ADVERTISEMENT

The Changing landscape of College Football

Nbergbuck

Mar 31, 2004
There are over 1000 CFP's in the portal. NIL is exploding. More CFP are saving themselves for the NFL. Every day it is more minor league NFL and less about college. At what point are football players not even required to sign up for classes or is that already occurring?

Reactions: jimarnp and CltDon1
There are over 1000 CFP's in the portal. NIL is exploding. More CFP are saving themselves for the NFL. Every day it is more minor league NFL and less about college. At what point are football players not even required to sign up for classes or is that already occurring?
On the other hand, I’m hearing more and more about players that are graduating in 3 years. Academics will always been an issue in college football (there will certainly be cries of racism if there is a push to only accept football players who are academically on par with the rest of the student body), but I see no indication academics has become less of a priority that in decades past.

On the other hand, I’m hearing more and more about players that are graduating in 3 years. Academics will always been an issue in college football (there will certainly be cries of racism if there is a push to only accept football players who are academically on par with the rest of the student body), but I see no indication academics has become less of a priority that in decades past.
There are college athletes, mostly football players,making well into 6 figures, if not 7 on NIL. Somehow making to English class seems to lose importance.

Number could be 10 thousand and it doesn't change the fact that out of all those players, there are only about 50 who are truly going to change a team. Let's go get 2 wrs, a defensive lineman, and a couple other guys then go back to work. The more things change the more they stay the same.

Tense matters. Academics in college football? In most Universities, I see no change...

Don't really care about the money anymore ... let's go with it and let the players have their due. And in the process, we all need to forget about how much education, nutrition, training, growth and exposure these players get going the college route. That's their right nowadays just for breathing and going to school--I'm over it.

But ... and this is a big but ... absolutely need some kind of controls put in place. This cannot continue to become the rich keep getting richer. Especially if talks continue down the union road.

Need some sort of checks and balances soon. Otherwise, young charismatic coaches like Prime can just walk in and buy themselves a team and compete very quickly. Just perhaps, if a player sign a LOI, they need to obligated for XX amount of years to a school to help limit the poaching of the best (like say maybe USC). I'm really old school so giving your word on a commitment means something--have to forgive me on that--too old of a dog for new tricks. Perhaps they can get some longevity to these commitments via their NIL contracts?

Top tier teams should be limited in the portal. Just like a pro draft ... need to work something out soon. Again I say the 4 teams in CFP should not be able to take anyone from the portal for that next year.

Colleges, at all levels still need to make big money off of their football programs--their cash cows if you will. College football is not the only show in town or certainly, not the only programs schools need to fund with those revenues. Otherwise, a lot of the other college sports programs will fall by the wayside. Yes, college football is a money factory but its not the only show in town at most schools. For the biggest football factories not so much of an issue-- for most of the others however ... it is.

I can't imagine how much college players are getting tampered with. You tamper with players ... you should get penalized just like in the pros. After all, the way it is now its getting like the pros except there are absolutely no controls in place to regulate or try to ensure "fair and equitable" for everyone should anyone care about that.

You can't or shouldn't have it both ways. Then again, I guess you can as long as the "haves" keep getting their way.

Think college football is overdue for a major timeout of some sort. Because as it is ... NIL is a #@!* storm. Appears we are headed for a few super-duper money conferences with the other school serving as feeding grounds to those programs.

Sorry I get on this soapbox from time to time. It's just a sad state of affairs. Really okay with players getting their due for sure. However, they certainly should not be getting more than the pros.

Obviously ... I'm not okay with the way this has been implemented.

I've been predicting that college football would soon become the NFL's minor league and that is really where we are. The only difference is that a player cannot go back to the college team after becoming a pro.

The NFL CBA is the only thing holding back players from going pro mid-season. (they have to be drafted)

There has been talk about just letting the teams pay players. The problem with that is that it kicks in all kinds of labor laws that may make things even worse. At the end of the day, the NCAA has to help the college players to unionize so that a collective bargaining agreement can be struck. This might limit windows for Xfers, give players more healthcare rights, provide a framework for when a kid is and is not committed to a team.

Just wait until a player sues the NCAA for limiting his ability to portal out mid-season to another college team.

Reactions: unclewill
I've been predicting that college football would soon become the NFL's minor league and that is really where we are. The only difference is that a player cannot go back to the college team after becoming a pro.

The NFL CBA is the only thing holding back players from going pro mid-season. (they have to be drafted)

There has been talk about just letting the teams pay players. The problem with that is that it kicks in all kinds of labor laws that may make things even worse. At the end of the day, the NCAA has to help the college players to unionize so that a collective bargaining agreement can be struck. This might limit windows for Xfers, give players more healthcare rights, provide a framework for when a kid is and is not committed to a team.

Just wait until a player sues the NCAA for limiting his ability to portal out mid-season to another college team.
A football minor league would address many of the current problems in college football. It would have to structured so that the NFL teams are aligned with the minor league teams.

Athletes would have an optional path to the NFL. They would not have to pretend to be scolar athletes.

Instead of NIL money they would be paid a salary based on their current value and potential.

They could train full time rather than be limited by NCAA regulations and class time.

Teams would be funded by gate receipts, licensed apparel, local TV and the related NFL team. In the Lehigh Valley we have two minor league teams (Flyers and Phillies) and both do well financially.

Colleges won't have pretend that they are educating football players.

A football minor league would address many of the current problems in college football. It would have to structured so that the NFL teams are aligned with the minor league teams.

Athletes would have an optional path to the NFL. They would not have to pretend to be scolar athletes.

Instead of NIL money they would be paid a salary based on their current value and potential.

They could train full time rather than be limited by NCAA regulations and class time.

Teams would be funded by gate receipts, licensed apparel, local TV and the related NFL team. In the Lehigh Valley we have two minor league teams (Flyers and Phillies) and both do well financially.

Colleges won't have pretend that they are educating football players.
I don't disagree. My question would be, since the NFL gets a "free" minor league, why would they do this? They've actually tried some stuff with sponsoring some start-ups and the European league. And they poach USFL/XFL players that play well. Other than throwing in some seed money, I am not sure the value the NFL would get exceeds the cost.

I think they will milk the "college kids" charade for as long as they can.

Reactions: LMTLION
and how much are the schools making off the players?
The schools are making a lot off of football and men's basketball players, and plowing a lot of that back into the football and men's basketball programs, but also plowing a lot of that into the rest of the sports, which are money losers.

If I were an aspiring economist or sociologist, I would seek a grant to do some sort of longitudinal study to evaluate long term outcomes for players under this new regime. At some point a lot of people are going to swirl down the drain, not only not getting a big nil or pro contract, but also not even getting the benefit of educational continuity.

Reactions: Parkland Fan
There was a time when some may have felt justified giving grades to good athletes / bad students because they thought maybe they were exploited with all the money they were bringing in and not seeing, other than free schooling and room and board. But as the players start making decent money, the thought among some may become, no more gimme grades.

I mean, at some point a person with the advanced degree that it takes to teach at a university is going to feel resentful about giving grades to students that don't deserve the grade when the student is making more money than the teacher for playing football.

The schools are making a lot off of football and men's basketball players, and plowing a lot of that back into the football and men's basketball programs, but also plowing a lot of that into the rest of the sports, which are money losers.
Owe agreed--but that doesn't mean football and men's basketball players are wrong for wanting a piece of a very large pie--especially in football
It's like WNBA survives because the NBA allows them too--they shouldn't be complaining about wanting more money

Owe agreed--but that doesn't mean football and men's basketball players are wrong for wanting a piece of a very large pie--especially in football
It's like WNBA survives because the NBA allows them too--they shouldn't be complaining about wanting more money
I'm not saying football and men's basketball players are wrong for wanting more. But I am saying, if you want to move towards the ethic of the athletes should be rewarded more commensurately with what they bring in, then not only should football and men's basketball players get more, but everybody else should get less.

I'm not saying football and men's basketball players are wrong for wanting more. But I am saying, if you want to move towards the ethic of the athletes should be rewarded more commensurately with what they bring in, then not only should football and men's basketball players get more, but everybody else should get less.
Right they should get less--it's why many schools cut programs

A former OSU QB was an Acedemic all Big Ten award winner. Not sure how many classes he attended. If you're a great football player schools will take care of you. Graduating in 3 years is good if they are getting a quality education. The whole purpose of college is to improve your quality of life. A Professional sports career doesn't last forever.

there was a joke once....

tOSU player were getting tested for their academic qualifications. The star QB is scared and the prof says "don't worry, it is easy, it will be verbal and I'll even give you hints". So the QB sits down, gets his pencil and stares at the prof for his first question. the prof says "how do you spell 'farm'? The QB freezes. So the prof says "How do you spell the word 'farm' as in "old McDonald had a farm?" The QB smiles and writes down "E, I, E, I, O".

• Haha
Reactions: jjw165
A former OSU QB was an Acedemic all Big Ten award winner. Not sure how many classes he attended. If you're a great football player schools will take care of you. Graduating in 3 years is good if they are getting a quality education. The whole purpose of college is to improve your quality of life. A Professional sports career doesn't last forever.

The degree matters way more that how much someone puts into the education.
Also, a professional sports career is exactly why many of these kids go to school. if it wasn't to play football they wouldn't be at Penn State or any other school. Most aren't looking to be doctors, attorney or engineers. They're just there to play ball and have fun.
That's also not just football players--that's probably half of the students enrolled. College is just something people think they're supposed to do after HS. Most shouldn't

there was a joke once....

tOSU player were getting tested for their academic qualifications. The star QB is scared and the prof says "don't worry, it is easy, it will be verbal and I'll even give you hints". So the QB sits down, gets his pencil and stares at the prof for his first question. the prof says "how do you spell 'farm'? The QB freezes. So the prof says "How do you spell the word 'farm' as in "old McDonald had a farm?" The QB smiles and writes down "E, I, E, I, O".
You could have stopped that post immediately after "tOSU." (I can't believe I'm the first one that thought of that.)

Reactions: Obliviax
ADVERTISEMENT