ADVERTISEMENT

Thank you Zain!

A true PA hammer and a super classy man. The way he handled the woman from Oky St., cursing in his face tells you alot about Zain the man.

Thank you for all the great wrestling memories in our blue and white singlet. So grateful you were able to win last year's 70 kg gold. Wanting the best for you and your family. You will always be successful with your attitude and work ethic! Thank you!

To me, Zain is the prototypical PA wrestler. Stronger than the farm animals (or fruit) you raised as a kid, tough as nails, elite technique on top, respectful and open to coaching, humble, and kind.

Love him, and so grateful for the chance to see him compete.

I’m sure he will do well in life, and have fun doing it.

My wife and I had the chance to meet his parents and family yesterday. It is said the apple doesn't fall far from the tree (or the pumpkin seed from the pumpkin.) What nice people.

Zain had a wonderful support system hoping he could pull through his injury and he will always be our USA Olympian. We wish him well whichever path he takes.

Thanks Zain, mom and dad and family.

hard to believe a full cycle of watching him is now over. Interested in more info regarding the pre-olympics concussion

Reactions: Creek Side
First of all, I really feel for Zain. Tough way for this to end after he worked so hard for this opportunity.

But I must be missing something. I saw that Zain withdrew, but no official report that he has retired. All these posts sound so final like his career is over. While that might be well advised based on his concussion/head injury history. I see no story posted anywhere. Please fill me in if I missed the announcement. Thanks!

Reactions: apoharrow
First of all, I really feel for Zain. Tough way for this to end after he worked so hard for this opportunity.

But I must be missing something. I saw that Zain withdrew, but no official report that he has retired. All these posts sound so final like his career is over. While that might be well advised based on his concussion/head injury history. I see no story posted anywhere. Please fill me in if I missed the announcement. Thanks!
There has been no announcement, but he accepted a Wall Street job and was planning to move the family before he decided to go for the Olympics.

He was allowed to defer that job for Paris. Presumably he'll do that now.

There has been no announcement, but he accepted a Wall Street job and was planning to move the family before he decided to go for the Olympics.

He was allowed to defer that job for Paris. Presumably he'll do that now.
Thanks El-Jefe..........we'll miss him. He was a warrior. Wish he could have wrestled those last matches, but good call. He has a bright future ahead, and has to think of his long term health and his family.

Reactions: AtownPoke
I have enjoyed watching your career, and as you now transition to a new stage in life, I am sure the lessons you have learned from wrestling will translate to future success.

What is most interesting is where these guys are going to land. Zain, Dake, Snyder........ Can't keep them all.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the Sanderson coach tree is going into full bloom, and it's good for wrestling in general.

IMO the best college level wrestler of the Cael era. Had he the opportunity to Redshirt as a true freshman I think he would’ve have never lost a college match.

Thanks for the memories Zain!!
IIRC he's the only wrestler since Cael to have 3 undefeated seasons.

Reactions: yakrider
IMO the best college level wrestler of the Cael era. Had he the opportunity to Redshirt as a true freshman I think he would’ve have never lost a college match.

Thanks for the memories Zain!!
He was a dual meet momentum killer for the other team. We’d be down a few points after some of the lightweights and then Zain would come out and not just tech/pin, but it would be a massacre. A tone setter

It was an absolute pleasure watching him wrestle all these years. I loved the quiet, calm gentleman off the mat and the incredible, savage beast on the mat. I still love that interview when they asked him about the bow and arrow move and, with a wry smile on his face, said something to the effect of, “Oh, it’s a painful move. No doubt.”

Thanks, Zain!!!

Reactions: yakrider
Maybe we retired him too soon. Sounds like it's an open question (procedural errors in the article notwithstanding)
Competing in this year’s Olympics means Retherford is already qualified for the team trials in 2028. And with the next Games being held in the U.S., Retherford said he is open to the possibility of competing.

When wrestlers retire, they often leave their shoes on the wrestling mat as a symbol. His shoes were not left on the mat in Paris.

He plans to stay in State College to continue training with his wrestling club, and depending on how he feels in four years, he might give the Olympics one more go.

“It’s never say never,” Retherford said. “I could maybe see myself not competing until then and putting my hat in the ring for one more Olympic cycle in 2028. Time will tell. We’ll see.”

Ill put it out there because his Dad was pretty open with the info. He will be training with NLWC and working at a different firm in State College. Apparently the morals and ethics of the last firm didn't fit with Zain's. On another note, Zain's parents are part of a group that will be opening a new monster sized wrestling club near Benton/Bloomsburg. Apparently a large portion of the near empty Columbia Mall will become a wrestling room. I would imagine that Zain will have a part in that as well.

Reactions: Psalm 1 guy
Ill put it out there because his Dad was pretty open with the info. He will be training with NLWC and working at a different firm in State College. Apparently the morals and ethics of the last firm didn't fit with Zain's. On another note, Zain's parents are part of a group that will be opening a new monster sized wrestling club near Benton/Bloomsburg. Apparently a large portion of the near empty Columbia Mall will become a wrestling room. I would imagine that Zain will have a part in that as well.
M2 - we hardly knew ye. I dub this new club B2

Shit - can you imagine a better place to plop a club down than that area? That’s like Dagestan in hunting camo

M2 - we hardly knew ye. I dub this new club B2

Shit - can you imagine a better place to plop a club down than that area? That’s like Dagestan in hunting camo

For those not from the area: Columbia Mall has its own exit on I-80. It's only an hour from Wyoming Seminary and 1:30 from Blair Academy, State College, the Lehigh Valley, and Harrisburg.

It would be hard to find a better location for a wrestling club.

For those not from the area: Columbia Mall has its own exit on I-80. It's only an hour from Wyoming Seminary and 1:30 from Blair Academy, State College, the Lehigh Valley, and Harrisburg.

It would be hard to find a better location for a wrestling club.

giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT