ADVERTISEMENT

USC coach questions refs after Minnesota loss; best player on D may be out for year

Jerry

May 29, 2001
So I didn't watch the game, but apparently Minnesota's late TD to win it was awarded by replay officials after the call on the field was that the Gophers had been stopped short of the goal line on a 4th and 1.

Ironic as hell, given how Minnesota was jobbed in similar fashion the week before against Michigan. I guess maybe the USC game served as the league's version of Minnesota's make-up call...a week later.

Anyway, at his press conference Tuesday, Riley said there were a number of officiating "misses" in the 4th quarter with the decisive booth reversal being the biggest. The latter occurred after a lengthy review -- sound familiar? -- but when the coach questioned the conference office this week, they appeared to (verbally) agree that the evidence to overturn the call on the field had not met the criterion of "indisputable." Unfortunately, it still goes down as an L on USC's record.

I mean, when you hear that the video review was "lengthy," you know that the evidence can't be "indisputable." It doesn't take that long to see something "indisputable."

Poor Trojans. They're beginning to find out how things work in this conference.

Meanwhile, word is that Eric Gentry, the linebacker who's arguably been their best player on D this season may be gone for the year.

Half of the Quarterback's torso crossed the goal line, so the only "issue" was that he was holding the ball tight against his chest, making it hard to see. But I feel it should have been ruled a TD on the field, and then "stands as called" after review.

Half of the Quarterback's torso crossed the goal line, so the only "issue" was that he was holding the ball tight against his chest, making it hard to see. But I feel it should have been ruled a TD on the field, and then "stands as called" after review.

Oh yeah, that play. It was one of those where it was obviously a TD given how the QB went well over the goal line before being down; the issue in saying it was "indisputable" is that the ball isn't really visible the whole time so it is possible that he fumbled it before crossing the goal. Extremely unlikely given how the play evolved, but I suppose it cannot be claimed to be an absolute certainty. I don't really have a problem with the call being overturned as it was obvious they got the TD but I do think it is one of those situations where needing something to be "indisputable" is an issue.

Reactions: Ski
So I didn't watch the game, but apparently Minnesota's late TD to win it was awarded by replay officials after the call on the field was that the Gophers had been stopped short of the goal line on a 4th and 1.

Ironic as hell, given how Minnesota was jobbed in similar fashion the week before against Michigan. I guess maybe the USC game served as the league's version of Minnesota's make-up call...a week later.

Anyway, at his press conference Tuesday, Riley said there were a number of officiating "misses" in the 4th quarter with the decisive booth reversal being the biggest. The latter occurred after a lengthy review -- sound familiar? -- but when the coach questioned the conference office this week, they appeared to (verbally) agree that the evidence to overturn the call on the field had not met the criterion of "indisputable." Unfortunately, it still goes down as an L on USC's record.

I mean, when you hear that the video review was "lengthy," you know that the evidence can't be "indisputable." It doesn't take that long to see something "indisputable."

Meanwhile, word is that Eric Gentry, the linebacker who's arguably been their best player on D this season may be gone for the year.

Riley is a clown. The Minnesota QB was in by a mile. The referee's had their head up their ass missing that call.
Riley has done nothing since leaving Oklahoma. I guess it's harder when you have to play more than one game a year.

We couldn't see the ball in that scrum but the only way the ball didn't reach the white line is if Minny's QB was holding it down below his waist which is hard to believe.

We couldn't see the ball in that scrum but the only way the ball didn't reach the white line is if Minny's QB was holding it down below his waist which is hard to believe.
I've seen a still photo that makes it look like the ball was actually fumbled but impossible to know (from the still) if it happened before or after he crossed the goal line.
Super close call. Not convinced it should have be overturned.
This also speaks to the downside of the "Tush Push" -- it's super hard for the refs to actually see where the ball is (both live and on replay) due to the mass of humanity around the ball. So unless you make the line to gain pretty easily, there's a potential for a bad call.

He was clearly over the goal line. Should have been called a TD initially. But since it wasn't, I'd agree that there was no way to definitely see where the ball was at so by their rule, there wasn't indisputable evidence.

I guess maybe the USC game served as the league's version of Minnesota's make-up call...a week later.

If this was a makeup call, they sure tried to foul it up. The QB was waist deep in the zone upon the initial push. The ball would have to have been at his knees to not be a TD. And all he has to do is cross the threshold and it's 6. The ball can come out after that since it's a rush.

Terrible call on the field. And replay could have bungled it with the indisputable stuff because those scrums are nuts.

Reactions: mgkpsu
Oh yeah, that play. It was one of those where it was obviously a TD given how the QB went well over the goal line before being down; the issue in saying it was "indisputable" is that the ball isn't really visible the whole time so it is possible that he fumbled it before crossing the goal. Extremely unlikely given how the play evolved, but I suppose it cannot be claimed to be an absolute certainty. I don't really have a problem with the call being overturned as it was obvious they got the TD but I do think it is one of those situations where needing something to be "indisputable" is an issue.
That's one where they just need some kind of chip inside the ball.

Will that 'chip' be able to determine if and who is in possession of the football at the critical moment?
No, but it will say whether the ball broke the plane or not, which seems to be a prevalent issue today, and take some of the politics out of the replay booth.

If this was a makeup call, they sure tried to foul it up. The QB was waist deep in the zone upon the initial push. The ball would have to have been at his knees to not be a TD. And all he has to do is cross the threshold and it's 6. The ball can come out after that since it's a rush.

Terrible call on the field. And replay could have bungled it with the indisputable stuff because those scrums are nuts.

Well I didn't watch the game or see the play in question, so I'd tend to defer to the majority here who apparently did.

I do think it's ironic that the Gophers were saved by the same mechanism, a "lengthy" booth review, that screwed them the week before against Michigan.

Apparently when Riley queried the league office, the view there was a "belief" that the call had been correctly overturned but not a statement affirming the "indisputability" of that judgment.

This criterion of "indisputable" appears to be selectively honored. It's actually a high bar to get over but as often as not, these booth calls seem to be judged by a lesser standard.

Hopefully, USC remains distracted by last week's upset loss at the wire. They're in pretty desperate straits with Riley's tenure at a possible tipping point. I think the stakes are huge for both teams on Saturday.

Well I didn't watch the game or see the play in question, so I'd tend to defer to the majority here who apparently did.

I do think it's ironic that the Gophers were saved by the same mechanism, a "lengthy" booth review, that screwed them the week before against Michigan.

Apparently when Riley queried the league office, the view there was a "belief" that the call had been correctly overturned but not a statement affirming the "indisputability" of that judgment.

This criterion of "indisputable" appears to be selectively honored. It's actually a high bar to get over but as often as not, these booth calls seem to be judged by a lesser standard.

Hopefully, USC remains distracted by last week's upset loss at the wire. They're in pretty desperate straits with Riley's tenure at a possible tipping point. I think the stakes are huge for both teams on Saturday.
Their fans don't seem very interested either, considering there are many tickets available for Saturday for as low as $29. I don’t think we need to be concerned with a rowdy environment.

Reactions: Jerry
I saw the play a couple times and agree the QB clearly was across the goal line by about a yard. You can't see the ball so that is a good point but since his body was so far across the goal line you have to assume the ball was also.

These refs in these games, man you have to wonder. Go back to Minny vs Michigan. Minny's last TD, the receiver catches it clearly in bounds, the ref is standing right there like 3 yards away looking at the play and calls it an incompletion. Total wtf. I mean seriously dude what are you looking at. Thankfully it is overturned. Then the infamous phantom offsides that triggered a 20 page thread here, LOL.

Fast forward to last Saturday night and what the heck are they doing initially calling the play no TD. Just get into the scrum and look. At the very least needs to be called a TD on the field then review. Finally they seem to ignore what indisputable means unless they had some perfect camera angle review that showed where the ball was.

In other news, if this defensive player, Gentry, for USC is out then that obviously helps us. Both teams missing a key defensive player. Source for that USC injury report?

Amazing that even with replay, officials still can’t get it right.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT