ADVERTISEMENT

Up Next, Rutgers: Most intriguing matchup...

NittanyChris

Dec 3, 2001
Gonna be at this one live! Excited to watch the beatdown of the Jersey Boys. Not a whole lot of intrigue in this one, but I guess the most interesting one is Beau vs Olivieri. Olivieri is a talented youngster and has some nice wins recently including over D'Emilio and Cole Mattin. Beau has really progressed and I continue to believe his quickness is vastly underrated. I'll say Beau by 3.

What do others think? Predictions? How will it go?

WE ARE!!!

I see 9-1 PSU. Should be lopsided matches. Their best two wrestlers are 125 and 184. Peterson will win at 125 and their 184 Soldano though fun to watch likes to roll on his own back to make things happen, not gonna fly against Aaron.

I can see RBY sitting this one and wrestling the home dual on Sunday so maybe they pick up a win at 133 as well.

I'm being paranoid but after what happened at the RAC in 2018. Just win, avoid scramble situations involving joints and point out to the ref before the dual about face smacks.
Yeah. Bad memories. I was there that match and was sick after watching Jason’s match.

That being said..maybe I’m crazy but I feel like this years PSU team is the best I’ve ever seen in not getting caught with the dive rolls this year. It’s like they are anticipating it and capitalizing and many times putting them on their backs. This coaching staff never seems to amaze me.

Yeah. Bad memories. I was there that match and was sick after watching Jason’s match.

That being said..maybe I’m crazy but I feel like this years PSU team is the best I’ve ever seen in not getting caught with the dive rolls this year. It’s like they are anticipating it and capitalizing and many times putting them on their backs. This coaching staff never seems to amaze me.
Rutgers wasn't dirty last year in Rec but I think something about being at home in front of their crowd amps them up. They weren't there to wrestle at the RAC last time.

Interested in how Turley does since he hails from down where I'm at - Henrico, Va. I thought he had a good biigten/ncaa run his true freshman year. Heard of an injury...

Gonna be at this one live! Excited to watch the beatdown of the Jersey Boys. Not a whole lot of intrigue in this one, but I guess the most interesting one is Beau vs Olivieri. Olivieri is a talented youngster and has some nice wins recently including over D'Emilio and Cole Mattin. Beau has really progressed and I continue to believe his quickness is vastly underrated. I'll say Beau by 3.

What do others think? Predictions? How will it go?

WE ARE!!!
I think you throw out our C team because they are trash and they wrestle like trash especially against us. No injuries.

Hope it doesn't happen but the wrestling-turned-boxing-match several years ago is still in my memory banks (which is good news :)) and has no place in our sport. Refs didn't do a good job at all of stopping it early at that dual, but a result to incidents like this match were a point of emphasis for the refs and a rule change the following year.

Matter should be all over this thread with his preview and Rutgers insights.😉 Slow to the draw Matter?

Hope it doesn't happen but the wrestling-turned-boxing-match several years ago is still in my memory banks (which is good news :)) and has no place in our sport. Refs didn't do a good job at all of stopping it early at that dual, but a result to incidents like this match were a point of emphasis for the refs and a rule change the following year.
Good point. Also..that Rutgers team liked to play the "villian" roll..had a lot of guys that were dirty wrestlers..this Rutgers team though down this year seems like they have a bunch of good hardworking kids but no one I'd classify as dirty.

125..Peterson..solid kid, high recruit who I thought may AA this year until I saw him get beat down by Maryland
133..Heilmann..solid kid, NQ type
141..Olivera..solid kid, NQ type
149..White..had amazing rs year last year but really struggling this year
157..Clark..borderline NQ
165 Kannaird..same as above
174..Turley..past AA but since shoulder injury not the same
184..Soldano..super fun to watch but he rolls to his back to force action
197..Janzer..boring
285..McDermott..NQ type

I think they'll be improved next year if they can get Shawver (a solid 125 NQ last yr) and Poznanski (past AA who's in RS this yr) in lineup with Peterson and Soldano..

This aggression against Jersey will not stand, man
The Big Lebowski Film GIF by The Good Films

What are you talking about with boxing match?

w

where are you at... I went to Varina.
I'm in the west end in the Freeman school district. My son wrestled for DeepRun and I ran the Wildcat youth program for a bunch of years. Varina kids use to go up to Lyco camp with us when we took a large contingent from the area to Pa

Somewhat off topic, and wtf do I actually know anyway about what training is actually going on, what training should be going on, or how guys are feeling, but I have this vague unease about whether the 1 match per weekend thing that seems to be going on more this year will have guys ready for the multi match weekends of March.

Somewhat off topic, and wtf do I actually know anyway about what training is actually going on, what training should be going on, or how guys are feeling, but I have this vague unease about whether the 1 match per weekend thing that seems to be going on more this year will have guys ready for the multi match weekends of March.
The only guys who have done it have been RBY and Aaron..you worried about those 2 come March? Not me..

The NLWC members don't compete every week leading up to their events. The staff always has them ready to go deep.

Reactions: ccdiver and zzs006
What they actually have in March is multi-match days. When was the last time we sent starters to a tournament after Holiday Break? (Other than the occasional guy returning from injury who needed to get matches.)

Reactions: zzs006
I think our practices are harder then competition. Young guns needs reps in front of crowds. Probably a training through weekend coming up.

Anyone have an extra ticket for the Rutgers match? My schedule freed up and now I can go. Rutgers ticket office has tickets for sale, but thought I'd check here first. TIA.

The only guys who have done it have been RBY and Aaron..you worried about those 2 come March? Not me..
To be clear, i'm not 'worried'. but my vague sense of unease does apply to them as well, slightly more to Aaron.

BTW the other thing that gives me a vague sense of unease is that while IA guys stall at the beginning of matches to avoid losing worse, our guys tend to stall at the end of matches after they've scored, to preserve a win. Don't get me wrong, I'll take that end of the moral stalling stick any day, but I fear that some numbskull ref is going to **** someone with it sometime in March.

But as I said, wtf do i know anyway.

Reactions: pish69
Hmm. I think most guys "stall at the end of a match" at NCAAs if they're winning a close one. Ours can as well--but we do a lot of other things to win better than others too. Our guys aren't often in a position of losing late from Friday on at NCAAs, but I don't think it impacts us more than anyone else. No unease is detected in my gut, FWIW.

Per @82bordeaux 's remark, Roman still found a way to get the win vs. Fix, in spite of Angel's sudden interest in stalling.

Reactions: District four
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT