ADVERTISEMENT

This Baylor thing is unbelievably similar to PSU

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
So Briles files an emergency motion to substitute council. Briles also gave warning that he is positioned to sue Baylor and Pepper Hamilton. Read McCann's (one of the top sport attorneys in the nation and writer for SI) article this morning.

But, perhaps you all knew this, its new to me. Check this out:

For his part, Briles contends that Baylor essentially tricked him into believing that the university’s attorneys were also his attorneys in developing a defense against Hernandez’s lawsuit. According to Briles, in April 2016 he met with Doug Welch, an attorney in the office of Baylor’s general counsel, and Lisa Brown, an attorney from Houston. Briles insists that Welch and Brown assured him “they represented him” and were “looking after his interests in all respects.” They then asked him questions about Hernandez’s allegations and related topics, and Briles volunteered “extensive personal information” to the two attorneys. Briles further asserts that the attorneys have made several court filings and public statements on his behalf without his consent, and used text messages and emails that Briles had turned over to them to help Baylor justify ousting him.​

Thanks for posting that. I like reading the McCann stuff as he takes no sides. But, the big difference is our BOT released an obviously bullshit report. Their BOR isn't releasing squat because it was an oral report.

So Briles files an emergency motion to substitute council. Briles also gave warning that he is positioned to sue Baylor and Pepper Hamilton. Read McCann's (one of the top sport attorneys in the nation and writer for SI) article this morning.

But, perhaps you all knew this, its new to me. Check this out:

For his part, Briles contends that Baylor essentially tricked him into believing that the university’s attorneys were also his attorneys in developing a defense against Hernandez’s lawsuit. According to Briles, in April 2016 he met with Doug Welch, an attorney in the office of Baylor’s general counsel, and Lisa Brown, an attorney from Houston. Briles insists that Welch and Brown assured him “they represented him” and were “looking after his interests in all respects.” They then asked him questions about Hernandez’s allegations and related topics, and Briles volunteered “extensive personal information” to the two attorneys. Briles further asserts that the attorneys have made several court filings and public statements on his behalf without his consent, and used text messages and emails that Briles had turned over to them to help Baylor justify ousting him.​

I dunno about being about being one of the top "sport attorneys" in the nation, but here is an interesting citation from McCann's biography:

"In 2004, McCann served as counsel to college football star Maurice Clarett in his NFL eligibility lawsuit. Clarett v. NFL is considered one of the most important cases in sports law history."

For those unfamiliar, Clarett lost that lawsuit

I dunno about being about being one of the top "sport attorneys" in the nation, but here is an interesting citation from McCann's biography:

"In 2004, McCann served as counsel to college football star Maurice Clarett in his NFL eligibility lawsuit. Clarett v. NFL is considered one of the most important cases in sports law history."

For those unfamiliar, Clarett lost that lawsuit

three years ago, I attended a sport law symposium at harvard sponsored by McCann. After that symposium, I posted about CTE. I stated it was going to be YUGE (Trumpism) and people said I was nuts. Three years later, it has fundamentally changed the game, is changing equipment, and threatens the core of the game.

It was also attended by just about every major team's general council. PED's, unions, ownership, fan organizations all attended. I was invited by a retired co-founder of IMG. It was a fascinating day and I can tell you that McCann was revered by just about everyone there.

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
At the risk of bursting the bubble by Obli, the Baylor issue is NOT similar to Penn State's issues.

What both Penn State and Baylor are experiencing is something very common in a corporate setting - the corporation (organization) comes before the individual, and corporations will sacrifice anyone they feel they need to for the "greater good". I am seeing this happen in my corporation right now on two levels. It's sad and disappointing.

The lesson is this: No one person should ever consider themselves secure or "protected". The more you have to lose, either financially, prestige, ownership options, etc. the more you have to do to protect yourself. Any legal matter that comes up - get your OWN counsel immediately, and DO NOT meet with any attorney without your own counsel present.

At the risk of bursting the bubble by Obli, the Baylor issue is NOT similar to Penn State's issues.

What both Penn State and Baylor are experiencing is something very common in a corporate setting - the corporation (organization) comes before the individual, and corporations will sacrifice anyone they feel they need to for the "greater good". I am seeing this happen in my corporation right now on two levels. It's sad and disappointing.

The lesson is this: No one person should ever consider themselves secure or "protected". The more you have to lose, either financially, prestige, ownership options, etc. the more you have to do to protect yourself. Any legal matter that comes up - get your OWN counsel immediately, and DO NOT meet with any attorney without your own counsel present.

Agree and disagree. Fact is, these guys make a ton of money on their "brand". If they are fired, no problem as long as it follows the letter of the contract. However, if the University slanders that coach, that's a different story. Now the university has impeded the guy's ability to make money in alternative employment. As such, the coach has a path to file suit against his former employer for hurting his/her image. If Baylor doesn't release the foundational information relative to the Pepper Hamilton report, Briles can sue because the university slandered him without foundation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT