ADVERTISEMENT

To tell you how times have changed (1962 Gator Bowl Florida v. PSU)

bcspsu

Jun 2, 2001
I'm currently reading a book about the Florida Gators football history, and I came upon an interesting tidbit from the 1962 Gator Bowl played between Florida and PSU. In that game, PSU was 9-1 and heavily favored. Florida actually wore helmets that had the Confederate Battle Flag on them because they were playing a Northern school. Unfortunately, they upset PSU 17-7. The only photo that I could download is attached.

• Wow
Reactions: Obliviax
In 1962 Florida was a Southern state. With all the transplants over the years, it’s now a Northern state. ;)

Reactions: brupsu
I'm currently reading a book about the Florida Gators football history, and I came upon an interesting tidbit from the 1962 Gator Bowl played between Florida and PSU. In that game, PSU was 9-1 and heavily favored. Florida actually wore helmets that had the Confederate Battle Flag on them because they were playing a Northern school. Unfortunately, they upset PSU 17-7. The only photo that I could download is attached.

Interestingly that is the only bowl game Rip Engle lost. He was 3-1. Would have hoped for more than 4 bowl games in 16 seasons though.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Interestingly that is the only bowl game Rip Engle lost. He was 3-1. Would have hoped for more than 4 bowl games in 16 seasons though.
After I read the section in the book about that bowl game, I looked up Rip Engle's all time record at PSU, which was 104-48-4. Thus, he was very successful and put the program on really solid footing, which Paterno took to another level. I guess that there just weren't a lot of bowl games when he coached PSU.

Reactions: brupsu and psu1969a
Engle winning basically a smidge more than two out of every three games wouldn't appease Penn State fans. His winning percentage was .679 as an Indpendent. Franklin's winning percentage at Penn State is .693 in the Big 10 and fans calling for his head.

Engle winning basically a smidge more than two out of every three games wouldn't appease Penn State fans. His winning percentage was .679 as an Indpendent. Franklin's winning percentage at Penn State is .693 in the Big 10 and fans calling for his head.
Are you really comparing CFB in the 1950s with today?
Also, JVP, over 46 yrs, had a win percentage of .749, which included the dark years...so if you want to try to play a comparison game, Joe in his prime (which JF is currently in), was probably close to .100 better.

Now, FTR, this isn't me making a judgement on JF, but your attempt to use Rip Engle as a defense of JF doesn't rate.

Also, JVP, over 46 yrs, had a win percentage of .749, which included the dark years...so if you want to try to play a comparison game, Joe in his prime (which JF is currently in), was probably close to .100 better.

Now, FTR, this isn't me making a judgement on JF, but your attempt to use Rip Engle as a defense of JF doesn't rate.
Shall we compare apples to apples?
Joe Paterno coaching record as a Big 10 member 162-69-0 .701
James Franklin coaching record as a Big 10 member 88-39-0 .693

Reactions: FlyinLion1

Do you expect coaches after Paterno to actually win more than Paterno?

Ps. Nobody got raped in the showers while jf was coach.

• Angry
Reactions: psu1969a

Must have been that southern speed

• Haha
Reactions: psu1969a
Someone was assaulted probably rated but not Paterno's fault. Do people think it makes Paterno look better if they pretend nothing happened? I'd so, why? He did exactly what he needed to

I don't know wtf you are trying to say (at least before any edit).

Nobody got raped in the showers. Period.

Do you expect coaches after Paterno to actually win more than Paterno?

Ps. Nobody got raped in the showers while jf was coach.
Wow. You were the one making dumb comparisons...and then you went THERE, which was uncalled for and completely unrelated to the point of the post.

I don't know wtf you are trying to say (at least before any edit).

Nobody got raped in the showers. Period.
My phone autocorrect raped to rated--if you have any intelligence you'd have figured that out
Were you there? There was an assault in the shower and possibly rape.
You falsely believe if Sandusky was determined to be not guilty it would change something but it's irrelevant to how people view Paterno. Those that believe he did something wrong, AGAIN HE DIDN'T, still would say he was told and didn't do enough.
Sandusky is a pedophile. Accept that. The fact a single Penn State fan argues this is why Paterno's reputation will never recover until that group dies off.

My room mate and I hitch hiked from Pitts to Jacksonville for this game. Took only 3 rides to get to Jacksonville but took 28 hrs to get back. What a waste. David Robinson played in that game. Florida had confederate flags on their helmets .

Personally, I am happy with his overall record, my problem is the seeming inability to play with Michigan and Ohio State. I would think 18-40 should be a hell of a lot better than what it is. It’s getting frustrating that the Buckeyes beat us like a dead horse EVERY year.

Reactions: joeaubie21
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT