ADVERTISEMENT

This is it for me

lionsnphils

Sep 20, 2008
I have been on these boards since Plotit. I spend a lot of time reading the board but rarely post.
Anyhow, today is my last day as I am retiring from public ed. Spent the last 10 years as an elementary principal.
I'm excited but there are many things I am going to miss.

I always promoted PSU. I had the banner "Believe deep down that you are destined to do great things- Coach Joe Paterno" hanging in the office.
I had a couple of books, "When I grow up I want to be a Nittany Lion" and a children's book about the game day experience that I would read to students.

Elementary teachers have many different cues that they implement to gain students' attention or to signal for transition. Our one teacher wanted me to see the new one she taught her class. She said "We Are" and all the kids replied "Penn State".

One year Sec of Ed Rivera visited our school and one of the students drew a picture and gave to him. The picture said, "We are Penn State"

One year for Principal Appreciation Day, the staff gave me tickets to a game.

Lots of good memories.

Congrats on a wonderful career in public education. I grew up with many of family members in public education and my fiancé is currently in public education as well. The sacrifices you all make, the time you take, and the patience you have for our young minds is greatly appreciated. Best of luck in all your future endeavors!

I have been on these boards since Plotit. I spend a lot of time reading the board but rarely post.
Anyhow, today is my last day as I am retiring from public ed. Spent the last 10 years as an elementary principal.

I always promoted PSU. I had the banner "Believe deep down that you are destined to do great things- Coach Joe Paterno" hanging in the office.
I had a couple of books, "When I grow up I want to be a Nittany Lion" and a children's book about the game day experience that I would read to students.

Elementary teachers have many different cues that they implement to gain students' attention or to signal for transition. Our one teacher wanted me to see the new one she taught her class. She said "We Are" and all the kids replied "Penn State".

One year Sec of Ed Rivera visited our school and one of the students drew a picture and gave to him. The picture said, "We are Penn State"

Lots of good memories.
Great post, wish you much good cheer as you move into retirement. Be careful, though, make sure you have things to do. It has been almost 60 years since graduation and i never developed any hobbies other than my business. I tried that thing they call golf, bought a nice set of clubs and after just a few rounds realized back to work was easier and less stressful than this thing they call golf. Enjoy the good life!!!!!

Lots of good memories.
Awesome. "We'll take it from here @lionsnphils!" Enjoy retirement. You helped shape many people's lives and instilled within them "success with honor". Those are timeless ideals that should never be abandoned.

Don't be a stranger!

Lots of good memories.
Still have the same quote hanging in my family room. Retired in 2009 after 37 years as a teacher,
coach and AD. Still consulting for 18 schools in athletics. Congratulations. We all entered this walk of life to have a positive impact. When I got out of the classroom I missed being in daily contact with the students.
Please accept my wishes for a happy, healthy and long retirement.
Most folks have no idea the time commitment required of any administrative position. Unfortunately, many of those hours come at the expense of family time. May you have the opportunity to "pay back."

Lots of good memories.
Good for you, but don’t be so adamant. Now that you’ve retired you’ll have plenty of free time. Hopefully you’ll recant and become another mean, miserable old person that tells stories of ancient times and haunts the board just like many of us do. God bless you.

Good for you, but don’t be so adamant. Now that you’ve retired you’ll have plenty of free time. Hopefully you’ll recant and become another mean, miserable old person that tells stories of ancient times and haunts the board just like many of us do. God bless you.
If you aren't a grumpy old man, you're dead.

Congratulations, lionsnphils. Now you will have ample time to enjoy this Board, and perhaps even make a foray onto the Test Board. LOL ...

Thanks All
I guess my title was misleading in that I’m not leaving the board but meant leaving pub Ed

Covid burned me out
I have a part time job lined up- and my wife got me a Kayak for Christmas so those are some of my plans
I work with a lot of district superintendents and they are retiring asap.....all COVID burnouts.
So many vacancies that they can collect their pensions and come back as interims and cash in.

Lots of good memories.
giphy.gif

Reactions: marshall23
Congrats on the retirement!

High school teacher here with 5-10-12 years left depending on the day : )

Covid wreaked havoc in all facets of life- but will likely leave its biggest stain on education.

Kids lives were altered, and despite best efforts there are basic educational and social building blocks that students missed or didn't get the full benefit of learning in a classroom environment. I've never had so many referrals to Guidance for emotional issues or depression (just got one 15 minutes ago and am meeting with the kid and his parents tomorrow), and kids still haven't returned to pre pandemic engagement. It will take awhile for all of this to sort itself out- and I'm sure as a Principal you found yourself in what must have felt like a proverbial shit storm game of whack-a-mole.

There also is the "Sandwich Effect" where anyone close to retiring is doing so and younger teachers who are less than 5 years in were quitting because it just was an awful way to earn a meager living the past few years. That will lead to significant staffing problems in the short term and more down the road. The only people who are definitely staying are those in the middle who are "trapped" and have no other choice or career leverage with significant commitments like mortgage. family/ kids in college etc. Everyone is burned out- and there is no magic wand to heal. I looked at other options very hard last year and my wife and I almost sold our house and boogied but didn't. The state of this profession is sad.....

There will likely be a way for you to "double dip", especially if you are near a border state so that you can max your pension and also make a hefty salary in another state. Around me many retire in PA and then work in DE (or vice versa), often with a shorter commute. You know who those guys are because they are the ones with the biggest smiles! A former colleague retired after 35 years in Delaware with a full pension and got hired in PA at a $30,000 RAISE! Dude was ecstatic : ) One of our Principals retired in PA and has been an Assistant Principal in DE for 10 years.... hitting one of their big pension breaks.....hopefully you can bank some cash for a beach house or mountain cabin for your kayaking fun times.

Maybe you get to see more Phillies baseball live this year as you can maybe stay out later on weeknights? Should be a good year at the Ballpark. I do recall your post about your staff giving you tickets. That would not have been even remotely possible where I have been, and speaks volumes about your character and the respect they had for you. I'm sure you earned those seats.

Looking forward to joining you on the PSERS retiree wagon- but I'm not ready to go just yet.....I'm doing well and the kids keep me young!

Godspeed.

Great post. All the best to you in your retirement. I too was an elementary school principal and have so many fine memories. Enjoy your retirement years with much happiness and good health.

Reactions: bison13
Great post, wish you much good cheer as you move into retirement. Be careful, though, make sure you have things to do. It has been almost 60 years since graduation and i never developed any hobbies other than my business. I tried that thing they call golf, bought a nice set of clubs and after just a few rounds realized back to work was easier and less stressful than this thing they call golf. Enjoy the good life!!!!!
Fishing poles can help with retirement maybe

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
Fishing poles can help with retirement maybe
There are a few fishing clubs near State Cillege that I've researched that also have cabin accommodations. They aren't cheap...but if you have some extra coin or are willing to do a side hustle can definitely make a PSU Football weekend into a super one (win or lose....)

Congrats on the retirement!

High school teacher here with 5-10-12 years left depending on the day : )

Covid wreaked havoc in all facets of life- but will likely leave its biggest stain on education.

Kids lives were altered, and despite best efforts there are basic educational and social building blocks that students missed or didn't get the full benefit of learning in a classroom environment. I've never had so many referrals to Guidance for emotional issues or depression (just got one 15 minutes ago and am meeting with the kid and his parents tomorrow), and kids still haven't returned to pre pandemic engagement. It will take awhile for all of this to sort itself out- and I'm sure as a Principal you found yourself in what must have felt like a proverbial shit storm game of whack-a-mole.

There also is the "Sandwich Effect" where anyone close to retiring is doing so and younger teachers who are less than 5 years in were quitting because it just was an awful way to earn a meager living the past few years. That will lead to significant staffing problems in the short term and more down the road. The only people who are definitely staying are those in the middle who are "trapped" and have no other choice or career leverage with significant commitments like mortgage. family/ kids in college etc. Everyone is burned out- and there is no magic wand to heal. I looked at other options very hard last year and my wife and I almost sold our house and boogied but didn't. The state of this profession is sad.....

There will likely be a way for you to "double dip", especially if you are near a border state so that you can max your pension and also make a hefty salary in another state. Around me many retire in PA and then work in DE (or vice versa), often with a shorter commute. You know who those guys are because they are the ones with the biggest smiles! A former colleague retired after 35 years in Delaware with a full pension and got hired in PA at a $30,000 RAISE! Dude was ecstatic : ) One of our Principals retired in PA and has been an Assistant Principal in DE for 10 years.... hitting one of their big pension breaks.....hopefully you can bank some cash for a beach house or mountain cabin for your kayaking fun times.

Maybe you get to see more Phillies baseball live this year as you can maybe stay out later on weeknights? Should be a good year at the Ballpark. I do recall your post about your staff giving you tickets. That would not have been even remotely possible where I have been, and speaks volumes about your character and the respect they had for you. I'm sure you earned those seats.

Looking forward to joining you on the PSERS retiree wagon- but I'm not ready to go just yet.....I'm doing well and the kids keep me young!

Godspeed.
At one point I considered going to MD for a couple of years after I retired in PA but not interested after burning out. I am going to teach part-time at one of the prisons.

The mental health issues are really bad and the waiting lists, at least in our area, are so long.

I plan on getting back into hunting and fishing.

Tomorrow I am going provide lunch for my former staff. Taking the grill and going to make burgers and dogs. Had a great staff.

Our school has a many disadvantaged kids.

The father of a PSU alum in last years Super Bowl went to our school. (I graduated HS, with his father) The kids were so excited when I told them that.

Thanks All for the well wishes

At one point I considered going to MD for a couple of years after I retired in PA but not interested after burning out. I am going to teach part-time at one of the prisons.

The mental health issues are really bad and the waiting lists, at least in our area, are so long.

Tomorrow I am going provide lunch for my former staff. Taking the grill and going to make burgers and dogs. Had a great staff.

The father of a PSU alum in last years Super Bowl went to our school. (I graduated HS, with his father) The kids were so excited when I told them that.

Good luck with the fishing and prison work.

A major regret I have is that I didn't trout fish even 1 day during the first Covid Spring. I played the "responsible guy" and gutted out what turned out to be a major circle jerk. Shoulda just gone fishing....

As a 19 year high school teacher I have unfortunately spent a lot of time in juvenile and adult prisons visiting incarcerated students and former students. While I've never been responsible for teaching them, I've gone as a private citizen and not a representative of my school, it is something I too have thought about as a retirement job. Maybe someday. It definitely is a labor of love, and fortunately for me I have yet to "normalize" any visit inside. It's a different world.

My grandmother was an Assistant Warden at the Greenwich Village Women's Prison. She said she was never hassled because she treated everyone with respect.

Somehow my respect for you grew with one post. Exhale. You deserve it.

Saw the title and thought you were dying! Glad to hear you earned a great retirement. Teaching in prisons would be an awesome thing to do with your background. Not an easy thing to do.

Whatever path you follow, hope it is a wonderful journey.

Reactions: lionsnphils

Hunting and fishing is great. When I had first retired on a Friday, I immediately began teaching at a private school the next Monday. I felt like I had to have something as my "next thing" and wanted to give back through teaching. Well, I did everything from teaching 6 different preps daily, working the STEM club after school, taking over the bridge building team, and becoming the high school baseball coach. I left pretty much zero time for me.

After 2 years I decided to actually retire and finally take some time for me. Turns out I really liked it and the flexibility that I have had was absolutely needed in the last part of my mom's fight against cancer when my dad couldn't transfer her anymore and now after my dad had a stroke (3 months after mom passed). We've also been back and forth on 8-hour trips 3 times over the holidays as my mother-in-law declined and after a stint in the hospital when she went into a skilled nursing place. At any rate, I'll get back to more of my hobbies after dad is more independent. Sometimes life has a way of filling your retirement time for you and when you have the opportunity, don't wait on the things that you enjoy- travel, outdoor activities, family and friends, continuing to learn and grow, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT