ADVERTISEMENT

U.S. Swimming

ryoder1

Feb 17, 2007
Have we slipped versus the world or is it my imagination? Especially the men.

For the men, don't expect another Michael Phelps but do we even have an individual gold?

For the women, Katie Ledecky is great at the 1,500 meter and should win the 800 meter but besides that the Australian women clearly dominate us.

From watching the races, my observation is that we fade the last 50 meters, no closing speed.

We are clearly in a down period. Swimming has spread worldwide with a lot of athletes training at US universities and clubs. Australia is clearly on top right now. They've always been good but now China is a third power.

We are clearly in a down period. Swimming has spread worldwide with a lot of athletes training at US universities and clubs. Australia is clearly on top right now. They've always been good but now China is a third power.
Agree. I think what has happened with the world is exactly what you wrote, many of our foreign competitors are training in the U.S. France's Marchand, who has four golds in men's swimming, is trained by a U.S university coach and I believe Michael Phelps is close with Marchand and gives advice.
I think the U.S. mens team is a bit older. Hopefully by 2028, a strong younger group will emerge.

Have we slipped versus the world or is it my imagination? Especially the men.

For the men, don't expect another Michael Phelps but do we even have an individual gold?

For the women, Katie Ledecky is great at the 1,500 meter and should win the 800 meter but besides that the Australian women clearly dominate us.

From watching the races, my observation is that we fade the last 50 meters, no closing speed.
Even in a “down” Olympics, the USA has won the most swimming medals, and the country that has won the second most, Australia, isn’t even close.

Also, many of these swimmers from other countries swim for USA colleges and/or are trained in the USA. Therefore, at the very least, they’re taking advantage of our training techniques.

Agree. I think what has happened with the world is exactly what you wrote, many of our foreign competitors are training in the U.S. France's Marchand, who has four golds in men's swimming, is trained by a U.S university coach and I believe Michael Phelps is close with Marchand and gives advice.
I think the U.S. mens team is a bit older. Hopefully by 2028, a strong younger group will emerge.
I get the fact that many of the foreign competitors come to train and compete in U S. universities. Thst still doesn't explain how are own home grown talent is not better. Just watched men's 100 Fly, not one American in finals. Didn't Phelps dominate this race for years?

Hopefully Ledecky beats the Aussie, Titmus, in the 800 today.

I get the fact that many of the foreign competitors come to train and compete in U S. universities. Thst still doesn't explain how are own home grown talent is not better. Just watched men's 100 Fly, not one American in finals. Didn't Phelps dominate this race for years?

Hopefully Ledecky beats the Aussie, Titmus, in the 800 today.
The US Women's team seems to have more young rising swimmers than the men. 2028 is four years away and it will be interesting to see the progressions.

Women's 200 IM. Canadian McIntosh beats both American women, Walsh and Douglass, who were 2nd and 3rd. Walsh then DQd for her backstroke turn. This was her her only event. Tough one.

• Sad
Reactions: mhlarch
Katie Ledecky wins the 800 meter freestyle! Paige Madden gets 3rd, Aussie Titmus 2nd. Great race by the Americans! Madden had a personal best by 5 seconds, almost beat Titmus.

BIG WIN for the Americans to win the mixed 4 x 100 meter medley relay! Just beat the Chinese. Aussies third.

Swimming gold medal count Aussies with 7, U.S. with 6.

BIG WIN for the Americans to win the mixed 4 x 100 meter medley relay! Just beat the Chinese. Aussies third.

Swimming gold medal count Aussies with 7, U.S. with 6.
Overall swimming medal count, US 25 Aus 16.

Some great performances. Some very disappointing but the Aussies only cared about the gold count and we gave them a hell of a run
One more day left with good chances for gold in both medley relays. The gold count is not done yet.

Root for the US and Sjostrom (favorite) in the 50 free. Then it’s the Men’s 1500 with Bobby Finke with a chance to defend his gold and no Aussies with a chance - then the last 2 relays.

The piano is on Australia’s back with the meet coming to an end

Reactions: LandoComando
Bobby Finke when he "won" the silver said "it just means I'm the first loser"--that's the mentality that you want to see because that's going to motivate them. Even in the interview after he said he was pissed about the 800M so he went out and set a world record. Kudos to him.

Take that Australia. Us women end with WR
Rather than worrying about keeping up with big brother, Australia should worry about being passed in swimming for the number 2 spot; their male swimmers practically were invisible in these Olympics.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT