ADVERTISEMENT

The Mt. Rushmore of CFB head coaches?

john4psu

Sep 7, 2003
I posted the question of who makes your Mt. Rushmore of NFL head coaches so I may as well ask who makes your Mt. Rushmore of college football coaches?

I would think a given would be: Rockne, Bear, and Joe. At least those three are for me.

The fourth spot would be open for discussion with me: Woody, Bowden, Leahy, Wilkinson, Osborne, Saban, etc.

So who makes your Mt. Rushmore of college football coaches?

Reactions: fairgambit
I posted the question of who makes your Mt. Rushmore of NFL head coaches so I may as well ask who makes your Mt. Rushmore of college football coaches?

I would think a given would be: Rockne, Bear, and Joe. At least those three are for me.

The fourth spot would be open for discussion with me: Woody, Bowden, Leahy, Wilkinson, Osborne, Saban, etc.

So who makes your Mt. Rushmore of college football coaches?
I agree with Joe, Rockne, and Bear. My 4th would be Eddie Robinson.

Reactions: john4psu
Joe, Rockne, and Bear

Yeah, these would be on the concensus list, I think. The others mentioned by the OP are all in consideration if you needed to get to four or more... but I'd also think Stagg or one of the other early coaches would be worthy as well.

I'd throw John Sutherland and Frank Leahy into the mix as coaches who merit consideration

To leave Saban off would be a crime. 4 National Championships between LSU and Alabama and a pretty darn good job at MSU.

Yet ANOTHER Mt. Rushmore thread. It hasn't even been six months since the last one. A new record!!

To leave Saban off would be a crime. 4 National Championships between LSU and Alabama and a pretty darn good job at MSU.

But without the guys being mentioned, there is no Nick Saban. They built the foundation of college football for others to have success. And Saban may not have 4 NC's if the rules were the same as they were back in the old days of college football. They certainly wouldn't have won it the year they lost to LSU in the regular season and beat them in a rematch for the NC...back in the day they would not have gotten a second chance.

Are we going by wins, national championships or some other measure? I read a lot of love for Knute Rockne but none for Frank Leahy, who won a few more games and one more national championship. Rockne's reputation was built by the Gipper movie and by time, plus his premature death. Joe had a ton of wins but only 2 undisputed* national championships. *= should be at least 4.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT