*Joey Cruz loses 10-8 Participating in the Fr./So. and not the open
Brady Koontz over #20 Jack Medley 5-3 @125
*Seth Shumate wins 9-5 @197 Participating in the Fr./So. and not the open
*Luke Geog wins 16-0 @197 Participating in the Fr./So. and not the open
Nolan of Michigan beats Jordan Decatur 6-4 @141
Paddy Gallagher beats Daniel Segura 6-3 @157
Ed Ruth wins 19-2 @174
NOTE: Marc Anthony McGowan is wrestling at 133 today
McGowan drops a 6-4 overtime decision to Angelo Rini of Columbia. A RT point got Rini into overtime
Nick Molchak of Cleveland State wins over Joey Cruz @125 2-0 in the Fr./So. division No longer Blue-Chip
Kurt McHenry defeats teammate #20 ranked Jack Medley 5-4 @125. New Starter??
Jesse Mendez wins by 2nd period fall over Cody Moosman of Cleveland St. while leading 17-4

Verkleeren wins over Nini 1-0. Will wrestle Sam Hillegas in the Semis
Marc-anthony McGowan wins by fall in 33 seconds over Erik Roggle
Ed Ruth over Darian Roberts of Oklahoma via 4-2
Paddy Gallagher wins over Jaxon Garoutte by 12-5
Mekhi Lewis and Peyton Hall both forfeited their semi-final matches
Lucas Byrd over Wyatt Henson 8-3 to reach the finals.......most likely against Jesse Mendez
Jesse Mendez over Haiden Drury 5-0 to reach the finals against Lucas Byrd
#12 Heinselman defeats teamate Brady Koontz 7-3 to reach the finals @125
#11 Joey Prata needed a rideout in overtime to defeat Benny Gomez 2-1 @125. In the finals.
Paddy Gallagher tech Falls #21(@149) Corbyn Munson by 19-3. Impressive match
Ed Ruth loses to #6 Ethan Smith via 3-1 score. Solid performance by Ruth
Luke Geog defeats teammate Seth Shumate by 5-1 to win the Fr./So. Division @197
#8 Gavin Hoffman needed overtime to defeat HM Evan Bockman of Utah Valley 6-4
Ed Ruth wins his Consi-Semi by tech fall 15-0
#12 Heinselman Defeats #11 Joey Prata 5-3 to win the tournament
Jesse Mendez takes out #5 Lucas Byrd 3-2 to take First Place. The kid is for real.
Ed Ruth takes 3rd place with a 3-1 overtime victory against Darien Roberts of Oklahoma
Jarod Verkleeren drops his Semi-final match to Sean Hillegas by 3-1
HM Paddy Gallagher loses in the finals to fellow HM Trevor Chumbley of Northwestern in overtime 5-3
Marc-anthony McGowan pinned Logan Heil of Campbell at the 2:57 mark
Marc-anthony McGowan loses to Sam Latona of Virginia Tech 6-2. Not a bad showing for the High Schooler
Kaleb Romero defeats Michigan's new 184 pounder Matt Finesilver 12-5
#16 Zach Braunagel pins #8 Gavin Hoffman in 4:20 to win the 197 lb. title
#3 Mason Parris put a whoopin' on #15 Josh Heindselman, Oklahoma 12-1
Jarod Verkleeren takes 3rd place with a 8-3 victory over Jayden Scott of North Carolina
Michael Beard wins his first match with Lehigh 9-6 over Tanner Harvey of Oregon State
Paniro Johnson Defeats #3 Austin Gomez 9-4 @149...... Wow
#4 David Carr defeats #6 Dean Hamiti 7-5 @ 165
Casey Swiderski defeats #11 Joe Zargo 10-5 @ 141
#18 Kysen Terukina defeats #6 Eric Barnett 9-7 in overtime @125
Zach Redding defeats #12 Taylor Lamont 10-4 @133

Sunday's Interesting results:

Jax Forrest defeats Jimenez of Edinboro 18-2
Meyer Shapiro defeats Cymmeran of Pitt 20-2
Jax Forrest defeats Espalin of Navy by pin @4:05 while leading 4-0
Meyer Shapiro defeats Worthing of Clarion by 18-2
No Phillippi, Matthews or Bonaccorsi at Clarion today. Also No Anthony Noto of Lock Haven @ Princeton
Jax Forrest with another pin in the first period over West of GWU while leading 4-1. Impressive Jax will wrestle #10 Matt Ramos of Purdue next
Meyer Shapiro Defeats Shickel of Clarion 13-3. Shapiro had over 5 min. of riding time and 6 pts. from turns
Jax Forrest lost to Matt Ramos by tech fall 17-2
Meyer Shapiro wins by tech fall over Saito of Brown 17-2

Pat Glory won his last two matches 6-5 and 11-9 against unranked opponents. He looked tired
Meyer Shapiro takes first place with a first period pin over Tyler Badgett of Pitt. He is for real :)
Jax Forrest takes 3rd place with a 16-5 win over Aiden Lewis of Edinboro. Impressive showing by the 9th grader

Last edited:
Strange, but Ohio St. pulled both Kharchala and Hepner from the MSU Open while all of their other starters are there

I watched Beard's bout against Oregon State today. He got taken down in 5 seconds. Bang. But he worked back in a very Beard-ish way, and won 8-5, I think. But it was within a point (plus RT) late in the 3rd. He didn't gas.

Once he got started he looked good with his counter-attacks. The announcers mentioned that it looked very Penn State-like. And it did.

Pitiful showing by Wisconsin all around. All their AAs lost (though one of them was Hamiti to Carr)

Rowley the only bright spot for them beating Gaitan.

Weird seeing the two dudes who beat Haines recently (Gaitan, Mesenbrink) 2 and 1 weight class higher than him now.

Weird seeing the two dudes who beat Haines recently (Gaitan, Mesenbrink) 2 and 1 weight class higher than him now.
I don’t take much stock in high school results anymore. So many of these big tournaments and all star events have different weight in rules. Anything with day before weight ins are nothing but a good old fashioned OK ST cutting competition.

ISU looked incredible last night, their young guys are going to make some noise and Coleman just keeps getting better at 184. Maybe he can knock on the door of the "tier 2" of Keck and Hidlay behind Brooks.

ISU looked incredible last night, their young guys are going to make some noise and Coleman just keeps getting better at 184. Maybe he can knock on the door of the "tier 2" of Keck and Hidlay behind Brooks.
I'm not optimistic about that, but Marcus has worked himself into a very solid guy and definite team leader. I hope he goes into coaching someday.

Reactions: Grass and hlstone
Went to MD for their quad meet with Bloomsburg, Duke and American.

MD went 3-0 and has 2 sets of brothers that all looked pretty good, their 125 Brown wrestled well.
I was really impressed with American, they beat Bloom and Duke and their kids wrestled pretty aggressive.
Duke was bad.

Duke has a stalling call go against them vs MD. He was defending a shot and MD kid had leg up in air, the Duke kid was not trying to get out of bounds, just hopping on one foot and ref dinged him.

Reactions: Creek Side
Iowa State vs Iowa can be interesting
125 - ISU +3 (no Spencer)
133 - Toss Up
141 - Iowa +3 (Swiderski is talented but Woods is the savvy vet)
149 - ISU +3 (I'm taking the guy who just handled Gomez over Murin)
157 - Toss Up (Don't know much about either starter)
165 - ISU +3
174 - Iowa +3 (Gaitan is good but very reliant on big moves, I'll take Swafford)
184 - ISU +3
197 - Toss Up
285 - Iowa +4 (Cass stalled this guy out last year but beating Hillger is impressive, he might not give up bonus at all)

ISU 12
Iowa 10

I would argue the 2 of the tossups favor Iowa State also. Redding just beat Lamont handily, Yonger has the most recent win (though he managed to stay off bottom) I don't know anything about either teams 157 but ironically that could decide the dual.

Reactions: backdrft76
Kid’s impressive but let’s pump the brakes a bit. People on social media are already talking about him challenging for the title. Come on, now.
He could make a run at DeSanto's title. You know, by far the 3rd best 133 pounder in the country.

Reactions: hlstone
Iowa State vs Iowa can be interesting
125 - ISU +3 (no Spencer)
133 - Toss Up
141 - Iowa +3 (Swiderski is talented but Woods is the savvy vet)
149 - ISU +3 (I'm taking the guy who just handled Gomez over Murin)
157 - Toss Up (Don't know much about either starter)
165 - ISU +3
174 - Iowa +3 (Gaitan is good but very reliant on big moves, I'll take Swafford)
184 - ISU +3
197 - Toss Up
285 - Iowa +4 (Cass stalled this guy out last year but beating Hillger is impressive, he might not give up bonus at all)

ISU 12
Iowa 10

I would argue the 2 of the tossups favor Iowa State also. Redding just beat Lamont handily, Yonger has the most recent win (though he managed to stay off bottom) I don't know anything about either teams 157 but ironically that could decide the dual.
I wonder if the meet will start at 133. A loss to Iowa State wouldn't help HR morale.

Several hundred dollars at the Pitt hotel at Midlands ... and then you don't get whacked.
giphy.gif

Went to MD for their quad meet with Bloomsburg, Duke and American.

MD went 3-0 and has 2 sets of brothers that all looked pretty good, their 125 Brown wrestled well.
I was really impressed with American, they beat Bloom and Duke and their kids wrestled pretty aggressive.
Duke was bad.

Duke has a stalling call go against them vs MD. He was defending a shot and MD kid had leg up in air, the Duke kid was not trying to get out of bounds, just hopping on one foot and ref dinged him.
So, Tarnishedsilver?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT