ADVERTISEMENT

The Match That Made Austin Desanto Cry

Oh man, what a classic fight! I grew up watching Sugar Ray Leonard. One of my all-time favorite boxers. And I know you were comparing ADS to Duran here, but RBY’s speed, quickness, footwork, finesse, and fluidity do remind me of Sugar Ray.

Man I miss those days of boxing. Grew up on the Pittsburgh Steelers, Friday night fights and the championship fights on HBO and Showtime.

Yeah, between Hagler, Hearns, Duran and Sugar Ray, you just didn't get much better around the same weight. Sugar Ray was my favorite of the bunch (and he did/does remind you a bit of RBY), but they were all supremely talented boxers.

My assessment of this match:

1) ADS injured his knee.
2) There was no intent to injure his knee.
3) Knees get torqued far worse than this in wrestling.
4) Still, it injured his knee.

1) ADS injured his knee.
If I’m not mistaken but wrestling is a potentially dangerous sport with a good chance of injury , even though they try to prevent injuries .

Hawkeye fans belly ached over the PD chicken wings in the Lee Vespa match but are perfectly fine with stopping the match on a cradle

Reactions: hlstone
those losers on initiate contact were complaining about illegal move by RBY so why didnt the ref call it?they also called RBY a little biatch pretty funny considering he owned desantis the last 2 yrs!

Reactions: danoftw

1) ADS injured his knee.
Man, it sure turns itself on and off in a random fashion.

An oldie, but goodie.

The dull voice, sounding as if we are about to hear an analysis of the Zapruder film, followed by “the time Austin Desanto” cried is outstanding comedy.

I actually heard a rumor, and I won’t tell you who put me on to this. RBY had plans of actually ripping off Desanto’s leg from the knee down, grabbing the mic, holding it over his head, pointing at the Iowa bench, and cutting a WWF promo threatening to do the same to Spencer if he ever got over mono or some other sickness and dared to go to 133.

clearly the knee got tweaked the first time RBY pulled the foot out so he could cradle. Nothing illegal about it. Either ADS had an existing knee issue or that 'tweaked' it. The second time was it... By stopping the action the inj def was appropriate
I know, another capt Obvious moment here (for some of you :) )

clearly the knee got tweaked the first time RBY pulled the foot out so he could cradle. Nothing illegal about it. Either ADS had an existing knee issue or that 'tweaked' it. The second time was it... By stopping the action the inj def was appropriate
I tweaked my knee by dragging a heavy weight sled , slight tear in the medial meniscus. Yeah I was 57, but sometimes injuries happen.

I sometimes read the HR posts for comic relief. The one about who would they rather have now, ADS or RBY is typical gold. Of course the majority want ADS because of his exciting matches and not multiple national championships. I’m sure these are the same people who got participation trophies and were happy about it. Of course, when someone tries to talk rational, they immediately bring up their go to Sandusky comments. That’s when I think even they know they lost any type of credibility or argument.

Hawkeye fans belly ached over the PD chicken wings in the Lee Vespa match but are perfectly fine with stopping the match on a cradle
No it's bar arm, not a chicken wing. 😝🤣

It always amuses me when they cry about his bar being called PD. It's a chicken wing and illegal. Most knowledgeable fan base my butt.😇

The second cradle, there was no pulling of the leg or any awkward positioning of the knee whatsoever- ADS’s knee was too close to his head and the cradle was right there. Austin knew the match was over and he broke.

IIRC, even Tom Brands after that match basically admitted that Austin was not actually injured, but was “freaked out” and folded mentally because he was not used to being put in that position.

Basically he was spooked but not actually injured. Straight from the coach’s mouth.

1) ADS injured his knee.
You might be right.
You should still list number 5) he cried "no Mas, no mas" and quit.

Whatever happened it scared the hell out of ADS. Moving forward he never took an angle off any shots against RBY. He would shoot and as still and quiet as a mouse would shelter in place.

Last edited:
IIRC, even Tom Brands after that match basically admitted that Austin was not actually injured, but was “freaked out” and folded mentally because he was not used to being put in that position.

Basically he was spooked but not actually injured. Straight from the coach’s mouth.
If you watch after the match, ADS is telling Brands “I can’t go” and Brands isn’t remotely sympathetic. You can lip read him asking “Are you quitting?” before telling the trainer to not help ADS and said “Stay back, let him quit” then he pointed at ADS while saying something to Terry who didn’t seem happy either.

I actually have exclusive of a locker room interview with Desanto after the match. This is the first I have shared this.

Reporter: Austin, what happened out there tonight?

Desanto: RB
nancy-kerrigan-why.gif

You guys are harsh. It was several years ago and Desanto never beat RBY again. Let it go. Mock HR’s choice to re-choose AD all you want, but imo, still ragging on DS for panicking isn’t a good look. Now his attempting to hurt people, or threatening media members, that’s still fair game 😉

You guys are harsh. It was several years ago and Desanto never beat RBY again. Let it go. Mock HR’s choice to re-choose AD all you want, but imo, still ragging on DS for panicking isn’t a good look. Now his attempting to hurt people, or threatening media members, that’s still fair game 😉
I believe it is fair game. GIA HR brought it up and stated how RBY intentionally tried to hurt DeSanto, and would do the same if Spencer wrestled up. This gives evidence that is BS.

I believe it is fair game. GIA HR brought it up and stated how RBY intentionally tried to hurt DeSanto, and would do the same if Spencer wrestled up. This gives evidence that is BS.
HR and "full of bullshyt" say it ain't so Joe.

NOW I KNOW what DT should have been doing that night Bubba caught him in that cradle!

Reactions: nitlion6
Remember that time a Penn State wrestler freaked out when he got caught in a cradle? Twice?

Me neither.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT