ADVERTISEMENT

US Open just became a lot more important

jrod65

Jan 21, 2019
New selection procedures are released:

Like before, any 2022 World medalist gets a spot in Final X and the list is long this time.

Gilman, Yianni, Zain, Dake, Burroughs, Taylor, Cox, and Snyder are already into Final X, if they want it.

The Open is now the most important tournament for most of the weights as winning it sends the champ straight to Final X as well. For the weights that have a World medalists, winning the Open is the only option to make Final X.

The challenge tournament is now only used for those weights where there is no World medalist. We could see as few as 2 weights(61, 125) at the last chance qualifier.

For the visual learners:

Final X:

57 Gilman vs Open champ
61 Open champ vs last chance champ
65 Yianni vs open champ
70 Zain vs open champ
74 Dake vs open champ
79 Burroughs vs open champ
86 DT vs open champ
92 Cox vs Open champ
97 Snyder vs open champ
125 open champ vs last chance champ

Do you know how this will shake out in the Olympic year? Will world medalists at non-Olympic weights get a pass to Final-X at the trials at the Olympic weight or will it be like last time where they get placed in the semis at the Olympic weight?
Or is that all TBD?

Do you know how this will shake out in the Olympic year? Will world medalists at non-Olympic weights get a pass to Final-X at the trials at the Olympic weight or will it be like last time where they get placed in the semis at the Olympic weight?
Or is that all TBD?

I have no idea

Reactions: slaterun
Or is that all TBD?
My read on this is that they're just doing it this year because of the compressed olympic cycle, and the large number of returning medalists, but it's only a guess.

My biggest problem with this approach (other than having 2 high profile Senior Level Tourneys to watch) is that the Open is what, a month after NCAAs? Hard for college guys to heal up and peak again so soon. At least RBY and Greg both will get a crack at Last Chance too if they want it--but I don't see how Carter wins 174, and then makes the cut to 74kg for the Open. Admittedly, don't really see how he does it later in the year either. . .

My biggest problem with this approach (other than having 2 high profile Senior Level Tourneys to watch) is that the Open is what, a month after NCAAs? Hard for college guys to heal up and peak again so soon. At least RBY and Greg both will get a crack at Last Chance too if they want it--but I don't see how Carter wins 174, and then makes the cut to 74kg for the Open. Admittedly, don't really see how he does it later in the year either. . .
On Carter … one year at a time, no? Is there a reason he can’t go to the Open at 79?

On Carter … one year at a time, no? Is there a reason he can’t go to the Open at 79?
It’s generally thought of as a good idea to try and medal at your olympic weight the year before, to make making the team all the easier, but sure.

Reactions: PSU Mike
Can any of the medalist choose to wrestle in the US Open? By winning it would they then have to wrestle themselves in Final X. Before you say no, I have seen David Taylor at practice do that for six minutes and it’s amazing the cardio needed.

ADVERTISEMENT