ADVERTISEMENT

Up Next, Rutgers: Most intriguing matchup...

I'm in the west end in the Freeman school district. My son wrestled for DeepRun and I ran the Wildcat youth program for a bunch of years. Varina kids use to go up to Lyco camp with us when we took a large contingent from the area to Pa
I'm near State College now. Freeman hosted regionals when I wrestled. DeepRun didn't exist. My parents are still living down there. I visit a few times a year.

@PSU_Mike... auto correct was not an issue. I must not type that other word often enough in my search engine. I guess I don't need to search for it. :cool:

It’s always amusing to me when a wrestler does absolutely nothing on offense for 6:40 of the match and then the fanbase (often Iowa) gets indignant that their guy doesn’t get a stalling point in the last 20 seconds.
Yes, it’s one thing to beg for stalling when the match was a nutty 7-5 match when both wrestlers were aggressive.

But mimic Stallalonga until 20 seconds to go…..a bit ridiculous.

However, another person might conclude they were showing the ref what stalling was for 6:40, and now armed with that info should recognize it and call in the last :20. Lol.

Matter should be all over this thread with his preview and Rutgers insights.😉 Slow to the draw Matter?

Good point. Also..that Rutgers team liked to play the "villian" roll..had a lot of guys that were dirty wrestlers..this Rutgers team though down this year seems like they have a bunch of good hardworking kids but no one I'd classify as dirty.

125..Peterson..solid kid, high recruit who I thought may AA this year until I saw him get beat down by Maryland
133..Heilmann..solid kid, NQ type
141..Olivera..solid kid, NQ type
149..White..had amazing rs year last year but really struggling this year
157..Clark..borderline NQ
165 Kannaird..same as above
174..Turley..past AA but since shoulder injury not the same
184..Soldano..super fun to watch but he rolls to his back to force action
197..Janzer..boring
285..McDermott..NQ type

I think they'll be improved next year if they can get Shawver (a solid 125 NQ last yr) and Poznanski (past AA who's in RS this yr) in lineup with Peterson and Soldano..
pish69 covered it pretty well. I don't agree they will be improved next year. Program has been sliding steadily downhill since the 2015-16. Guys you think will progress actually get worse.

The big fallacy with Rutgers thinking came when Suriano and AA got natty titles. Rutgers thought they magically would be getting a big share of top recruits, failing to understand reality.

One, lots of schools get a natty champ or two. Rutgers got two with guys who were arguably the best wrestlers in NJ HS history. Joe Dubuque, who nobody is considering "best ever" in NJ, won two at Indiana. Did that magically vault Indiana to the top level of college wrestling. Jordan Burroughs to Nebraska and wins two titles and becomes one of the best US freestyle wrestlers ever. You need a sustained track record of producing champs to get the kind of recruiting gravitas that Rutgers thought they would be getting. Two champs with the two best HS wrestlers in NJ history isn't going to push the needle like that.

Two, Rutgers hasn't won a dual meet against a legit top 10 team in 7 seasons. In 2015-16, Rutgers beat two (Nebraska and Cornell). Now they have to have a creampuff OOC schedule and hope they can knock off a couple of the bottom B1G teams.

They're pretty firmly locked into the 12-14 area of B1G at this point. Some years they might crack the top 10 of B1G - barely. In 2015-16, I had high hopes they would build on what was for them a great year (the two aforementioned dual wins, 10 qualifiers for nationals and 4th in the B1G tourney were good reasons to believe that). But I can't see any basis for similar hopes these days. That just flies in the face of facts.

Look, I was a season ticket holder during the Sunderland slide years. Luckily Penn State made a bold change at the head coach level. If Rutgers wants to get better, they'll have to do something similar.

Last edited:
Somewhat off topic, and wtf do I actually know anyway about what training is actually going on, what training should be going on, or how guys are feeling, but I have this vague unease about whether the 1 match per weekend thing that seems to be going on more this year will have guys ready for the multi match weekends of March.
Coach Jimmy Kennedy answered questions at the PSWC social prior to the Michigan State match. One of the questions asked was about PSU wrestlers only wrestling 8 or 9 matches versus their opponents wrestling 18 and was that a detriment or benefit to our wrestlers. Jimmy's response was as a staff they feel the risk/reward of wrestling 5 or 6 matches in tournaments is too risky for injuries. He said at the NCAA tournament the guys will wrestle a maximum of 2 matches a day. He also stated the caliber of wrestling they get in the room will have them better prepared for NCAA'S than any tournament they could attend.

It’s always amusing to me when a wrestler does absolutely nothing on offense for 6:40 of the match and then the fanbase (often Iowa) gets indignant that their guy doesn’t get a stalling point in the last 20 seconds.
yea flo was talking trash about how Brooks stalled in the 3rd but never mentionr the buckeye stalling the whole 2 first and second period!

Washington was a joke after that TD he did absolutely nothing ref didnt call crap he should have been DQ for stalling!

pish69 covered it pretty well. I don't agree they will be improved next year. Program has been sliding steadily downhill since the 2015-16. Guys you think will progress actually get worse.

The big fallacy with Rutgers thinking came when Suriano and AA got natty titles. Rutgers thought they magically would be getting a big share of top recruits, failing to understand reality.

One, lots of schools get a natty champ or two. Rutgers got two with guys who were arguably the best wrestlers in NJ HS history. Joe Dubuque, who nobody is considering "best ever" in NJ, won two at Indiana. Did that magically vault Indiana to the top level of college wrestling. Jordan Burroughs to Nebraska and wins two titles and becomes one of the best US freestyle wrestlers ever. You need a sustained track record of producing champs to get the kind of recruiting gravitas that Rutgers thought they would be getting. Two champs with the two best HS wrestlers in NJ history isn't going to push the needle like that.

Two, Rutgers hasn't won a dual meet against a legit top 10 team in 7 seasons. In 2015-16, Rutgers beat two (Nebraska and Cornell). Now they have to have a creampuff OOC schedule and hope they can knock off a couple of the bottom B1G teams.

They're pretty firmly locked into the 12-14 area of B1G at this point. Some years they might crack the top 10 of B1G - barely. In 2015-16, I had high hopes they would build on what was for them a great year (the two aforementioned dual wins, 10 qualifiers for nationals and 4th in the B1G tourney were good reasons to believe that). But I can't see any basis for similar hopes these days. That just flies in the face of facts.

Look, I was a season ticket holder during the Sunderland slide years. Luckily Penn State made a bold change at the head coach level. If Rutgers wants to get better, they'll have to do something similar.
rutgers will never be more than a middling BIG school!

Several bouts consisted of hands-to-the-face and hard slaps to the head that today would be called Unsportsmanlike Conduct penalties. It got out of hand as the referee didn't put an end to it early. The Retherford bout was a disgrace.
Then, Jason got injured and everyone was in a really sour mood. I recall Gravina throwing some hooks at Bo too. Later, Richie Lewis tried to provoke Bo on Twitter.

Sort of like qualifying for B1Gs 4 X, Rutgers gets to experience what all our hosting opponents do--so, "Boom."

Reactions: creamery freak
Then, Jason got injured and everyone was in a really sour mood. I recall Gravina throwing some hooks at Bo too. Later, Richie Lewis tried to provoke Bo on Twitter.

Sort of like qualifying for B1Gs 4 X, Rutgers gets to experience what all our hosting opponents do--so, "Boom."

Took them all the way to today to sell out? Lol.

Suriano, Delvecchio, Grello, DeLuca, Gravinna - I think the 2018 team felt they were representing the Jersey mafia. Lewis tagged along as their token asshole.

Reactions: danoftw
Suriano, Delvecchio, Grello, DeLuca, Gravinna - I think the 2018 team felt they were representing the Jersey mafia. Lewis tagged along as their token asshole.
Richie Lewis at nationals every year:

tumblr_pj3qckUACq1x91bieo1_400.gif

ADVERTISEMENT