ADVERTISEMENT

The Panhellenic council at PSU is apparently training up a new generation

demlion

Feb 4, 2004
of truth-hiders:

Scott Nulty, vice president for community outreach of the Interfraternity Council, sent an email to fraternity presidents and requested they forward it to their chapter listserves, according to the email.

"We have gotten some questions regarding media outlets reaching out to fraternity members to comment on the Kappa Delta Rho situation," the email reads. "If this happens to any of you, please refrain from giving a statement and forward the request to a member of the Interfraternity Council."

Telling frat and sorority members to say "no comment" when asked by the media about the kdr case is just stupid, and guaranteed to make ALL Greek orgs seem like they are guilty of something.

I would be fine if they said "Be sure to treat these allegations as unproven at this time. Much better to say 'If this is true, then...yadda yadda yadda."

Just saying "no Comment" makes you just like the defendants. Sheesh.

BTW you know what week this is at PSU? WOMEN'S EMPOWERMENT WEEK!

How is "No comment" empowering?

This post was edited on 3/19 10:26 AM by demlion

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/news/campus/article_a

Well, they're imitating their leadership at PSU....

What do you expect? How sad.

Originally posted by demlion:
of truth-hiders:

Scott Nulty, vice president for community outreach of the Interfraternity Council, sent an email to fraternity presidents and requested they forward it to their chapter listserves, according to the email.

"We have gotten some questions regarding media outlets reaching out to fraternity members to comment on the Kappa Delta Rho situation," the email reads. "If this happens to any of you, please refrain from giving a statement and forward the request to a member of the Interfraternity Council."

Telling frat and sorority members to say "no comment" when asked by the media about the kdr case is just stupid, and guaranteed to make ALL Greek orgs seem like they are guilty of something.

I would be fine if they said "Be sure to treat these allegations as unproven at this time. Much better to say 'If this is true, then...yadda yadda yadda."

All organizations have spokespeople, especially with the media. You just don't have anyone communicate with the media, especially when you're dealing with college students who, obviously, don't always use the best judgment.

I'm not saying the IFC will offer meaningful statements, but consistency in the message is important when dealing with a high-profile, negative situation. Companies don't just let anyone talk to the media, and companies have educated, experienced people in the workforce.

We all know how out-of-control the media is today. You don't want to give them anything to run with. You have to control the message.

In all fairness, other frats should have nothing to say. How can they comment on something which didn't involve them as far as we know?? Anything they may say to a media outlet could be twisted into something else. Referring all questions to the IFC is a good decision. And no, I've never been in a fraternity.

Ordinary frat members and sorority sisters do not have to toe the

company line. Individual Greek students do not speak for the Panhellenic council. Guidance as to what to say is different from a muzzle.

Sororities might just be a different story than "other frats."

And again, they did not say your PRESIDENT should have no comment on behalf of your greek org, they said YOU should have no comment. I can tell you there is already a backlash building in the sororities against this.

"it's women's empowerment week, so please be quiet." Great idea.
This post was edited on 3/19 11:01 AM by demlion

I totally agree with them....

we have the press, which will take any comment and spin it (with benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more). Frats aren't evil, some frat members are. The press will swoop in and do what they do, if for no other reason, its Penn State. Best to follow Barron's advice; let the authorities do their thing, follow due process, and let it play out.

of truth-hiders:

Well considering a philly paper just interviewed a kid from KDR and he came across as a complete Douche I think its probably a good idea.
Frankly I wish ALL media would do a lot less interviewing of "the man on the street".

Wow. this is how you get known for silence and not addressing things.

This was a message to INDIVIDUALS not to speak. It is likely to drive more comment.

don't agree. its how you consolidate voices

and mitigate damage to innocent people while those that are responsible get punished within the framework of the judicial system. There is nothing wrong with consolidating voices. It isn't "secretive" or confining...there isn't a punishment for speaking directly to the press, its voluntary.

dem - Upon further review, the email was sent to fraternity presidents...

not individual fraternity/sorority members. With that in mind, I think the original email makes sense. I would agree that it's shady to tell *every* frat member to remain silent, but as this only pertains to presidents, I don't have an issue with them wanting a consolidated voice/message.

Because anything you say to the press other than No Comment

about anything becomes ESPN. They get and deserve nothing.

Yeah, I'm not so sure it's a bad policy to have. Pennlive has done three stories on the fraternity in the past 24 hours alone including a poll of how people think it's being handled. IIRC in one of the stories the other day they questioned another fraternity member they just happened to find on the street. They are clearly looking for some sort of explosive or totally clueless statement to run with. They see this as a mini JS scandal IMO. The idea of referring media to a spokesperson is hardly new and done every day.

This post was edited on 3/19 11:15 AM by psu00

It was immediately sent by the presidents to all members and even posted on

the facebook pages of the org my daughter is/was a member of. The email they sent was giving direction to individual members.

Re: It was immediately sent by the presidents to all members and even posted on

the facebook pages of the org my daughter is/was a member of. The email they sent was giving direction to individual members.
Ah, okay. I thought this was limited to chapter presidents. Carry on....

Correct move IMO

There are those equipped with the right amount of information and the ability to properly handle media and PR requests in most organizations. If you aren't that person, "no comment" is almost always the correct answer when asked for your public opinion on a sensitive topic.

My wife is a member of a Sorority, I am not a Frat member...

But I can tell you this... Greek Life is portrayed very negatively by Hollywood and The Media. Greek Life is not all about drinking and getting laid, as Hollywood would like us to believe.

I agree with them that they need to have a single, concise, message.

So if it turns out this is true, by remaining silent about it now,

you say, "even during women's empowerment week we cannot take the chance to speak out about alleged injustice to women. Even on an "if...then" basis. No, during women's empowerment week, while the alleged perps are busy denying it, we cannot say, if this is true then it is really awful."

Would it really be so bad if sorority sisters said, if this is true, then ....? Why?

what if a member says "with benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more"

and the press spins that as having had prior knowledge? lets say it was a frat or sorority that was uninvolved and then they are smeared by the press as having known, a cultural problem with Penn State's frats, a conspiracy to cover up, and innocent people get flushed down the drain?

For me, if the cops or press want to talk to me about anything, I have an attorney present. Done deal. These people are corrupt and/or incompetent.

I am not sure how much more we need to see about Penn State, the county and the state to get that.

It is portrayed negatively because there is a kernel of truth in it.

Having the members fall into silent lockstep with the defendants is not how you correct that image.

This was a very good idea by IFC/PHC. You can't have some individual fraternity or sorority member comment because their comments will be used to paint the entire community in the same light as if that person is speaking on behalf of all Greeks. The media will take even the slightest controversial comment made by some bro and spin it to fit their narrative that the Greek Community is evil, all frats are rapists/misogynists, etc.

PHC canceled their woman speaker for tonight so sororities could have an open dialogue about the incident. So PHC is in no way silencing the sororities....they are giving them a chance to let their voice be heard in an organized forum, not some free-for-all charade driven by the media.

...maybe...these are kids, remember

even if they say something that well, and stop, they will be asked a follow up question...a gotcha question. These people, these kids, are not equipped to handle such scrutiny. There is nothing wrong with remaining silent, in fact, our founders saw it to be a fundamental constitutional right.

Re: So if it turns out this is true, by remaining silent about it now,

I think you're missing the point a little here. First, most people don't get overly excited about "women's empowerment week" or any other "cause of the week" nonsense. Second, 2000 frat members could say this is horrible and that anyone involved should be jailed immediately. Problem is.......none of that will be printed. However, when the one half drunk or totally stupid frat member who thinks he's being funny says something stupid - that will be the main topic of the story and the headline. Seriously, did we forget the media spin of the past 3 years? Referring people an official spokesperson for an official statement is not bad. Saying you were not a member of that fraternity and you have no idea about the situation other than what's been in the press- so it's best to go talk to the spokesperson is not a bad way to go.

This post was edited on 3/19 12:07 PM by psu00

The frats have probably already heard from either of their National

Chapters about how to respond along with their own chapter sponsor and executive board of alumni from their respective chapters. Frankly, other than saying something about letting the process play out and supporting the current response, they are correct in saying nothing.

IFC is handling this correctly

This is absolutely the correct way to handle this. Nothing good can come from talking to the press except through official channels. This is always true regardless of the current circumstances.

Re: Absolutely the smart thing to do.

Is it helpful or useful to anyone (other than reporters trying to gin up controversy or conjecture to make their boring reportage more interesting) to have partially to completely uninformed individuals providing their views or opinions on this situation? Reporters cherry-picking for juicy or inflammatory comments should ALWAYS be shut down. That's the last thing any organization wants or needs. I have seen this done by businesses when reporters start randomly calling employees for comments about some accident or other negative press about the company.

Moreover, this email does not appear to stifle fraternity members from engaging in public debates or forums about issues of sexual harassment or female empowerment or any other number of conundrums plaguing society. It says if reporters call asking about the criminal allegations against members of a fraternity, don't talk to them. That's just common sense. The last thing that fraternity or the Greek system at PSU needs are out-of-context or uninformed comments about the specific criminal allegations brought against individual members of the fraternity.

Re: what if a member says "with benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more"

Originally posted by Obliviax:
and the press spins that as having had prior knowledge? lets say it was a frat or sorority that was uninvolved and then they are smeared by the press as having known, a cultural problem with Penn State's frats, a conspiracy to cover up, and innocent people get flushed down the drain?

For me, if the cops or press want to talk to me about anything, I have an attorney present. Done deal. These people are corrupt and/or incompetent.

I am not sure how much more we need to see about Penn State, the county and the state to get that.
Yeah, but wouldn't that be the same as Eric Joyner sending a letter to all Penn State students, student athletes, etc. telling them not to comment on the Sandusky scandal, or to refer questions to someone at Penn State? As chapter presidents, I can see where the council would be able to 'enforce' their compliance. Frat members and such aren't in any position of authority, and while you would hope the wouldn't say anything stupid, I don't see how you can force their hand by telling them to remain silent.

IMHO, not at all. Silence is a constitutional right.

In my business, a small software company, we have a marketing department and an official spokesperson to make sure that our messaging is clear, unambiguous and on-point. Just about every company has similar.

do you think that Franklin doesn't monitor his team's social media? In fact, we know he does, He has one player delete a tweet about Olbermann just a couple of weeks ago. PSU certainly limits media exposure to a handful of kids. And, at the tOSU game, didn't make kids available at all (IIRC, even if wrong, teams do that all the time after specific difficult games).

And, just a piece of advice, if a cop shows up at your front door and asks to search your house and answer a few questions about abuse that was alleged by a neighbor, I suggest you clam up and hire an attorney.

+1. Only an idiot would give the media more ammunition...

And no matter what they would say someone would twist it to make it into bad PR.

In those cases the employee can be said the SPEAK for the employer.

Some random sorority sister giving her opinion does not speak for the Panhellenic Council. She is just giving her opinion. So, by all means, restrict the individuals to statements that make them sound like they are taking the same position as KDR or the defense lawyers who are hired if charges are brought.

Sure would make me feel empowered to be told that I am not allowed to have my own opinion regarding an issue, because I am a dues paying member of a voluntary organization.

Re: It is portrayed negatively because there is a kernel of truth in it.

Having the members fall into silent lockstep with the defendants is not how you correct that image.
Stop being so demy for once. Use your head. Any and all college students talking to media about an issue that the media is already "outraged" over is a good idea? Have you ever worked in a corporation? Do you have any sense of what it means to maintain a positive public image?

To say that limiting the people speaking to the media suppresses the truth is a gross oversimplification. You search for the truth, but you don't have to do it publicly. People have rights, and details need to be gathered. You don't speak to the media recklessly.

A big reason Penn State is in the shape it's in is because its "leadership" did not take proper control of the narrative with the best interests of Penn State in mind. The legal system was taking action, and the university should have taken proper action. With that and a proper and consistent message to the media, the false narrative would not have taken hold with the media.

With kdr, the legal system is taking action and the university is taking action. Let them do their job, and control the message with the media. This should be common sense.

It's the right move. From former Pres/IFC Exec Member

Have you seen what 18-22 say when mics are shoved in their faces. This is an over 4000 person community. Too many dumb people to take the chance on just one bad quote being taken out of proportion. I would further tell the presidents to tell all of their members that they should also refrain from posting on social media about the situation especially jokes.

BTW as an undergrad I was both a Fraternity President and served on the IFC Exec council. Dealt with many things like this and the best thing to do is keep your mouth shut. Too many people have too many opinions and once you're a member of a group you represent that group at all times. Your family, your school, your organizations. One faulty opinion and everyone you're associated with looks like they have that opinion.

If you have a very strong opinion take it to your chapter president and they can deliver that message to the councils. You can always use the threat of going public with your opinion if the leaders won't listen to you. But immediately going to the media or social media with your take on it is a bad idea.

This post was edited on 3/19 12:52 PM by bmw199

You're all over the place here....

If the council wants all chapter presidents to respond in unification, and dictates as such, I don't have a problem with that. If chapter presidents want their members to do the same, well, they can ask, but I wouldn't expect it to go over too well. Again, if Joyner issued a similar decree, Mike Mauti and Mike Zordich would have been booted off the team and from the school for what they did. Bottom line is, I don't hold 'affiliated' frat members to the same standard as a chapter president, just like I don't hold Penn State players to the same standard I do for Franklin (albeit is very high for both).

I don't see how an illegal search/seizure of my house from a cop is anywhere near this ballpark.

Right, would be a great idea to have a bunch of 20 year olds giving quotes

about something I hope they know nothing about. what could go wrong?

Re: You're all over the place here....

Originally posted by Midnighter:
If the council wants all chapter presidents to respond in unification, and dictates as such, I don't have a problem with that. If chapter presidents want their members to do the same, well, they can ask, but I wouldn't expect it to go over too well. Again, if Joyner issued a similar decree, Mike Mauti and Mike Zordich would have been booted off the team and from the school for what they did. Bottom line is, I don't hold 'affiliated' frat members to the same standard as a chapter president, just like I don't hold Penn State players to the same standard I do for Franklin (albeit is very high for both). This is not binding, its a suggestion to not talk to reporters. That's smart. The press is already smearing innocent frats and frat members. Why give them additional ammo?

I don't see how an illegal search/seizure of my house from a cop is anywhere near this ballpark. Its one of your constitutional rights....it keeps you from having to convict yourself and give too much power to governments. They have to get a search warrant to search and use your own possessions against you. Just as you have the right to keep quiet so that they cannot use your comments against you. My wife has a client, right now, where the cops lied to her (which is 100% legal) and took her comments out of context to convict her. Basically, they asked if she knew her friend was doing something illegal. She said "yes". What she meant is "yes, I do know, but I did not know it at the time." They took that part out and tried to use it against her. My wife, after listing into dozens of hours of questioning (with no lawyer present) realized they were purposely misconstruing the comments to gain a conviction of willful assistance of fraud. Beware, because the police and investigators are not always your friends.

A bad kernel shouldn't be used to kill the whole tree.

But that is the way of media. Better to control the message than to allow some off-handed comment be taken out of context and edited to drive outrage at the entire Greek culture.

Re: And I think the same concept applies to a member of an organization...

like a fraternity or sorority. The media will likely portray it as the opinion or belief of the organization. Or they will use it to create ambiguity or cast doubt about the organization's comments or position on the subject. More often than not, the only time a reporter resorts to such random comments is when they are not getting anything from the main target and they are fishing for something inflammatory.

Also, maybe I misread the email you quoted or I'm otherwise missing something here, but the email was directed to fraternity presidents and their membership, not sororities, and it relates specifically to reporters contacting fraternity members to ask for their comments or statements about the KDR situation. How is that disempowering (that may not be a real word, but I think it is symptomatic of societal malaise that we all likely would not blink twice at it) sorority members (or anyone lese for that matter) to have or express an opinion on a general issue or topic. Or are you saying it's a good idea for people to express their opinions on factual situations potentially involving crimes before all the facts are known?

I tend to agree with concerns (although I'm not sure if this is your concern here) that colleges and universities have sometimes been at the forefront of squelching dissenting opinions and free speech, but I don't feel this particular circumstance is in that category.

Re: You're all over the place here....

Originally posted by Obliviax:

Originally posted by Midnighter:
If the council wants all chapter presidents to respond in unification, and dictates as such, I don't have a problem with that. If chapter presidents want their members to do the same, well, they can ask, but I wouldn't expect it to go over too well. Again, if Joyner issued a similar decree, Mike Mauti and Mike Zordich would have been booted off the team and from the school for what they did. Bottom line is, I don't hold 'affiliated' frat members to the same standard as a chapter president, just like I don't hold Penn State players to the same standard I do for Franklin (albeit is very high for both). This is not binding, its a suggestion to not talk to reporters. That's smart. The press is already smearing innocent frats and frat members. Why give them additional ammo?

I don't see how an illegal search/seizure of my house from a cop is anywhere near this ballpark. Its one of your constitutional rights....it keeps you from having to convict yourself and give too much power to governments. They have to get a search warrant to search and use your own possessions against you. Just as you have the right to keep quiet so that they cannot use your comments against you. My wife has a client, right now, where the cops lied to her (which is 100% legal) and took her comments out of context to convict her. Basically, they asked if she knew her friend was doing something illegal. She said "yes". What she meant is "yes, I do know, but I did not know it at the time." They took that part out and tried to use it against her. My wife, after listing into dozens of hours of questioning (with no lawyer present) realized they were purposely misconstruing the comments to gain a conviction of willful assistance of fraud. Beware, because the police and investigators are not always your friends.
I agree that it is good practice for the council to want to send a consistent, measured response to any media. I also agree that it is probably a good idea for those asked about the incident to not comment unless they are extremely informed. But, I disagree that there should be some mandate for regular students, who happen to be frat members, to be silenced if asked. We all know what can happen when it comes to the media, and it's not below them to take a quote from Joe Student of I Phelta Thigh way out of context (or not out of context if it's stupid enough) and run with it, but it's certainly the right of both parties to participate in that dialogue if they so choose. Dumb idea? Probably. But not up the council IMO when it comes to regular students.

Moreover, the media is going to ask anyone who is a student anyway - Greek or not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT