ADVERTISEMENT

Vega Ioane

PSUNYGNYY

Jul 15, 2018
At 6’4” 340 is a switch to Dline a possibility? He played OLine/Dline in HS, but most of his highlights are him on the OLine so I don’t know if he’s athletic enough to make the switch. He’s a mauler for sure and definitely would move people on the IOL, but with Wormley and Tengwell coming back along with Wallace potential moving inside not to mention Birchmier and Williams coming in we have the depth to move him to DLine.

He's liable to win RG outright next year.
Probably not. He’s not beating out Wormley who’s been solid. With Birchmeier and Williams coming in they both could see time at G or T. Williams is our highest rated OLine recruit ever and could push for time at RT and Birchmeier is a stud too so the options are unlimited. I agree that this is probably the most talent we’ll have on the OLine since 1994.

Reactions: Online Persona
Franklin just gave him high praise today, why would they reverse and put him at DT? That’s nuts

Probably not. He’s not beating out Wormley who’s been solid. With Birchmeier and Williams coming in they both could see time at G or T. Williams is our highest rated OLine recruit ever and could push for time at RT and Birchmeier is a stud too so the options are unlimited. I agree that this is probably the most talent we’ll have on the OLine since 1994.
You don't know that Loane won't beat out Wormley. Wormley was nothing special this season.

Franklin said that both Birchmeier and Williams will begin at OT at PSU this Spring.

At 6’4” 340 is a switch to Dline a possibility? He played OLine/Dline in HS, but most of his highlights are him on the OLine so I don’t know if he’s athletic enough to make the switch. He’s a mauler for sure and definitely would move people on the IOL, but with Wormley and Tengwell coming back along with Wallace potential moving inside not to mention Birchmier and Williams coming in we have the depth to move him to DLine.
Loane looks like a stud interior OL player.

Wallace has proven he is an average or below average Big10 OT. Staff would never move him to DL, but I'd rather they would move Wallace than Loane........

He’s not beating out Wormley who’s been solid.

I think he's an off season of pass protection work from making it into the lineup at some point in '23. I think he's minimally that 6th guy who rotates in (a la Nourzad) if he doesn't overtake the spot.

I also think that this is played close to the vest based on injuries and how the freshmen do this spring as EEs.

I think he's an off season of pass protection work from making it into the lineup at some point in '23. I think he's minimally that 6th guy who rotates in (a la Nourzad) if he doesn't overtake the spot.

I also think that this is played close to the vest based on injuries and how the freshmen do this spring as EEs.
Yep, Franklin said that both Williams and Birchmeier will start at PSU at OT.

With lots of experienced players returning and the left side solid with Fashanu and Tengwell coming back, I'd bet there will be a ton of experiments, combinations, and moves during the Spring among the returning players and the stud freshmen to put together Center, RG and R-OT. Nourzad reportedly is the backup Center for the Rose Bowl, but he might not come out of Spring practice at the top of the depth chart at Center. It would also not surprise me to see a player like Birchmeier have a very short career at OT and then to end up the 2nd team Center for 2023 after Fall practice and then be ready to be a multi year starter at Center beginning in 2024 or mid 2023 if whoever starts doesn't do well.

And if Loane keeps improving he may be a co-starter at RG with whichever upper classman, likely Wormley, who ends up at RG out of Fall camp.

I'd imagine many here, me included, hope Shelton moves to Right OT and pushes Wallace inside or to 2nd team, but it will probably take Shelton being just too good not to play for that to happen considering Franklin's history of favoring experience and seniority in the past.

It's been a long time since PSU had enough returning players with starting experience as well as above average performance battling to form the next season's OL, especially with a couple of true stud freshmen enrolling early and looking to try and see the field as well.

Reactions: lazydave841

No, no, and no. Don’t even think about it. Just look at Vega’s recruiting video and you will see the guy is a wrecking ball as an OL. PSU needs to get more OL like Vega.

ADVERTISEMENT