ADVERTISEMENT

Up next Ohio State, and a few thoughts!

Just another PSU Fan

Jan 25, 2013
Is there a bigger story in wrestling? PSU v Iowa in Carver Hawkeye Arena?? #1 v #2? Brands v Sanderson? Do you think you've heard enough opinions by now? Thought so, I'll keep my comments to myself ...

DId anything else even happen over the weekend? Oh yeah, OK State loses twice - Iowa State & Northern Iowa swept the state of Oklahoma - and Gable mauled Parris once again ...

Since I turned off the 2pm match of Md vs Mich to watch the NFL, I missed the Brucki loss --- Md lost a team point in that win at 197?!

A few young Lions got some wins at the Mat Town, not sure the level of competition was worth the keystrokes I'm using though ... '

PSU with 2 home matches this weekend, great for the out of town fans who travel! Hoping for good weather as I travel to the match on Friday night!

I haven't seen a match in person since B1G at Rutgers - I'm so ready to yell and scream!

What's the hot match on Friday night? Does PSU come out sluggish after 2 brutal Friday night matches? Which matchup are you looking forward to watching?

125 is the hot match for me --- Heinselman had a very impressive win against Ayala, Hilde got the backup at Iowa - I like this match to kick off the Friday night action!
184 is always a must watch, Aaron Brooks is so smooth! Romero has an A game that won't back down!

Is there an upset waiting to happen?? Will Brady or Beau sneak a WIN against Kharchla or Sasso?

It's a WHITEOUT - wear white!!

In the big picture scheme of things, Ohio State will not challenge us or any of the top teams this year. Great recruiting will bring a more talented team to the mat in the near future, but this year ain't it. Looks like 8 tOSU guys can earn a trip to NCAA's, and a top-10 finish is very likely in 2022, but total points appear to top off at 60 or so possible.

As far as Friday's dual, tOSU's horses are at 149, 165, 174, and 184. Those four weight classes look like a split at best for the Buckeyes. PSU a big favorite at 133, 141, 197 and 285. If all starters go, on paper it looks like a rout.

Given how he performed last year against Sasso I was really expecting Beau's match this year to be a close one. At least that was my view at the end of the year knowing he was getting a full year of prep up at 149.

Maybe this will be his breakout match, but more likely not. He wrestles like he has no confidence whatsoever from neutral. The talent is there but the mind, not yet.

That Single last year was so dang sweet. That is probably still the best move he has had against a top 15 kid to date. At least we have that.

Sasso is so funky and hard to finish against, keeping it within 2-3 points is a pretty tall order.

I would be thrilled if we see Beau get off three solid shots, and screw the score. Is that to much to ask?

The Bartlett break-though bout will come, though this Friday may not be it. Getting out from bottom will be one aspect I'll be looking at.

Transitive property means nothing, though here's a fact -- Murin took Sasso to the brink, only losing when Sasso had a late takedown in the third, while Bartlett's Friday loss to Murin was only out of reach when Murin himself scored a late takedown in the 3rd.

The Bartlett break-though bout will come, though this Friday may not be it. Getting out from bottom will be one aspect I'll be looking at.

Transitive property means nothing, though here's a fact -- Murin took Sasso to the brink, only losing when Sasso had a late takedown in the third, while Bartlett's Friday loss to Murin was only out of reach when Murin himself scored a late takedown in the 3rd.
Transitive property is WS‘s bread & butter.

Transitive property is WS‘s bread & butter.
It's really not. Remove the names, and just use the ratings numbers, and WrestleStat will still work. And we all know the ratings numbers are math. Maybe you can go to the Wrestlestat thread to keep your thoughts going so we don't clutter this thread.

Reactions: Sullivan
Speaking of this weekend, I will be checking off a bucket list item . I got tickets for Nebraska match. My daughter who is a law student at PSU got them for me.
Are there any recommendations for where wrestling crowd will be pre and post match.
Also what's recommended for parking?
Thanks

Speaking of this weekend, I will be checking off a bucket list item . I got tickets for Nebraska match. My daughter who is a law student at PSU got them for me.
Are there any recommendations for where wrestling crowd will be pre and post match.
Also what's recommended for parking?
Thanks
Honestly, if you're reasonably ambulatory, parking in town on College Ave or somesuch and walking up the hill on burroughs is probably your best bet. They have a massive new parking deck on west campus, but its pricey (get the prepaid pass before the day of if you can), and the walk is probably about the same to Rec Hall as from town.

Not sure about pre/post match libations for a Sunday afternoon dual. Federal Tap House, Local Whiskey, maybe Bill Pickles would be places I'd consider.

Honestly, if you're reasonably ambulatory, parking in town on College Ave or somesuch and walking up the hill on burroughs is probably your best bet. They have a massive new parking deck on west campus, but its pricey (get the prepaid pass before the day of if you can), and the walk is probably about the same to Rec Hall as from town.

Not sure about pre/post match libations for a Sunday afternoon dual. Federal Tap House, Local Whiskey, maybe Bill Pickles would be places I'd consider.
Sadly (fellow fan-wise), yet excitedly (for the bride and groom), we are heading out of town Friday after the match returning Sunday morning. Best we (Mrs. Roar and me) can handle is something AFTER Sunday's dual. Any get-togethers? 82bordeaux? others?

Last edited:

Reasonably ambulatory lol. As in bi pedal locomotion

This. Been doing this for years. Even when parking was free in the campus garage and large West lot across the street. While we get a bit of exercise, it was mostly to avoid the very long queue leaving the deck or lot post meet. As an added bonus, street parking downtown has surprisingly been free on the last couple of Sunday duals.

Sadly (fellow fan-wise), yet excitedly (for the bride and groom), we are heading out of town Friday after the match returning Sunday morning. Best we (Mrs. Roar and me) can handle is something AFTER Sunday's dual. Any get-togethers? 82bordeaux? others?
I'm just going to be there Friday night. We are most likely at Local Whiskey after the match. Beforehand is up in the air. I could see Pickles/Doggies as the most likely. Could probably do Federal Taphouse too. I'll be in town by 2:00PM Friday.

my son has his end-of-the-year tournament Sunday, even making Nebraska is a bit in question for me. May be looking to hang Sunday night though.

I'm just going to be there Friday night. We are most likely at Local Whiskey after the match. Beforehand is up in the air. I could see Pickles/Doggies as the most likely. Could probably do Federal Taphouse too. I'll be in town by 2:00PM Friday.
Let us know for beforehand, we are shooting to hit town about 5

I may skip this one.. or put it on a 2nd screen while I watch something less gruesome , like the later scenes in Hostel. This one will be like watching varsity vs JV.
125: Will be low scoring, but Sarah's brother will win scrambles and the match.
133: If I were Cael, I would let RBY eat this week and go with a backup.. the backup would probably win anyway. Our 133 for long term plans was Decatur, but he grew out of the weight class and we are left with back ups. I like Koonz, has heart, but cant compete in folk vs the elite guys.
141: tech
149: Will be close again, then Sammy will decide to ride out a period and win 4-2 or 4-3. I like Bartlett a lot, but his weakness has been bottom. He'd be a good Buckeye.
157: I'll go with the home team guy in a 1 takedown match.
165: Will be close. Berge looked gassed last week, so Carson wins with a 3rd period TD. Last points for my team for the night.
174: Ethan Smith has been a guy that has progressed in the room over his career, but Starocchi is the wrestling equivalent of the 85 bears defense. Also, expect Starocchi to ride out for a period or at least enough to get RT point.
184: 1 TD match till 3rd when Brooks hits a re-attack and then rides out for a 6-2 win.
197: tech
285: tech or pin.

Honestly, the over-under on total takedowns for my team will be 3.
Sammy will get one, and Carson will probably get 2. Thats it.

I may skip this one.. or put it on a 2nd screen while I watch something less gruesome , like the later scenes in Hostel. This one will be like watching varsity vs JV.
133: If I were Cael, I would let RBY eat this week and go with a backup.. the backup would probably win anyway. Our 133 for long term plans was Decatur, but he grew out of the weight class and we are left with back ups. I like Koonz, has heart, but cant compete in folk vs the elite guys.
149: Will be close again, then Sammy will decide to ride out a period and win 4-2 or 4-3. I like Bartlett a lot, but his weakness has been bottom. He'd be a good Buckeye.
165: Will be close. Berge looked gassed last week, so Carson wins with a 3rd period TD. Last points for my team for the night.
174: Ethan Smith has been a guy that has progressed in the room over his career, but Starocchi is the wrestling equivalent of the 85 bears defense. Also, expect Starocchi to ride out for a period or at least enough to get RT point.
184: 1 TD match till 3rd when Brooks hits a re-attack and then rides out for a 6-2 win.

Brutal honesty from a Buckeye. Look at the positives Dar, tOSU has the firepower to make noise at NCAA's, not for a trophy maybe, but top-10.

Reactions: hlstone

With Berge wrestling the second wrestler ever to beat Marinelli in a dual meet wrestling match, we’ll get to see if he just got Carvered, like many have before him. I hope like hockey sticks he bounces back with a strong showing. It’ll be a tough one for him for sure.

Yet another tough one for Beau. He’s gonna be great and these matches will help him get there quicker.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkFan1986
Brutal honesty from a Buckeye. Look at the positives Dar, tOSU has the firepower to make noise at NCAA's, not for a trophy maybe, but top-10.
Hey, I was at Ohio State for most of the 1990s and I remember the days when we had, basically, a club team competing in the ncaa's.
So, everything over the past 10 years (or whenever Steiber hit campus) has been "playing with house chips" for me. The fact that my team went 1-3-2-2-2 in 5 consecutive nationals is like giving me pocket aces to play with those house chips.

Would really love to see Berge bounce back this week with a strong performance. In particular, hope to see some improvement in the gas tank. Kharchla is tough as Hell and if the matchup is still undecided in the 3rd, I’m content with that.

Weather might be a bit tricky getting into town on Friday afternoon. Hoping the forecast is wrong, but not looking good.

Reactions: backdrft76
Given how he performed last year against Sasso I was really expecting Beau's match this year to be a close one. At least that was my view at the end of the year knowing he was getting a full year of prep up at 149.

Maybe this will be his breakout match, but more likely not. He wrestles like he has no confidence whatsoever from neutral. The talent is there but the mind, not yet.

That Single last year was so dang sweet. That is probably still the best move he has had against a top 15 kid to date. At least we have that.

Sasso is so funky and hard to finish against, keeping it within 2-3 points is a pretty tall order.

I would be thrilled if we see Beau get off three solid shots, and screw the score. Is that to much to ask?
He did not get a full year prep at 149. He wrestled 65kg in freestyle and that was his focus through the fall.

Even Top 5 may be within reach. Intermat rankings have them only 1.5 pts behind #5 Okie St, and that is with Ferrari as champ. If he doesn’t make it back healthy . . .

Hey, I was at Ohio State for most of the 1990s and I remember the days when we had, basically, a club team competing in the ncaa's.
So, everything over the past 10 years (or whenever Steiber hit campus) has been "playing with house chips" for me. The fact that my team went 1-3-2-2-2 in 5 consecutive nationals is like giving me pocket aces to play with those house chips.
Wrestling is in a much better place when you guys are humming and everyone knows that is coming much sooner rather than later!

This will be a very tough weekend for Bartlett. I kind of try to tell myself he has a chance against Lovett but I haven't seen anything that says that's a reality especially since he struggled to get out from under Max and Ridge is a much better rider.

Reactions: Ski
This will be a very tough weekend for Bartlett. I kind of try to tell myself he has a chance against Lovett but I haven't seen anything that says that's a reality especially since he struggled to get out from under Max and Ridge is a much better rider.

Lovett is much more willing to roll the dice, though.

He‘ll put himself in some positions to be countered. Will BB convert? Remains to be seen.

Lovett is much more willing to roll the dice, though.

He‘ll put himself in some positions to be countered. Will BB convert? Remains to be seen.
Lovett moved up to 149 from 133 at the beginning of last season. Always been a solid wrestler, but the reason I'm adding to your comments is that I watched his match with Diakomihalis earlier this season. It went to SV, and at one point in regulation I thought Lovett was going to win. He's in the conversation for a high AA finish. Another good measuring stick for Beau.

Austin Gomez was a 133 also, grew out of that weight and even retired for a bit then went to 149 and looks fantastic.

Got some blowback after making a comment during national duals that I was concerned about Beau getting out from under. I’ll be honest, I still am but I think as a team it’s been a weakness this year. Our guys can ride themselves so a lot of times it’s not as noticeable.

Got some blowback after making a comment during national duals that I was concerned about Beau getting out from under. I’ll be honest, I still am but I think as a team it’s been a weakness this year. Our guys can ride themselves so a lot of times it’s not as noticeable.
Thought about that for a second and remembered that the gopsusports stats contains a riding time chart. Hard to read because formatting is lost. The first number is each PSU wrestler's earned riding time point, the second is the opponent's.

DUAL RIDING TIME POINTS FOR/AGAINST
125: Drew Hildebrandt 3 1
125/133: Baylor Shunk 2 2
125: Jake Campbell 0 3
133: Roman Bravo-Young 4 0
133/141: Brandon Meredith 0 2
141: Nick Lee 6 0
149: Beau Bartlett 2 2
157: Tony Negron 1 2
157: Terrell Barraclough 0 3
157: Joey Blumer 0 2
165: Brady Berge 0 1
165: Creighton Edsell 5 2
174: Carter Starocci 5 0
184: Aaron Brooks 8 0
197: Max Dean 7 0
285: Greg Kerkvliet 5 1
TOTALS 48 21

Thought about that for a second and remembered that the gopsusports stats contains a riding time chart. Hard to read because formatting is lost. The first number is each PSU wrestler's earned riding time point, the second is the opponent's.

DUAL RIDING TIME POINTS FOR/AGAINST
125: Drew Hildebrandt 3 1
125/133: Baylor Shunk 2 2
125: Jake Campbell 0 3
133: Roman Bravo-Young 4 0
133/141: Brandon Meredith 0 2
141: Nick Lee 6 0
149: Beau Bartlett 2 2
157: Tony Negron 1 2
157: Terrell Barraclough 0 3
157: Joey Blumer 0 2
165: Brady Berge 0 1
165: Creighton Edsell 5 2
174: Carter Starocci 5 0
184: Aaron Brooks 8 0
197: Max Dean 7 0
285: Greg Kerkvliet 5 1
TOTALS 48 21
GULP….

Yeah, on the surface it looks pretty good for us but still think as a team we’ve had problems. I don’t think anyone is getting riding time on our 4 champs period. I think just because someone is given a riding time point that it doesn’t mean they are not struggling somewhat on bottom themselves. . That’s why I said our guys are so good on top it doesn’t matter as much or is as noticeable. Take Max. He may struggle to get out from bottom but if you ride a guy like Warner like he did it doesn’t matter. I know when I made the comment earlier this year about Bartlett, I was thinking he may have problems on bottom but his own skills on top negates that. Not sure if I’m making any sense with all that… lol

GULP….

Yeah, on the surface it looks pretty good for us but still think as a team we’ve had problems. I don’t think anyone is getting riding time on our 4 champs period. I think just because someone is given a riding time point that it doesn’t mean they are not struggling somewhat on bottom themselves. . That’s why I said our guys are so good on top it doesn’t matter as much or is as noticeable. Take Max. He may struggle to get out from bottom but if you ride a guy like Warner like he did it doesn’t matter. I know when I made the comment earlier this year about Bartlett, I was thinking he may have problems on bottom but his own skills on top negates that. Not sure if I’m making any sense with all that… lol
Kinda, sorta get what you are saying, though I haven't seen it enough to say it is any different than years prior. Younger guys, unless a wrestler is of Nolf-ability, have more trouble on bottom than seasoned wrestlers, generally, so again, not a whole lot different than in the past.

Both Max and Bartlett are up a weight from where they could be, so maybe that's a factor for them, and they're making adjustments. Max seems to do that better mid-match.

Your children, apparently, were like mine! One rule! Don’t schedule your weddings during football season girls!

of course, they did! The boys have a chance to be smarter than their sisters….not sure how that will go!

Z

GULP….

You r making sense.
At times I have caught myself thinking this would be a good week to do that thing where practice isn't over until you win a whistle start from the bottom.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
Your children, apparently, were like mine! One rule! Don’t schedule your weddings during football season girls!

of course, they did! The boys have a chance to be smarter than their sisters….not sure how that will go!

Z

Drop the hammer.

WOjy315.gif

Reactions: Mike Zierath
ADVERTISEMENT