ADVERTISEMENT

2021-2023 Transfer Portal news

Status
Not open for further replies.
No I wrestled S Rechsteiner at 167 Dec 1981 Dual at UofM W 4-1
and then at 1981 Midlands at 167 W 12-0

Two Unscripted but entertaining matches !

Ran into him at a youth tournament in Georgia years back. Nice guy, I think his son did very well in HS wrestling in GA
Did you go up a weight and did he drop a weight. He competed 190 most of his career

I’m confused. The video said brother who also wrestled was Rick (?). Was Rob, the suspiciously super-jacked heavy, a brother too? Or did I misunderstand the narrator? I remember my roomie fearing wrestling Rob c. ‘83-‘84.

Last edited:
I’m confused. The video said brother who also wrestled was Rick (?). Was Rob, the suspiciously super-jacked heavy, a brother too? Or did I misunderstand the narrator? I remember my roomie fearing wrestling Rob c. ‘83-‘84.
Robbie Rechsteiner the real person is Rick Steiner the Dog Faced Gremlin.

Reactions: PSU Mike
I keep jumping over here with eager anticipation of each fresh post, like an idiot! Only to find a continuing string of nonsensical banter.

I'm not sure if you are aware but Hammer167 wrestled for Penn State in the 1980s. We were commenting on Scott Steiner the pro wrestler who competed at University of Michigan by his real name Scott Richensteiner

Reactions: mcpat
I'm not sure if you are aware but Hammer167 wrestled for Penn State in the 1980s. We were commenting on Scott Steiner the pro wrestler who competed at University of Michigan by his real name Scott Richensteiner
My jab was not targeting a specific post, but.....

Crap, that means he is my age and can kick my ass.

Who knows. I really believe Steen is making strides but it isn't showing up on the mat in terms of won-loss record. You just can't make up for the fact that you have a great kid with a great work ethic and good talent, but he's a 118 pounder...it is what it is.
Like I have said before most of these D1 kids are state champs from somewhere. Steen is by all accounts undersized, but 2 more years in the room, and 7 pounds doesn't turn a non-qualifier into someone who will generate tangible points at nationals. This sport is incredibly hard and there are 4-5 distinct levels of talent, with the lowest level being kids who were all legends at their highschools. Despite the work ethic, heart, grit and determination that Steen shows, along with his 2x PA state championships, much like the growing list of 125 'room guys' that have dug deep and maned the starting piston admirably since Suriano, if Gary made the blood round down the road, that would be an incredible achievment, certainly worthy of praise. I don't see him getting there but would love to be surprised. I enjoy watching him wrestle and sooner or later he is going to take out a ranked kid. We will all cheer for him in that moment, maybe a little louder than for the other guys. For those of you who want 10 AAs on this team, only a healthy Robbie can deliver that, and I view his healthy return for a full season as less than a 50% proposition. I don't think our fortunes change much at 125 until Lilledahl or later if we don't get him. Some of the others in the pipeline seem more like 133s to me, we'll have to see.

Like I have said before most of these D1 kids are state champs from somewhere. Steen is by all accounts undersized, but 2 more years in the room, and 7 pounds doesn't turn a non-qualifier into someone who will generate tangible points at nationals. This sport is incredibly hard and there are 4-5 distinct levels of talent, with the lowest level being kids who were all legends at their highschools. Despite the work ethic, heart, grit and determination that Steen shows, along with his 2x PA state championships, much like the growing list of 125 'room guys' that have dug deep and maned the starting piston admirably since Suriano, if Gary made the blood round down the road, that would be an incredible achievment, certainly worthy of praise. I don't see him getting there but would love to be surprised. I enjoy watching him wrestle and sooner or later he is going to take out a ranked kid. We will all cheer for him in that moment, maybe a little louder than for the other guys. For those of you who want 10 AAs on this team, only a healthy Robbie can deliver that, and I view his healthy return for a full season as less than a 50% proposition. I don't think our fortunes change much at 125 until Lilledahl or later if we don't get him. Some of the others in the pipeline seem more like 133s to me, we'll have to see.
I think Braeden Davis will step in next year and deliver a few wins at nationals. It's a step up at least.

Reactions: District four
The entire discussion of the lack of a 125 or a 125 curse is simply the whining of a spoiled fanbase. We haven’t had significant points at NCAAs since Nico’s Senior Year in 2016. Yet, we’ve won 4 out of the 5 titles and this year should make 5 out of 6 without points from 125, which is 83%. (Knock on wood).

If we win 83% of the titles and NEVER get points from 125, I’m ecstatic.

Last edited:
The entire discussion of the lack of a 125 or a 125 curse is simply the whining of a spoiled fanbase. We haven’t had significant points at NCAAs since Nico’s Senior Year in 2016. Yet, we’ve won 4 out of the 5 titles and this year should make 5 out of 6 without points from 125, which is 83%. (Knock on wood).

I don't expect a world beater but atleast someone who is competitive with lesser talented wrestlers. Maybe he will be competitive later,who knows. But he was a Pitt commit. I'll still root for him.

I think that reaction is a bit hyperbolic. I don't think anyone is insinuating this has had any relation to hamstringing the team at nationals so to speak. I do think it is interesting that the best program in the nation hasn't been able to land a backup who can even deliver a .500 record in most of the years since Suriano. Likewise, many keep saying that Steen is 'going to be fine'. Great hard working kid yes, but I question the definition of fine. Finally topics like this is ultimately what these boards are about. We have oodles of kumbaya threads not to mention how many acknowledge how truly blessed we are to be PSU fans in this era. Most threads are indeed filled with gratitude including from yours truly.

"Whining" isn't the right word. We think like Cael. If there's a flaw, even if it's just one, what can we do to fix it? I don't think anyone here doesn't appreciate the success this program has had despite the lack of a 125 hammer.

"Whining" isn't the right word. We think like Cael. If there's a flaw, even if it's just one, what can we do to fix it? I don't think anyone here doesn't appreciate the success this program has had despite the lack of a 125 hammer.
I believe thinking like Cael is also practicing gratitude, of which he so often speaks. Focusing on what we do have and not what we don’t. Of course, one can work to improve simultaneously.

Whining is the right word.

What else do we have to whine about?
Did someone say wine?

giphy.gif

125 and 197 are the 2 toughest weights to recruit long term when looking to fill a roster . Will a kid stay at 125 for 4 years or grow out of it. Just the opposite at 197. Does a solid big kid fill out and move up? I doubt the Cael and Co. envisioned Bo going up to 197 when he was recruited.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
In the last two years, Rutgers national champ 1A (Suriano was first because his weight class happened to wrestle before AA's) left the program to wrestle at Michigan; national champ 1B left the coaching staff and the SKWC to wrestle elsewhere; two guys who showed a lot of promise fell off tremendously; the head of the SKWC left; now Alverez leaves. But there's not a problem in Piscataway - the program is still "headed in the right direction". Cue the swirling motion.

In the last two years, Rutgers national champ 1A (Suriano was first because his weight class happened to wrestle before AA's) left the program to wrestle at Michigan; national champ 1B left the coaching staff and the SKWC to wrestle elsewhere; two guys who showed a lot of promise fell off tremendously; the head of the SKWC left; now Alverez leaves. But there's not a problem in Piscataway - the program is still "headed in the right direction". Cue the swirli

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT