. The answer is pretty simple, if the goal is points at 157, our best shot is Levi Haines.

I suspect the Claw has been working really hard, has improved, and Cael thinks he is deserving of the start as a reward of sorts.
I don't think Coach Cael hands out starting jobs as rewards for hard work and improvement.
My guess is that Coach thinks he is the most capable guy this weekend. Perhaps that will change by January.
Pump the breaks on Levi. He had some good showings in the last year to some decent college kids. He also lost to some decent High School kids in the past year.

IF RBY wrestles every dual and B1G's (3) and NCAA's (5) he will wrestle 24 matches. I doubt he or many starters wrestle in the Black Knight so 24 matches could be considered a limited schedule.

Last season, we didn't have a freshman stud who was on pace to major a Top 20 guy (Andrew Cerniglia) his first college tournament (as a high school senior) before he got formal coaching from Casey. The answer is pretty simple, if the goal is points at 157, our best shot is Levi Haines.
Sure, all of that is true, from our perspective (which I'd argue is pretty limited). And I'm not trying to be argumentative.

If I'm putting on my "coach's thinking analyst" hat, I'd say that if it were all that cut and dry, we'd probably see him listed at least as a possibility against LHU. Seems like there is some level of desire to preserve Haines' redshirt (or at least not burn through his 5 allowed matches before B1G matches even start).

Much of this early season analysis and prognostication makes me think about Cael's infamous "You got a plan?" comment. A lot of people seem to think it shows Cael as intimidating (which I'm sure he is, of course), but I think it shows Cael as letting Pyles and all the rest of us know that we don't really have any idea what the f*ck we're talking about.

Last edited:
I don't think Coach Cael hands out starting jobs as rewards for hard work and improvement.
My guess is that Coach thinks he is the most capable guy this weekend. Perhaps that will change by January.
Pump the breaks on Levi. He had some good showings in the last year to some decent college kids. He also lost to some decent High School kids in the past year.
Loop City GIF

Full steam ahead on the Levi Hype Train!!!
ALL ABOARD!!!

Nonsense

A good counterpoint to this: Mark Hall.

I’m guessing Cael thought (knew?) Mark was the best 174 on the team well before he trotted him out there at CHA.

Reactions: mcpat
On one of his interviews (maybe the GoPSU podcast?) RBY said he’s coming back because wrestling is fun and he wants to wrestle. He said he may take matches off, but the timing may be more about when his family can watch him than any specific team or matchup.

I’m guessing Cael thought (knew?) Mark was the best 174 on the team well before he trotted him out there at CHA.
Yep.

And I’m pretty sure Zain was our best option when he redshirted his 2nd year.

And several other examples.

There is separation between Levi and Bearclaw, the guy starting 157 is not the superior wrestler. However, it isn't like Cael doesn't have a plan.

Reactions: NittanyChris
Plus he “put it on” Paddy last year…

Plus he “put it on” Paddy last year…
The score against Paddy was pretty misleading actually. If anything, it was Levi's worst match last year since it was the only match he wrestled that he was threatened in and Paddy tbh if you take away his HS resume is an average at best college wrestler. Paddy was up 3-2 and Levi got a takedown and turk to win 8-3. That being said, Paddy was edge wrestling that entire match.

Every case is unique. Usually when Cael wrestles a true freshman, he thinks they are needed in a team race since redshirting is almost always the best course of action. I believe he wanted to wrestle Facundo last year but through the Scuffle, Facundo didn't show he was anything more than a NQ at best.

That being said, I think it was mentioned that he didn't think RBY was needed (we were significantly ahead in 2019) but thought wrestling would help RBY develop good habits. If Bartlett, Van Ness, Facundo look like point scorers (would be shocked if they don't) in the fall, I can see him keeping Levi in redshirt.

It goes without saying but Levi himself would like to go (talking to people who know him), he skipped senior year for a reason.

Reactions: nitlion6
There are always some wrestlers who do not want to redshirt, they want to use their 4 years of eligibility and get out of college. I think that was RBY's plan, then the opportunity to use the "free" year of eligibility fell into his lap and plans changed.

With 157, the question is, who is starting in January, not November.

I know but the whole “put it on him” has turned into a bit on here the past couple years. It was closer than the final score but I think it was a huge win. Paddy was a top 3 overall recruit and had time in tOSU room while Levi was in hs obviously. Outside of PSU fans I doubt most saw him winning that match. I was in the redshirt Levi camp in the offseason just because I feel like he has potential 4 timer talent if he took a redshirt this year. Yes, yes I know…absolutely a ton to put on a kid and crazy to even think about being a 4timer before he’s ever wrestled a single college match. I just think he is that talented and with the track record of top PSU kids I think he follows in their footsteps. However, with the commitment of Sealy I now think he definitely should go this year. It will help alleviate a logjam in the upcoming years and I feel like he is an AA if he does go this year. The points probably won’t be needed for a team title but it sure would be nice to beat the field by a huge margin.

Look guys. Iowa is a little closer than we are giving credit especially after Robbie's injury.

Admit it, right now we also have a slight logjam with the Sealy commit especially 'if' Levi shirts.

One unforseen injury anywhere in our lineup and it could be neck and neck with the hawks. Granted, I believe nearly every prognosticator is underselling our new young studs ( Levi, Facundo & SVN) in terms of place/points at nationals.

Unless Levi actually wants to shirt, in search of being a 4xer or some lofty goal like that, his shirt will absolutely be pulled this year. Book it.

Until then lets enjoy the Claw, he deserves the spotlight in some duals and I am looking forward to his growth. Anyone confusing that with top 10 P4P like blue chip talent is a glass completely full kind of person. Good on you.

Look guys. Iowa is a little closer than we are giving credit especially after Robbie's injury.

Admit it, right now we also have a slight logjam with the Sealy commit especially 'if' Levi shirts.

One unforseen injury anywhere in our lineup and it could be neck and neck with the hawks. Granted, I believe nearly every prognosticator is underselling our new young studs ( Levi, Facundo & SVN) in terms of place/points at nationals.

Unless Levi actually wants to shirt, in search of being a 4xer or some lofty goal like that, his shirt will absolutely be pulled this year. Book it.

Until then lets enjoy the Claw, he deserves the spotlight in some duals and I am looking forward to his growth. Anyone confusing that with top 10 P4P like blue chip talent is a glass completely full kind of person. Good on you.
Iowa does have a better tournament team than many are giving credit for. Injuries are always a factor in this sport sure but I'm not sure if Robbie's injury moves the needle. I'm not sure many people had Robbie for many points this year after his layoff and how he looked in free (ending with a bad injury) Also, I don't think Robbie's points were part of the cushion we had on Iowa.

Although IMO history shows Iowa won't have the tournament Willie projected them for.

It goes without saying but Levi himself would like to go (talking to people who know him), he skipped senior year for a reason.

This is important. The only reason Mark Hall wrestled his freshman year is because he "Wanted to and won the wrestleoff with Geno".

If Levi wants to wrestle, he will be starting by January. My guess is no later than December 19th. It could be as early as Sunday December 4th.

This is important. The only reason Mark Hall wrestled his freshman year is because he "Wanted to and won the wrestleoff with Geno".

If Levi wants to wrestle, he will be starting by January. My guess is no later than December 19th. It could be as early as Sunday December 4th.
I remember quite clearly Mark saying ....either after BIGs or Nationals that on numerous occasions he was begging his father to let him get out of redshirt and wrestle. His father kept saying no. After the Southern Scuffle that Mark won convincingly.....he pleaded with his father and his father finally said yes. These are basically Mark's words. I'm certain that Cael had no issues with it :) It turned out pretty darn well

Reactions: hlstone
I remember quite clearly Mark saying ....either after BIGs or Nationals that on numerous occasions he was begging his father to let him get out of redshirt and wrestle. His father kept saying no. After the Southern Scuffle that Mark won convincingly.....he pleaded with his father and his father finally said yes. These are basically Mark's words. I'm certain that Cael had no issues with it :) It turned out pretty darn well
Cael disagreed with the decision, but he had promised the kid if he wanted to give it a go it would be allowed. Mark beat Geno in a very close wrestleoff, Mark got Carvered then won a national title.

Mark wrestling that year was not part of Cael's plan. Of course if he hadn't we would have missed out on the first 5 champion night.

Cael disagreed with the decision, but he had promised the kid if he wanted to give it a go it would be allowed. Mark beat Geno in a very close wrestleoff, Mark got Carvered then won a national title.

Mark wrestling that year was not part of Cael's plan. Of course if he hadn't we would have missed out on the first 5 champion night.
I think that Cael generally prefers to redshirt true freshmen. That said, if the kid really wants to go and he is clearly the strongest option at a given weight, he is likely to allow the kid the choice and let the kid wrestle. Of course this is pure speculation, but I think this happens with Levi. He'd prefer to redshirt him, but Levi is better than anyone in the room at 157 and Levi wants to go, having spent a year in State College already. So, Levi will go.

ADVERTISEMENT