ADVERTISEMENT

OT: USA COVID-19 Vaccination Updates

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
this thread is for daily updates on vaccinations given per day in the USA, and discussion about that.

I'm separating this out from the COVID-19 Testing & Treatment thread that's been on the board for most of the pandemic in the hope that thread can continue to focus on COVID-19 testing & treatment, and this thread can focus on COVID-19 vaccinations in the USA.

And while this seems to be a challenge for some of you when discussing this subject, please do not bring politics into this thread.

2.0M shots yesterday so total up to 50.08M with the 7 day rolling average at 1.66M . 72.6% of shots administered is the national average, 11.2% of population with 1+ dose (note this is percent of population that has been given 1 or 2 doses, so total percent that have been pricked by a needle), 3.9% with double dose. So far, 36.8 million have received at least one dose. At least 12.8 million people have completed the two-dose vaccination regimen.

Doses delivered is 68.98M compared to yesterday 68.3M. 9.68 doses recorded delivered this week. 9.4M doses delivered last week. So slightly better than last week assuming no weekend deliveries but based on the news this week was assuming this number would start to rise week over week more than 300k doses.

100,288 positives reported yesterday compared to 132,412 week over week. 7-day rolling average as such continues it's downward trend to 98,929.

Fatality was 2908 compared to 3068 yesterday and 3664 week over week, 7-day rolling fatality at 2653.

For Hospitalizations, Total hospitalizations in USA with Covid is 71,504 down from yesterday 74,225.

So some nice milestones hit today. Under 100,000 daily positives for the first time since November 5th. When you look at the chart, there used to be those end of week reporting peaks which now have basically gone away the last two weeks so much more consistent day to day data. Fatality numbers starting to finally come down with the high being January 26 the 7-day rolling be 3447 so have come down 800 fatalities per day in the last 18 days. Not out of the question to get below 2000 fatalities per day on the 7 day by end of this month.

2.0M shots yesterday so total up to 50.08M with the 7 day rolling average at 1.66M . 72.6% of shots administered is the national average, 11.2% of population with 1+ dose (note this is percent of population that has been given 1 or 2 doses, so total percent that have been pricked by a needle), 3.9% with double dose. So far, 36.8 million have received at least one dose. At least 12.8 million people have completed the two-dose vaccination regimen.

Doses delivered is 68.98M compared to yesterday 68.3M. 9.68 doses recorded delivered this week. 9.4M doses delivered last week. So slightly better than last week assuming no weekend deliveries but based on the news this week was assuming this number would start to rise week over week more than 300k doses.

100,288 positives reported yesterday compared to 132,412 week over week. 7-day rolling average as such continues it's downward trend to 98,929.

Fatality was 2908 compared to 3068 yesterday and 3664 week over week, 7-day rolling fatality at 2653.

For Hospitalizations, Total hospitalizations in USA with Covid is 71,504 down from yesterday 74,225.

So some nice milestones hit today. Under 100,000 daily positives for the first time since November 5th. When you look at the chart, there used to be those end of week reporting peaks which now have basically gone away the last two weeks so much more consistent day to day data. Fatality numbers starting to finally come down with the high being January 26 the 7-day rolling be 3447 so have come down 800 fatalities per day in the last 18 days. Not out of the question to get below 2000 fatalities per day on the 7 day by end of this month.
Awesome work thank you very much. What website are you compiling all this data from?

Last edited:
Reactions: NedFromYork
With the extreme cold across the central USA this weekend, I would guess we see reported testing numbers drop a ton next week.

Reactions: roswelllion
With the extreme cold across the central USA this weekend, I would guess we see reported testing numbers drop a ton next week.

when the snow hit last week, you saw a day or two drop but then the next couple of days were really high to make up for it. I don't think cold alone is going to stop most people from going and getting the vaccine. Snow high enough to not allow driving conditions is one thing, but just cold will not stop a majority of people and will be made up in the ensuing days.

Reactions: tlbakernc and psu00
when the snow hit last week, you saw a day or two drop but then the next couple of days were really high to make up for it. I don't think cold alone is going to stop most people from going and getting the vaccine. Snow high enough to not allow driving conditions is one thing, but just cold will not stop a majority of people and will be made up in the ensuing days.

But the extreme cold could keep some vaccination clinics from opening since many are outdoors. Sure the numbers will quickly even out, but people shouldn't be concerned if they see numbers dip for a couple days.

Last edited:
I haven't followed the machinations of the vaccine roll out but why is it taking so long. I thought both Moderna and Phizer said 100 million doses through March. Currently at 50 million. Even at 2 million per day [does that count weekend days?] we would get between 70-90 million in the next 6 weeks. Brings us to 120-140 million which is a far cry from 200 million. Disappointing from a 68 year old waiting with no word.

I haven't followed the machinations of the vaccine roll out but why is it taking so long. I thought both Moderna and Phizer said 100 million doses through March. Currently at 50 million. Even at 2 million per day [does that count weekend days?] we would get between 70-90 million in the next 6 weeks. Brings us to 120-140 million which is a far cry from 200 million. Disappointing from a 68 year old waiting with no word.

As the one article I read said, "making vaccines isn't like making corn flakes". You are literally talking about some of the most sophisticated manufacturing in the world. It is not OK for the production to be 99% correct or even 99.9% correct as talking about medicine, you need to be 99.999999999999% sure that the product is correct. Pfizer announced for instance they are in the process of taking production of vaccine from 110 days down to hopefully 60 days. that does not happen overnight but over weeks/months of time as it is an incremental process. So you should start to see the doses delivered which is currently at about 10M per week increase week over week. Also got to understand these are projections based on expectations of best case scenarios. So I would not take the numbers you read and timing as exact truths. Typically have to add 4-6 weeks on to when they say they will have them and then take about 75-80% of the number and that is more realistic.

Vaccination process is going about as well as can be expected at this point. Appears both Pfizer and Moderna are increasing production week over week and the states have figured out for the most part how to administer about every dose they receive. Should get a boost staring in early March as the J&J vaccine gets approved and their production starts to be sent out which will only add to the current ever increasing Pfizer/Moderna numbers.

And yes, currently at 1.66M doses administered per day which is a 7 day average and that includes weekends as if you look at the chart, weekends dosing is no different then weekday as this is obviously happening every day.

Plus the manufacturing isn't the bottleneck. It's the state and local protocols for getting people signed up and actually getting jabs in arms that's the bottleneck.

Here's a chart that compares the state efforts to get the senior populations vaccinated

Many places planning on shutting down here in Texas the next few days. Expecting 0F Monday. I’ve been here since 1984 and the lowest I recall is 17F. We had heavy sleet yesterday and many trees down and power off. Not supposed to get above freezing until Friday. And it is supposed to ice again the next three days. All next week, I’m guessing is a shut down around here.

We’re screwed. 😞

Reactions: tlbakernc
Plus the manufacturing isn't the bottleneck. It's the state and local protocols for getting people signed up and actually getting jabs in arms that's the bottleneck.

Here's a chart that compares the state efforts to get the senior populations vaccinated

initially back in December when this started the issue was launching during holiday period and focusing Phase IA on healthcare workers (who were the least likely to want the vaccine). it was not vaccine production. now we look to be catching up an outrunning the vaccine production. There was also a pretty good amount of wasted vaccine (i.e. in the 15% level) due to partial vials and managing the appt populations. I have not seen the % of vaccines that expired, but production started many months early (the Warp Speed plan provided protection to Moderna, Phizer, etal for early production pre-auth), so there may have been waste due to expired vaccines. as clumsy as everything seems, a pretty substantial population is getting vaccinated per day.

one sort of unusual situation, is that my wife and I cannot even get an appt, but we are over 70. there are still many over 80 not vaccinated, and yet our state is already vaccinating younger people. not clear why they would not just completely roll though each population, and then go to the next. Instead, most states seem to be using a calendar to set out the plan, but cannot actually vaccinate the population groups in their entirety during that time. that is very strange. You could wind up vaccinating a 50 year old, and yet still have 80 year old pop seeking vaccine. Not sure that makes sense.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
initially back in December when this started the issue was launching during holiday period and focusing Phase IA on healthcare workers (who were the least likely to want the vaccine). it was not vaccine production. now we look to be catching up an outrunning the vaccine production. There was also a pretty good amount of wasted vaccine (i.e. in the 15% level) due to partial vials and managing the appt populations. I have not seen the % of vaccines that expired, but production started many months early (the Warp Speed plan provided protection to Moderna, Phizer, etal for early production pre-auth), so there may have been waste due to expired vaccines. as clumsy as everything seems, a pretty substantial population is getting vaccinated per day.

one sort of unusual situation, is that my wife and I cannot even get an appt, but we are over 70. there are still many over 80 not vaccinated, and yet our state is already vaccinating younger people. not clear why they would not just completely roll though each population, and then go to the next. Instead, most states seem to be using a calendar to set out the plan, but cannot actually vaccinate the population groups in their entirety during that time. that is very strange. You could wind up vaccinating a 50 year old, and yet still have 80 year old pop seeking vaccine. Not sure that makes sense.
Where did you hear that 15% is wasted? And I doubt any expired while in storage since they are kept in extreme cold, like 90 below. The problem is at injection sites they are brought up to temp and must be used in 48 hrs....IIRC.

Reactions: tlbakernc

yeah, the vaccine rollout that started with nursing homes and healthcare workers then went right into 65 and older and 65 and younger with co-morbidity was dumb and shortsighted. They missed a Phase where Phase 1B should have been 75 and older and that Phase should have been the month of January to get a bulk of that population vaccinated before you opened it up to another 50M+ people. As you point out, you have high risk people over 75 that cannot get a vaccine because a relatively low risk person under 65 with a condition (smokers for christ's sake) are getting in over them. Can only hope that as the vaccine production increases over the next 6 weeks that those high risk older people can get appointments before they open it up even further.

Where did you hear that 15% is wasted? And I doubt any expired while in storage since they are kept in extreme cold, like 90 below. The problem is at injection sites they are brought up to temp and must be used in 48 hrs....IIRC.

the cartons have an expiration date on them.

5 days for Pfizer and 30 for Moderna once brought to temp. Six months while fully frozen.

If vaccines are going past their expiration date, then the local health department is doing it wrong.

5 days for Pfizer and 30 for Moderna once brought to temp. Six months while fully frozen.

If vaccines are going past their expiration date, then the local health department is doing it wrong.

I was involved in helping design and build an automated system for a hospital during Phase IA. We had to create full automation including matching vial bar code to employee badge with no paper. everything done on line before appt which ran like an open table model. we also had to lot trace the inventory, and send files electronically to state and CDC vaccine tracking systems. once it was no longer a closed POD, then they could no longer use the system. What we noticed at several hospitals was that you would have at least 1 dose per vial wasted, and if you had several stations running the waste repeated over each table. when we built the system we tracked and optimized the vials to dispensing points. when we were in Phase IA, the PODs were not supposed to contact people to save the waste, unless the people fit the target population. a few pharmacists got in trouble for contacting non-qualified populations to save vaccine. Now that is acceptable. Observing the same hospital, their waste is about 7% compared to <1% when we were working with them. when you get no shows in a public situation where you have the exact number of vaccines to appts, then waste is easy to show up.

2.0M shots yesterday so total up to 52.04M with the 7 day rolling average at 1.64M . 74.5% of shots administered is the national average, 11.5% of population with 1+ dose (note this is percent of population that has been given 1 or 2 doses, so total percent that have been pricked by a needle), 4.2% with double dose. So far, 37.9 million have received at least one dose. At least 13.7 million people have completed the two-dose vaccination regimen.

Doses delivered is 69.85M compared to yesterday 68.98M. 9.81 doses recorded delivered this week. 9.4M doses delivered last week. So slightly better than last week but still not at the 10M mark.

86,275 positives reported yesterday compared to 108,636 week over week. 7-day rolling average as such continues it's downward trend to 96,303.

Fatality was 2272 compared to 2908 yesterday and 2796 week over week, 7-day rolling fatality at 2599.

For Hospitalizations, Total hospitalizations in USA with Covid is 69,283 down from yesterday 71,504.

Editorial: Incredible what one month can do. A month ago, the vaccine roll-out was struggling, the USA had administered only 11M doses in the first month of vaccines; the daily 7 day rolling average for daily infections peaked on January 11th at 255,258; and January 12th the peak one day fatality of 4497 occurred with a 7 day fatality rolling average of 3400.

And now.....have turned around the vaccinations to average 1.6M per day and have shown can easily do 2.0M, have gone from 11M doses to 52M doses administered with 11.5% of the population having had at least one shot. The daily infection rate is almost ONE THIRD the peak from 255k per day down to 96k per day in only a month. Hospitalizations are 50% of a month ago. And finally we are starting to see the fatality rate come down, 22% in the last month with 18 consecutive days in decline.

On the vaccine front, both Moderna and Pfizer have both come out and said production rates are increasing and have moved up their timetables to hit their allotments earlier by months and now USA has secured 600M doses (enough for entire country) by end of July. This does not even include J&J which went for approval and is expected to occur by end of February and start shipping in early March.

So if you think about the 1.6M vaccines doses per day is equivalent to 800,000 people being double dosed and now immune. Daily positive infections yesterday was 86,000. So we are at 9 people being vaccinated and immune for every ONE person who is being infected. And I expect that number to only grow as more vaccines get out to states with the increasing production and the daily infection numbers continuing to drop.

USA has 28M+ confirmed positive cases. Most experts think that between 50M-90M people actually have been infected as a 2-4x ratio of tested positive to actual positive due to the lack of testing at the start of this combined with asymptomatic people. There is also good evidence that about 10% of the population (let's say 30M) has natural immunity to Covid due to previous similar infections. We now have nearly 40M people with at least one shot of vaccine. So start adding up those numbers (recognizing that some percentage of people who have got the vaccine already had covid or are natural immune so everything is just not additive)....50-90M with antibodies already since had Covid, 30M natural immunity, 40M with a vaccine dose already.....so that is 120-160M people. that is the start of herd immunity we are seeing.

2.0M shots yesterday so total up to 52.04M with the 7 day rolling average at 1.64M . 74.5% of shots administered is the national average, 11.5% of population with 1+ dose (note this is percent of population that has been given 1 or 2 doses, so total percent that have been pricked by a needle), 4.2% with double dose. So far, 37.9 million have received at least one dose. At least 13.7 million people have completed the two-dose vaccination regimen.

Doses delivered is 69.85M compared to yesterday 68.98M. 9.81 doses recorded delivered this week. 9.4M doses delivered last week. So slightly better than last week but still not at the 10M mark.

86,275 positives reported yesterday compared to 108,636 week over week. 7-day rolling average as such continues it's downward trend to 96,303.

Fatality was 2272 compared to 2908 yesterday and 2796 week over week, 7-day rolling fatality at 2599.

For Hospitalizations, Total hospitalizations in USA with Covid is 69,283 down from yesterday 71,504.

Editorial: Incredible what one month can do. A month ago, the vaccine roll-out was struggling, the USA had administered only 11M doses in the first month of vaccines; the daily 7 day rolling average for daily infections peaked on January 11th at 255,258; and January 12th the peak one day fatality of 4497 occurred with a 7 day fatality rolling average of 3400.

And now.....have turned around the vaccinations to average 1.6M per day and have shown can easily do 2.0M, have gone from 11M doses to 52M doses administered with 11.5% of the population having had at least one shot. The daily infection rate is almost ONE THIRD the peak from 255k per day down to 96k per day in only a month. Hospitalizations are 50% of a month ago. And finally we are starting to see the fatality rate come down, 22% in the last month with 18 consecutive days in decline.

On the vaccine front, both Moderna and Pfizer have both come out and said production rates are increasing and have moved up their timetables to hit their allotments earlier by months and now USA has secured 600M doses (enough for entire country) by end of July. This does not even include J&J which went for approval and is expected to occur by end of February and start shipping in early March.

So if you think about the 1.6M vaccines doses per day is equivalent to 800,000 people being double dosed and now immune. Daily positive infections yesterday was 86,000. So we are at 9 people being vaccinated and immune for every ONE person who is being infected. And I expect that number to only grow as more vaccines get out to states with the increasing production and the daily infection numbers continuing to drop.

USA has 28M+ confirmed positive cases. Most experts think that between 50M-90M people actually have been infected as a 2-4x ratio of tested positive to actual positive due to the lack of testing at the start of this combined with asymptomatic people. There is also good evidence that about 10% of the population (let's say 30M) has natural immunity to Covid due to previous similar infections. We now have nearly 40M people with at least one shot of vaccine. So start adding up those numbers (recognizing that some percentage of people who have got the vaccine already had covid or are natural immune so everything is just not additive)....50-90M with antibodies already since had Covid, 30M natural immunity, 40M with a vaccine dose already.....so that is 120-160M people. that is the start of herd immunity we are seeing.

You're off on your % of the population. 52 million having at least one would be 15.8%

And for the record, people getting their second dose are not IMMUNE. This vaccine does not give antibodies. I'd wager that herd immunity is a lot closer then we think, but it has nothing to do with the vaccine.

Very good post. In any massive undertaking such as this there will be some obstacles to over come. Add in the fact the first month had two major holidays so many people delayed taking the shots until after because they feared side effects would ruin the holidays. And people were off work and traveling.

Another major impediment was an historic blizzard that crippled the major population centers across the northeast. Entire cities shut down, people were locked in, a couple days missed.

It’s a very good accomplishment most states adapted their processes and greatly improved delivery. Sadly, a few are stuck doing a poor job. Hopefully the next month will see all states up their game.

I am getting my shot at Rite Aid on Tuesday. My sisters got theirs on Friday. Pretty smooth, appointments every 15 minutes. My sister asked a few questions. If someone doesn't show, they have a list of candidates so the vaccine isn't wasted. Thought I would have to reschedule cause of the storm, but I think I'm good to go.

Reactions: mikeinpenna
You're off on your % of the population. 52 million having at least one would be 15.8%

And for the record, people getting their second dose are not IMMUNE. This vaccine does not give antibodies. I'd wager that herd immunity is a lot closer then we think, but it has nothing to do with the vaccine.

You‘re not reading the numbers correctly. 52 million doses have been given. But at least 13.7 million of those were second doses. That’s why he’s saying 37.9 million have received at least one dose. The numbers still aren’t exact but probably because of lags in reporting different statistics. Regardless, the 37.9 million is the number you need to use to get percentage of population.

Not off on my numbers, nearly 40 million people have had one shot. Those are the numbers and are almost certainly adding to the other numbers I mentioned to start herd immunity. They have a much larger effect on the hospitalization and fatality number but you cannot say that 11.5% of population having had a dose of vaccine is not contributing to lower overal daily positives.

And not sure if you are trying to parse words on the vaccine not making people "immune" or "creating antibodies" but below is directly from the CDC website. Your body develops antibodies from the vacine.

1.8M shots yesterday so total up to 53.80M with the 7 day rolling average at 1.68M. 76.8% of shots administered is the national average, 11.8% of population with 1+ dose (note this is percent of population that has been given 1 or 2 doses, so total percent that have been pricked by a needle), 4.4% with double dose. So far, 38.8 million have received at least one dose. At least 14.5 million people have completed the two-dose vaccination regimen.

Doses delivered is 70.0M compared to yesterday 69.85M. 9.96 doses recorded delivered last week (I assume that was the target 10M doses discussed by the admin). 9.4M doses delivered last week. Week will flip to start fresh tomorrow. Heard on news last week that it was expected to increase to 11M doses per week so will see if that occurs this week.

64,297 positives reported yesterday compared to 91,215 week over week. 7-day rolling average as such continues it's downward trend to 92,487. Sunday always a low reporting day but not been that low since late October.

Fatality was 1111 compared to 2272 yesterday and 1315 week over week, 7-day rolling fatality at 2569.

For Hospitalizations, Total hospitalizations in USA with Covid is 67,023 down from yesterday 69,283.

Not off on my numbers, nearly 40 million people have had one shot. Those are the numbers and are almost certainly adding to the other numbers I mentioned to start herd immunity. They have a much larger effect on the hospitalization and fatality number but you cannot say that 11.5% of population having had a dose of vaccine is not contributing to lower overal daily positives.

And not sure if you are trying to parse words on the vaccine not making people "immune" or "creating antibodies" but below is directly from the CDC website. Your body develops antibodies from the vacine.

Clearly the cdc hasn't talked to Dr's or Moderna. Gene therapy does not build antibodies. If it did people wouldn't need another shot in 3 months...which has been rumored....or be able to spread it...or die after the 2nd shot( yes I know some one) you need the virus to build antibodies....these "vaccines" don't have e any. Again if this were the case then anyone with the second shot could wear no mask.

• Haha
Reactions: katchthis
Clearly the cdc hasn't talked to Dr's or Moderna. Gene therapy does not build antibodies. If it did people wouldn't need another shot in 3 months...which has been rumored....or be able to spread it...or die after the 2nd shot( yes I know some one) you need the virus to build antibodies....these "vaccines" don't have e any. Again if this were the case then anyone with the second shot could wear no mask.
Another shot in three months is fear porn. No one has said that is true. It’s BS.

The vaccine is mRNA that stimulates the body to produce the spike proteins. Then the body sense these foreign proteins and produces antibodies to them in response.

As for spreading the virus and recommending people wear masks after having been vaccinated is typical governmental over reaction. The odds of someone spreading the virus after being vaccinated is extremely low. Part of that recommendation is the fear that people that weren’t vaccinated will stop wearing masks and claim they were vaccinated. It’s been hard to get people to comply and they are trying to stop people from cheating.

so you are saying you know someone that died from Covid after receiving both shots of Moderna? That is tough to believe considering something like that would be all over the news and literally defy what Fauci said last week.

Reactions: bison13
Another shot in three months is fear porn. No one has said that is true. It’s BS.

The vaccine is mRNA that stimulates the body to produce the spike proteins. Then the body sense these foreign proteins and produces antibodies to them in response.

As for spreading the virus and recommending people wear masks after having been vaccinated is typical governmental over reaction. The odds of someone spreading the virus after being vaccinated is extremely low. Part of that recommendation is the fear that people that weren’t vaccinated will stop wearing masks and claim they were vaccinated. It’s been hard to get people to comply and they are trying to stop people from cheating.

Im sure that’s part of it. But there is also concern vaccinated people can still carry the virus in their nostrils and then sneeze it out, and infect people that way. I dont believe that scenario is very likely, but I’ll still wear my mask in public until the CDC gives the all clear.

Did the person you know who died after 2 vaccine shots have any underlying conditions? Asking because I have two underlying conditions and hoping the vaccine might help me

Did the person you know who died after 2 vaccine shots have any underlying conditions? Asking because I have two underlying conditions and hoping the vaccine might help me
How long after? What did he/she die of? Was it related to the vaccine? A history of allergic reactions?

I got my 1st shot on 2/2, the day after the big storm. I WASN'T gonna miss that appointment.

Well, if 14.5 million people have received a 94.1% effective vaccine, I would think that they would have a significant reduction in disease incidence but sadly I would not think it would be zero. Should that keep anyone from getting the vaccine? No way!

It’s a good thing none of the vaccines are gene therapy then. But you should see how good my 5G reception after receiving the first Moderna injection. Amazing stuff.

ADVERTISEMENT