ADVERTISEMENT

Very nice win...still a lot of football to be played...but 10-2 looks achievable

Also, about the refs, I got a good laugh from a comment on the game thread to the effect that "now I know what a Michigan fan feels like."

Amen to that. It's nice when the zebras cut you some breaks. Or just call an even game.

On Ji'Ayir Brown's interception, I held my breath waiting for a pass interference call. Never came.

Conversely a fortuitous pass interference call on Minnesota kept a key drive alive in the 3rd quarter and set up the TD that allowed us to pull away.

I slam the B1G refs here a lot, so it's only fitting that they should be praised when they don't go out of their way to screw us over.

Figure the odds that will be the case again next week.
The fortuitous pass interference call should have been a holding call. It happened right in front of us and was clearly holding on the receiver. I can’t for the life of me understand how the ref called it PI. Result would have been the same, but it was a bad look for the officials.

We can’t have any more Charlie Foxtrots in special teams when we can’t decide if we are going to punt or not. Also, it didn’t matter yesterday, but how did we not expect an on-side kick after Minny scored in the 4th quarter? Full media TO after the score and then we have to take a TO because we did not anticipate the onside and had to get different personnel on the field.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
The fortuitous pass interference call should have been a holding call. It happened right in front of us and was clearly holding on the receiver. I can’t for the life of me understand how the ref called it PI. Result would have been the same, but it was a bad look for the officials.

I think the officials missed the initial hold but saw the end of it as the ball became airborne.

Exactly. 10-2 with this schedule and bad losses to Michigan and Ohio State isn't impressive. An improvement over last year but not where we need to be.
We are what we are. A legit chance at 10-2, better than what most expected.

Reactions: mcpat

I think it has to do with the ball being in the air. Some would argue catchability, but the WR was mugged instantly and given no shot to get to his route.

it also seemed like we got a beneficial no-call on the interception

a psu defender appeared to push the receiver to the ground right in front of the ref. i kept waiting for the flag

King was looking for the ball when the WR fell. King didn't shove him. If King wasn't looking, they likely do throw that flag. Similar to Porter's one deflection on the sideline. You get by with incidental contact when you are looking for the ball and playing it vs face guarding the WR.

Add Michigan in there. Dabo is going to raise living hell when he doesn't get in the playoffs this year at 13-0...and hopefully that will be enough for the committee to stop dragging their feet on the 12 team playoffs
If Clemson goes 13-0 they'll get in.

Reactions: Jerry

Right, and if my memory is correct, the ball ended up well overthrown, so they could have picked up the flag on those grounds. Granted, the fact that the receiver was held, which on replay did look to be the case, may have played a part in his being nowhere near where the ball was thrown. Anyway, the point is I've seen calls (or non-calls) like that go against us many times. But not last night.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
The TV replays even showed PJ Fleck arguing that it would have been OK if they called holding but for some reason it was DPI. Also are uncatchable balls being a reason to not call DPI a thing in college, because that ball wasn't going to be caught.

Agreed. No way does an unbeaten conference champ Clemson get shut out of the playoff in favor of one (or two) 1-loss teams.
Maybe--I guess we'll see. I just think people will ask themselves--can Clemson with DJU at QB beat Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, Ohio State or Michigan? Hard to say yes to any of that.

Also, about the refs, I got a good laugh from a comment on the game thread to the effect that "now I know what a Michigan fan feels like."

Amen to that. It's nice when the zebras cut you some breaks. Or just call an even game.

On Ji'Ayir Brown's interception, I held my breath waiting for a pass interference call. Never came.

Conversely a fortuitous pass interference call on Minnesota kept a key drive alive in the 3rd quarter and set up the TD that allowed us to pull away.

I slam the B1G refs here a lot, so it's only fitting that they should be praised when they don't go out of their way to screw us over.

Figure the odds that will be the case again next week.
Well, if you are a true professional B2G conspiracist you would say that the referines took care of us for two reasons. One is that helping us win builds Michigan’s resumé. Plus it sets up a big game next week for the Suckeyes which need a strong opponent for their resumé as the only team with a winning record that they have played so far is Toledo. Both need us to have a good record so both can make the playoffs.

The TV replays even showed PJ Fleck arguing that it would have been OK if they called holding but for some reason it was DPI. Also are uncatchable balls being a reason to not call DPI a thing in college, because that ball wasn't going to be caught.
IDK about that. If our receiver hadn’t been held he could possibly have run a deep route and maybe caught that pass. He may have cut off the route knowing he was held too long to run the route called.

Well, if you are a true professional B2G conspiracist you would say that the referines took care of us for two reasons. One is that helping us win builds Michigan’s resumé. Plus it sets up a big game next week for the Suckeyes which need a strong opponent for their resumé as the only team with a winning record that they have played so far is Toledo. Both need us to have a good record so both can make the playoffs.

Haha! Love it, Spin. I didn't think of that angle... ;)

I mean, I'd take a 1 loss Bama, Michigan, Ohio State, Georgia and Tennessee over 13-0 Clemson....which is why a 4 team playoff is beyond stupid.
You would think that the powers that be in CFB would understand that a playoff with 12 teams would keep a hell of a lot more fans engaged and interested. Interested in watching their team play and watching other teams that are vying with them for one of those 12 playoff spots. Staying at a four team playoff beyond this year is a real head scratcher.

You would think that the powers that be in CFB would understand that a playoff with 12 teams would keep a hell of a lot more fans engaged and interested. Interested in watching their team play and watching other teams that are vying with them for one of those 12 playoff spots. Staying at a four team playoff beyond this year is a real head scratcher.
Completely agree. If there was a 12 team playoff I'd be very excited about our situation this year.

Reactions: TN Lion
The 4 team playoff wouldn't be so bad if were weren't in the dynasty era of CFB where the same 3-4 teams make it every year. Both of these things happening at the same time are not good for the sport. I really don't care about a playoff with OSU, UGA, Bama and Clemson anymore, we've seen it over and over and at this point I'm numb to it and couldn't care less which of those teams emerges as the winner.

Twelve is too many. Don’t want to have to play a team that had a bye. And it is too many games for a team that plays all three playoff games. Twelve game season, a league title game and three playoff games. And there seems to be a big difference between one and ten.

An eight team playoff is about right.

Agreed--kind of hope it happens though. Add in an 11-1 Michigan or Ohio State as well

I think if they all end up with 1 loss and Clemson is undefeated, Clemson is your 1 seed. Wake, NC State, Syracuse have ranked teams. They still play ND. They'll get Dabo Doubt and definitely be in.

It's if they are #4/#5, and the top ranked SEC team loses the ccg to #4/#5 that things get iffy.

What about TCU? 4 straight ranked victories. Schedule gets easier (everyone left already has 3 losses). They'll probably slip up in a Big 12 shootout, but if they escape unscathed?

Twelve is too many. Don’t want to have to play a team that had a bye. And it is too many games for a team that plays all three playoff games. Twelve game season, a league title game and three playoff games. And there seems to be a big difference between one and ten.

An eight team playoff is about right.
And for me 12 isn't enough. It should be at least 16 and likely 24 like FCS
I'm not expecting the lower seeds to win often but sometimes they will. And it's just like a double digit seed beating a top seed in March Madness. Even that random occasional upset is completely worth the other years of blowouts.

I think if they all end up with 1 loss and Clemson is undefeated, Clemson is your 1 seed. Wake, NC State, Syracuse have ranked teams. They still play ND. They'll get Dabo Doubt and definitely be in.

It's if they are #4/#5, and the top ranked SEC team loses the ccg to #4/#5 that things get iffy.

What about TCU? 4 straight ranked victories. Schedule gets easier (everyone left already has 3 losses). They'll probably slip up in a Big 12 shootout, but if they escape unscathed?
Will NC State or Syracuse even be ranked at the end of the year? Will ND?
I mean, you might be right--I'm not saying you're wrong but if I had a vote they wouldn't be in. Doesn't make me right JMO.

TCU getting left out is almost a certainty but again I'd like to see the chaos if they do run the table.

And for me 12 isn't enough. It should be at least 16 and likely 24 like FCS
I'm not expecting the lower seeds to win often but sometimes they will. And it's just like a double digit seed beating a top seed in March Madness. Even that random occasional upset is completely worth the other years of blowouts.
But this isn’t basketball. Too violent, too physical, too any injuries.

The 4 team playoff wouldn't be so bad if were weren't in the dynasty era of CFB where the same 3-4 teams make it every year. Both of these things happening at the same time are not good for the sport. I really don't care about a playoff with OSU, UGA, Bama and Clemson anymore, we've seen it over and over and at this point I'm numb to it and couldn't care less which of those teams emerges as the winner.
Then you should be rooting for TN to run the table. There is your outlier, fresh face to the party.

I would prefer a simple 8 game playoff with the first week being home games for the top 4 teams. 12 creates too many potential games following conference championship games. And how many of these guys will make nfl “business “ decisions to sit out such an expanded format.

I would prefer a simple 8 game playoff with the first week being home games for the top 4 teams. 12 creates too many potential games following conference championship games. And how many of these guys will make nfl “business “ decisions to sit out such an expanded format.
None--no one is sitting out a playoff game

None--no one is sitting out a playoff game
I will not be surprised when it happens. It will happen. Even only 5 years ago I could not have predicted any of the nonsense that occurs regularly now. Hell, Parsons sat out a season.

And do we need conference championship games?
Get rid of the divisions and decide the champ based on tiebreakers like in the past
Mandate conferences have at least 12 teams--play 11 conference games--no more nonsense of playing the MAC--force ND to join one

Reactions: lazydave841
I will not be surprised when it happens. It will happen. Even only 5 years ago I could not have predicted any of the nonsense that occurs regularly now. Hell, Parsons sat out a season.
As he should have because of COVID
No one cares (people that matter/scouts) about a kid sitting out a bowl game but no one has sat out a playoff game. Playoff games actually matter. We know bowls don't as much as some want to pretend they do

Will NC State or Syracuse even be ranked at the end of the year? Will ND?
I mean, you might be right--I'm not saying you're wrong but if I had a vote they wouldn't be in. Doesn't make me right JMO.

TCU getting left out is almost a certainty but again I'd like to see the chaos if they do run the table.

I don't want 2-3 SEC teams nor 2 Big 10 teams (even if it somehow meant us) in a 4 team playoff. 12, sure.

Going undefeated is hard. If we're going to punish teams for conference quality, let's merge them.

I don't want 2-3 SEC teams nor 2 Big 10 teams (even if it somehow meant us) in a 4 team playoff. 12, sure.

Going undefeated is hard. If we're going to punish teams for conference quality, let's merge them.
I would love to alter the set up of FBS but as it is those things matter
I'd love Alabama vs. Ohio State and Georgia vs. Michigan just so everyone would want a 12 team to start next year.

I agree and only used 12 in my post as that is what is expected to be. I've always thought that eight is the perfect number for College Football.

Reactions: LMTLION
I would love to alter the set up of FBS but as it is those things matter
I'd love Alabama vs. Ohio State and Georgia vs. Michigan just so everyone would want a 12 team to start next year.

Oh my. Should I laugh or vomit at that setup?

I think it has to do with the ball being in the air. Some would argue catchability, but the WR was mugged instantly and given no shot to get to his route.

King was looking for the ball when the WR fell. King didn't shove him. If King wasn't looking, they likely do throw that flag. Similar to Porter's one deflection on the sideline. You get by with incidental contact when you are looking for the ball and playing it vs face guarding the WR.

I believe their legs/fett did tangle a bit as King looked back for ball, but that is not PI. King did not shove him as you say.

ADVERTISEMENT