ADVERTISEMENT

Use of foot question

gymdad

Feb 3, 2003
question - in Nolf's match vs Smith Jason used his foot pushing heavily on Smith's single leg hand grip then the head. Jason broke Smith's hold and secured the takedown. Do not see others use their feet in this manner... especially to head. If legal wondering why more don't use it
Thanks for educating me

question - in Nolf's match vs Smith Jason used his foot pushing heavily on Smith's single leg hand grip then the head. Jason broke Smith's hold and secured the takedown. Do not see others use their feet in this manner... especially to head. If legal wondering why more don't use it
Thanks for educating me

Don't believe it's illegal as long as you don't use a "kicking motion" with it. However, it could be called potentially dangerous depending on placement of foot and would end the scramble.

Can still use it to push the head, just not kick or stomp.

Another reason it's rare is that it almost always puts both feet fairly close to each other. This while on the mat forces hips down, where guys are taught to keep hips up.

So...the short answer. Jason Nolf does Jason Nolf type things. I could be mistaken, but I belief that there is a contingency of people who think that Jason Nolf is decent at performing wrestling type moves.

We've looked this up before. The rulebook has no specific language on this, though the "Infractions" section covers it. By rule Jason did nothing wrong, though below are the consequences of intentional acts. Depending on severity...

5.5 Unnecessary Roughness

Unnecessary roughness involves physical acts that occur during a match. It
includes any act that exceeds normal aggressiveness. It would include, but
is not limited to, a forceful slap to the head or face, gouging or poking the
eyes, a forceful application of a crossface, a forceful trip, or a forearm or
elbow used in a punishing way, such as on the spine or the back of the head
or neck. Points for unnecessary roughness shall be awarded in addition to
points earned. (See Penalty Table for sequence of penalties. For unnecessary
roughness signal, see No. 26 on Signal Chart.)

5.6 Flagrant Misconduct
5.6.1 Prematch, Match or Postmatch Period. During the prematch, match or
postmatch period, flagrant misconduct committed by either wrestler, such
as intentionally striking an opponent, deliberately attempting to injure an
opponent, or any act serious enough to disqualify a wrestler from an event,
shall be penalized by the deduction of one team point, disqualification of
that contestant, removal from the premises, declaration of the opponent
as the winner and the award of six points to the opponent’s team. For
tournaments, a team point shall be deducted from the offender’s team
score, the opponent declared the winner and two team points awarded
for advancement.

Last edited:
I saw that and also wondered about safety to the neck. But with the ref'ing at that meet if it was remotely close to an infraction it would have been called, on us anyway.

...I have often wondered why a wrestler who has one of his opponent's legs lifted up does not simply step on top of his other foot, pinning it in place and causing his opponent to fall to the mat ... it seems it would limit his opponent's being able to break free...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT