ADVERTISEMENT

The good and the not so good

bdgan

May 29, 2008
The good
  • This was one of the best jobs of run blocking I've seen in quite some time. It was also some of the most hard nosed running I've seen from two PSU RBs in decades. They delivered the hits, not the defenders. Singleton & Allen were both close to 100 yds rushing without any breakaway runs. They just pounded it out 5+ yards at a time. The only scary part was Singleton's near fumble.
  • Tyler Warren is a beast. Only 4 catches but his running and blocking were great and he handled the wildcat perfectly.
  • Durant had a breakout game.

The not so good
  • The passing attack looks a lot like it did last year. Allar still seems a bit jittery under pressure and I'm not sure if our WRs are getting separation. ILL was playing us up tight for much of the game and daring us to throw deep but for the most part we couldn't or wouldn't do it.
  • I still worry about Franklin's shorts getting tight in close games. The first drive was great. 20 yd pass to Wallace. 14 yd pass to Singleton. Another 16 yd pass to Singleton. Mix in some good runs. Illinois was off balance. But then it ended. Very little passing deep and no more passing to Singleton.
  • Once again Sadhayak failed under pressure. I'm sure he has a good leg and makes them in practice or he wouldn't be out there. I think he just needs to make a few in a row to gain his confidence. The question is can we afford to give him time to get his head straight. Washington had 222 more yards of offense than Rutgers yesterday and never turned the ball over. Yet they lost in part because they missed 3 FGs. I'd hate for that to happen. Meyer made 17 out of 20 FGs last year at Tulsa. I'm surprised we haven't seen him.
  • Penalties

We should beat UCLA next week but then things get difficult. @ USC, @ Wisconsin, OSU, and Washington is a very tough stretch. It sure would be nice to have Deluca and Winston back.

Last edited:
BTW I'd rank the BiG like this:
  1. OSU
  2. Oregon
  3. USC (1 loss but they played LSU, Mich, & Wisc)
  4. PSU
  5. Michigan
  6. Illinois
  7. Nebraska
  8. Wisconsin
  9. Indiana

BTW I'd rank the BiG like this:
  1. OSU
  2. Oregon
  3. USC (1 loss but they played LSU, Mich, & Wisc)
  4. PSU
  5. Michigan
  6. Illinois
  7. Nebraska
  8. Wisconsin
  9. Indiana
You like USC Nebraska and Wisconsin more than I do
1 Ohio State
2/3 Oregon/Penn State (flip a coin)
4 USC
5 Illinois
6 Michigan (smoke and mirrors)
7 Indiana

Doesn't matter after that but maybe Rutgers. Wisconsin and Nebraska aren't good teams.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT