ADVERTISEMENT

TV ratings have been great this season

PA college fan

Jun 26, 2001
Through the first 8 games, TV ratings have been excellent, and about as expected for PSU. Indiana game ratings aren't finalized. PSU had no 1 or 2 rated games for 33% of season so far (3 of 9 weeks)--quite an accomplishment with all the hype for SEC! PSU against a good opponent with some hype is a TV magnet. Whiteout against a better opponent would have gotten better ratings than Minnesota. I think we will go back to Whiteout with stronger teams, as money talks.

PSU had total 29.45 million viewers over 8 first games, averaging 3.6 million per game. I believe PSU had fourth highest ratings last yr.

No 1 for Auburn wk 3 (4.05M), No 1 for OSU game wk 9 (8.2 M), No 2 for Michigan wk 7 (6.45M), No 7 for Purdue wk 1 Thurs night (3.5M) were the highest

No 17 for Central Mich (0.6M), No 12 for NW (1.6M), No 6 for Minnesota whiteout (3.5M), No 10 for Ohio (1.55M).

Just imagine what the ratings will be when we start winning the big games, ?2023 and have Heisman candidates (pleural) soon.

www.sportsmediawatch.com

Through the first 8 games, TV ratings have been excellent, and about as expected for PSU. Indiana game ratings aren't finalized. PSU had no 1 or 2 rated games for 33% of season so far (3 of 9 weeks)--quite an accomplishment with all the hype for SEC! PSU against a good opponent with some hype is a TV magnet. Whiteout against a better opponent would have gotten better ratings than Minnesota. I think we will go back to Whiteout with stronger teams, as money talks.

PSU had total 29.45 million viewers over 8 first games, averaging 3.6 million per game. I believe PSU had fourth highest ratings last yr.

No 1 for Auburn wk 3 (4.05M), No 1 for OSU game wk 9 (8.2 M), No 2 for Michigan wk 7 (6.45M), No 7 for Purdue wk 1 Thurs night (3.5M) were the highest

No 17 for Central Mich (0.6M), No 12 for NW (1.6M), No 6 for Minnesota whiteout (3.5M), No 10 for Ohio (1.55M).

Just imagine what the ratings will be when we start winning the big games, ?2023 and have Heisman candidates (pleural) soon.

www.sportsmediawatch.com

Fox Big Noon has potentially killed the prime time whiteout against the marquee home opponent.

Fox Big Noon has potentially killed the prime time whiteout against the marquee home opponent.

Penn State canceled the white out, not Fox. Call for a white out whenever the biggest games are played. No one will stop you.

Penn State canceled the white out, not Fox. Call for a white out whenever the biggest games are played. No one will stop you.

Poor reading comprehension from the Wolverine. Penn State doesn't get to dictate that a game be a prime time evening kickoff just because they declare it a white out.

Reactions: bison13
I’m sure NBC will be getting their share of marquee games in the prime time window going forward which will be plenty of opportunity for evening Whiteout games vs top opponents.

Reactions: psuno1 and bison13
I’m sure NBC will be getting their share of marquee games in the prime time window going forward which will be plenty of opportunity for evening Whiteout games vs top opponents.

From my understanding of the new contract, NBC is getting 3rd choice in that new rotation. Fox will still pick 1st, CBS 2nd. I didn't see anything about rotation of choice.

From my understanding of the new contract, NBC is getting 3rd choice in that new rotation. Fox will still pick 1st, CBS 2nd. I didn't see anything about rotation of choice.

No details that granular have been released, but that's almost certainly not true just based on the amount of money paid by each network. My impression is that FOX gets first choice of weeks first, but that CBS and NBC will also get first choice in other weeks.

My guess is that FOX gets first pick half the weeks and CBS and NBC each get first choice in 1/4 of the weeks.

UM-OSU will go first. After that you could have PSU-OSU, PSU-UM, or a big out of conference game for any of the top 3 teams. We'll also have to factor in USC and UCLA too. So it's possible in a year where UM or OSU have a big out of conference game a PSU matchup could slip to #3 and land in the NBC primetime coverage slot for a Whiteout. But if PSU's top game is selected 2nd most years we'll be in CBS's afternoon slot.

No details that granular have been released, but that's almost certainly not true just based on the amount of money paid by each network. My impression is that FOX gets first choice of weeks first, but that CBS and NBC will also get first choice in other weeks.

My guess is that FOX gets first pick half the weeks and CBS and NBC each get first choice in 1/4 of the weeks.

"Fox landed the Big Ten’s premier package of games, which it will carry in the noon ET window. Starting in 2024, CBS will broadcast a Big Ten game at 3:30 p.m. ET, followed by a Big Ten game on NBC in primetime. Fox has increased its number of top selections in the football games draft in addition to maintaining the first overall selection for the next seven years; Fox will also broadcast four Big Ten championship games during the term."

Sounds like Fox will have multiple top match-ups at a higher rate than they split with ESPN. Through all of that, they ended up with all 3 match-ups involving us, OSU and Michigan and Texas/Bama in the noon slot.

I could be wrong, but I don't see them letting anything slip.

"Fox landed the Big Ten’s premier package of games, which it will carry in the noon ET window. Starting in 2024, CBS will broadcast a Big Ten game at 3:30 p.m. ET, followed by a Big Ten game on NBC in primetime. Fox has increased its number of top selections in the football games draft in addition to maintaining the first overall selection for the next seven years; Fox will also broadcast four Big Ten championship games during the term."

Sounds like Fox will have multiple top match-ups at a higher rate than they split with ESPN. Through all of that, they ended up with all 3 match-ups involving us, OSU and Michigan and Texas/Bama in the noon slot.

I could be wrong, but I don't see them letting anything slip.

This. Maaaaaybe the addition of USC skews things slightly, but the majority of our games with UM/OSU/USC are going to end up as Big Noon on Fox unless they fall on a weekend where USC is playing OSU or UM (we'll never play USC the last game of the season so there isn't a chance for an OSU/UM game to benefit us in this regard).

The only real hope would be if the knowledge that we won't do a noon whiteout makes a game less attractive and Fox passes (unlikely).

Reactions: lazydave841
This. Maaaaaybe the addition of USC skews things slightly, but the majority of our games with UM/OSU/USC are going to end up as Big Noon on Fox unless they fall on a weekend where USC is playing OSU or UM (we'll never play USC the last game of the season so there isn't a chance for an OSU/UM game to benefit us in this regard).

The only real hope would be if the knowledge that we won't do a noon whiteout makes a game less attractive and Fox passes (unlikely).
Is USC really going to get the noon slot? That's 9 AM local time for them, I'd think there are provisions for the west coast teams to avoid noon games.

Is USC really going to get the noon slot? That's 9 AM local time for them, I'd think there are provisions for the west coast teams to avoid noon games.

Pac-12 has had 9 am games featuring USC previously.

ADVERTISEMENT