ADVERTISEMENT

USC...USC....USC

Obliviax

Gold Member
Aug 21, 2001
This is the most important game of the year (until we play Washington, LOL). According to Landen Tengwell

USC QB Miller Moss passing attempts/completions in the last 3 games

Vs Michigan: 28/51
Vs Wisconsin: 30/45
Vs Minnesota: 21/38

134 pass attempts in a 3 game span. Buckle up PSU DBs

This is the most important game of the year (until we play Washington, LOL). According to Landen Tengwell

Yup, the game lost some luster after USC's loss to Minnesota. Otherwise, the Trojans would have been easily ranked in the top-10.

But no question, it remains the most important game of the year to date for us. And their Minnesota loss won't make things easier. Meanwhile, the point spread has been bet up to 5.5.

Reactions: Obliviax
Yup, the game lost some luster after USC's loss to Minnesota. Otherwise, the Trojans would have been easily ranked in the top-10.

But no question, it remains the most important game of the year to date for us. And their Minnesota loss won't make things easier. Meanwhile, the point spread has been bet up to 5.5.
Is that because the wise guys have some injury information about USC, as that often is why a line will increase or decrease during the week?

Reactions: bdgan
Is that because the wise guys have some injury information about USC, as that often is why a line will increase or decrease during the week?
Or do they have some injury information about PSU?

I know USC has played without two of their best defensive players the last couple of weeks. Safety Arnold and LB Gentry.

Last edited:

I know USC has played without two of their best defensive players the last couple of weeks. Safety Arnold and LB Gentry.
No way can they have injury info on Penn State. Who does? Will we ever know what happened to Winston....no.

Early betting before any media has attended this week's practice sessions is most likely public confidence in PSU. The line goes up to persuade USC bets to even things out as much as possible.

Against Minnesota they actually had pretty good balance. 200 yards passing but only 5 yards per attempt. 172 yards rushing on 6.2 yards per attempt. So USC might be a better rushing team than some people expect.

Moss has 4 INTs on the year and 2 against MN. So if PSU can stop the run and force him to throw all day, that is probably a good thing. USC's got a lot of talent at wideout as usual, and they'll get their yards but PSU's corners have been very good so far this year I think. And Tom Allen's defense has always been good at scheming for interceptions.

BTW USC would have beaten MN fairly easily if not for 3 turnovers. MN defense hardly stopped them -- they only punted twice all day.

Their tight end was injured for the Wisconsin game with a knee injury; I don't know if he will be back for this game.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Against Minnesota they actually had pretty good balance. 200 yards passing but only 5 yards per attempt. 172 yards rushing on 6.2 yards per attempt. So USC might be a better rushing team than some people expect.

Moss has 4 INTs on the year and 2 against MN. So if PSU can stop the run and force him to throw all day, that is probably a good thing. USC's got a lot of talent at wideout as usual, and they'll get their yards but PSU's corners have been very good so far this year I think. And Tom Allen's defense has always been good at scheming for interceptions.

BTW USC would have beaten MN fairly easily if not for 3 turnovers. MN defense hardly stopped them -- they only punted twice all day.
Agree. USC didn't play their A game but will against us after being upset and dropped in the polls. But they are supposed to have a great set of WRs and their QB looked great in their opener vs LSU. On the other hand, this is not a great MN team. they've lost to North Carolina, Iowa (gave up 31 to Iowa's weak O), and Michigan. North Carolina, BTW, has lost to James Madison, Pitt and Duke.

USC has lost two out of the last three games.

The USC/Michigan box score is also interesting.

This is not a great Michigan team but Michigan ran for 290 against these guys -- 6.3 yard average. Michigan lost two fumbles still won the game.

USC may sell out to stop the run against PSU. If I were them I'd make Allar beat them through the air.

200 yards passing but only 5 yards per attempt. 172 yards rushing on 6.2 yards per attempt. So USC might be a better rushing team than some people expect.

Minnesota can't stop the run effectively. Probably good scouting on USC's part to say "let's run the ball on them", but why was their passing not so effective? I have a tough time understanding why we should be scared of this passing attack that can't protect its QB and just lost to an average Minnesota.

I think our secondary is rounding into shape as they adjust to the loss of Winston. I thought both Wheatley and Harris had great games this weekend.

It will be important not to fall into the trap of over rotation of our defenders. Elsdon needs to ride the pine much more. The thought of him in pass coverage vs USC sends shivers down my spine.

Reactions: RickinDayton
Minnesota can't stop the run effectively. Probably good scouting on USC's part to say "let's run the ball on them", but why was their passing not so effective? I have a tough time understanding why we should be scared of this passing attack that can't protect its QB and just lost to an average Minnesota.
I believe that Minnesota's pass defense stats are very good.

The USC/Michigan box score is also interesting.

This is not a great Michigan team but Michigan ran for 290 against these guys -- 6.3 yard average. Michigan lost two fumbles still won the game.

USC may sell out to stop the run against PSU. If I were them I'd make Allar beat them through the air.
Lets hope Singleton is 100%

I believe that Minnesota's pass defense stats are very good.
they've got a FR safety named Koi Perich that is going to be all B1G. Kid is really good. MN kid that wanted to stay in MN

Agree. USC didn't play their A game but will against us after being upset and dropped in the polls. But they are supposed to have a great set of WRs and their QB looked great in their opener vs LSU. On the other hand, this is not a great MN team. they've lost to North Carolina, Iowa (gave up 31 to Iowa's weak O), and Michigan. North Carolina, BTW, has lost to James Madison, Pitt and Duke.

USC has lost two out of the last three games.
Yeah losing two out of three might mean they're super fired up and ready to make a statement against PSU. Or it might mean they're just not very good. Maybe a bit of both. It's awfully deflating to let a game slip through your hands in the 4th quarter in Minneapolis. Don't PSU fans know the pain.

They are #1 in pass yards allowed. Sounds great.

But... look at their schedule.

Michigan - worst P4 passing offense with Orji
Iowa - they have set the forward pass back by about 70 years
Nevada - 99th passing O
Rhode Island - FCS
North Carolina - lost their QB when they played
Nice. It's good example of how stats often say more about the team's opponents than the team.

Nice. It's good example of how stats often say more about the team's opponents than the team.

Watching USC vs Minnesota now. Lots of wind early. USC ran well on the opening drive, but probably not enough. All the passing was short.

USC has a decent RB and their OL is much better running the ball than they are protecting the QB. They also have two very good/athletic WRs. Moss has been good, but capable of mistakes.

I think USC tries to establish the run early to help open up the pass later. Their tackles have not been good, I'm sure Riley is worried about protecting Moss against our pass rush. I think staying on schedule is going to be USC's #1 goal offensively.

Their defense has been much improved, especially their secondary. But as mentioned, teams have been able to run on their front seven. I think this is where the true chess match will take place. Does USC sellout on stopping the run, and force Allar to be the guy on the road? Allar has been inconsistent in road games in his career. And then does PSU come in and try and bully the ball down USC's throat? Will Donkah play? Is Singleton going to be hobbled?

Stop the run, get after the QB and mix up coverages on D. Pound the rock on O, with a few mid to long passes to keep them honest. If we do this we win comfortably.

Unlike the past 2 weeks, a 7 point lead will not feel comfortably safe against USC, so we need points at every opportunity.

I'm guessing that this will probably be a 50/50 crowd or close to it.

I think our secondary is rounding into shape as they adjust to the loss of Winston. I thought both Wheatley and Harris had great games this weekend.

It will be important not to fall into the trap of over rotation of our defenders. Elsdon needs to ride the pine much more. The thought of him in pass coverage vs USC sends shivers down my spine.
Every time Elsdon is in the game, the opposition goes right at his areas of responsibility.

Moss is battered. He's been hit more than any QB (in the Big 10) and the quickest in the country I believe (2.08 seconds on average).

LT Page is a freshman turnstile.

Minnesota doesn't look outclassed nor considerably less talented so far.

Reactions: Obliviax
Moss is battered. He's been hit more than any QB (in the Big 10) and the quickest in the country I believe (2.08 seconds on average).

LT Page is a freshman turnstile.

Minnesota doesn't look outclassed nor considerably less talented so far.
I didn't know that. USC has a ton of talent and recruits really well. Plus, they have a top-notch coach in Lincoln Riley. Their DC is a PSU guy who will have his defense ready for us. This is going to be a tough game.

Reactions: lazydave841

Minnesota beat them @Minny.... PSU faces a much steeper challenge playing @USC in a mid-afternoon time-slot which will feel more like a late-morning kick to a jet-lagged PSU squad. Going east-to-west coast-to-coast is the hardest roadtrip and adjustment you can make.

I'm not seeing a true deep threat from the USC offense. OL doesn't pass block very well for very long. They make their yards on short throws with yards after the catch.

Minnesota beat them @Minny.... PSU faces a much steeper challenge playing @USC in a mid-afternoon time-slot which will feel more like a late-morning kick to a jet-lagged PSU squad. Going east-to-west coast-to-coast is the hardest roadtrip and adjustment you can make.
FWIW it's the other way around. Afternoon game in Cali will feel like an evening game. Having done a lot of bicoastal travel, I think going east to west is a lot easier for daytime activities. It becomes challenging to stay awake late at night. They're flying out Thursday so they get hopefully two good night's sleep w/ good beds and good food. The team should be fine. And California stadiums don't usually get loud like B1G stadiums.

I'm not seeing a true deep threat from the USC offense. OL doesn't pass block very well for very long. They make their yards on short throws with yards after the catch.
My perception is that PSU gives up a lot of pass yards in the middle of the field because they move and blitz LBs and safeties (Reed). A lot of those are quick release passes intended to beat the pressure.

Last edited:
Pretty absurd to say SC airport should extend the runway bc the football team has to drive to H-burg 1 or 2 times a year. There are like 6 flight of small regional jets a day at that airport
Well, it is needed anyway as SC grows. Could they take two planes? Might that be less expensive than making the runway longer? How disruptive is taking the bus to Harrisburg? It is a 1:30 drive but they have to bus to the SC airport too (I know it is less but the prep in boarding and unboarding is still there).

Did UCLA fly direct to State College or did they bus up from Harrisburg?
good question. he did say this was a consideration when looking at B1G expansion. I have also heard the media complain about the airport and lack of capabilities over the years. And, the cell phones. my God the cell phones!

good question. he did say this was a consideration when looking at B1G expansion. I have also heard the media complain about the airport and lack of capabilities over the years. And, the cell phones. my God the cell phones!
I think it was Bobby Knight but I'm not sure. They took 2 planes and when he saw the small runway in State College he told the pilot to let the other plane land first.

IIRC the expanded the runway at SC airport after joining the Big Ten so it can accommodate larger planes. I would assume the issue here is that for a flight to the west coast they need a jet with enough fuel and those cannot be accommodated at State College.

FWIW it's the other way around. Afternoon game in Cali will feel like an evening game. Having done a lot of bicoastal travel, I think going east to west is a lot easier for daytime activities. It becomes challenging to stay awake late at night. They're flying out Thursday so they get hopefully two good night's sleep w/ good beds and good food. The team should be fine. And California stadiums don't usually get loud like B1G stadiums.

Nope, don't agree - you're talking about Pacific Time vs Eastern Time, which is not what I'm saying at all. The day PSU travels to Left-Coast, the team will likely be up for 20 straight hours (versus 16 hours typically if you assume 8 hours of sleep) - you never get that 4 hours of missing sleep on travel-day back which is precisely what causes "jet lag" - and typically, one day is not sufficient for the body to adjust (i.e., you remain "lagged" - i.e., tired - for a several day adjustment period). This "lag" does not happen as much on the opposite trip as you are up only 12 hours (rather than the normal 16) before you go to sleep again on travel-day. So PSU will likely still feel like they're missing some sleep (and still feel "jet lagged" on Saturday) - IOW, as if it was a morning kick.

Nope, don't agree - you're talking about Pacific Time vs Eastern Time, which is not what I'm saying at all. The day PSU travels to Left-Coast, the team will likely be up for 20 hours (versus 16 hours typically if you assume 8 hours of sleep) - you never get that 4 hours of missing sleep on travel-day back which is precisely what causes "jet lag" - and typically, one day is not sufficient for the body to adjust (i.e., you remain "lagged" - i.e., tired - for a several day adjustment period). This "lag" does not happen as much on the opposite trip as you are up only 12 hours (rather than the normal 16) before you go to sleep again on travel-day. So PSU will likely still feel like they're missing some sleep (and still feel "jet lagged" on Saturday) - IOW, as if it was a morning kick.
It's not like they're traveling to Australia. The weekend before last, Wisconsin was so jet lagged that they had a 21-10 halftime lead at USC.

Nope, don't agree - you're talking about Pacific Time vs Eastern Time, which is not what I'm saying at all. The day PSU travels to Left-Coast, the team will likely be up for 20 straight hours (versus 16 hours typically if you assume 8 hours of sleep) - you never get that 4 hours of missing sleep on travel-day back which is precisely what causes "jet lag" - and typically, one day is not sufficient for the body to adjust (i.e., you remain "lagged" - i.e., tired - for a several day adjustment period). This "lag" does not happen as much on the opposite trip as you are up only 12 hours (rather than the normal 16) before you go to sleep again on travel-day. So PSU will likely still feel like they're missing some sleep (and still feel "jet lagged" on Saturday) - IOW, as if it was a morning kick.

What the heck are you talking about? You just go to bed "early" when you get to the west coast (really just the same time that you would go to bed if still at home in the east) and get your normal amount of sleep (8 hours or whatever). The game kicks off at 3:30 ET not some weird late night hour.

Reactions: gogolion
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT