ADVERTISEMENT

The aftermath of the '99 Minnesota loss is being repeated with the Indiana '20 loss

Michaelion

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2001
It's eerily similar and I felt that way two weeks ago but was hesitant to say it aloud.
Minnesota '99 was a program changer and not in a good way. Remember how a talented team ranked #2, albeit late in the season, lost as time expired to a team that should have been put away multiple times during the afternoon? Sub out Minnesota for Indiana and what do you have?

Unfortunately, after that loss PSU went into a tailspin that lasted for years. Started off the next season getting blown out by USC, and embarrassed by Toledo. I totally have that same feeling now. Top area players (Smoker '00 , Kevin Jones '01, etc. ), decided to play elsewhere at programs.
The only difference is that the losses in '99, '00, '01 seemed to impact recruiting. Fast forward to present time and I think the recruiting misses (and poor coaching) are impacting the losses...kind of a classic chicken and the egg situation.

PSU is not a Tier 1 national brand when it comes to recruiting...there's only a few of those schools and it changes based on sustained success. Three marquee bowl games, double digit wins over the past 4 seasons and some nationally televised whiteout wins were Franklin's chance to get into that Tier 1 level but now he is struggling mightily with recruiting. And before anyone points to '22 recruits and the success so far, remember they aren't signed and wouldn't be realistic impact players for a few seasons. I hope I'm wrong but I think we are in for a bumpy ride.

Reactions: Mudge1026
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News