ADVERTISEMENT

The Mystery of Beau Bartlett

seeyajohn

Mar 19, 2012
Beau Bartlett appears to have excellent quickness and great scrambling skills. I get that he is an outstanding counter wrestler. But why does he not initiate more action?

The Van Brill match is a great illustration. Not including the final thirty seconds, the two wrestlers were in the neutral position for a total of 7 minutes and 24 seconds. During that time Van Brill took five legitimate shots, getting to the leg twice, and two half shots. Beau took a total of two shots, one resulting in the first period takedown. Two shots in 7:24!!!

I know that Coach Sanderson has remarked about Beau needing to be more aggressive. Even Beau has commented that he needs to initiate more action.

So why doesn’t he?

Beau Bartlett appears to have excellent quickness and great scrambling skills. I get that he is an outstanding counter wrestler. But why does he not initiate more action?

The Van Brill match is a great illustration. Not including the final thirty seconds, the two wrestlers were in the neutral position for a total of 7 minutes and 24 seconds. During that time Van Brill took five legitimate shots, getting to the leg twice, and two half shots. Beau took a total of two shots, one resulting in the first period takedown. Two shots in 7:24!!!

I know that Coach Sanderson has remarked about Beau needing to be more aggressive. Even Beau has commented that he needs to initiate more action.

So why doesn’t he?
It may have something to do with why the sky is blue. Figure that one out and then you should have your answer.

I was sure this thread was going to be a faux article with Beau Bartlett being pursued by four meddling kids and their dog in a green van.

Reactions: slushhead
But why does he not initiate more action?

Even Beau has commented that he needs to initiate more action.

So why doesn’t he?

42-hitchhikers-guide-to-the-galaxy.gif

At least he doesnt have headgear issues 🤨

Ever since the KC E-58's took over, everybody has headgear issues.

I noticed they aren't advertising Fusion HG this year on broadcasts..

I don't remember having issues with my Halo headgear, even when I was getting my temples ground into the mat.

So why doesn’t he?
You have to excuse the replies so far because they have no answer either. But you're absolutely correct on the observation of his Van Brill match. We have to remind ourselves to be patient. Cael has recognized this and will try to work with BB on it, just like he has been trying to work with Joe Lee. He's still young. If not, we know what is happening to Joe Lee.

The locked hands call was the difference. When they meet again Bartlett will win.

Kid has about as many matches in his career as Frank Molinaro had losses as a freshman and has a bunch of you guys worked up pretty good. Lol

How many of you thought at the end of that match…”BB will win that rematch if there is one.” I did. He’s improving. He relies on the coaches a lot during matches. Lots of glances you don’t often see. He left obvious points on the mat vs VB and he won’t need video debriefing to know what they were. His hips are getting heavier too. Patience, folks. He’s gonna pay dividends. Coming soon the the top of a podium near you….before he’s all done.

Last edited:
Also: he's 150lbs, wrestling guys who are likely walking around at 160+.

When Nick graduates and he gets down to his more natural wrestling weight class, he's going to hammer some dudes.

Only one other wrestler has frustrated me more than Beau these past 10 years and that’s Jimmy Gulibon. I do see differences though and as soon as this March I think we are going to be laughing at ourselves for doubting him.
Im guessing my headgear reference went right over your lumpy head?

Was this the second loss where Beau had a chance to escape (which would put him into the lead) but tried and failed to get a reversal, and then got ridden out?

Beau and Berge love 3-2 matches.... but their margin for error is so slim especially in tournaments and the wear and tear is significant. It just seems they can get in there but they are just a split second hesitant. Guilibon was definitely similar to Beau but for four years. Noticed some of the lower weights had issues on the bottom. need to do some clean up in the next month.

Was this the second loss where Beau had a chance to escape (which would put him into the lead) but tried and failed to get a reversal, and then got ridden out?
Yes, though that's not what lost the bouts. Chances earlier and not cashing in, as he had the lead in both bouts, cost him later.

I'm a big fan, and know more dominance is coming, so patience is needed while it all unfolds. I'm not talking DT, ER, Bo, Zain or Jason-like dominance, I'm talking about being up by 3 or more with time winding down against the guys he's currently within a point of.

So far in 11 bouts, he's had 8 that are 1 or 2 point bouts (and two of the three 2-point bouts were won with a takedown in SV)! Two 1-point bouts were losses. That's playing with fire. Despite this, his calmness has allowed him to win more often than not. That bodes well too.

No mystery, kid (freshman) wrestling up a weight hanging with everyone not named yanni or sasso so far, with chance to have had 1 loss. I’m sure he’s not happy with results either but he’s very talented and it will be ok.
He hung with Sasso. Took him down; lost 5-3.

Hate the title of this post! " Mystery" What mystery? There is no mystery. BB is a talent who is wrestling his truly first year and up a weight. He has had the toughest schedule of any PS wrestler so far and has done really well overall. Just listen to his interview. He is learning, determined, motivated, talented ,has a great attitude and is getting better as the year progresses.

Last edited:
Hate the title this post! " Mystery" What mystery? There is no mystery. BB is a talent who is wrestling his truly first year and up a weight. He has had the toughest schedule of any PS wrestler so far and has done really well overall. Just listen to his interview. He is learning, determined, motivated, talented ,has a great attitude and is getting better as the year progresses.
I agree the kid is a breath of fresh air. Every time I hear him speak I feel motivated. Big things for him on and off the mat.

I saw Bartlett in K2 Roots today, where I was recovering with a smoothie after donating blood. Friendly kid, not at all mysterious. Probably a good sign that I saw him there and not at, say, an Arby's.
Too bad I missed both of you there today—I also bought a smoothie. Saw SVN there the last time I was there.

I agree the kid is a breath of fresh air. Every time I hear him speak I feel motivated. Big things for him on and off the mat.
Yeah, listening to that kid articulate his thoughts makes me smile. He might be the next Elinisky. Never an NCAA champion, but a generous multi-million dollar alumnus. The kid and school both win.

However, if forced to wager I am betting on him winning a title or two.

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
Definitely more mature than most kids his age. I like his mental outlook and he sounds like a kid Cael loves to work with that same grateful for the opportunity and willing to get better no matter what. Hard not to like a kid like that. And our line up is full of them. That's one of the things I always loved the most about PSU wrestling and Cael teams they have that x factor that goes beyond wins and losses

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT