ADVERTISEMENT

USC trip

shifix

Jun 20, 2008
Hey all I’m gonna make the trip out to Los Angeles to watch our Nits play USC. Never been out there for a game. Anybody got any advice or things to do while I’m out there? I plan on spending five days. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: psu00
Hey all I’m gonna make the trip out to Los Angeles to watch our Nits play USC. Never been out there for a game. Anybody got any advice or things to do while I’m out there? I plan on spending five days. Thanks in advance.
Don't try to drive in LA. It is insane. So much so that I have no desire to ever go back.

Reactions: joeaubie21
Our flights are already booked. Its going to be a quick turnaround for us. Flying out the day before and flying back the day after the game. Staying adjacent to the airport and taking their metro to/from the LA Coliseum.

I assume you'll have a car in which case drive over to Santa Monica and visit the Third Street Promenade and the Pier. A lot of shops and good places to eat and you might even bump into some celebrities since many hang out there. From Santa Monica drive up the Pacific Coast Highway to Malibu and check out the view from Pepperdine University overlooking the Pacific. Its one of the more beautiful campuses you'll ever see. When you're in Malibu stop at Neptune's Net for some seafood. Its an iconic place.

As you backtrack to LA on the PCH turn left onto Topanga Canyon Blvd (Rt27) and follow it up through some very virgin and picturesque terrain stopping at the Topanga Canyon lookout before connecting with the 101 (Ventura Freeway) toward Pasadena. If you've never been to Pasadena and seen the Rose Bowl this is you chance,

You can drive down to Long Beach (about 25 miles) and check out the Queen Mary. I believe they have tours every day. You can also drive down to San Diego (about 2 hours 120 miles from LA) and check out the city. If you decide to head that way, I would highly recommend Sunday Brunch in the Crown Room at the Hotel del Coranado but you'll need reservations and not made the last minute Crown Room.

Last edited:
One of my kids did undergrad in LA (Loyola Marymount) close to LAX. Other familiy have lived in LA. Been to USC game against CAL years ago. You'll get tired of the fight song on every first down/good play for USC!

Hard to argue with Hugh's recommendations Others to consider:
1) If car guy, the Peterson Auto museum downtown has a bunch of cars used in various movies. The Zimmerman Auto museum south of LAX has vintage cars.
2) The Peterson is close to the La Brea Tar pits/museum, so can knock out these two same day
3) If driving out of town, Joshua Tree interests some. Same with drive to Bear Lake
4) The Getty Museum
5) The Getty Villa if driving to Malibu. Pepperdine is nice campus. Can stope at Duke's for sunset dinner on the water.

Reactions: shifix
I have 3 cousins in LA and a son who spent the better part of the last 4 years there. Really neat area. Favorite things that we've done:

1) Malibu area- The Getty, beach, lunch at Malibu Seafood and dinners at Gladstones.. They live in Woodland Hills so easy shot through Topanga. https://malibuseafood.com/

2) Hollywood is like a bigger Times Square- but if you are there you might as well spend a morning. The people are half the show.

3) The new Academy Awards museum underdelivered...but it was still under construction. Hopefully it feels more complete. Early on 2 floors were not done and it seemed half of the things required extra $.

4) Chavez Ravine/Dodger Stadium was great- but a traffic nightmare to rival a PSU White Out

5) The Reagan Library in Simi Valley. We weren't too excited to go- seemed boring with so many other LA possibilities- but my cousin insisted and it was neat. Regardless of whatever your politics are- it is a slice of Americana and good history. In retirement I hope to visit more of these.

Enjoy and Go State!

Our flights are already booked. Its going to be a quick turnaround for us. Flying out the day before and flying back the day after the game. Staying adjacent to the airport and taking their metro to/from the LA Coliseum.

I assume you'll have a car in which case drive over to Santa Monica and visit the Third Street Promenade and the Pier. A lot of shops and good places to eat and you might even bump into some celebrities since many hang out there. From Santa Monica drive up the Pacific Coast Highway to Malibu and check out the view from Pepperdine University overlooking the Pacific. Its one of the more beautiful campuses you'll ever see. When you're in Malibu stop at Neptune's Net for some seafood. Its an iconic place.

As you backtrack to LA on the PCH turn left onto Topanga Canyon Blvd (Rt27) and follow it up through some very virgin and picturesque terrain stopping at the Topanga Canyon lookout before connecting with the 101 (Ventura Freeway) toward Pasadena. If you've never been to Pasadena and seen the Rose Bowl this is you chance,

You can drive down to Long Beach (about 25 miles) and check out the Queen Mary. I believe they have tours every day. You can also drive down to San Diego (about 2 hours 120 miles from LA) and check out the city. If you decide to head that way, I would highly recommend Sunday Brunch in the Crown Room at the Hotel del Coranado but you'll need reservations and not made the last minute Crown Room.
I was there two or three weeks ago and Toganga Canyon was closed due to a landslide. It is supposed to open soon, however.

I go to LA often and the advice given has been great. My "pro-tip" is to fly into LAX and stay at the Renaissance LA Airport. It is typically pretty inexpensive but the real benefit is that it is across the street from the LAX rental car locations. So you can save a lot of money by getting your car the next morning after arriving or dropping it off the day before you fly out and take the shuttle to the hotel. In addition, there is a good In-n-out burger about a half-mile walk away. This is a famous location at the end of the LAX runway. Its pretty cool.

My top places to visit:
  • Venice Beach
  • Santa Monica Pier
  • Malibu
  • Griffith Observatory
  • Grauman's Chinese Theater/Hollywood
  • Lebrea Tar Pits
  • Pepperdine, If you go a little further you can find Malibu High School where the football stadium overlooks the ocean.
  • SoFi Stadium

If you want a great place to eat in Malibu, I suggest Geoffrey's (five-star but dressy casual). Breakfast at Paradise Cove is fantastic (where many of the old beach blanket bingo movies were made). Two weeks ago, we ate at Dukes. Anyplace on the ocean is great because the real estate is worth $20m alone. As someone said, if you go up Topanga Canyon, there is a great place named The Inn of the Seventh Ray. Very unique and healthy food.

Also, park at Point Dume Beach and walk around the oceanfront and beach. If you catch it right, you see models and artists filming videos. If you are there on Sunday, stop off and go through an Open House. I went through one that was available for lease on the ocean. $39,000 per month. The owner has three of them on the ocean in Malibu. Jeesh.

maxresdefault.jpg

I go to LA often and the advice given has been great. My "pro-tip" is to fly into LAX and stay at the Renaissance LA Airport. It is typically pretty inexpensive but the real benefit is that it is across the street from the LAX rental car locations. So you can save a lot of money by getting your car the next morning after arriving or dropping it off the day before you fly out and take the shuttle to the hotel. In addition, there is a good In-n-out burger about a half-mile walk away. This is a famous location at the end of the LAX runway. Its pretty cool.

My top places to visit:
  • Venice Beach
  • Santa Monica Pier
  • Malibu
  • Griffith Observatory
  • Lebrea Tar Pits
  • Pepperdine, If you go a little further you can find Malibu High School where the football stadium overlooks the ocean.
  • SoFi Stadium

If you want a great place to eat in Malibu, I suggest Geoffrey's (five-star but dressy casual). Breakfast at Paradise Cove is fantastic (where many of the old beach blanket bingo movies were made). Two weeks ago, we ate at Dukes. Anyplace on the ocean is great because the real estate is worth $20m alone. As someone said, if you go up Topanga Canyon, there is a great place named The Inn of the Seventh Ray. Very unique and healthy food.

Also, park at Point Dume Beach and walk around the oceanfront and beach. If you catch it right, you see models and artists filming videos. If you are there on Sunday, stop off and go through an Open House. I went through one that was available for lease on the ocean. $39,000 per month. The owner has three of them on the ocean in Malibu. Jeesh.

maxresdefault.jpg
Great hotel suggestion- I usually stay with family but if I wasn't this is an A+ move.

That In-n-Out location is indeed famous- how many of us have gone there immediately after getting a rental car????? I have quite a few times! "Quality You Can Taste!"

Reactions: KCLion and Obliviax

My top places to visit:
  • Venice Beach
  • Santa Monica Pier
  • Malibu
  • Griffith Observatory
  • Lebrea Tar Pits
  • SoFi Stadium

maxresdefault.jpg

$39K/mo is exceptionally reasonable. In Southampton a rental on the ocean at a certain location in July and August will run you $750K/mo. But that's for a 9 bedroom property with 12 baths, gourmet kitchen, tennis court, glass elevator, infinity pool, 5 bay garage, electronic security gate, helicopter pad a quarter mile away, and total privacy.

Reactions: Obliviax
Not sure if it has been mentioned but the Reagan Library in Simi Valley is a good visit. They have exhibits and also the presidential library. If you are staying in LA then it is about an hour drive. You will want to time it as best you can to avoid the heaviest traffic but you will still hit traffic no matter when you travel there.

Reactions: shifix
Driving is bad, but not as bad as some would think - especially if you've ever been in a big city. Downtown LA is a ghost town if there aren't any sporting events around LA Live. Hit some of the beach towns like Laguna, Hermosa, or Manhattan. Venice is a freak show and probably a must-see, but be forewarned. After you gawk at the mansions in Beverly Hills and Westwood, cruise through Skid Row to see how f'd up we are as a country.

$39K/mo is exceptionally reasonable. In Southampton a rental on the ocean at a certain location in July and August will run you $750K/mo. But that's for a 9 bedroom property with 12 baths, gourmet kitchen, tennis court, glass elevator, infinity pool, 5 bay garage, electronic security gate, helicopter pad a quarter mile away, and total privacy.
Why do you need an electronic security gate? You don’t need one of those where I live.

I would avoid staying anywhere near the USC campus. Grab a place near LAX as mentioned by @Obliviax

Lots of great suggestions in the thread already. Last time I was in LA (last fall) I stayed in Santa Monica and 3rd street promenade was a ghost town, lots of closed up stores/shops. Santa Monica in general had homeless people (way more than normal) all over any grassy areas near the pier/beach. Very sad. When I lived in LA 3rd street was beautiful and packed with people.

Something else you can do (if you're into food and live music) that I don't think was mentioned is hit up the original Barney's Beanery in West Hollywood for some drinks/food then walk up to the sunset strip and try to catch some live music at the Whiskey, Roxy, Viper Room, etc. assuming those places are still around. Or eat some Italian food at Dan Tana's then see some bands at the Troubadour.

Get ready for disappointment. We have never beaten USC in California.
I heard a national rep saying USC would lose five games this year including to us. Said they are way down talent wise.

Last edited:
I heard a national rep saying USC would lose five handed this year including to us. Said they are way down talent wise.

Joel Klatt has USC at #15 in his preseason poll, (Penn St at #9). That said, he says he’s still high on Colorado this year so he’s either a genius or just plain stupid. ;)

Last edited:
Why do you need an electronic security gate? You don’t need one of those where I live.
Because these properties are owned by and rented to extremely high net worth individuals of notoriety who are accustomed to having security measures wherever they reside.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Spin Meister
S B is incredible. Ojai is chill too
This is a serious question. I partially grew up in Santa Barbara and graduated from high school there. I can see where it's a very nice place but I don't see where it is incredible. In my mind Hawaii is much better and over performs. Maybe I have been around oceans so long that I don't feel what other people feel.

I would add to all of the suggestions that have been made before that I would go to Hollywood just to see that it's not worth seeing. I visited Los Angeles twice in the last 3 years and all Hollywood is is a slum with knick knack stores. It is an amazingly downtrodden place considering how world famous it is. Absolutely nothing special about it at all.

This is a serious question. I partially grew up in Santa Barbara and graduated from high school there. I can see where it's a very nice place but I don't see where it is incredible. In my mind Hawaii is much better and over performs. Maybe I have been around oceans so long that I don't feel what other people feel.
Well, Hawaii is a long drive from the coliseum.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT