ADVERTISEMENT

Football The future of Beaver Stadium...

Dylan Callaghan-Croley

Staff
Jun 14, 2020
I know this has probably been discussed quite a bit but I do want to ask - what do you guys believe the future of Beaver Stadium is / what do you hope the future of Beaver Stadium is?

I bring up this question simply because A) what we saw with Northwestern last week and B) Franklin said during his weekly coaches show last week that decisions will have to be made in the future and they can't be dragged out much longer.

I walked the stadium before the game on Saturday. With my cheap end zone seats, I hadn’t realized how little room there is between the end zones if you want to get a bite to eat, hit a restroom or get cover from the rain. End zones aren’t bad though.

Need to do suites and upgrade tv and media space on the west side similar to the east side. Also, find a way to expand upper concourse for better concessions, bathrooms and traffic flow. It seems like the gate issues are mostly fixed.

The last mock-up I saw had 3 levels around the entire stadium. The middle and highest levels were steep, especially level 3 (highest). No thanks, especially if I take relatives/guests with bad knees. Structurally Leave the sidelines alone. Not a bad seat in the house there with current design. Widen all of the seats. No strong opinions on concessions or restrooms.

This is fantasy territory… Retractable dome with 110,000 fans in attendance would be interesting! I do not have any interest in wash outs like this past Saturday.

I hope it sent to the recycling center and they build a new stadium from the ground up.

They need to do something, there is simply not enough space for each seat. Not enough room to walk through aisles...I never thought I would say this but complete remodel and lower the seating capacity to 95k...

So many other improvements needed for concessions, area underneath bleachers, and of course restrooms!

This is fantasy territory… Retractable dome with 110,000 fans in attendance would be interesting! I do not have any interest in wash outs like this past Saturday.
As you age and with HDTV weather is a factor. I've been at over 100 games and I don't attend anymore. I have better food, drink, and view at home with no bathroom lines. And better parking.

As you age and with HDTV weather is a factor. I've been at over 100 games and I don't attend anymore. I have better food, drink, and view at home with no bathroom lines. And better parking.
You should at least go to a game or 2 per year. Nothing like that atmosphere with the band playing, "We Are" chants, crowd going crazy. Good to feel every year.

The question is this on the future decision:

110,000 so we can say we have it, albeit crappy conditions
or
95,000 of luxury

Gun to my head I am not sure what I would choose.

Reactions: Zenophile
You should at least go to a game or 2 per year. Nothing like that atmosphere with the band playing, "We Are" chants, crowd going crazy. Good to feel every year.
Nope, the game day experience isn't what it used to be as I see it. I enjoy tv more these days and it doesn't take all day. I can get out archery hunting on Saturday am for example or if it's a noon game later in the day. I'm lucky to hunt on my uncle's farm just a few miles from home. Why fight traffic?

If the Athletic Department were to partner with local hoteliers to make lodging more affordable for season ticket holders, IMHO that would be as impactful as any stadium improvement. The overall cost of a gameday/weekend experience has really skyrocketed.
One reason why I don't bother. I cannot justify the cost compared to what I spent in the past. Especially with HDTV. I'm spending app $4,000 less a year now than 12 years ago. imagine the cost now?
Now I just buy regular groceries, lol.

Reactions: Zenophile
Nope, the game day experience isn't what it used to be as I see it. I enjoy tv more these days and it doesn't take all day. I can get out archery hunting on Saturday am for example or if it's a noon game later in the day. I'm lucky to hunt on my uncle's farm just a few miles from home. Why fight traffic?
You tell us you don't go to games anymore but then you opine on the game day experience. Since you don't go, why do we care what your opinion is and how do you know what the game day experience is now? :rolleyes:

If the Athletic Department were to partner with local hoteliers to make lodging more affordable for season ticket holders, IMHO that would be as impactful as any stadium improvement. The overall cost of a gameday/weekend experience has really skyrocketed.
While I agree that hotel expenses are ridiculous and the reason we initially bought a home in SC years go, why would the hotels agree to lower their price as they are full now? Hell, the hotels won't even adjust pricing for players families.

Here is an interesting site describing some upcoming college football stadia renovations. I don't know anything (.?) about relative costs or financing but an upgrade that would allow other uses and include offices (classrooms?), improved locker rooms, concession areas, and more comfortable seating (at the cost of lower capacity) is in order. Would that mean a de novo new facility? If so, where and how would you maintain the current experience during construction? Certainly greater minds than mine are needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: step.eng69
I don't want to look back one day, when I'm physically no longer able to make that trip (pilgrimage) and attend a Penn State game in person, wishing I had gone to more games in person when I was physically able to.

The current structure is so rudimentary I question investing more into it. They'd be better served tearing it down (either partially or completely) and starting from scratch, or starting from scratch at another location, vs trying to put more lipstick on the pig.

Reactions: bison13 and bytir
The hotel rooms are full. Doing that would only help the small few who stay overnight. It not going to increase attendance or improve conditions for a majority of the crowd. It not going to allow more people to attend games. There is approximately 2300 hotel rooms in Centre county. At most you are helping 6,000 fans.

Reactions: bison13
They need to bring back the hot coco mugs!

il_1588xN.4032692413_sbc6.jpg

I’d love to see them build a brand new stadium with luxury boxes bigger seats more amenities and hold about 95K. But I also love going back to that stadium as is as it makes me feel 18 again. My issue with a brand new stadium is where are they going to put it and maintain the ability for students to walk to the game with out changing lots of infrastructure.

The hotel rooms are full. Doing that would only help the small few who stay overnight. It not going to increase attendance or improve conditions for a majority of the crowd. It not going to allow more people to attend games. There is approximately 2300 hotel rooms in Centre county. At most you are helping 6,000 fans.
If you’re saying that Penn State should make no attempt at strategic partnerships for the purpose of controlling costs for season ticket holders, then a) I disagree, and b) you’re not a season ticket holder.

Last edited:
Reactions: step.eng69
If you’re saying that Penn State should make no attempt at strategic partnerships for the purpose of controlling costs for season ticket holders, then a) I disagree, and b) you’re not a season ticket holder.
How are they going to do that? Other than subsidizing the cost how is Penn state going to control the prices of hotels? Why is a hotel just going to magically lower their prices? Gas prices are high too. Should they force the gas stations to lower the gas prices? Should they hand out gas cards to those who attend the game? My point is instead of them spending millions on subsidizing hotel rooms they should use that money to lower the cost for all season ticket holders not just the ones that stay in hotels.

Last edited:
Reactions: bison13
Anybody notice the recent release of an economic impact study that claimed football generated $87m a season in visitor spend. Thats less than $150 per visitor. That’s a huge total but not as much as others because the community cannot absorb all those people. Most blow in and out without dropping a dime except at the stadium. Reduce the capacity to 90k at most and really make the experience superior. Including visiting HV. Besides future gens aren’t going to be flocking to CFB games like they have in the past.

Anybody notice the recent release of an economic impact study that claimed football generated $87m a season in visitor spend. Thats less than $150 per visitor. That’s a huge total but not as much as others because the community cannot absorb all those people. Most blow in and out without dropping a dime except at the stadium. Reduce the capacity to 90k at most and really make the experience superior. Including visiting HV. Besides future gens aren’t going to be flocking to CFB games like they have in the past.
are hotel costs not included? The amount of merchandise purchased downtown every game I go to as well as the lines at stores makes me believe its higher than 87 million

Gas prices are high to. Should they force the gas stations to lower the gas prices? Should they hand out gas cards to those who attend the game?
C'mon. (*too)
How are they going to do that? Other than subsidizing the cost how is Penn state going to control the prices of hotels?
This feels a bit like obstinance. Penn State has strategic partnership with many, many organizations and can share the benefits from those partnerships with whomever it chooses.

C'mon. (*too)

This feels a bit like obstinance. Penn State has strategic partnership with many, many organizations and can share the benefits from those partnerships with whomever it chooses.
If you are so smart, explain the benefit to us for the hotels to lower their prices when they are currently full. What is the cost/benefit here for them? Shaner, The Scholar Group and others have no reason to accept such a partnership. Especially now that the Scholar Group has eaten much of their competition with ownership of the Penn Stater, the Inn, the Residence Inn and the Courtyard and of course the converted Glenland building into the Scholar. Strategic partnerships only work when there is benefit on both sides. The athletic department attempts a similar partnership to house student athletes parents at a reduced cost. That was a complete bust as there were no takers.

A new stadium would be all individual chairback seats, or are bleachers still a thing? If individual seats I would think it would be hard to have a stadium with 107k/110k fans.

I know this has probably been discussed quite a bit but I do want to ask - what do you guys believe the future of Beaver Stadium is / what do you hope the future of Beaver Stadium is?

I bring up this question simply because A) what we saw with Northwestern last week and B) Franklin said during his weekly coaches show last week that decisions will have to be made in the future and they can't be dragged out much longer.
My hope is they turn down the volume in the south endzone and play some music from the 60's and 70's rather than that rap crap!

Reactions: FHSPSU67
ADVERTISEMENT