ADVERTISEMENT

U23 Worlds

starts at 7:50. opponent tries to pat him on the shoulder and he shoves him away. also made a scene by refusing to let the ref hold his hand which is the official procedure. was given an attention by the judge for this. then as they walk to the corner he shoves his opponent again. all this playing out over two minutes. not a spur of the moment burst of bad judgment, but an extended temper tantrum.

no lol just no. if that was a hawkeye you would see it for what it was. you never shove your opponent like that after the match when they're trying to show you respect.

i'm referring to his consistent disrespect displayed towards opponents. before this, it was typically in interviews or social media posts. first example was him calling labriola unathletic. another was when he talked about how unimpressive burroughs and marstellar were. i think he had another during the michigan dual that he came off as a jerk in.

like i said. love his skillset. dislike his persona. very similar to gilman when he was a hawk except now i don't have to swallow my distaste and root for him (unless he's representing USA).

"starts at 7:50" "playing out over two minute" ::links video::

8:50 long o_O

Just watched it. Wasn't nearly as dramatic as you portrayed. Yeah...he was upset and bummed, but he did shake hands twice, but didn't want consoling from the dude...similar to how a few guys reacted after getting stuck by Bo.

Do I wish he handled it a bit better...yep. But come to think of it...maybe Terry Brands could sit him down and talk with him, and explain how to lose with dignity. Whaddya think?
Yeah the "help them up after pinning them" thing Bo did in 2019 I was not remotely a fan of and never defended it either.

Reactions: hlstone and danoftw
Honestly it’s time for her to start climbing the weights. Go 53kgs. Japan can just have their other young phenom Fujinami go to 50kg. Id like to see that match. Or Susaki vs Japans Olympic gold medalist at 53kgs. Their depth is insane. I remember Adeline Gray saying she thought we could “maybe” compete with the Japanese THIRD team lol.

Reactions: Idahopennstatefan
Seen where Carter said he plans on winning the Olympics at 74kgs?! My god he’ll be sucked down. Not having that 79kg class sucks.

Trent Hidlay came back from a 6-0 deficit to beat Gholami (Iran) 15-6. Hidlay did it with an underhook (ironically against an Iranian) and conditioning. His first takedown was a 4 that got challenged to a 2.

Trent Hidlay came back from a 6-0 deficit to beat Gholami (Iran) 15-6. Hidlay did it with an underhook (ironically against an Iranian) and conditioning. His first takedown was a 4 that got challenged to a 2.
Hey Tikk!
Anyone coming up soon?

Altshuler (ISR) was looking throw, went straight to his back, was probably pinned but ref took his time. Then a gut by Cass to make it 6-0. Added a snatch single, then an easy go behind off a weak shot to end it.

Hidlay is in the hole on Mat C. It'll be interesting to see what's left in the tank after that tough opener, having to come up again so soon.

Reactions: hlstone
Hidlay opened with a hip toss for four and did just enough to avoid being put on the clock, added two step-outs to move on, 6-0 over Karypbaev (KGZ).

Carr looked good, trading takedowns before adding three guts to his second, winning 12-2 over Santiago (PUR).

Last edited:
Big Cass getting killed in the first. 12-4 at break. Does not look good at all. Teched early in the second! Wow. I hate saying these things but he looked really bad

Reactions: danoftw
Nagao and Cass both go down, Cass likely to be pulled back in. Nagao kept finding himself in the same upper body situation and gave up points every time. Didn't see the Cass match.

Honestly it’s time for her to start climbing the weights. Go 53kgs. Japan can just have their other young phenom Fujinami go to 50kg. Id like to see that match. Or Susaki vs Japans Olympic gold medalist at 53kgs. Their depth is insane. I remember Adeline Gray saying she thought we could “maybe” compete with the Japanese THIRD team lol.
After she wins 4 weights in 4 years, then she can start getting younger.

Someday I may be a free convert. I enjoy it but will forever lobby against a single lace move dictating the victory or ending the match outright with a 10 point sequence.

Limiting any one move to 6 points max. will go a long way towards fixing it. First Zain now Carter. This list is long for team USA men, women all ages.

I didn't see the match but the PBP certainly seemed to indicate Carter was the aggressor, succeeded on more offensive attacks. It's brutal to try and overcome an 8 point hole from one move. I just don't like it.
totally agree no one should get back points when the guy is nowhere near his back!

Reactions: Str8DBLz
Hidlay into the semis with a 6-0 win
Carr in a really great match against GEO but he comes up short 3-3 on criteria. Carr challenging as he almost had a td at the buzzer. Carr was in on a bunch of attacks but the Georgian had amazing defense. Carr loses challenge and it’s 4-3 GEO

I was walking and watching. Carr learned an important FS lesson, and that's sitting on a 3-2 lead and ditching your offense is recipe for disaster. Georgia wrestler shut his offense down too in the second, knowing he was going to score in short time.

just shake hands and walk off like the rest of your team has no problem doing. it’s not a high bar
JS I have to admit when you're right you're right.

Carter has more confidence that possibly every other wrestler in the country right now. Usually he backs it up, and one must learn to contain that energy and properly channel it both in victory and defeat. Cael teaches humility and being grateful, and I am sure Carter will learn from this match, what he did right and wrong during and after the match.

Now when it becomes a pattern, especially with multiple wrestlers in the same program, then you have an indication there is a deeper problem. When a program continuously exhibits poor sportsmanship from multiple wrestlers over a period of time, you can develop a reputation. A reputation that is well deserved, and a stain on the sport. It's not uncommon for those feeling shame project those feelings on others. Hopefully you don't live in a glass house.

Carter Starocci is an ace. The reason he is a 2x champion is a direct testament to his maniacle focus, dedication, hard work, confidence, and... the chip on his shoulder. None of the wrestling pundits in the country saw him winning a championship as a freshman except for his team mates, coaches and himself. As for your outrage and what Carter did, you are grasping at straws.

As for 'compelling' video evidence of a legitimate pattern of very poor behavior on the mat, I have it and it ain't pretty!

Repent my friend and you will be healed.

just shake hands and walk off like the rest of your team has no problem doing. it’s not a high bar
It's not like anyone who is an Iowa fan can really know what a high bar is or what the standard is for how someone acts in defeat....wait yes they do we will take it under consideration lol. Have a great Saturday JS just messing with you

Carr out as his quarter's opponent forfeits in the semi's. Nagao pulled back in at 61 kg.

Cardenas into the finals with a 8-0 win!! His Georgian opponent won bronze at the 2022 worlds. He has also won the Kolov and Nikola Petrov and took silver at the pellicone. Huge win by Cardenas. Will face Firouzpour from Iran in the finals who is the 2022 U20 champion. Another tough match

Last edited:
Cardenas onto the finals, beating Maisuradze (GEO, and Sr bronze medalist) 8-0. He scored his first point on a step-out while he was on clock in the first. Followed it up with another step-out, and 3 doubles near the edge.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT