ADVERTISEMENT

Tesla cultists still out in force.

roswelllion

Gold Member
Aug 18, 2003
I haven't followed Tesla closely for a couple years but as an ex Auto guy I followed them pretty closely for a number of years. I was smart enough or lucky enough to never short the stock. i was amazed at how Tesla was always viewed as on outlier to any other auto stock. Fueled by expected unlimited growth [and revenue] an EV craze that would take over the world and a cult like following for Elon Musk the stock has continued to defy gravity. I thought when Elon bought twitter and upset the left he might lose some of his mystique. Apparently not
I just saw their 2Q results.
On a year over year basis revenue, gross margin, operating margin, production and deliveries were all down. Hardly immune to cyclical vagaries of the auto business. However with EPS at .52 [annualized just over $2.00] the stock is valued at greater than 100 times earnings.
B-b-b-ut what about cybertruck? Didn't they have 100's of thousands of pre orders. I think they are at lees than 20,000 this full year. What about robotaxi? I still question the logic of owning such a hugely capital intensive business but even it it works do they get first mover advantage. A friend of ours sent my wife a text that they rode in a driverless taxi this weekend in San Fran. [ Waymo] they have been doing it scince 2021 in San Fran. so i wouldn't hold my breath for a national roll out any time soon.
Back to the stock Tesla equals 100, times earnings G.M 5 times earnings, Ford about 7 times earnings, Even the ICE gold standard Toyota is only around 10-11 times earnings.
The Elon mystique rolls on.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.