ADVERTISEMENT

U23 Worlds

zzs006

Mar 27, 2017
U23’s are coming up soon. Definitely not the best US team but Vito, David Carr, Starocci, Hidlay, and Cassioppi should do well. Iran seems to be sending a very strong team with Javan, Baby Yaz, Firouzpour, Arizipa, Yari, and Masoumi. I’m very interested in Masoumi vs Big Cass. Cass should do better than the high school kids Masoumi has demolished but I would still favor the massive Iranian after watching him at U20’s. Cass is the defending U23 champion though so it should be a great match if it happens.
CStar has a tough weight but I think he comes out on top. KOUGIOUMTSIDIS (GRE) is the senior level European champ and Yari is the defending U20 champion. Avagyan and Ashirov are both guys who can medal as well.
Vito has the Japanese star Abe who beat him in the 2019 U20 finals. Horst Lehr who beat Gilman earlier this year might be the favorite however and Javan from Iran is extremely talented as well.
Overall, the US isn’t sending its best team it could assemble but with college wrestling about to start I’m not surprised plus this tournament has never seemed like a priority for the US. I’ll still be watching especially to see Starocci back up his talk about being the best in the world. Should be fun

I thought Yanni was going to attend? That certainly would have made the team way tougher

Good article, thanks for sharing. Goodness, Japan's women just keep bringing out the hammers at these events.

I sure hope I'm wrong, but I don't think Cass has a shot at keeping it close with Masoumi - that guy is really, really good.

Of course it does. Does it mean it wasn’t completely delicious in my 20s after a show and a night full of beer in the strip district or something. Something is lost in every other location but that one though.
breaking-bad-walter-white.gif

Reactions: 82bordeaux
Very nice of Primanti's to pay for Matthews to eat far superior food in Galicia.

• Haha
Reactions: PASLP2
Thread took a turn for sure. We have a world champion on her way towards history and you guys talk about drinking and eating in Pittsburgh

Elor drew a senior world bronze medalist in her 1st (and quarterfinal) match. The frenchwoman managed to get 2 points exposure (to Amit’s 9) before giving up the fall on a whipover.

It was a weird scramble but I don't think Elor gave up 2 there.

She does the same thing every time and opponents have to know what's coming by now, but there's nothing they can do to stop her from doing it.

Thread took a turn for sure. We have a world champion on her way towards history and you guys talk about drinking and eating in Pittsburgh
I don't really understand your point. I'll buy her a Primanti's sandwich when she makes history. Although as she is only like 17, she has to suffer and eat it sober. 🥇 ;)

Thread back on track.

Wraps up both arms, breaks down for the two, easily finds a far side cradle and there's barely a struggle. :35.

Reactions: creamery freak
Do you all think Amit has just insane strength, or is there technique here that could translate to any wrestler? The way she traps the elbows and just bulldozes people to the mat is so impressive--I know--it's probably a fuzzy combination, but I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone do what she does--definitely not to the same success.

The Iranian drew Israel in the 1/8 round. So, Carter won’t be seeing him.
That Iranian is the senior level silver medalist that Burroughs beat I believe. Nokhodi actually lost to Burroughs at the past 2 worlds. Would have probably been the favorite to win the tournament or at least make the finals.
Baby Yaz gets to wrestle this tournament and draws Talgat first match. Should be a really great match. Yayha on the top of the bracket would possibly see the winner of baby Yaz vs Talgat in the semis.
David Carr has fairly easy quarter but should see Iran in the semis. Firouzpour was U23 runner-up last year
Big Cass and Masoumi are opposite sides of the bracket so hopefully meet for a huge finals. Masoumi has to be the favorite even though Cass is the defending champ.

Do you all think Amit has just insane strength, or is there technique here that could translate to any wrestler? The way she traps the elbows and just bulldozes people to the mat is so impressive--I know--it's probably a fuzzy combination, but I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone do what she does--definitely not to the same success.
I think it's a bit of both. She's stronger than probably everyone she's faced, even at the senior level, and those breakdowns don't work if someone is stronger than you, but she also knows what to do when she gets you down, and she's good in scrambles--she's never lost out there when things get weird, which is rare, but still. At the same time, she's not really athletic, and it's hard to pinpoint why anyone would say that but her footwork, while not clumsy, doesn't feel natural, it feels more learned and earned.

ADVERTISEMENT