ADVERTISEMENT

U20 and U23 Trials Thread

CSauertiegPSU

Staff
Oct 9, 2013
Handful of Penn State wrestlers expected to be in action, particularly at U20 which is highlight by Robbie Howard, Levi Haines and Alex Facundo. Facundo will sit to the best of 3 finals at 74kg, while Haines makes the move back down to 70kg after competing at 74 at the US open.

Last edited:
Even though he has to get through the bracket AND then take 2 of 3 from the guy who won the US Open, I would not be surprised at all if Haines finds himself on the U20 team.

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
Notable Names (just in my opinion) in the brackets of our guys:

U23 65KG - Jordan Decatur, Clay Carlton, Gabriel Tagg, Josh Saunders, Kyle Parco, Cole Matthews, Ridge Lovett

Junior 57KG - Richie Figs, Nate Jesuroga, Troy Spratley, Cooper Flynn, Spencer Moore, Jore Volk, Andre Gonzales

Junior 70KG - Cody Chittum, Hunter Garvin, Jordan Williams, Caleb Rathjen, Caleb Henson

Junior 74KG - Aiden Riggins, Derek Fields, Nicco Ruiz (much lesser field than last year which had Keegan, Hamiti, Ramirez)

Junior 79KG - Rocco Welsh, James Rowley, Brayden Thompson, Matt Singleton

It is actually crazy the class disparities.

In juniors, we have:
A guy who's been in the room two years (Howard)
A guy who's been in the room one year (Facundo)
A guy who just graduated HS (Haines)
A guy who has one more year of HS (Barr)

It adds up, it's been said before but Howard is young for his grade, Barr is probably a bit old for his.

I was wondering how many years Howard missed with injuries I spose this is his last year of Jrs, so he must have missed 2 years. I know he made 3 strait cadet WT’s

Stinkin injuries

I was wondering how many years Howard missed with injuries I spose this is his last year of Jrs, so he must have missed 2 years. I know he made 3 strait cadet WT’s

Stinkin injuries
Back to back years of shoulder surgeries unfortunately. We were very cautious with him clearly since it was implied he probably could have started hitting opens by January (possibly even wrestling the season originally, thus no need for transfer)

He was definitely a bit rusty (and the cut is apparently somewhat tough, he'll get that under control for the season) But I couldn't be more excited about his potential this upcoming season (125 is open after Spencer and Glory)

Back to back years of shoulder surgeries unfortunately. We were very cautious with him clearly since it was implied he probably could have started hitting opens by January (possibly even wrestling the season originally, thus no need for transfer)

He was definitely a bit rusty (and the cut is apparently somewhat tough, he'll get that under control for the season) But I couldn't be more excited about his potential this upcoming season (125 is open after Spencer and Glory)
Is Vito going 133 next season?

Christian Carroll wins Greco at 97kg. Will probably double up like Amos did last year. Amos ended up wrestling both styles at worlds as well. I’ve seen in the past someone winning both spots but only competing in freestyle at worlds. Doing both has to be incredibly difficult. The toll on your body would be immense. Also, Pierson Manville lost in the best 2 of 3 finals in greco. Following in his brother’s footsteps I guess and he is also going to do freestyle tomorrow. Those Manville boys have never shied away from testing their skills. Always down to wrestle and usually both styles. Pretty awesome to see. Not many top kids do both styles anymore or at least not on this level. Hunter Garvin also made the finals but lost. He is headed to Stanford next year.

Some of the seeding here is crazy. No idea how Jordan Williams is seeded ahead of Haines

Barr just teched Milano from NC State…10-0

Takedown and 3 laces. Then a blast double to end it.

Almost gave a point to Milano for hands to the face, but the ref changed it to a first warning.

Last edited:
What did the mat ref try to give Milano 1 point for? I had to walk out.

Bartlett and Robert Howard in the hole…mats 6 and 13 respectively.

(edit: I’m too slow)

Reactions: diggerpup
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT