ADVERTISEMENT

US Open Tonight... Terry Pegula's Daughter Giving #1 Ranked Girl The Business

Potentially two American women in the final who have billionaire fathers. Pegula definitely the favorite to make the final. Sabalenka is going to be tough to beat.

A spectacular thread on the Lair discussing this. A must read for Pitt enthusiasts.

A spectacular thread on the Lair discussing this. A must read for Pitt enthusiasts.
I pay more attention to college tennis (I still play competitively) than most but had no idea Pegula went to Pitt.

I have played mixed doubles with (and against) a woman who is in the top 10 all time wins at Pitt. I gave her crap because the first time we played as partners, I left my PSU gear at home and she purposefully wore her Pitt apparel to spite me. Fun person, nice player.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I pay more attention to college tennis (I still play competitively) than most but had no idea Pegula went to Pitt.

I have played mixed doubles with (and against) a woman who is in the top 10 all time wins at Pitt. I gave her crap because the first time we played as partners, I left my PSU gear at home and she purposefully wore her Pitt apparel to spite me. Fun person, nice player.
As you read on in that thread, they eventually figure out it was her sister that went to Pitt.

As you read on in that thread, they eventually figure out it was her sister that went to Pitt.
Interesting. There's tons of stuff out there saying she played at Pitt but in looking more closely she definitely did not.

Interesting. There's tons of stuff out there saying she played at Pitt but in looking more closely she definitely did not.
Right. A lot of bad info out there. She was like 15 when she went pro and lived in South FL.

Yeah pro tennis players at the elite level do not come out of college
I depends on how you define elite but this isn't true anymore.
Ben Shelton went to UF.
John Isner went to UGA.

Back in the day both McEnroe and Connors went to college for at least one year.

I depends on how you define elite but this isn't true anymore.
Ben Shelton went to UF.
John Isner went to UGA.

Back in the day both McEnroe and Connors went to college for at least one year.
I don't think Shelton (so far) or Isner were ever "elite". Isner was a great player but didn't do much in the majors-had one nice SF run
Shelton could develop

Cam Norrie and Daniele Collins seem to have gotten the most attention for having played college tennis. Emma Navarro and Diana Schnaider are probably the ones (other than Shelton) with the most upside.

When people think "elite" they think the Big 3 or Sinner, Carlos, Swiatek, Sabalenka, Coco, etc.

I used to play tennis with Kathy Jordan in King of Prussia in mid 80s.

Pegula to the final of the US Open.
That is surprising. She was getting blown off the court in the first set by Muchova. Did Karolina's wrist injury flare up? I turned it off early in the 2nd set.

Hope she can pull it off in the final. Sabalenka can be a bit of a head case at times so who knows. Jessica is covering the court much better than she has in the past.

Reactions: JimNazium
That is surprising. She was getting blown off the court in the first set by Muchova. Did Karolina's wrist injury flare up? I turned it off early in the 2nd set.

Hope she can pull it off in the final. Sabalenka can be a bit of a head case at times so who knows. Jessica is covering the court much better than she has in the past.
Muchova's back apparently started bothering her or it looked that way but Jess elevated her play after that first set and a couple games in the second.

Sabalenka has really improved mentally. Navarro played a great match against her and she won in straight sets. Going to be tough for Jess but should be a great final. And yes Pegula's quickness has definitely improved. Not at the level of Navarro though and Sabalenka beat her pretty easily a couple weeks ago.

Muchova's back apparently started bothering her or it looked that way but Jess elevated her play after that first set and a couple games in the second.

Sabalenka has really improved mentally. Navarro played a great match against her and she won in straight sets. Going to be tough for Jess but should be a great final. And yes Pegula's quickness has definitely improved. Not at the level of Navarro though and Sabalenka beat her pretty easily a couple weeks ago.

Sabalenka's a beast. Would've loved to see her play Serena Williams at her height. The only way Pegula wins is if Sabalenka makes a ton of unforced errors. She just doesn't have the power to keep up, which is crazy to say about the #6 ranked player.

Reactions: LandoComando
Sabalenka's a beast. Would've loved to see her play Serena Williams at her height. The only way Pegula wins is if Sabalenka makes a ton of unforced errors. She just doesn't have the power to keep up, which is crazy to say about the #6 ranked player.
Agreed--on hard courts Sabalenka pretty much has to beat herself to lose. She fell apart last year vs Coco--I doubt she does it again but...stranger things have happened.

Tiafoe completely fell apart tonight. Pegula and Fritz with big opportunities but going to be very tough for either of them to win

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT